Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Is this good enough for an avatar? Maybe I should make it a little bigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Full game spoilers, seriously don't read this until you're done.

I love this game. I don't think that's really a controversial opinion seeing as the goon opinion is that this game is AT LEAST among the best the series has to offer. Central to this, I think, is how this game handled Apollo, someone who as the main character in their own game, had almost no agency in any other game. Phoenix was driving the main plot, and Klavier was so loving perfect that he figured out the murderer in 4-2 and 4-3 well before Apollo did. 4-1 and 4-4 Apollo, and you by extension, don't feel any accomplishment because it's really just Phoenix using you to take down Kristoph and restore his good name.

DD was a BIT kinder to Apollo, seeing as newcomer Athena treats him with respect and learns from him. Still, Athena, the newest character, basically drives the plot, and Apollo, while definitely having a major presence in the story, leaves it up to Phoenix to save the day.

SO. We finally get to Spirit of Justice. Phoenix, as expected, kickstarts the game. We get to case 2 and Apollo takes down an extremely intelligent enemy of his family with a plan that would have been flawless if not for Bonny's clumsiness. This earns him the respect of Phoenix, and in a lesser game like DD, that would be the end of Apollo's plot. However we learn in case 3 that Apollo is related to the main prosecutor and the enigmatic force behind the scenes. Case 4 happens and is just kinda there. Then case 5 has you back as Apollo and even has you beat Phoenix Wright in court. Ok cool, Apollo's story is done, time for Phoenix to resolve the rest of the plot.

Only no, you're investigating day 2 as Apollo. Then it switches to Phoenix and Edgeworth. Ok NOW it's time for Phoenix to save the day right? Only no, you stay as Apollo after that, and for the rest of the game. At every intermission you're wondering if Phoenix is going to come back and solve the rest of the case, but no, this game is really about Apollo's past, present, and future. In the end he ends up solving a case greater than any his mentor has solved (much like 3-5) and seeing as he's become his own man, he establishes his own law office. Apollo, the character that ended up shafted in favor of everyone else, has actually had the most complete character arc in the series, pretty much because of one game.

Sorry, that's a pretty long-winded explanation, but this game seriously amazed me. Apollo Justice was inconsistent as gently caress and Dual Destinies pretty much just played things safe, but this game definitely felt like it moved the franchise forward. I have no doubt that this team has at least as much talent as Shu Takumi to create a compelling narrative.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't even gotten to the meat of Case 4 and this already feels really out of place. Case 4s are usually tragic backstories that we triumphantly rebound from at the end.

This cannot be that.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't even gotten to the meat of Case 4 and this already feels really out of place. Case 4s are usually tragic backstories that we triumphantly rebound from at the end.

This cannot be that.

Blackquill gotta have his noodles

Just think of Case 4 as a breather that acts as a heavy bludgeon for the games overarching theme of Inheritance and passing things on to the next generation with a mix of love and family

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Just started on the game now. Is the frame rate a little low for anyone else? I'm using an OG Gen 1 3DS because it's capture-modded and I can't upgrade. It's not a huge issue, the game being what is essentially a graphic novel with music and cutscenes; I'm just wondering if the game was optimized for New 3DS or something.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Maple Leaf posted:

Just started on the game now. Is the frame rate a little low for anyone else? I'm using an OG Gen 1 3DS because it's capture-modded and I can't upgrade. It's not a huge issue, the game being what is essentially a graphic novel with music and cutscenes; I'm just wondering if the game was optimized for New 3DS or something.

No, there will be noticeable lag at points regardless of which 3DS you use.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

With how much he tells people to let things go, I wouldn't be surprised if someone had already drawn Nahyuta as Elsa.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Is this good enough for an avatar? Maybe I should make it a little bigger?

That really has to be paired with the full shot of RDJ actually holding the camera and notepad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Here's the full image if anyone better at making avatars wants to take a crack at it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Case 4: THIS IS NOT PROPER RAKUGO ATTIRE. I AM GETTING CIRCUS FLASHBACKS!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Here's the full image if anyone better at making avatars wants to take a crack at it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Waffleman_ posted:

Case 4: THIS IS NOT PROPER RAKUGO ATTIRE. I AM GETTING CIRCUS FLASHBACKS!

One difference is that, aside from being just "there", case 4 owns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My feeling on each case:

Case 1: Surprisingly long and involved for a tutorial, and I didn't like the witness/villain as much as everyone else seems to. Yeah, his animations are kinda funny, but his singing just annoyed me with how long it took to print out his text boxes (later I just set the game to allow me to skip unread text). And, well, it was long and involved while still being not all that interesting, since it was basically still a tutorial. I felt it was kind of dull, overly long, and served mostly just to set up the main conflict of the game with the DCA

Case 2: Probably the best "pure" Ace Attorney case in this game. It wasn't all that connected to the overall plot, but all the characters involved were excellent, and the way Apollo and Athena bounce off each other is still good. On the other hand, dusting for fingerprints somehow managed to shoot up to being the worst minigame in the entire series. Especially pointless since Ema was right there and could have just given us the results without wasting our time.

Case3: Also a good case. Honestly, I kind of like the Insight minigame, since it's an interesting way to mix things up without changing the basic premise of finding contradictions. Helped greatly by the ability to easily jump to any part of the video. Unlike, say, Apollo's Perceive thing where you know what the lie is ahead of time but have to wait forever for them to get to that part so you can start searching for the twitch. And then wait again if you don't find it in time. Using channeling for the witness testimony was great, and the final twist was emotionally satisfying too. One downside is that I really lost interest with Nahyuta around this time. It's where his monk gimmick, which may have been okay on its own, started taking a backseat to him just constantly insulting the lawyers with religious-themed threats. Which got old really fast.

Case 4: Pure filler. I honestly wonder if they had this case written for the previous game as like potential DLC or something and pulled it out of the drawer for this one just to give Athena and Blackquill some screentime with a some minor rewrites to fit the new prosecutor. And then spent the entire trial insulting Athena for some reason. I don't think the game really needed the downtime either, given the start of Case 5. On the other hand, it was pretty funny how ridiculously Japanese it tried to be. Rakugo is cool, and honestly I'm a bit disappointed that they turned the performer into multiple personalities. I mean, they treated it pretty well for what it is, but he was cooler when he was just an actor putting on multiple personas.

Case 5: Honestly this is two entirely separate cases stuck together. I feel like the first half of it could easily have been case 4 in some older draft. That said, extending either half any more than they already are might have been too much. I loved the fact that it wasn't actually a criminal trial this time around, and both of he witnesses are great too. I also love the fact that Apollo gets a brand new backstory in every game he appears in: I hope this trend continues, if they don't just decide that he's effectively retired now.

The actual final case though was, hmm. Maybe trying a bit too hard to be dramatic? I don't mind any of the twists, really, it's just that they tried to make it really personal and I don't think that always succeeded. Dhurke being dead was great for Apollo, and while I figured that someone had been channeled continuously and was already dead, I didn't expect it to be the defendant. On the other hand, Nahyuta taking the blame for the murder was just stupid and made no sense. We had spent half the trial proving that only a spirit channeler could have committed the crime, so why didn't anyone try and point out that it was impossible for him to have done it? Ignoring of course the fact that it was committed without spirit channeling, which was handwaved by a quick "I ordered her to lie on the stand, no biggie" that they hardly even drew attention to. And then there's the fact that the Queen couldn't channel, which had definitely been hinted at throughout the game but still felt like it came out of nowhere just to give Apollo a chance at the end. Like, it didn't actually matter to the plot or anything, and they said she was obsessed with the Founder's Orb except we never saw any evidence of that. And why the heck did she try to kill her sister in a fire when she needed her sister to pretend to channel for her in order to maintain her authority? Was it all just a fake murder attempt to convince Amara to distrust her husband and go into hiding?

I just feel like a lot of factual explanations of the case were left half-baked to focus on the character drama, which I think is weird for a game about using evidence to prove things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

More Case 4: I'm mostly uncomfortable with Geiru because I've listened to the clown fetish episode of The F Plus and I know this is getting some people playing the game going.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

More Case 4: I'm mostly uncomfortable with Geiru because I've listened to the clown fetish episode of The F Plus and I know this is getting some people playing the game going.

The Judge, for one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The Judge, for one.

:gonk: I KNOW!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

Case 5: Honestly this is two entirely separate cases stuck together. I feel like the first half of it could easily have been case 4 in some older draft. That said, extending either half any more than they already are might have been too much. I loved the fact that it wasn't actually a criminal trial this time around, and both of he witnesses are great too. I also love the fact that Apollo gets a brand new backstory in every game he appears in: I hope this trend continues, if they don't just decide that he's effectively retired now.

The actual final case though was, hmm. Maybe trying a bit too hard to be dramatic? I don't mind any of the twists, really, it's just that they tried to make it really personal and I don't think that always succeeded. Dhurke being dead was great for Apollo, and while I figured that someone had been channeled continuously and was already dead, I didn't expect it to be the defendant. On the other hand, Nahyuta taking the blame for the murder was just stupid and made no sense. We had spent half the trial proving that only a spirit channeler could have committed the crime, so why didn't anyone try and point out that it was impossible for him to have done it? Ignoring of course the fact that it was committed without spirit channeling, which was handwaved by a quick "I ordered her to lie on the stand, no biggie" that they hardly even drew attention to. And then there's the fact that the Queen couldn't channel, which had definitely been hinted at throughout the game but still felt like it came out of nowhere just to give Apollo a chance at the end. Like, it didn't actually matter to the plot or anything, and they said she was obsessed with the Founder's Orb except we never saw any evidence of that. And why the heck did she try to kill her sister in a fire when she needed her sister to pretend to channel for her in order to maintain her authority? Was it all just a fake murder attempt to convince Amara to distrust her husband and go into hiding?

I just feel like a lot of factual explanations of the case were left half-baked to focus on the character drama, which I think is weird for a game about using evidence to prove things.

I think you missed or misinterpreted a number of things about this case: The murder itself did not require spirit channeling - only the coverup did, which Amara was already proven to be responsible for. Anyone could have gone in and killed Inga earlier, they just had to dress up as Dhurke to take advantage of his prosopagnosia. Nahyuta taking the blame was an asspull on Ga'ran's part, but it didn't directly contradict anything they's proven.

The queen was definitely obsessed with the founder's orb - who do you think it was who kept soldiers hounding Apollo trying to find it? Inga was already dead at that point! She even has her people search him again in her quarters.

And yes they definitively established that the fire was never intended to kill Amara, only to fake her death and make her think Dhurke wanted to kill her.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Case 3

lol at the knockoff Steel Samurai theme and Rayfa's flustered animation. Also I hope it turns out that Rayfa is a huge Plumed Punisher fan.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 12, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will say one thing I don't like about this game: I hate how talkative the gallery is. Usually, the gallery having dialogue would be saved for a particularly special moment. Here, it just seems like everyone hates us even more than usual. Shut up, guys, it's a loving trial. Have some manners.

Like, it makes sense in Khura'in, because of the DC stuff, but it has no place in Japanifornia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Going through Case 3 now.

"In my country, suspects are innocent until proven guilty." :what:

Excellent work.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I think you missed or misinterpreted a number of things about this case: The murder itself did not require spirit channeling - only the coverup did, which Amara was already proven to be responsible for. Anyone could have gone in and killed Inga earlier, they just had to dress up as Dhurke to take advantage of his prosopagnosia. Nahyuta taking the blame was an asspull on Ga'ran's part, but it didn't directly contradict anything they's proven.

It was previously established that no one could have entered the tomb at the time of the murder because Rayfa was watching it. Except for Nayna, who disappeared during the brief moment Rayfa looked away, or anyone in disguise (from Rayfa, not Inga). This is later resolved with a throwaway comment about how Ga'ran told Rayfa to not mention seeing her enter the tomb because it "wasn't relevant".

quote:

The queen was definitely obsessed with the founder's orb - who do you think it was who kept soldiers hounding Apollo trying to find it? Inga was already dead at that point! She even has her people search him again in her quarters.

That doesn't mean she's obsessed with it. I mean, it's still a valuable artifact that was stolen. By Inga mind you, who she knew was trying to overthrow her with it, so she definitely wanted to get it back before anyone else had the same idea. There was no build up to the idea that she absolutely needed it for any plans she might have had, and indeed she had it sitting in a box in a temple for who knows how long, all while she had total control of the country for over two decades. She's not even the one who sent it away to get researched or anything. Or... was she? They never clarified this, which was my point. She didn't seem to have any particular plans for it anyway.

quote:

And yes they definitively established that the fire was never intended to kill Amara, only to fake her death and make her think Dhurke wanted to kill her.

I don't remember that, but okay. Seems pretty odd that Amara would come out of that with a huge scar though, if Ga'ran needed to make absolutely certain she was safe.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 12, 2016

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I will say one thing I don't like about this game: I hate how talkative the gallery is. Usually, the gallery having dialogue would be saved for a particularly special moment. Here, it just seems like everyone hates us even more than usual. Shut up, guys, it's a loving trial. Have some manners.

Like, it makes sense in Khura'in, because of the DC stuff, but it has no place in Japanifornia.

If we're bringing up gripes, mine would just be the overuse of flashbacks. Apollo Justice had this problem as well as I remember, and it's even worse here.

Full game spoiler:

Clarste posted:

I don't remember that, but okay. Seems pretty odd that Amara would come out of that with a huge scar though, if Ga'ran needed to make absolutely certain she was safe.

Since Garan was in there with her, I just assumed she let it happen since she's evil.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 12, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 3: Day one felt like a bit of a waste of time. You painstakingly argue through a (kindof ambiguous and frustrating) Divination seance to change around positions and introduce the possibility of a third party. Then all that progress is just suddenly swept away by a true but unbacked theory from the prosecutor. Then you spend FOUR TESTIMONIES on a guy who turns out to have nothing to do with the case and has no relevant information about it.

I think day two was good though. The seance was more logical and made meaningful progress, and the confrontation with the culprit was good and emotionally satisfying. It's also probably the best "thought route" so far, the questions did a great job of guiding you towards the big twist while also making you feel like you figured it out yourself.

NRVNQSR posted:

(Case 2 spoilers) You could argue that we don't know what the age of majority is in Japanifornia.
Judging from how young lawyers tend to be and who has been tried for murder I would estimate it's around 10

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Clarste posted:

Pure filler.

What's a filler case! This term is meaningless!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Filler case? I hardly know her!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

LostRook posted:

If we're bringing up gripes, mine would just be the overuse of flashbacks.

Spirit of Justice posted:

"Oh yeah, Maya did mention something about a knife."

*flashback*

"I wish I had a cool knife like that."

*end flashback*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Filla Kayse is my favorite witness.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

What's a filler case! This term is meaningless!

If I were an ace attorney murderer, my motive would be that the victim used the term "filler" just one too many times and I snapped

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd use the term "standalone" since it doesn't have negative connotations. Every main series Ace Attorney game has had two large standalone (IE not directly related to the finale) cases so it's not like it's anything new. Hey Maya remember that time I cross-examined a parrot?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Boy people sure are testy about people using the term filler case on a filler case.

Though really I need some help on Case 5 Day 2 Investigating Need to find Dhurk's tic with the bracelet. I thought I found it with his sleeve but he keeps saying that he had a itch and that's it. Not really finding anything else.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Boy people sure are testy about people using the term filler case on a filler case.

Though really I need some help on Case 5 Day 2 Investigating Need to find Dhurk's tic with the bracelet. I thought I found it with his sleeve but he keeps saying that he had a itch and that's it. Not really finding anything else.

A bit further up his sleeve he's pressing something up against it

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I am not a fan of these easily swayed audience members, nor of Prosecutor what's his face's smarmy sermons. Still in the middle of Case 3, amnesiac's story was annoying as hell because I kept presenting the right evidence in the wrong time or the wrong evidence at the right time. I really hope the prosecutor redeems himself somehow because I hate him harder than any prosecutor in any game I've played, including Payne. If Capcom wanted to make a character that you love to hate, well, this rear end in a top hat sure managed to push my buttons all right. In fact those things together are probably why I hate him so much, not only does he act holier than thou but uses that image to goad others into sneering at his opponents, and then just preaching to 'let it go.' How's about letting go of the loving rear end in a top hat bit and letting me decide if I want to be a part of your lovely religion or not (hint: the answer is "no.")

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Major spoilers for case 5 The Queen just took over as prosecutor and I'm loving losing my mind at her theme and stupid anime costume. What on earth is going on anymore.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Case 5 Investigation Day 1: I opened that puzzle box thing pretty quick, but I think some of that was due to people hyping up the puzzle behind it so I started thinking outside the box right away.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Case 5 Investigation Day 1: I opened that puzzle box thing pretty quick, but I think some of that was due to people hyping up the puzzle behind it so I started thinking outside the box right away.

I just failed enough times for Dhurke to give me the hint about "one of the pictures isn't there" after which the solution immediately popped into my head.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does anyone ever tell Nahyuta to just gently caress off? Even his breakdown animation isn't that satisfying for all the work you have to do to get it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Justin_Brett posted:

Does anyone ever tell Nahyuta to just gently caress off? Even his breakdown animation isn't that satisfying for all the work you have to do to get it.

I've mostly just started Case 4 but Blackquill at least fights back with insults of his own. It's actually really refreshing and the most I've ever liked him. Nahyuta needs to cram it, because I'm sick of his crap.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hey speaking of Nahyuta, how exactly is one supposed to refer to his unique voice clip?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AlphaKretin posted:

Hey speaking of Nahyuta, how exactly is one supposed to refer to his unique voice clip?

I can't remember it offhand, but it spells it out in the text log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's "Satorha!". The voice clip sounds somehow busier than that, like it should have more consonants or something, but maybe that's just the speakers, I can sort of hear it.

On the topic of voices, it's weird that Rayfa has a voice, and says "Hold It!", but doesn't have a voice clip for "Hold It!". I'm also disappointed that (case 5)Apollo isn't voiced saying "A dragon never yields."

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 12, 2016