Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpl-NKyhTYA

Gary Gritness finally released his Doom remix album, both as a WAD file: http://www.slikktapes.com/doom.html and super-limited tape: http://www.slikktapes.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oMVa_x213Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nope. Don't recognize the map but it's not ZDCMP2.

I tried looking through doom_txt to see if there were some clues, but I didn't find it there. Instead I found this:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i think i can say ive actually improved navy seals. fixed some of the more glaring user facing glitches and polished it up quite a bit. i've fixed the basic weapons to be more punchy and fun and use the correct ammo. there's still a few things that are just glaringly crap in comparison to the rest of it though

like the auto shotgun is such a crap model and weapon, it doesnt have a reload sequence it just blasts shotgun shells (boring!) and the sniper rifle... well the zoom is probably broken/bad anyways and the model is trash. all the models are really hosed up but they also crash every movel viewer i've tried so welp.

turning the auto shotgun into a cannon that explodes things into a shower of blood and gibs but might be a little too excessive. i still have no clue what to do with the sniper rifle, the model is hosed enough that i just want to replace it with something else but i got no clue

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cat Mattress posted:

Nope. Don't recognize the map but it's not ZDCMP2.

I tried looking through doom_txt to see if there were some clues, but I didn't find it there. Instead I found this:

Jesus christ, equal parts :psyduck: and :stare:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
As a long time enthusiast of anime women,

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

On the subject of DECORATE, I took a break from my little project last night after having some behavior issues with the SuperShotgun. I'm trying to have the weapons imitate vanilla behavior as closely as possible, and autoaim was causing some issues. I think I came up with a solution, but I'm wondering how much of a horrible person I am for doing this.
Basically, I'm going to have the gun fire a zero-velocity, autoaim-enabled nullsprite projectile, which will then exist long enough to fire the non-autoaim-enabled tracers.

Someone please tell me there's a cleaner way to do this.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My armchair analysis, that post has a pinch of self-deprecating humor to it, and is aware of it's ridiculousness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can tell UDMF is that guy's waifu

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

My armchair analysis, that post has a pinch of self-deprecating humor to it, and is aware of it's ridiculousness.
Considering it was someone in here who wrote it, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take this entirely at face value, no.

Not sure if I should name them, though, or let them speak up on their own.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Doom did pretty well with hitscan enemies in that it's the guys that go down in just a couple shots. Especially once you've moved on from the pistol.

There's also Wolfenstein's way where hitscan attacks have a long, obvious wind-up and the level design and physics are suited to quickly popping in and out of cover. It's like dancing with Nazis.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
It was Terminus wasn't it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

nftyw posted:

I was gonna say 'dude should probably just play Demonsteele or something'.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A little side project: a cosmetic mod (graphics, sound, music) for use with the vanilla Wolf3D and Spear maps as well as any mod that is strictly maps only. Sort of like what Wolf3D would look like if it got the fancy mid-'90s CD reissue treatment that TIE Fighter and some of the King's Quest games got.

I may do a variant as an upgrade patch for Wolfenstein Missions if people are interested.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

A little side project: a cosmetic mod (graphics, sound, music) for use with the vanilla Wolf3D and Spear maps as well as any mod that is strictly maps only. Sort of like what Wolf3D would look like if it got the fancy mid-'90s CD reissue treatment that TIE Fighter and some of the King's Quest games got.

I may do a variant as an upgrade patch for Wolfenstein Missions if people are interested.

Woolie Wool, the effort you have put into Wolf3D is top-notch. Great stuff!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

This looks really cool, do you have a link please? Reminds me of the indoor ROTT levels.

Speaking of which, I don't suppose you've ever considered making a Wolf themed ROTT pack? I always wanted to try the original Wolf sequel version that never got made, and considering the similarities in map style I'm surprised no one made one by now!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Convex posted:

This looks really cool, do you have a link please? Reminds me of the indoor ROTT levels.

Speaking of which, I don't suppose you've ever considered making a Wolf themed ROTT pack? I always wanted to try the original Wolf sequel version that never got made, and considering the similarities in map style I'm surprised no one made one by now!

Oh man, this would be so great.

Also, I need to finally play through all of the original ROTT. I keep starting, and never finish, because it's not the shareware version I'm used to.

I'm curious... With a game that old, do you suppose that two people, equal in skill but one's using a controller, the other a mouse and keyboard, would be pretty well matched? I know with games like CS:GO, it's no comparison, but I'm thinking more basic games like this wouldn't cause such a difference in ability.

Man, I worded that all terribly. :negative:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've got a horrible ear infection and I just had some kind of weird fever dream combining Doom 2, Wolfenstein and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Now I kinda wish that was a real game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, this would be so great.

Also, I need to finally play through all of the original ROTT. I keep starting, and never finish, because it's not the shareware version I'm used to.

I'm curious... With a game that old, do you suppose that two people, equal in skill but one's using a controller, the other a mouse and keyboard, would be pretty well matched? I know with games like CS:GO, it's no comparison, but I'm thinking more basic games like this wouldn't cause such a difference in ability.

Man, I worded that all terribly. :negative:

ROTT follows the usual 90s shareware pattern of putting all the best levels in the free episode. The full game starts well but deteriorates steadily in quality until you finish the game and play Extreme ROTT, which is unplayable garbage that Joe Siegler found under the Apogee coke machine.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Nobody wanted to make a shovelware CD filled with bad ROTT levels, so Apogee did it themselves.

Although there are some interesting ideas here and there. And of course, the glorious RANDROTT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDbvLKFCAl0

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Convex posted:

I don't have a link since it's still WIP.

As for ROTT, ROTT is much less moddable and flexible than Wolfenstein, and I don't really have any desire to work with it. The ROTT Original Specs stuff amounts to a handful of frames and textures and an incomplete design doc--many modders have tried to realize it and many have failed.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

While we're talking about Wolf3D, what "classic" map packs would you reccomend?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

nftyw posted:

I like to post dangerously.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 11, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
A Wolf 3D 2 mod based on RoTT sounds like something for ECWolf. I haven't actually checked what the state of RoTT support is - I know there's an incomplete map translator file and some (all?) of the action specials are available in UWMF. Judging by what's in the XLAT I'm guessing the support is pretty rough.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

laserghost posted:

While we're talking about Wolf3D, what "classic" map packs would you reccomend?

I used to know a lot more vanilla Wolf3D sets, but four I would highly recommend:
Conflict in the Fatherland by B.J. Rowan (this has some edited graphics and sounds, nothing major but they would conflict with this cosmetic upgrade mod I showed off without a patch)
Acktung! and Acktung! 2 by Ack (very difficult, but rewarding)
Thomas' Wolfenstein 3D by Thomas Weiling

If there are no source code changes, you can throw all the .wl6 files into a zip with a blank file named ecwolf.wl6 and feed the zip file to ECWolf.

I have some tweaks and patches in this DHW thread that do things like label locked doors by key color and expand the score display to 7 digits for OG Wolfenstein maps.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW6P3BnirWA

D O O M W A V E リッピングと涙 1993

I love this a bunch; wasn't there a map/set of maps that used an aesthetic a lot like this?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jia posted:

I love this a bunch; wasn't there a map/set of maps that used an aesthetic a lot like this?

Ancient Aliens episode 2 looks similar to that at times. Episode 3 might as well but I don't know, I haven't gotten there yet because I am bitchmade

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This map is so drat good, everybody with a computer and eduke32 give this a play. You may openly weep tears of joy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lurdiak posted:

I've got a horrible ear infection and I just had some kind of weird fever dream combining Doom 2, Wolfenstein and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Now I kinda wish that was a real game.

It is:

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

I used to know a lot more vanilla Wolf3D sets, but four I would highly recommend:
Conflict in the Fatherland by B.J. Rowan (this has some edited graphics and sounds, nothing major but they would conflict with this cosmetic upgrade mod I showed off without a patch)
Acktung! and Acktung! 2 by Ack (very difficult, but rewarding)
Thomas' Wolfenstein 3D by Thomas Weiling

If there are no source code changes, you can throw all the .wl6 files into a zip with a blank file named ecwolf.wl6 and feed the zip file to ECWolf.

I have some tweaks and patches in this DHW thread that do things like label locked doors by key color and expand the score display to 7 digits for OG Wolfenstein maps.

Woolie Wool, thanks for this tip. It's fun pulling the old content into ecwolf!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing Doom 3 10 years later I kind of have a new appreciation for the game and what it was trying to do. Aside from being too dark my main issue is there's no impact from your shots. And this seems to be an issue with FPS games in general. I like that modern games adopted the little "X" or UI symbol showing you actually hit something although I miss Quake 3's piano key sound effect the most.

I wish more games copied Doom 3's visual design. Dead Space is the only other series off the top of my head where your character displays your status and all interaction occurs in-universe with touch screens and holograms.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bad gun feel was a real major problem with FPS titles of the early and mid 00s. Half-Life 2 and Far Cry were two other titles that I can immediately think of with the same problem.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

RyokoTK posted:

Bad gun feel was a real major problem with FPS titles of the early and mid 00s. Half-Life 2 and Far Cry were two other titles that I can immediately think of with the same problem.

Both of them also suffered a fair bit from having too bullet-spongey enemies. I mean, HL2 would happily ragdoll away once you got a good shot in, but so few enemies would let you do that with the regular weapons. Same with Far Cy — normal humans hit with normal guns would have somewhat sensible reactions, but since gameplay escalation dictated that you needed constantly stronger enemies, you soon got into the elite mooks and the mutant critters that wouldn't even react to a rocket barrage to the face.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Enemies in Far Cry would basically shiver in place while you shot them. It wouldn't stop them from shooting at you, and they wouldn't move, so it was almost worse.

I don't think the Trigens flinched at all though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tippis posted:

Both of them also suffered a fair bit from having too bullet-spongey enemies. I mean, HL2 would happily ragdoll away once you got a good shot in, but so few enemies would let you do that with the regular weapons. Same with Far Cy — normal humans hit with normal guns would have somewhat sensible reactions, but since gameplay escalation dictated that you needed constantly stronger enemies, you soon got into the elite mooks and the mutant critters that wouldn't even react to a rocket barrage to the face.

Weapon feel was a lot better in Deathmatch, thanks to faster TTK. Drilling someone with a toilet or a radiator grill was always satisfying, as was cleaning out a room with a captured plasma ball.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Soldier of Fortune 2 had some awful gun feel too despite being quite a good game otherwise, you never felt fully in control of the shooting perhaps that's what they were going for. Halo had already demonstrated some excellent gun feel even with some sponge enemies but I guess it was too hard to imitate it correctly.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This reminds me of Worlds.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Honestly Elites from the Halo original trilogy are some of my favorite FPS enemies. Solid AI and good animations and a high threat level, especially on Legendary. And although they were tanks there were multiple ways to subvert their shielding.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And then came FEAR to save us all with kick rear end blood sprays and shockwave explosions.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

this is really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Segmentation Fault posted:

This reminds me of Worlds.

What's Worlds? I googled a couple things but not sure what it is. One of those hard to google titles, like the anime X.