Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

apparently samsung france mentioned that they're going to send out an ota brick update soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

USSAr posted:

apparently a note 7 blew up in the hands of a 6 year old

gg sarnsung

should've avoided holding it that way

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Vivaldi is good

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
turn away every samsung phone at the border before they kill again imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Endless Mike posted:

apparently samsung france mentioned that they're going to send out an ota brick update soon

noice

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So why do they blow up is it because the battery is phyically defective or is it a software thing.

Yes yes I know someone here is gonna say

"its working as intended"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tbh its more amazing that lithium batteries don't blow up

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Management posted:

browser enthusiasts

really? that's what bothers you?

in a forum that has strong opinions on white space

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

really? that's what bothers you?

in a forum that has strong opinions on green/amber space

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Vivaldi is good

node.js in the web browser on the desktop

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

max4me posted:

So why do they blow up is it because the battery is phyically defective or is it a software thing.

defective separator diaphragms (they haven't elaborated beyond that) in some cells which allow the anode and the cathode to touch when the battery is stressed.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

zen death robot posted:

the only Samsung phone I ever had kept getting hot as loving hell so I wonder if that's the deal here too

that's just androids

samsung's highest-end current Exynos SoC beats every other android phone by a large margin and Apple's generation-old poo poo blows it out of the water

quallcom is just garbage and everything else is even worse

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

zen death robot posted:

the only Samsung phone I ever had kept getting hot as loving hell so I wonder if that's the deal here too

lol. you bought a sarnsung phone.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sanofi-alphabet-diabetes-idUSKCN11I0AM

quote:

French drugmaker Sanofi and Google owner Alphabet's life sciences firm Verily are to invest about $500 million in a diabetes joint venture combining devices with services, an example of growing ties between the pharma and tech sectors.

Sanofi, which made the announcement on Monday, said last year it was working on a partnership with Google in diabetes.

"The company will leverage Verily's experience in miniaturized electronics, analytics, and consumer software development, with Sanofi's clinical expertise and experience in bringing innovative treatments to people living with diabetes," the two companies said in a statement on Monday.

The Sanofi deal comes just after a month after British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline and U.S.-based Verily - formerly Google Life Sciences - created a new company focused on fighting diseases by targeting electrical signals in the body, jump-starting a novel field of medicine called bioelectronics.

Nearly 400 million people worldwide have diabetes, with the type 2 version accounting for more than 90 percent of cases. Without proper treatment or lifestyle changes, those numbers are expected to grow substantially in the coming years.

The JV, called Onduo, "will initially focus on the type 2 diabetes community, specifically on developing solutions that could help people make better decisions about their day-to-day health, ranging from improved medication management to improved habits and goals," Sanofi and Verily said.

A spokeswoman for Sanofi said products on sale would include connected objects such as insulin pens and online services.

She said Sanofi had invested $248 million in the joint venture, in which the French group controls a 50 percent stake.

The French group is working hard to revive declining sales in its diabetes division, hurt by sustained pricing pressure in the United States, the world's largest health market.

(Reporting by Matthias Blamont and Andrew Callus; Editing by Greg Mahlich and Geert De Clercq)

See they had a home automations division, they had a robot division, now pharmaceuticals, only this time they arent buying a company just to shut it down or fold it into search.

I wonder if they will ever release a new version of glass.

I think he had a good idea to put prototypes out into the wild but gently caress man they had assholes paying for testing prototypes.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
They're gonna integrate some pacemakers with iot, then one day out of the blue they're gonna decide they don't want to do healthcare anymore and just shut it all down

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You know looking at the whole google nest killing revolv hub.

It would be nice for there to be a regulation that if you see something that requires access to company servers to work. That you have to maintain the servers or at the end of life unlock the device and let the owners homebrew their poo poo.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

max4me posted:

See they had a home automations division, they had a robot division, now pharmaceuticals, only this time they arent buying a company just to shut it down or fold it into search.

isn't this just the contact lens thing from ages ago

quote:

I think he had a good idea to put prototypes out into the wild but gently caress man they had assholes paying for testing prototypes.

literally the only redeeming feature of glass was that everyone with one paid something like $1500 to look like someone wearing glass

ufarn
May 30, 2009
secret to living longer: don't own a samsung phone

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wild EEPROM posted:

They're gonna integrate some pacemakers with iot, then one day out of the blue they're gonna decide they don't want to do healthcare anymore and just shut it all down

empty nest syndrome except with parents instead of kids

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

max4me posted:

it's something with the batteries themselves. that are manufactured by a different samsung subsidiary, so samsung mobile has canceled all their contracts with themself

and, of course, samsung claims they have no idea how to tell which phones contain the affected batteries since they apparently have no internal tracking of builds somehow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

it's something with the batteries themselves. that are manufactured by a different samsung subsidiary, so samsung mobile has canceled all their contracts with themself

and, of course, samsung claims they have no idea how to tell which phones contain the affected batteries since they apparently have no internal tracking of builds somehow.

:ssh: its all of them

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

atomicthumbs posted:

that's just androids

samsung's highest-end current Exynos SoC beats every other android phone by a large margin and Apple's generation-old poo poo blows it out of the water

reminder that it was considered normal to throw the top android flagships in the freezer while running benchmarks so they didn't throttle themselves into oblivion

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
wtf i never put my iphone in the freezer. android users are CRAZY!!!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

dazjw posted:

isn't this just the contact lens thing from ages ago

literally the only redeeming feature of glass was that everyone with one paid something like $1500 to look like someone wearing glass

I didn't :smugdog:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

max4me posted:

this is for those glucose-sensitive contact lenses, i'm pretty sure. afaik that's the only project google life sciences/verily has ever tried to produce, and google being google, they think they can just brute force the solution.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

hobbesmaster posted:

:ssh: its all of them

lithium polymer batteries are typically configured for either high current/low capacity applications or large capacity/low current applications. space is the limiting factor. if they put a large capacity battery in to get better battery life, and then allow the programmers to overclock the gpu to get not-garbage performance it'll cause the battery to overheat, shortout, and then catch fire.

similarly, if they put a high current battery in there, and don't program the phone to shut itself off before it reaches low voltage, you can over-discharge the lipo cell, which causes the electrolyte in it to permanently bond which decreases the battery's high current output capacity... which means it'll heat up and catch fire when you repeatedly over-charge and over-discharge it after a few cycles.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 12, 2016

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

max4me posted:

people have been doing this kind of disease management for decades (including the remote bio monitoring) but it goes in and out of fashion as the different factions fight over its effectiveness.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
medicare subsidized medical devices is a hell of a market tho, you just gotta be careful cause medicare will randomly change their minds, steal the money back, and arrest you.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Shaggar posted:

medicare subsidized medical devices is a hell of a market tho, you just gotta be careful cause medicare will randomly change their minds, steal the money back, and arrest you.

hell, sounds like my ex-wife!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

turn away every samsung phone at the border before they kill again imo

Endless Mike posted:

gonna build that wall brick by brick and theyll make samsung pay for it :sad:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

atomicthumbs posted:

more like lowquallcom

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

the older and more politically weird i get the more i suspect that the french are actually the most sensible people of the world, despite to all appearances being entirely dysfunctional

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the older and more politically weird i get the more i suspect that the french are actually the most sensible people of the world, despite to all appearances being entirely dysfunctional

watched an episode of grand designs where this couple needed planning permission to restore this awesome historic stone mansion. Madame le mayeur of their little village sat down with then at a kitchen table and helped then fill out a 4 page color-coded foldout application form. in one evening. they got historic restoration planning permission to proceed in like 10 days. seemed eminently sensible.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Uncle Enzo posted:

watched an episode of grand designs where this couple needed planning permission to restore this awesome historic stone mansion. Madame le mayeur of their little village sat down with then at a kitchen table and helped then fill out a 4 page color-coded foldout application form. in one evening. they got historic restoration planning permission to proceed in like 10 days. seemed eminently sensible.

meanwhile,

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

BBJoey posted:

hell, sounds like my ex-wife!!

lol

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

taint acquisition

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

duTrieux. posted:

meanwhile,

what

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-Beautiful.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Beautiful.html

tl:dr is that a rich man bought registered historic property, hosed it up with mcmansion-style renovations, and then for good measure stole a bunch of children's gravestones grom a derelict chapel 8 mile away and used them as wall decorations and also patio stones.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kill the rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

35 hour work week, illegal for your employer to contact you after hours, mandatory seven weeks of paid leave
universally free healthcare, 16 weeks of maternity leave at 100% pay, free university tuition, students paid a basic living stipend

• Locked thread