Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Incidentally, Sailor Moon is good and worth watching, Zog.

The fact that I need to say so in this thread of all places is weird, tho.

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's the wrong conclusion. The correct conclusion is that you need to watch 90s Sailor Moon.

Yeah I know, but I already don't have enough free time to keep up with currently airing stuff I want to watch :(

e: god what a terrible page snipe

e2: i guess there's a new Ojojojo: http://bato.to/reader#d9d9c535545f1f29

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Okay, so I'm back from time out, and I want you guys to know that I'm really sorry for being a real rear end, especially in the first several posts. If I had thought to look at them again before I posted them, I would have rewrote them so that it doesn't just seem like i'm dissing anime and manga as a whole for no good reason. I also didn't mean to make it sound like Steven universe was gods gift to man or anything, it is a fairly nice show, but it isn't like earth shattering by any means.

As it is, though, that last post before I was probated was just a doom:resurrection of evil reference because I saw a way to shoehorn it in and I am a complete sucker for dumb stuff like that.

Now regarding shoujo manga, are there any where like the male main character tries to do the whole shoujo male protagonist thing, but ends up rebuked because that stuff actually isn't cool, and learns that being yourself and respecting others is the way to be cool, or something along these lines? like basically a deconstruction of shoujo manga is what I'm looking for here.

If this isn't the place to ask about that, sorry, and if so, could anyone tell me what thread I should ask about that?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

thechosenone posted:

Now regarding shoujo manga, are there any where like the male main character tries to do the whole shoujo male protagonist thing, but ends up rebuked because that stuff actually isn't cool, and learns that being yourself and respecting others is the way to be cool, or something along these lines? like basically a deconstruction of shoujo manga is what I'm looking for here.
I'd like to know this as well.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

thechosenone posted:

If this isn't the place to ask about that, sorry, and if so, could anyone tell me what thread I should ask about that?

So, Shoujo Scott Pilgrim?

I hope it exists because now I really want to read something like that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Poil posted:

I'd like to know this as well.

Kind of?

Mori no Takuma-San is a manga about an extremely shallow girl who falls in love with a fat guy. It's by the same author/artist as Usotsuki Lily, which should give you some sense of its realism and seriousness though.

Sangatsu wa Ore-Sama no Narimasu is about a shy girl who apprentices herself to a Stereotypical Shoujo Guy in order to gain confidence because she believes the guy she likes is into "confident people" like him. It goes poorly. (This is a comedy, too.)

Takane no Hana nara Ochitekoi!!! is about a prince-like shoujo guy who decides he wants to make an even-more-prince-like shoujo girl fall in love with him. This backfires horribly, and he ends up trying to teach how not to be Stereotypical Shoujo Prince all the time. (...and is also a comedy.)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think I actually want to read something a tad more melodramatic than what I usually read. Any suggestions?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I think I actually want to read something a tad more melodramatic than what I usually read. Any suggestions?

Ever read His and Her Circumstances? It's my fav.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Have you read Shiroi Heya no Futari/The Couple in the White Room?

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/shiroi_heya_no_futari

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The latest two extras from Hibi Chouchou were really good and although they're about side characters you could probably read both of them as stand-alone one-shots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what 'shoujo manga protag' thing are you talking about? Do you mean the whole edgy badass jerk thing? Because that hasn't been common in like, a decade. A lot of shoujo manga these days have protagonists that are more awkward or neurotic than anything.

Iunno how you'd call that a 'deconstruction of shoujo manga' anyway, since shoujo manga is so vast and varied that it's not like there's any one formula to deconstruct.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My current favorite is Akatsuki no Yona. One of the male leads is sort of a jerk, but I don't think he ever really crosses any lines - he flirts with her and makes some inappropriate comments but he never does anything threatening, and it's very much about everyone involved growing - Yona becoming someone who doesn't have to rely on him, Hak becoming someone who doesn't have to push the people around him away - and the other male leads are all complete doofuses.

More than that, it's also a very well-told fantasy adventure story, with a lot of fun side characters and an actually pretty interesting world.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Ever read His and Her Circumstances? It's my fav.

a kitten posted:

Have you read Shiroi Heya no Futari/The Couple in the White Room?

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/shiroi_heya_no_futari

Endorph posted:

My current favorite is Akatsuki no Yona.

Added all three of these. Thanks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should read akatsuki no yona first

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

My current favorite is Akatsuki no Yona. One of the male leads is sort of a jerk, but I don't think he ever really crosses any lines - he flirts with her and makes some inappropriate comments but he never does anything threatening, and it's very much about everyone involved growing - Yona becoming someone who doesn't have to rely on him, Hak becoming someone who doesn't have to push the people around him away - and the other male leads are all complete doofuses.

More than that, it's also a very well-told fantasy adventure story, with a lot of fun side characters and an actually pretty interesting world.

That honey sequence is over a couple lines

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

That honey sequence is over a couple lines
yona is into it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

what 'shoujo manga protag' thing are you talking about? Do you mean the whole edgy badass jerk thing? Because that hasn't been common in like, a decade. A lot of shoujo manga these days have protagonists that are more awkward or neurotic than anything.

Iunno how you'd call that a 'deconstruction of shoujo manga' anyway, since shoujo manga is so vast and varied that it's not like there's any one formula to deconstruct.

I thought the typical thing right now is "A bunch of apparently straight handsome guys act extremely gay, also a girl is there to watch sometimes"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yinlock posted:

I thought the typical thing right now is "A bunch of apparently straight handsome guys act extremely gay, also a girl is there to watch sometimes"
shoujo is an incredibly wide genre so trying to paint with a broad brush is a pretty fruitless endeavor.

heck, it isn't even really a genre. It's a demographic.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Read more shoujo and joseis you uncultured swines

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yinlock posted:

yeah I agree Ouran was good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

shoujo is an incredibly wide genre so trying to paint with a broad brush is a pretty fruitless endeavor.

heck, it isn't even really a genre. It's a demographic.

Cake Attack posted:

yeah I agree Ouran was good

tbf that also describes shounen/seinen mainstay Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, so :v:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Thanks for reminding me how good Ouran was. I should reread it again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rodyle posted:

I saw a bunch of new posts and thought a new Yona dropped or something gently caress all y'all
Speaking of which...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

(Cooking Sisters chapter 10.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

thechosenone posted:

Gonna be honest here, Kaguya is starting to grate on me, since she can't seem to understand that what she wants is incredibly degrading to the guy she likes, and that he already has issues of feeling inferior. I want an episode where she realizes she done goofed.

Are we talking about the typhoon chapter? Yeah, she's kind of a jerk, but I don't think it comes out of malice so much as obliviousness. I imagine if the series goes on long enough it will get into that.

And everyone should just realize that the secretary is awesome!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You don't deep fry meatballs in oil, and you certainly don't add any sweet and sour sauce you unculinary heathen! :argh: :sweden:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poil posted:

You don't deep fry meatballs in oil, and you certainly don't add any sweet and sour sauce you unculinary heathen! :argh: :sweden:

Anything can be deep fried.

Anything should be deep fried.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

It's v. cute as usual.

But that was a waste of tasty Salmon!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

hello shoujo/josei thread i come seeking guidance. two friends of mine have come to me looking for manga to read and i come to you in turn.

I just got them to read Orange and they enjoyed it but thought the protagonist was too passive and thought it was stupid that, and i'm quoting here, they didn't "let the animes gently caress." they have since expressed an interest in action/adventure or sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural stuff that skews towards an older audience (really I think they just want to avoid will they-won't they/oh no i held his hand!! type stuff) with ensemble casts, a strong central romance and a female protagonist. i feel like this should be a category with plenty of stuff to read but josei is not my strong suit. any obvious recommendations?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, yandere no kanojo is such a good one or two chapters at a time manga. I just read the amazake chapter and it's fantastic. Didn't expect them to spend half of a chapter with all of the characters sans two shitfaced.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Valentin posted:

hello shoujo/josei thread i come seeking guidance. two friends of mine have come to me looking for manga to read and i come to you in turn.

I just got them to read Orange and they enjoyed it but thought the protagonist was too passive and thought it was stupid that, and i'm quoting here, they didn't "let the animes gently caress." they have since expressed an interest in action/adventure or sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural stuff that skews towards an older audience (really I think they just want to avoid will they-won't they/oh no i held his hand!! type stuff) with ensemble casts, a strong central romance and a female protagonist. i feel like this should be a category with plenty of stuff to read but josei is not my strong suit. any obvious recommendations?

Not sure if historical fantasy would be their jam, but I think Red River will fit the bill nicely. It's action packed, the protagonist is active but allowed to be herself as she tries to deal with magic and time travel bullshit, and it's melodramatic as gently caress, and relationships do progress.

So yeah, try that.

I'd also recommend Akatsuki no Yona, but romance really isn't central even though feelings and emotions bounce around. Still good though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Valentin posted:

Bonnouji is the best antidote to "will they/won't they/lewd hand holding" manga.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Does Please Save My Earth count? Shoujo sci-fi/supernatural something or other. Probably ten years since I read it, but I remember loving it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

isn't Red River that Hittite Fushigi Yugi

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Valentin posted:

This feels a bit vague? Are you looking for characters with est relationships/married and figuring life out? Are you looking for manga with mature themes? Do you want older characters who are in their late 20s-30s?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
OP if you want recommendations for animes loving you have to ask in the chat thread

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Rodyle posted:

isn't Red River that Hittite Fushigi Yugi

Yes, but it's better because none of the characters make me mad

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I dunno man, that thing is SUPER derivative, which you wouldn't really expect from a manga set in Bronze Age Anatolia of all places.

As for FY, I'll never go down that particular road again but I did have this weird desire to read some Watase the other day. What does she even do now?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I dunno man, that thing is SUPER derivative, which you wouldn't really expect from a manga set in Bronze Age Anatolia of all places.

As for FY, I'll never go down that particular road again but I did have this weird desire to read some Watase the other day. What does she even do now?

Iirc Arata which got a anime but her series are pretty bland.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think she was going to start doing another Fushigi Yuugi spinoff, but this time about the Byakko priestess. Other than that, dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Alder posted:

This feels a bit vague? Are you looking for characters with est relationships/married and figuring life out? Are you looking for manga with mature themes? Do you want older characters who are in their late 20s-30s?

ah, unfortunately it's vague because the friends I'm looking on behalf of were a bit vague; their major joint touchstone for manga is "reading Fruits Basket as a teen was fun," but i think if they read that now they'd just hate it. I think as long as there's a strong ensemble, a central romance, it's not in high school, and it's reasonably short with a definite ending, it's fine. thanks for all the recommendations, everyone!

anyways this is a dangerous thread because I just spent 4 hours reading all of house of the sun. anyways, are there any romance-comedy joke-machine manga (kaguya, tomo-chan, etc.) that actually have real endings? or do they all drag on forever with no good conclusion?