Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

YES! That almost exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Spookydonut posted:

YES! That almost exactly

Why not use a Datavac ED500 or Hurricane instead?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Home Depot has a few Makita's on sale right now:

I should buy one. Lithium batteries for my 18v PC are expensive ($83) and getting hard to find.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

Why not use a Datavac ED500 or Hurricane instead?

Yeah, but you have to make that. Why reinvent the wheel? Go get a hair dryer with a cool setting.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Yeah, but you have to make that. Why reinvent the wheel? Go get a hair dryer with a cool setting.

You are quite underestimating the blowing capacity of an ED500.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Finally organizing my tools. Quick phone pic of the chisel rack.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So, uhh...

A friend sent me a flier for a tag sale at a big machinery shop that was closing. I went, and left with a brand new shop fox 6x80 1.5HP edge sander (W1688), brand new (still in the crate, even) shop fox 12" 1.5HP drum sander (W1740) with a stand, and a zapkut panel saw rig with everything but the saw itself, and for which I already have a corded worm drive circ saw that'll probably bolt on real nice-like and work just great.

Edge sander:

Drum Sander:

Panel Saw Rig (collapsed):

I think the panel saw I got is exactly the one featured in this video? The wings fold up all nice like that and it has a kickstand in the back to stand itself up with or without the wings in. I paid $200.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcLafvGEFk

They were kind enough to use their forklift to put it all in the truck for me. And after it was all loaded up, I went back and got a couple nice feeler gauges for $10, and some awesome giant vinyl posters for General International and Shop Fox, as well as some safety stickers covering such topics as wearing ear protection and losing fingers. They gave me the decorations for free on account of the money I'd already spent. I couldn't bring myself to take the Powermatic posters, since I have no gold in my shop at this time. Although there was no shortage of that brand available, if I wanted to double my bill.

Oh, and on a side note, I got a new 5HP Grizzly dust collector (G0672) from a new contact I made here, he bought some old guy's workshop through an estate sale, he had a 26' trailer filled to the ceiling with walnut three times over. We're talking big 6" thick boards, probably $500 a piece under more normal circumstances. Among the guy's collection were some tools, and that dust collector was only a couple years old and we figure it had practically no miles on it. I got it for $800.

That picture is deceiving because of the lack of reference for a scale. Those ports on the top, the 4-way divider, those are each 4" ports.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 8, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Hogweed, Sumac, and Prickly Ash are assholes.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/plant-that-can-cause-third-degree-burns-popping-up-in-canada/54604

quote:

When combined with sunlight, sap from the plants can cause extreme skin irritation, temporary or permanent blindness and scarring.

http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2079

quote:

poisonous to touch

http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2072

quote:

thorns

I am fortunate in that I have not found all three plants cohabitating in the same location. That may change when I shift from clearing shrubs on hills to clearing shrubs in valleys. I have a question.

This is a chainsaw on a stick.

This is a chainsaw that grabs stuff.

This is a chainsaw on a stick that grabs stuff.

Is there a better search term for "chainsaw on a stick that grabs stuff" than "chainsaw on a stick that grabs stuff"?

Alternatively, if you needed to cut down a lot of something and didn't want to let it touch you, what would you consider the best tool for the job?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DreadLlama posted:

Alternatively, if you needed to cut down a lot of something and didn't want to let it touch you, what would you consider the best tool for the job?

"Fire"

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

DreadLlama posted:

Is there a better search term for "chainsaw on a stick that grabs stuff" than "chainsaw on a stick that grabs stuff"?

If it were me, I would let it drop and then handle it later with leather gloves.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

UK Goons where are the best places to go to buy tools? I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to DIY and the tools my father have given me were one he took from when he was working on building sites a few decades ago. As a result they're not very good so I was looking to replace them.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

A brush torch would be great except for the fact that breathing poison sumac smoke is a great way to end up hospitalized.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

MRC48B posted:

A brush torch would be great except for the fact that breathing poison sumac smoke is a great way to end up hospitalized.

Fire and a mask.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MRC48B posted:

Yeah this. Same with poison ivy, oak, etc.

Booley posted:

Fire and a mask.

So basically gently caress anyone downwind. If it's bad enough or you're sensitive, it can still blister your skin.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

UK Goons where are the best places to go to buy tools? I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to DIY and the tools my father have given me were one he took from when he was working on building sites a few decades ago. As a result they're not very good so I was looking to replace them.

Two I know of in the UK are Toolstop and Axminster (mostly because they ship international) but they've been good to deal with.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/plant-that-can-cause-third-degree-burns-popping-up-in-canada/54604

http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2079

http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2072

I am fortunate in that I have not found all three plants cohabitating in the same location. That may change when I shift from clearing shrubs on hills to clearing shrubs in valleys. I have a question.

This is a chainsaw on a stick.

This is a chainsaw that grabs stuff.

If you want to risk lighting the field on fire, the propane weed killing torches are not meant to burn the weeds up, you simply wave the torch at the leaves until they get glossy, which means you've burst the cell walls and the plant will die.

That thing is called a pole saw or pole pruner, unfortunately so is a hand saw on a stick, but the term may help you. I've had good luck clearing poo poo with an adjustable hedge trimmer attachment for a power head that will drive a bunch of accessories. They also sell the pole saw attachment, which I don't own (all I have are the hedge trimmer and string trimmer head). Shits expensive but reliable, and you can also find cheaper alternatives at like sears or home despot as well.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

bred posted:

My dad retired and is selling his house so we're finding a lot of neat things as we pack everything. One of them we're not sure about; this aluminum tool. First look says pipe threader or chaser but then I think why aluminum? Has anybody seen one of these before?

More pics: http://imgur.com/a/5lFAn

Ooh ooh my turn

It looks kind of like a little turnbuckle, but the center part is only about 3/8" thick. Anyone know what this might be?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

stubblyhead posted:

Ooh ooh my turn

It looks kind of like a little turnbuckle, but the center part is only about 3/8" thick. Anyone know what this might be?
A 3/8" turnbuckle?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DreadLlama posted:

I heard that some local governments will get rid of hogweed for you since it's such nasty stuff and they don't want it spreading.

I would spray the sumac and prickly ash and let them die before removing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Tool fight time:

I've already got the usual power tool kit (multiple drills/drivers, sawzall, oscillating cutter, circular saws, angle grinder, compressor/nailers, sanders, etc), and I'm wondering which would be the more useful next tool: a router/table, or a jigsaw. I'm not doing any fancy woodwork, but I'm a step above weekend warrior homeowner maintenance. I do things like make custom wall shelves and things like that, but nothing that would be confused with fine woodworking.

This came up because I'm looking to hang some old fancy windows on the wall, and it would be nice to have a router so that I could use keyhole hangers instead of alligators. But a few weeks ago I wished I had a jigsaw because I had to make some not-straight, not-a-circle cuts in wood.

I'll eventually own both, but which is overall more useful, a jigsaw or a router?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

stealie72 posted:

Tool fight time:

I've already got the usual power tool kit (multiple drills/drivers, sawzall, oscillating cutter, circular saws, angle grinder, compressor/nailers, sanders, etc), and I'm wondering which would be the more useful next tool: a router/table, or a jigsaw. I'm not doing any fancy woodwork, but I'm a step above weekend warrior homeowner maintenance. I do things like make custom wall shelves and things like that, but nothing that would be confused with fine woodworking.

This came up because I'm looking to hang some old fancy windows on the wall, and it would be nice to have a router so that I could use keyhole hangers instead of alligators. But a few weeks ago I wished I had a jigsaw because I had to make some not-straight, not-a-circle cuts in wood.

I'll eventually own both, but which is overall more useful, a jigsaw or a router?

I use my jigsaw more than my router, but if I had to choose, I'd pick router since I can cut things other ways.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

stealie72 posted:

I don't use my jigsaw super often, but when I need it, I really need it. I recently used it to shorten the length of a table top for a table I'm building, and it is the only tool that would've done what I needed (besides a large table saw with plenty of room around it.) The precise cut I needed excluded a sawzall, circular, or hand saw.

Another thing to consider might be price. Since a jigsaw isn't a frequent/heavy use tool, I think you're fine with a <$40 model. I personally use one of the "orange and blacks" (corded), and for my limited use, I've never had any issues. There's probably no need to drop $200+ on a yellow/blue/red cordless model for a tool that will probably be used for 5 minutes then put back on the shelf for a few weeks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah this. Same with poison ivy, oak, etc.

So basically gently caress anyone downwind. If it's bad enough or you're sensitive, it can still blister your skin.

I'm sensitive enough to poison ivy that I've gotten it on my knuckles and face after riding my bike past a wooded area that was covered. If any fucker decided to burn poison ivy near me I'd be super loving pissed. My grandpa wasn't that sensitive to poison ivy, burned it, and got sent to the hospital because his throat closed up. I'm pretty sure I'd be hosed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

B-Nasty posted:

I don't use my jigsaw super often, but when I need it, I really need it. I recently used it to shorten the length of a table top for a table I'm building, and it is the only tool that would've done what I needed (besides a large table saw with plenty of room around it.) The precise cut I needed excluded a sawzall, circular, or hand saw.
What was the cut? I'm having trouble picturing something that would be do-able on a table saw, but where a jigsaw would outperform a circular saw. Just curiosity is all.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Slugworth posted:

What was the cut? I'm having trouble picturing something that would be do-able on a table saw, but where a jigsaw would outperform a circular saw. Just curiosity is all.

I wasn't thinking right when I mentioned it was possible, or at least practical, on a table saw. Must be my table saw envy.

Anyway, the cut was taking a |________| shaped end and moving it back about a foot. I snapped a chalk line and guided the jigsaw at eye level to make sure that the edge was as even as possible so it would mate correctly to another board.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So you were just cutting the end off a table? How is that not possible (I dare say preferable) with a circular saw? Now I'm even more :confused: than before!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

So you were just cutting the end off a table? How is that not possible (I dare say preferable) with a circular saw? Now I'm even more :confused: than before!

Guide rails are hard man.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Another thing to consider might be price. Since a jigsaw isn't a frequent/heavy use tool, I think you're fine with a <$40 model. I personally use one of the "orange and blacks" (corded), and for my limited use, I've never had any issues. There's probably no need to drop $200+ on a yellow/blue/red cordless model for a tool that will probably be used for 5 minutes then put back on the shelf for a few weeks.
This a great point that I hadn't thought about, since I've all but given up on not yellow/blue/red tools.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I picked up a mitre saw only to find out my bench is slightly too shallow. I was thinking of some sort of extension where I want to mount it, however I don't want to end up ramming my side into it daily. Any ideas?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

OhDearGodNo posted:

I picked up a mitre saw only to find out my bench is slightly too shallow. I was thinking of some sort of extension where I want to mount it, however I don't want to end up ramming my side into it daily. Any ideas?

Deeper bench? Or dedicated miter table?

coathat
May 21, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Deeper bench? Or dedicated miter table?

Cut a big grove into your wall obviously.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

OhDearGodNo posted:

. Any ideas?

Take it back and get a nonslider.
Or cut a hole in the wall.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Leave it on a 45 away when you're done playing on it.

edit- ah, the bench itself is an issue. I've always had a dedicated bench for mine, which is not a slider.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'll trade you my non-slider for your slider

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Mount a receiver under the bench, and a hitch with a workbench extension to hold the saw. Stow as needed when not in use.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Slide the bench away from the wall and mount a strip of plywood behind it to fill the gap?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bolt the saw to the wall and use it gangsta style.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Try out the foldaway base that's made for stand mixers.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rev-Shelf-RAS-ML-HDCR-Height-Cabinet/dp/B0042QB6M4

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Any thoughts, good or bad on this fine piece of plastic and magnesium? I like Oscillating spindle sanders, and I like belt sanders... you know where i'm going with this.

On a serious note, i have have a 12" Detla disk sander that is fine and dandy, but i'm thinking this might be a little more mellow for finer work, or finish work. Have seen them for like $50 on CL and kind of tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

If you are considering returning that one, Sears has a compact sliding saw where the rails are on the front side instead of in the back.