Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Supernorn posted:

I think you underestimate the work involved. Building a game from scratch with multiplayer in mind is one thing, going back to an existing, finished game and adding multiplayer is a completely different ball game.

Oh Lord. I figured that since ConcernedApe talked about multiplayer Stardew was built with it in mind, but from what you say...

I wish you luck getting it to work better than, say, System Shock 2.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
"Welp, there are monsters all over the loving place, my farm might get overrun and myself and the entire town eaten. Shame I have to be in bed by two because it's going to get hairy. Oh well, good luck everybody!"

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Oh Lord. I figured that since ConcernedApe talked about multiplayer Stardew was built with it in mind, but from what you say...

there were steams of very early multiplayer, he just stopped working on it at one point to focus on finishing the base game instead

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

YES bread posted:

there were steams of very early multiplayer, he just stopped working on it at one point to focus on finishing the base game instead

Lol you can tell that a large publisher wasn't involved when that's the case.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

You're doing it right, just buy all the blueberry seeds you can on Summer 1. Spring crops suck for profitability, better to spend your time in the mines so as to acquire gold (and then iridium) for as many quality/iridium sprinklers as you can make before fall.

Quality sprinklers are great and gold is plentiful at the bottom levels of the mine. Iridium is even better of course but a field full of quality sprinklers saves you a bunch of time and energy and enables you to belt out far more cranberries than you otherwise could.

The best way to get coal in bulk is to wait for a bad luck day and bounce back and forth between levels 55 and 65 of the mine, killing dust sprites.

Wait, a BAD luck day? Why? Does that increase monster spawn?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StrangeAeon posted:

Wait, a BAD luck day? Why? Does that increase monster spawn?

Bad luck days are as valuable as good luck days, just for different purposes. Bad luck days increase coal spawns.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Rutibex posted:

Bad luck days are as valuable as good luck days, just for different purposes. Bad luck days increase coal spawns.

Almost 300 hours into this game and still learning poo poo.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Once I got a charcoal kiln I never needed to grind for coal, and the wood it takes is easy to find.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I hope the mountain farm won't be like the quarry in that once you're past the copper stage it's bascially completely useless. It'd be nice to see it level up with your skill or something.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

I hope the mountain farm won't be like the quarry in that once you're past the copper stage it's basically completely useless. It'd be nice to see it level up with your skill or something.

At least it will apparently give you guaranteed Geodes according to the developers' post, as well: "When starting a new character in version 1.1, you’ll be able to choose from five different farm maps (including the original map). Each map is based on a different skill, and includes unique gameplay opportunities that correspond to that skill."

stoic665
Nov 8, 2009

rotinaj posted:

You step up to the king, you best not miss. Your skull will be turned into bonemeal for my farm's enrichment.

As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain I take a look at my wife and realize she's very plain

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Are you absolutely sure? The wiki says that high luck increases the chances of finding coal.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

At least it will apparently give you guaranteed Geodes
Just what I always wanted, more geodes. Not like I already have a ton of them and it takes forever for Clint to smash them. Still, it's a nice thing. :)

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

stoic665 posted:

As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain I take a look at my wife and realize she's very plain

But that's just perfect for a gamer like me, you know I shun fancy things like multiplayer support

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CronoGamer posted:

But that's just perfect for a gamer like me, you know I shun fancy things like multiplayer support
But that's just perfect for a gamer like me, you know I shun facy things like multiplayer and streaming on twitch dot teevee

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Poil posted:

Just what I always wanted, more geodes. Not like I already have a ton of them and it takes forever for Clint to smash them. Still, it's a nice thing. :)

More geodes from the beginning of the game means you have a higher chance of getting stuff for the musuem, meaning you can get Iridium Sprinklers sooner. That's something.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

gmq posted:

Are you absolutely sure? The wiki says that high luck increases the chances of finding coal.
From mining, yes, high luck = more coal.

But bad luck = more monsters = more dust sprites = more sooty little corpses that can drop coal than you'd get on a luckier day. Basically, you can mine your coal on a good day, but you can also fight for it on a bad one.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Guys, there's something wrong with my dog :ohdear:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

He is no longer your dog. He belongs to the Void now. He is always watching. Waiting.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

He is no longer your dog. He belongs to the Void now. He is always watching. Waiting.

Your dog will always be there, but he has transcended the need for tummy-rubs.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Dog in the wall eh? Now you're talking my language.

You need to get more dogs in there to lure him out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's a weird lookin' cat.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
That my friend, is the Upside-Down. You'll need a substantial amount of energy... that is, more than humans are capable of currently creating, to create a portal that'll let you get to the other side. Let me tell you a tale about the Flea and the Acrobat....

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

That my friend, is the Upside-Down. You'll need a substantial amount of energy... that is, more than humans are capable of currently creating, to create a portal that'll let you get to the other side. Let me tell you a tale about the Flea and the Acrobat....
/

(Even if Maru is The Science One)

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

/

Oh poo poo, Stardew knew all along.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

In 1.1 you can buy Eggos from Joja Mart. It's a loved item for Jas.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I just realized that it's called "Cranberry Candy" because "Cranapple Juice" is a trademark.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

TurnipFritter posted:

Maru loving electrocuted me. Like hell I trust her on any matters regarding science!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Maru loving electrocuted me. Like hell I trust her on any matters regarding science!

This is pretty much what actual scientists do.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm a laboratory tech, I can vouch that this is true.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wayne curr posted:

Guys, there's something wrong with my dog :ohdear:

you are doing inappropriate things to that blue bear

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mzbundifund posted:

yep true story

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Science is fake.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Science is fake.

You're fake.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Only Yoba is real.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I want to harvest Yoba's drops. Alternately, I want to romance and marry Yoba. Alternately, I want Yoba to show up on day 7 and start living in my doghouse.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
My man Lewis wants me to get his purple shorts, but it looks like he left them in Marnie's bedroom. I hope he's not in a hurry.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

gmq posted:

Yes but even on a max luck day you don't find very much coal while mining stone, whereas on a worst luck day enemies (thus, on L55-65, dust sprites) are everywhere, and every dead dust sprite is worth 0.5 coal. It's a much faster way of racking up coal than mining rocks (and your pickaxe drains energy where your sword does not).

e: Plus the dust sprite eradication goal yields an item that doubles all monster loot, which includes coal from dust sprites!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Meldonox posted:

My man Lewis wants me to get his purple shorts, but it looks like he left them in Marnie's bedroom. I hope he's not in a hurry.

You don't have to complete that in any rush, I don't think- when I got that quest I was at no hearts with Marnie and I didn't really work all that hard at building them up enough to get in there.

(Friendship with her is worth it, I just didn't tackle it for a while)