Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess the red punishers are always the ones that are closest to being playable. The problem is that aggressive decks that want to fling spells at their opponent's face for damage aren't really the natural home for a 6-drop.

I suppose you could play it in RG ramp and have it threaten to dome your opponent for 20 off Emrakuls and Worldbreakers in order to get 3 cards pretty reliably though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

A playable punisher card? I don't even :psyduck:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

A playable punisher card? I don't even :psyduck:

Seems pretty early to say it's playable when the overwhelming majority aren't.

It at least has a 6/6 first strike stapled to it though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Expeditions are now an every set thing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kaladesh - Masterpiece Series (Not Standard Legal)

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/masterpiece-series-2016-09-12

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

THAT loving GAUNTLET

HELLO INFINITY GAUNTLET ALTER

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems pretty early to say it's playable when the overwhelming majority aren't.

It at least has a 6/6 first strike stapled to it though.

3 cards vs erratic explosion you for the top three is a pretty awful choice for the opponent, no matter the board state.
I agree that it's the worst gearhulk, but that doesn't mean it's bad, it just means this cycle is strong.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cool looking frames.

Also, Mana Crypt reprint.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hooray, Circle of Protection is back.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Was the world really clambering for a Hangerback Walker reprint?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 12, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Counterthesis: It's real, real pretty, and fits with the Kaladesh theme.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Average CMC of a deck in standard will be around 3, right? So it's a choice between 3 cards or 6 damage on average?

so, not really a choice then, unless someone puts it in a emrakul deck for lols

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm happy with this as long as it's being used by WotC to supplement reprinting things and not considered a source of any real reprints.

this will definitely be how Damnation is reprinted

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i'm seeing a wide disparity between the values of these cards lol

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Was the worst really clambering for a Hangerback Walker reprint?

It's a mix of on-theme cards, current cards, and reprints if the spoiled cards are any indication.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is good. It drives down the price of cards in the set.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Was the worst[sic] really clambering for a Hangerback Walker reprint?

I was...for Standard.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Man that gearhulk art is crap compared to the standard set one.
I'll need to try and pick up that Mana crypt though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Enjoy your expensive rear end EDH cards, I guess.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Basic lands arts revealed, they're quite pretty

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If I ever open a Mana Crypt in draft I'm just mulliganing until it's in my opening hand.

The owner of my LGS predicted this expeditions in every set thing because of how well Zendikar block sold compared to everything else.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

John Avon absolutely knocking it out of the park yet again.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

John Avon absolutely knocking it out of the park yet again.

I actually like the Plains that isn't his more.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BJPaskoff posted:

If I ever open a Mana Crypt in draft I'm just mulliganing until it's in my opening hand.

The owner of my LGS predicted this expeditions in every set thing because of how well Zendikar block sold compared to everything else.

They need to keep sales up somehow. Wasn't the overall trend falling despite the expeditions?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BJPaskoff posted:

It's also worth noting that Zendikar was probably the worst block since at least Theros and it still sold really well. I've been waiting for something like this and I was actually kinda surprised they weren't in Innistrad. I guess they didn't have enough time to react to Zendikar.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

drat those basic lands are beautiful.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
...Guys I was loving joking about the Expedition-rarity Damnation reprint! loving hell, guess I wasn't?

These look good, sure - though the Expeditions themselves looked ugly as gently caress in real life, because the foiling just made all of the cards look like crap. So until we see how these will look, I wouldn't get too excited. Art's cool though!

And now, bets are up - how long before WotC start printing new cards only on Masterpiece rarity? 5 years? 10? Come on, place your money!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

$64,000 question: Normal old Maze of Ith went from $40 to $20 around the time it got FtV'd. Did the same thing happen for any of the Expedition lands?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I don't really like how these look. Maybe the foiling process will help.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LordSaturn posted:

$64,000 question: Normal old Maze of Ith went from $40 to $20 around the time it got FtV'd. Did the same thing happen for any of the Expedition lands?

Absolutely not.

In other news, I need that mana crypt and now I'm going to buy a box gently caress off wotc.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
What was the reprint after the hangerback? I'm at work and it won't load

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

kizudarake posted:

green gearhulk

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

kizudarake posted:

The others are the green Gearhulk, Mana Crypt and Gauntlet of Power.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Aw, I wish they weren't foil.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I wish they didn't exist at all - do we really need to go the Yu-Gi-Oh route of fifteen different rarities, all of which involving uglier and more overdone design for the cards? (No, no we don't. It was a rhetorical question.)

The art on these is cool, yes, but their existence reeks of desperate money-grabbing....then again it's Wizards. Of course it's desperate money-grabbing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Count Bleck posted:

Absolutely not.

In other news, I need that mana crypt and now I'm going to buy a box gently caress off wotc.

It looks like Wasteland took a bit of a hit around OGW, actually, and another one for EMN. It had been trending downward for a while though.

All the other Expeditions were either 1) in Standard, 2) already cheap, or 3) Modern staples and thus not as easy to move the needle on.

EDIT: I know that WotC is on the right track when people break out the YGO references.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jenx posted:

I wish they didn't exist at all - do we really need to go the Yu-Gi-Oh route of fifteen different rarities, all of which involving uglier and more overdone design for the cards? (No, no we don't. It was a rhetorical question.)

The art on these is cool, yes, but their existence reeks of desperate money-grabbing....then again it's Wizards. Of course it's desperate money-grabbing.

It's a for profit company. I don't see what the downside to them printing these are... And the upside is cheaper standard cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Wizards needs to have a partial foiling process. Those cards would be look awesome with the borders, name box, type box, and power/toughness foiled; but the artwork and text box left alone.

• Locked thread