Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Smirr posted:

You don't need to use skills in order to level them. Just enable only Evocation in the m screen and then kill things using whatever works best. This will level only Evocation.

Why when I have 3-4 skills active, is Evocation always gaining at like 2%, but something like Spellcasting is at 30%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

Why when I have 3-4 skills active, is Evocation always gaining at like 2%, but something like Spellcasting is at 30%?

Sounds like you aren't in manual mode. Have you pressed [/] to enable it?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you're really in manual mode you can put 100% of incoming xp into one skill, if you want.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Why does DCSS even have auto train anymore? Does anyone use it?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

geke rowsperg posted:

When you're drained, does xp go towards undoing the draining or do I get normal skill gain in the background while the draining wears off? This is something I haven't been able to figure out.

The latter. Skill gain is reduced while drain is in effect but it will still go up.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

pathetic little tramp posted:

New players use it all the time. Also keep in mind many, many players don't participate in online Crawl discussion and don't know all the tips and tricks and strategies that we do.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SlyFrog posted:

You are not in manual mode, press / on the m screen

jerkstoresup posted:

is that why Pakellas was axed? i'm a poo poo player who enjoyed being given strong wands and rods
Quick charge was basically broken and stupid, and always getting a rod is kind of wonky when rods are supposed to be rare

Can Of Worms posted:

Lightning rods are stronger during consecutive uses (the first use costs 2 MP, then every other use costs 5 MP.) There's also a relation between damage and how many tiles you target, I don't know if it's inversely proportional or not. Unrelated:
It gets stronger when you do it in a row, weaker when you change the tile you're aiming it at(which spreads it out over multiple tiles) depending on how far away the new tile is from the previous one(because that spreads it out more).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 12, 2016

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I got my first 3 rune win in July, and yesterday got my second win with a 15 rune run. This board has helped a lot with snippets of info along the way that are making me play differently than before.

15 rune run - gargoyle fighter. Cleared 3 runes and to Zot 4 with Chei, then as I had a +9 demon whip decided to try my hand at extended and switched to TSO. TSO was mostly a tab-fest through extended with the odd call to get a divine warrior with larger groups. Nearly died in PAN TSO map to the seraph (popped lots of consumables, took 2-3 attempts to clear), in PAN to Lom Lobon (thanks apportate for getting the rune allowing me to tport out of there), and in Hell to Antaeus (again, thanks apportate). Zot5 I took a chance on blocked routes to the room and stepped on the permanent teleport, it dropped me on top of the orb surrounded by many bad things so I teleported out and came back in a more orderly clear. The orb run was uneventful, plenty of haste and boots of running, and the odd dig to clear the way.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Decairn/morgue-Decairn-20160912-004530.txt

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pathetic little tramp posted:

It makes better decisions than many new players manually picking what sounds good to train.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Ramc posted:

Take it easy and Step From Time, Bro.

Internet Kraken posted:

Or just spam slouch a bunch.

Brannock posted:

Ehh, you just need to use it two or three times (I forget how many) to kill the Moths of Wrath then you're good to go. You could even stairdance that once the moths are dead and be fine.

Remember that Bend Time works on Orbs of Fire, and that Temporal Distortion lets you fiddle with positioning.

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. The answer was Slouch x4. This kills the Orb of Fire.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

geke rowsperg posted:

Sounds like you aren't in manual mode. Have you pressed [/] to enable it?

I'm definitely in manual mode (the word "manual" is literally in white, auto is dark and grey), I know that I can turn off all skills but one. The issue is, if I do have four skills turned on (say Fighting, Spellcasting, Ice Magic, and Evocations), why does Evocations gain at like 2%? I want to train Evocations evenly with other skills, not train only Evocations.

I know I can turn skills on and off in manual, but other than setting one to an asterisk to emphasize it, I can't seem to actually set the percentage that a skill gains if I have more than one active.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
If evo is training at 2% then you're not in manual mode, I'm p sure

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you have four skills selected in manual mode, each of them would be set to 25%. If one was emphasized with an asterisk, it would be at 40% while the rest would be at 20%.

As Carl says, if one is training at 2% you're not in manual mode.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Once you do set your skills to manual, I would highly recommend the option to show skill costs over percentages. The skill costs show you how much experience it would take a skill to go from one level to the next (like 8.0 to 9.0), with the cost units being based off how much experience it takes to bring a skill from 0.0 to 1.0 with a 0 aptitude. It really helps for showing why it is worth it to branch out to different skills instead of just focusing on one skill until it reaches 27, as well as showing why bad aptitudes don't mean that you shouldn't train that skill at all.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

If you have four skills selected in manual mode, each of them would be set to 25%. If one was emphasized with an asterisk, it would be at 40% while the rest would be at 20%.

As Carl says, if one is training at 2% you're not in manual mode.

I'm more than willing to admit I may be loving something up, I'm just not sure what it is.

If I get a chance, I'll try to take a screenshot of it and post it; it will make it easier than posting text descriptions of it where I may be leaving something out.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

code:
 62341 | D:8      | HP: 13/273 [Ximapo Iteju the pandemonium lord/bolt of negative energy (52)]
 62569 | D:$      | Escaped with the Orb!
The only HP warning to show up in the log, whoops lol. Now to beat myself up for not even trying to go for more than 3 runes. That guy was a beast.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SlyFrog posted:

I'm more than willing to admit I may be loving something up, I'm just not sure what it is.

If I get a chance, I'll try to take a screenshot of it and post it; it will make it easier than posting text descriptions of it where I may be leaving something out.
auto training mode with axes and evo turned on(98/2):

manual training mode with axes and evo turned on(50/50):

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Between this and the frequent crashes, Abyss is a little more meta than I remember.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Requesting corruption lang.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Requesting corruption lang.

Corrupted butt lang: slowly increases the odds of butt replacements per line based on turn time, until odds reach 100% butt.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Corrupted butt lang: slowly increases the odds of butt replacements per line based on turn time, until odds reach 100% butt.

Ideally not incompatible with a honk language corruption.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The collision would result in *fart* :v:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Between this and the frequent crashes, Abyss is a little more meta than I remember.

Do you have any crash logs? If you're playing locally, they should be in your morgue directory - hitting # in-game will tell you where that is.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
They're from 0.18.1 stable in tiles mode, so I don't actually know how useful they'd be, but yeah, they're there. Today's log is up to 47kb. :v:

Should I be submitting these somewhere on the site?

E: Oh, it's just the last crash for a given character on a given day I guess? Ah well.

E2: Wait these logs seem...kind of uninformative, here. The game appears to have made logs for every time I crashed via a repeatable problem I noticed (attempting to shift-click an item in the inventory to drop it freezes the game and it will crash entirely after another input), but the only relevant data appears to be my message log and last input state, and it didn't even make crash logs for the crashes I've been encountering most where the game just randomly dies. Those crashes are usually while auto-exploring, but sometimes while I'm fighting or fiddling with inventory, so I'm not sure what's going on there. There's no stack or trace data for the handful of logs the game actually HAS made, but I'm so far gone from knowing anything about programming anymore that I don't know if that's just a lack of debug options/permissions/whatever.

E3: Aaaand a handful of crashes from starting the game up with even LESS information, but at least I know the game considers me to be an Unemployed Yak. :v:

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 13, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
That crash is known - it's https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=10296, which I think I've fixed in 0.19. (Hard to say for sure, since i was never able to reproduce it reliably.) If you get any other crashes, though, please toss them up on Mantis, along with anything you remember about what was going on - it's always helpful for us to get more crash reports from local tiles and/or Windows, since we don't have much instrumentation or testing there.

The message you screenshotted should be fixed for future, fwiw - good bug!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, that appears to be the one, based on the description; those conditions account for pretty much all of my crashes so far. I'll keep an eye out for any other weird ones though, thank you.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Oh god, I can't decide if I hope this works on my pet or I hope it doesn't....

Also I have the clarity mutation. :smug:

I am going to argue the hep hexer is as strong a pet as the blaster. Mass Confusion and Paralyze are insane. All three pets have a really well thought-out progression based on your XP though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Generally I have seen most people saying hexer is the best.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Decided to roll a Hu of Dith, then the game gave me 15 rune drops so I did the victory lap. Good tech: Using robe of vines with a form that meld armors. Bad tech: Dithmenos's shadow mimic angering spectral allies. Special note goes to the 2 potions of brilliance I used to cast Statue Form on Swamp:4 and clean out the vault, and the 27 mutant beasts I spawned on Zot:5 for the hell of it.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0 (tiles) character file.

13045220 trhu the Heavyweight Champion (level 27, 277/277 HPs)
             Began as a Troll Hunter on Sept 9, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Dithmenos.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Sept 13, 2016!

The game lasted 07:46:49 (123355 turns).

trhu the Heavyweight Champion (Troll Hunter)      Turns: 123355, Time: 07:46:49

Health: 277/277    AC: 13    Str: 29      XL:     27
Magic:  41/41      EV: 24    Int: 22 (23) God:    Dithmenos [******]
Gold:   8847       SH: 26    Dex: 20      Spells: 16 memorised, 2 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +       - Unarmed
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     o - +5 robe of vines {DeviceHeal--- Regen++++++}
rNeg   + . .     SustAt   .     D - +4 large shield {rC+ rF+}
rPois  +         Gourm    +     U - +0 hat {SInv}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     y - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
MR     +++..                    F - amulet "Wecas" {Clar rF+ rN+ Int+5}
Stlth  +++.......               n - ring "Ugophog" {Wiz rPois Str-2 Int+8 Dex+4}
                                h - ring "Miewos" {rPois Str+3 Slay+5}

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Floodkiller posted:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Ideally not incompatible with a honk language corruption.

Only works in the experimental Space Station 13 branch.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Only works in the experimental Space Station 13 branch.

'Added Randart property: Vomitous. Mostly aesthetic.'
'Added Randart property: Meth. Works on the old heat/tension system, you become progressively faster but more prone to system shock as tension rises.'
'Added Randart property: Bees. You'll figure it out.'

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So turns out if you have Jihad out and quaff berserk it will berserk summons but not your Hep pet:
code:
Really quaff K - 4 potions of berserk rage {!q}? 
 A red film seems to cover your vision as you go berserk!
 You feel yourself moving faster! You feel mighty!
_Your mana viper goes berserk!
_You now have 229/229 hp.
 You feel a strong urge to attack something.
 You have escaped!_

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I've been playing random "viable" species/class combos. I think I've solved the Evocations skill thing, but won't know until I play something that uses Evocations.

I have found that I am so, so much better at playing tanky fighter stuff than any kind of spellcasting, ranged, or assassin stuff.

Though part of that may be because I'm figuring out the skill system. I still want to spread out my skills, but it really does seem like it is better to really jack one or two at a time. So hard to leaving fighting or things like that turned off as a spellcaster though. I want those HP.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You should train some fighting as a spellcaster eventually, HP is good.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, but with the usual advice 'switch to Survive Dudes skills after mainlining your Kill Dudes skills to a comfortable level.'

Historical note: It used to be sort of a pitfall to train Fighting early for HP increases because experience levels played a pretty heavy part in that calculation. You wouldn't see much of a difference in the early game! :eng101:
Now training for HP is fine no matter when you start.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Someone make a crawl branch where you only have the two skills KillDudes and DontDie

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Araganzar posted:

So turns out if you have Jihad out and quaff berserk it will berserk summons but not your Hep pet...

Ancestors are nonliving, which means they can't berserk.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

Ancestors are nonliving, which means they can't berserk.

Does that restriction exist for any reason other than making MuBe unplayable so greaterplayers have no choice but to suffer?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Preventing Ancient Liches from becoming decidedly ineffective if they happen to be near a moth of wrath in Zot? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I...very, very, VERY vaguely remember discussion of the topic ages ago. Preventing liches from getting chumped was a thing, but if I recall correctly a big part of the discussion at that time was talking about how to fix skill gain vis a vis the food clock.

At that time, mummies were controversial because, technically, a dedicated player could just set up macros and have a mummy (very slowly) play themselves, usually in combination with Sif Muna, who would bury you lovingly in a mausoleum of the printed word for doing very little other than existing and casting spells at nothing. So there was talk of a whole bunch of ways that mummies should get locked out of mechanics that normally relied on the food clock, including the timers that currently eventually stop enemies from spawning on a given level.

Whether that's still a factor in deciding why undead can't berserk now, I'm not sure; I think enabling one (admittedly hilarious) niche playstyle is probably just pretty low on the to-do list.

• Locked thread