Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I spawned into my first tier 7 game as a tier 5 ever. It was mighty unpleasant. It's like the old tier 4 in WoT and a real kick in the nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huoOt6dvvEk

This is a Minoatur firing a fairly high muzzle velocity broadside from inside its own smoke every 4 seconds

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
The Cleveland is waaay less fun than I remember it being in beta. Shell velocity is horrible, it's fat, it's slow, range is garbage and it's just a citadel magnet for every battleship in range. Is this pretty much the standard for American cruisers going forward? I feel like I'm gonna be better off focusing on German and Russian to get the playstyle I'm looking for.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They had to keep nerfing Cleveland over and over again because it was a tier 8 squeezed into tier 6 and as overpowered as it sounds, up until the point where it finally tipped over. It's not the standard for the rest of the line, and it's going to be unnerfed and moved to tier 8 in a CL line at some point in the future.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Fail spawning last night. When the timer went to zero it immediately warned my intrepid friends about team damage.

I've been seeing that quite a lot recently. Did WG mess up the spawns in the last patch, or is the greater-then-usual numbers of battleships causing problems?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

MadJackMcJack posted:

I've been seeing that quite a lot recently. Did WG mess up the spawns in the last patch, or is the greater-then-usual numbers of battleships causing problems?

I have never seen that happen before the latest patch, it's some issue with the game not accounting for battleships correctly.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

I could play this game for a thousand more hours and never see another round like this. Came down to me vs 2 virtually untouched Wyomings and I killed them both.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ZombieLenin posted:

I am going up tiers really slowly, and I think it is because, unlike tanks, I'm trying to simultaneously grind every nation. I think I'm going to pick two and worry about the others later. BTW, is there a way to dump all XP earned on premiums into the captains instead of getting all the free XP. I've got a lot and it's dangerous, it makes me want to buy gold.

Unfortunately, no. There is no accelerated training in Warships. I suppose its the tradeoff for having free sixth sense, no "proficiency" bullshit, and sane breakpoints to get new skills. And captains being able to go into any premium ship, so long as its within their nation.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I spawned into my first tier 7 game as a tier 5 ever. It was mighty unpleasant. It's like the old tier 4 in WoT and a real kick in the nuts.
At least you can damage the enemies, even if there's a bit of a power jump from 5 to 6 (and a smaller jump to 7). I very fondly recall playing T4 tanks and having literally no way to pen certain tanks, even in their weakpoints (see: the loving OI). Or just getting derped by a KV-2.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huoOt6dvvEk

This is a Minoatur firing a fairly high muzzle velocity broadside from inside its own smoke every 4 seconds

So definately not Atlanta-like...its hard to be sure without the range indicator, but I would say somewhere between Cleveland and Des Moines.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Vatek posted:

I could play this game for a thousand more hours and never see another round like this. Came down to me vs 2 virtually untouched Wyomings and I killed them both.

I had a similar experience just now:

Okay, my team on New Dawn vaporized at caps A and B, that's fine. Sure, I'll hold off four ships at once from this little southern island here, that's fine. Oh yeah, I'm totally okay with close-in secondaries dueling a fresh Kaiser at the end with only 25% of my HP left and constantly on fire. No problem. I end up with 179 HP remaining.

Today my shoulders were just big enough.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?

Blindeye posted:

Fail spawning last night. When the timer went to zero it immediately warned my intrepid friends about team damage.

Yeah that was quite the awkward start to the match. Nothing like a little love tap to get your rear end movin.

Apolysis
Oct 6, 2013
Aesis, I didn't realize that the guy who wrote the WoWSSSC was a fellow goon. I was wondering if you would consider a collaboration with me in order to create useful WoWS info. If so, I would like to discuss it with you via real-time text, possibly on Discord or whatnot? I haven't kept up with the SA WoWS thread in quite some time, so I should probably go see if there is a discord specifically for goons and this game. Color me shocked to be led to the SA thread when I began googling Aesis and BlindnImpotent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh good, another micropatch. :smith:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Apolysis posted:

Aesis, I didn't realize that the guy who wrote the WoWSSSC was a fellow goon. I was wondering if you would consider a collaboration with me in order to create useful WoWS info. If so, I would like to discuss it with you via real-time text, possibly on Discord or whatnot? I haven't kept up with the SA WoWS thread in quite some time, so I should probably go see if there is a discord specifically for goons and this game. Color me shocked to be led to the SA thread when I began googling Aesis and BlindnImpotent.
I got your Discord PM.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

shot down over 40 planes in a cleveland, still didn't get clear skies because there was a zuiho and a ryujo on the enemy team with all those backup planes :negative:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

http://wows.ga/?p=318&lang=zh-tw Akizuki's leaked stats from the Chinese server. Note that the hull is fully upgraded.

It seems to get torpedo reload boost, but not defensive fire. :confused:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That's a lot of HP for a tier VIII destroyer, beating out the Tashkent by ~1000.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
So I've started playing this pretty recently and after going as quickly as possible through the Myogi and Kawachi (Myogi is godawful, Kawachi has enough HP for its tier that I found I could have a bit of fun tanking groups of cruisers) I am now happily sitting in a Hosho and getting in to this CV business. I like how much CV play differs from the regular game, in a much more interesting way than artillery in WoT which is basically just a new aiming mode and heinous reload times. So far I've really enjoyed the difference in CV effectiveness between hiding in a corner or vaguely trying to follow your fleet, I can get my planes landed, rearmed, and launched again in the time it takes for somebody at the edge to even land theirs.

So far the most annoying thing are the "NO CAP IDIOT!" people who insist on chasing down the last enemy ship, usually a full-health BB that's been hiding in the back the entire match, and then sacrifice themselves and any number of ships following them by using no strategy at all. Sometimes it really feels like they're colluding with the other team to produce an 'Amazing lone BB 7 kill game' highlight video or something.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

That's a lot of HP for a tier VIII destroyer, beating out the Tashkent by ~1000.

Akizuki displaces more than the non-imaginary T10 destroyers, let alone the Tashkent. Given WG's claim of that being one of the primary factors behind ship HP, it'd be unusual if she didn't have the highest HP for T8. As for the consumable thing, despite all their dumb moves involving destroyers I cannot imagine WG being dumb enough to give Akizuki the rarely used torpedo reload one and not Defensive Fire, given one of the specific roles the whole class was built for was to defend against aircraft.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's not out of the realms of possibility that they just haven't tweaked the consumable loadout yet - if they've simply copied the existing Fubuki entry and overwritten it, the Fubuki doesn't get the defensive fire skill unless you research the gun upgrade as well.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 12, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FiestaNinja posted:

So I've started playing this pretty recently and after going as quickly as possible through the Myogi and Kawachi (Myogi is godawful, Kawachi has enough HP for its tier that I found I could have a bit of fun tanking groups of cruisers) I am now happily sitting in a Hosho and getting in to this CV business. I like how much CV play differs from the regular game, in a much more interesting way than artillery in WoT which is basically just a new aiming mode and heinous reload times. So far I've really enjoyed the difference in CV effectiveness between hiding in a corner or vaguely trying to follow your fleet, I can get my planes landed, rearmed, and launched again in the time it takes for somebody at the edge to even land theirs.

So far the most annoying thing are the "NO CAP IDIOT!" people who insist on chasing down the last enemy ship, usually a full-health BB that's been hiding in the back the entire match, and then sacrifice themselves and any number of ships following them by using no strategy at all. Sometimes it really feels like they're colluding with the other team to produce an 'Amazing lone BB 7 kill game' highlight video or something.

Enemies going for a kill in totally inappropriate times will never stop being amazing. Had two enemy destroyers with the game won. They were smoked up on cap, our carrier was busy parking planes over the empty carrier as it was getting plastered by bbs, so when I tried to take my BB in to decap I got mangled in record time. Then the enemy farragut goes after our carrier at 10 km. We have three or four ships left, that cap is their only chance. By the time our furutaka gets on cap and plasters the enemy dd one tick away from capping out, the farragut still isn't in range of the carrier. Indeed, the furutaka runs the farragut down. The best part is the farragut literally could not have come out ahead on that decision unless it cost his team the game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Learned something new about the Dunkerque: The Molotov can pen it through the nose at angles same tier battleships bounce. I think it even scored a citadel.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it just me, or is the New York worse than the Wyoming for its tier? Less guns, same size guns, the gun in the middle is worthless because of its poor arcs of fire, and it bounces a ton off of higher tier BBs, even flat on. The Kongo is way better.

Are the low tier German BBs good? I know their armor is great.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

http://wows.ga/?p=318&lang=zh-tw Akizuki's leaked stats from the Chinese server. Note that the hull is fully upgraded.

It seems to get torpedo reload boost, but not defensive fire. :confused:

7.56km is surface detection range? I'm actually kinda excited about this ship, it looks fun as hell. But with that speed and size im trying to figure out if CE will be mandatory, or if you can get away with the AFT/DE/SE combo like the Khaba.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it just me, or is the New York worse than the Wyoming for its tier? Less guns, same size guns, the gun in the middle is worthless because of its poor arcs of fire, and it bounces a ton off of higher tier BBs, even flat on. The Kongo is way better.

The New York actually does have bigger guns, but you can't really tell. I didnt enjoy it as much as the Wyoming either. The Kongo is just better in almost every way.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 12, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Learned something new about the Dunkerque: The Molotov can pen it through the nose at angles same tier battleships bounce. I think it even scored a citadel.

Molotov has tier 9 guns with tier 9 penetration, be very cautious of showing one a lightly armored part of your ship. However you can plaster one easily with a dunk as long as you dont get citadelled through the nose.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The NY guns are bigger and have longer range.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Molotov has tier 9 guns with tier 9 penetration, be very cautious of showing one a lightly armored part of your ship. However you can plaster one easily with a dunk as long as you dont get citadelled through the nose.

I just hadn't faced one in my Dunker yet, they seem to have gotten a bit rare. Wasn't able to get a shot back at it, was suffering from a bad case of danger close.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Krogort posted:

The NY guns are bigger and have longer range.

Are they bigger? I must have misread. It does have good range once you have the upgraded FCS and the range equipment, but it still faces a lot of stuff you can't do any good damage to. I'd say it's the curse of T5, but the Kongo doesn't seem to have that problem.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lots of :words: incoming

The New York has 14 inchers. The Wyoming has 12 inchers. The 14 inch guns should have no trouble penning other enemy BBs through Tier 7 (what you'd be facing) obviously depending on angle. You're going to have 14 inch guns on the New Mexico too so I'd get used to them.

Yes, the gun in the middle is a trap. If you're getting shot at you should be angled and ignoring it.

Honestly in a 1v1 all other things being equal the Kongo and New York are going to be fairly even. That said such a situation is hardly applicable in most matches. The biggest difference between the Kongo and the New York is max speed where the Kongo is basically a large cruiser with 14 inch guns. You can leverage the superior speed of the Kongo to put yourself in far more advantageous positions than you would a new York.

What's more is thanks to the standard battleship design you are going to be stuck with the anemic 21 knot upgraded top speed of the New York all the way through the Colorado until you unlock the first next generation American battleship in the North Carolina. But this doesn't in any way make the American BBs bad. It's just a weakness. The New York, New Mexico, and Colorado are all solid ships.

Low Tier German BBs are great. I know there are some people here who swear by the Nassau and I'm sure you'll hear from them, but I hated it. Like all other T3 BBs I found it to be painful to drive. But after the Nassau you have the Kaiser followed by the Konig. You might think based on the caliber of their guns (12 inchers all the way through T5 when the Japanese and Americans upgrade to 14 inchers at T5) that they might be weak, but their advantage is they reload 10 seconds faster than the other nations guns. This makes them incredibly overpowered. It's no coincidence that the two ships I have the highest average damage with are the Kaiser and Konig. You will struggle to produce citadels on other battleships, but you can still reliably pen other BBs and the reload time significantly increases your DPS. Then you get the Bayern which upgrades to 15 inch guns when the Japanese and Americans are still using 14 inchers at T6 and you start to own everything although the Bayern has the standard 30 second reload time.

On top of it all the German BBs are ridiculously hard to citadel thanks to their turtleback armor. It makes them very brawly and fun ships to drive.

On a personal note, I find that when fighting the next generation German BBs like the Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Bismark that they are hard to land good hits on in general compared to their Japanese and American counterparts thanks to how low they sit on the water. I find it might easier to crap on the American standard battleships and the Japanese battleships when I catch them broadside than the German BBs. Take that how you will.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Low tier German BBs are fun once you've confirmed that nothing nearby has torpedoes and you can drive straight into the middle of the enemy. The smaller but faster guns combined with the German secondaries makes for great brawls.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

With and against Germans, don't shoot against the waterline, shoot the secondary casemates. If you aren't going to punch through the belt to the citadel, this gives much bigger numbers with consistent pens rather than a lot of bounces. You can pretty consistently pry 10+k out of battleships doing this, even the Germans.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Kaiser's AA isn't bad either. I shot down somewhere over 20 planes in one battle where this bad Langley had a murderboner for me and kept trying to bomb me. He did land a couple torps because I'm also bad, but I still think I got the better end of that bargain, shredding most of his planes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nordick posted:

The Kaiser's AA isn't bad either. I shot down somewhere over 20 planes in one battle where this bad Langley had a murderboner for me and kept trying to bomb me. He did land a couple torps because I'm also bad, but I still think I got the better end of that bargain, shredding most of his planes.

It's better than the numbers might indicate because it's got enough range that backing off from a strike is a big mistake, so it's easyish to get a carrier to commit to a botched strike or to wreck a squadron by forcing an error. Just remember when facing two torp squads to focus your aa on the one you don't turn into.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

xthetenth posted:

With and against Germans, don't shoot against the waterline, shoot the secondary casemates. If you aren't going to punch through the belt to the citadel, this gives much bigger numbers with consistent pens rather than a lot of bounces. You can pretty consistently pry 10+k out of battleships doing this, even the Germans.

Secondary casemates? Like where the secondary guns poke out? Unless I'm in close, I can't see them, nevermind hitting them reliably with low tier BB accuracy.

I have landed some 10k salvoes on the Kaiser/Konig, though.

I don't know why I was having trouble penning a flat-on Colorado, then. I just couldn't damage it, and I was trying several times. Does the upgraded hull give better pen or something? I only see it upgrading damage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Secondary casemates? Like where the secondary guns poke out? Unless I'm in close, I can't see them, nevermind hitting them reliably with low tier BB accuracy.

I have landed some 10k salvoes on the Kaiser/Konig, though.

I don't know why I was having trouble penning a flat-on Colorado, then. I just couldn't damage it, and I was trying several times. Does the upgraded hull give better pen or something? I only see it upgrading damage.

Not sure regarding the Colorado, they are well armored though. And by the casemates, I mean the stripe of their hull that isn't just above the waterline, it's thick enough not to overpen. At longer ranges it's still a matter of just aiming for the ship, but in closer it's aim just below the deck rather than just above the waterline.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I thought the Kaiser and Konig were both very good ships. Turret rotation is a bit on the slow side for me, but thats my only real complaint. Like others have said you won't rack up a ton of citadels against other battleships (unless its like a South Carolina/Kawachi) but you will get a shitload of those penetrating hits that do 2772 damage. One unintentional bonus of the smaller 11" and 12" guns is I seemed to get a lot more hits on Destroyers that penetrated with the bursting charge going off inside the ship instead of over-penetrating, so you can definitely embarrass overconfident DD pilots with a little luck.

Just unlocked the Bayern

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

• Get placed into a tier 5-7 match as a T7 BB.
  • Get bitched at by a T5 BB who declares we T7s are all going to spend the match hiding behind islands.
  • Get sunk after a rousing brawl in the company of courageous T7 allies.
  • Spend the rest of the match watching the T5 BB, who hosed off back to our cap at the first sight of the enemy, go from full health to nearly dead while trying to brawl a Scharnhorst and running aground.
  • Congratulations, bitchy T5 BB! You contributed gently caress-all and are one of two ships left afloat when we finally lose the round!

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

Hey guys, recently got back into this game after being in the closed beta for a while. Can anyone give me a rundown on best in class ships and why? I've heard Russian DDs are where it's at, but is that in the run and gun line? Could use some info on best cruisers, battleships and carriers.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Lakedaimon posted:

7.56km is surface detection range? I'm actually kinda excited about this ship, it looks fun as hell. But with that speed and size im trying to figure out if CE will be mandatory, or if you can get away with the AFT/DE/SE combo like the Khaba.

An AFT/CE build will give you roughly 3.74km stealth firing, but 4.4 with the concealment modification and 13.56km total gun range. DE/CE would be 1.5km, 2.18, and 11.3km respectively.

If the stats keep, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Would AFT with no CE give you any stealth firing with the concealment mod?