Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

cumshitter posted:

its the sovs who dont break kayfabe btw. theyre real pros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Azathoth posted:

It's the same as the heart of a lot of other conspiracy theories, from UFOs to the New World Order/Bilderburg Group/Illuminati/etc. to chemtrails to truthers. It doesn't really matter what the conspiracy is, because it's not about the specific details, it's about the person who discovers the truth being part of a special and select group who possesses some kind of secret knowledge, which then gives them power beyond what most possess. The whole point is how knowing the truth gives them power, which isn't something that they feel much in their everyday life. It's the same reason that militia assholes who've never been in the military go out into the woods and play dress-up (I love that description, holy poo poo) or why preppers go to such elaborate lengths to prepare for an end to society that shows no signs of happening anytime soon. They're people who have very little power in their lives becoming king of their secret world through hidden knowledge.

Most conspiracy theories though, don't claim to have such specific real-world power as the sovcit bullshit. If you believe that the government is covering up the truth about UFOs, all you can really do is file FOIA requests, which either get turned down or sent back with no documents being found, which just reinforces the belief in a cover-up. Someone who's really dedicated might break into government installations, get caught, and get punished, but that also just reinforces the cover-up angle. Same for folks who believe that the Illuminati controls everything. They all promise secret knowledge, but make no promises that acting on said knowledge will give the believer any power.

But with the sovcit/tax deniers/freemen on the land, all it takes is P. Barnes' polite but firm insistence that they can't go into the court room with that camera, and his mighty taser, to prove convincingly that their power isn't really there. It's why so many of them get so hilariously exasperated or incredulous when the cops take them down, or the judge sends them to jail or the judge takes their money and property away. It's the sudden and severe onslaught of cognitive dissonance as their worldview collapses before their eyes while all they can do is scream, "I DO NOT CONSENT. I DO NOT WISH TO CREATE JOINDER WITH YOU."

Honestly I think there's two kinds. There's the ones you've described, who use it just as a kind of escape from their ordinary lives, and there's the actually schizophrenic or people who border on it. Everyone I know who has schizophrenia seems to have had the pattern matching in their brain turned up so high that there's more noise than signal, so they suddenly see patterns everywhere that their brain evaluates as very meaningful and obvious but that in reality aren't there at all. Some people learn to live with this, my friend in particular is aware that she has to double-check everything she does or observes because her brain plays tricks on her. Other people just give in to seeing secrets everywhere and start making youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU0sRA6slfw

My theory is that a lot of the initial seeds of conspiracy theories start with people like this, who then convince the every-day-people and spread it that way.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Azathoth posted:

The magic legal words that make judges and law enforcement officers do what you command is only part of the conspiracy theory. The other half of the coin is that the government knows that the magic words are sacred and work if properly invoked, so the government engages in a huge disinformation campaign to suppress public knowledge of the magic legal words. All law enforcement officers and judges are trained and educated about the magic legal words, but are also inducted into the conspiracy to suppress knowledge of it. They know that they have to obey the words if they are incanted at the proper time and in the proper way, so they watch carefully for slip-ups, and when they catch one, they use it to invalidate all previous magic legal words. Thus, the practitioner of legal magic words must be very careful to say them at the proper time and in the proper order, or else they won't work. This is why it has never worked. It isn't that they don't work, it's that people keep screwing up when using them, but maybe this time will be the one time that someone gets it right and the judge has no choice but to angrily dismiss all charges and let them go.

Basically think of it as summoning a demon. If you do it properly, with all the right words, and the right preparations, then you get a powerful demon as your slave, but if you mess up even one word, have one break in the salt circle, one misplaced rune in the sacred geometry, all the other stuff is invalidated and you're dragged to Hell. That no one is currently walking around with a pet demon isn't proof that it can't be done, it's just proof that no one has done it yet. Don't pay any attention to all those scorch marks on the floor, I'll tell you what mistakes they made so that you can be the first one to do it right and achieve unlimited power.

This sounds like World of Darkness Mage: The Awakening except terrible and for the mentally retarded

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Top City Homo posted:

This sounds like World of Darkness Mage: The Awakening except terrible and for the mentally retarded

Those mages are all actually crazy people.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Top City Homo posted:

Can I roll a Malkhavian in this campaign?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You encounter a stop sign.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I roll past it. My homemade license plate renders me immune to its dark powers.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The Mad are antagonists

just as in this world.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Top City Homo posted:

The Mad are antagonists

just as in this world.

What does MST3K have to do with sovcits?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I saw the BLM in the Facebook trending topics thing and figured it would be about these Bundy chumps again, but apparently they just canceled a plan to spay/neuter wild horses? Are these guys prosecuted yet?

e: Bundy guys, not the horse sterilizing guys

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Top City Homo posted:

So more like the various -mancers from Unknown Armies, then?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Red Minjo posted:

I saw the BLM in the Facebook trending topics thing and figured it would be about these Bundy chumps again, but apparently they just canceled a plan to spay/neuter wild horses? Are these guys prosecuted yet?

e: Bundy guys, not the horse sterilizing guys

The main court case is just starting. Follow this podcast to stay up to date on the case without having to constantly read the thread.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Sep 12, 2016

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The podcast is good and worth checking out. I half listened to it but the most recent episode had a prosecutor (I think?) talking about a guy who represented himself, and then questioned himself on the bench. Like he straight up sat there and said, "Mr. Self, what do you make of blah blah" and then responded to his own questions.

And yes in case you're wondering they do address whether or not he got up and walked around to the other side of the booth or whatever you call it (he didn't).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/775090766720802816

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

what is it with these people and leaving poo poo everywhere

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

what is it with these people and leaving poo poo everywhere

They're so full of it that they're leaking? :v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Volcott posted:

You encounter a stop sign.

You son of a bitch. :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1FbDuRWPho

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

At least they're consistent.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Of course they're doing it on a loving Sunday when no one is downtown

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Apparently there was a BLM (Black Lives Matter) protest going on too.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Apparently there was a BLM (Black Lives Matter) protest going on too.
No question there were "Rancher Lives Matter" signs unironically on display

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

so majestic

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Top City Homo posted:

I think it sounds awesome. Someone should create Sovcit Mage mods for some games.

Wasn't historically a lot of art and religion created by schizophrenics and other mentally atypical people? Because if so, this thing checks out for me - I know, for example, that I simply couldn't come up with stuff like the boat thing. Or the corporation vs. person thing.

e: it would be better if reciting the magic commands physically stopped the police people from arresting you, and so on.

meristem has issued a correction as of 06:27 on Sep 12, 2016

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

RandomPauI posted:

What does MST3K have to do with sovcits?

we are snarky commentators to their terrible life

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Young Freud posted:

So more like the various -mancers from Unknown Armies, then?

never heard of it sory

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Top City Homo posted:

never heard of it sory

Unknown armies is p sweet

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The main court case is just starting. Follow this podcast to stay up to date on the case without having to constantly read the thread.

Thank you, DisV... I have a million mindless data things to do myself right now since our research assistants are bright eyed and bushy tailed and as useful as Sims at this point in the semester.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Little_wh0re posted:

Unknown armies is p sweet

i want someone to play Paranoia with

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Top City Homo posted:

i want someone to play Paranoia with

Sov cits woud not last long in Alpha Complex
But who does?

Also the new edition of Unknown Armies has a firearm fetishizing adept school that geta charges from open carrying but loses power if they ever actually shoot someone.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Capntastic posted:

But who does?

Also the new edition of Unknown Armies has a firearm fetishizing adept school that geta charges from open carrying but loses power if they ever actually shoot someone.

wait what is this?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

wait what is this?

A sharp jab at Second Amendment types

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

wait what is this?

unknown armies is a game about how if you are the right kind of insane you can get magic powers by very strictly following the rules of your personal brand of insanity, and it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe it like hell. this sounds like the setup for wish fulfillment, but they do a pretty good job of establishing that no, a world of warring insane people trying to prove their insanity right is really hopelessly hosed up.

an Adept of Open Carry -KNOWS- that a well-armed society is a polite society. by simply displaying their fetish object (in 99% of cases it's a gun, but there's a few people who are unhealthily attached to other weapons instead) they gain sorcerous power from the peace thus achieved.

of course, if they have to actually shoot someone with the drat thing, that at least temporarily proves their insane fantasy world wrong, and thus they lose magic powers for doing so.

there are Adepts of pretty much every fringe (and mainstream!) philosophy/conspiracy theory/whatever. if there was an Adept who could come up with a philosophy that completely described the world, they'd pretty much be god. Unfortunately the Adepts of Capitalism lose power every time they sacrifice short-term profits for long-term gain, the Adepts of Democracy lose power every time they don't wait for consensus before acting, the Adepts of Celebrity lose power every time they try to do something privately, etc, etc, the game is excitingly dumb.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Sep 12, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Where is this game found?

Is it like Pokémon Go? Chess? Don't starve together?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Where is this game found?

Is it like Pokémon Go? Chess? Don't starve together?

Tabletop pen and paper stuff

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Tabletop pen and paper stuff

Okay great. Thank you for contextualizing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Capntastic posted:

They would never trust The Computer, and earn termination after termination by trying to use magic words on it.

Ze Pollack posted:

unknown armies is a game about how if you are the right kind of insane you can get magic powers by very strictly following the rules of your personal brand of insanity, and it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe it like hell. this sounds like the setup for wish fulfillment, but they do a pretty good job of establishing that no, a world of warring insane people trying to prove their insanity right is really hopelessly hosed up.

an Adept of Open Carry -KNOWS- that a well-armed society is a polite society. by simply displaying their fetish object (in 99% of cases it's a gun, but there's a few people who are unhealthily attached to other weapons instead) they gain sorcerous power from the peace thus achieved.

of course, if they have to actually shoot someone with the drat thing, that at least temporarily proves their insane fantasy world wrong, and thus they lose magic powers for doing so.

there are Adepts of pretty much every fringe (and mainstream!) philosophy/conspiracy theory/whatever. if there was an Adept who could come up with a philosophy that completely described the world, they'd pretty much be god. Unfortunately the Adepts of Capitalism lose power every time they sacrifice short-term profits for long-term gain, the Adepts of Democracy lose power every time they don't wait for consensus before acting, the Adepts of Celebrity lose power every time they try to do something privately, etc, etc, the game is excitingly dumb.

I lost track of it more than one edition ago, is it actually playable now? I loved the flavor and concept but found the original mechanics to be incredibly clunky.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ze Pollack posted:

sounds like a pretty weak believer. any true believer would know that anyone that had to be shot was obviously not of the body, but a barbarian interloper unfit for polite company

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sounds like a pretty weak believer. any true believer would know that anyone that had to be shot was obviously not of the body, but a barbarian interloper unfit for polite company

the closest thing the game gets to wish fulfillment fantasy is that it doesn't allow for weasel clauses like that. the ineffable laws of whatever the gently caress it is that is handing out magic powers doesn't care that the Sovereign Citizen Adept got a ton of great poo poo by craftily submitting to joinder just this once and accepting farm subsidies. he betrayed his crazy-rear end principles and so he loses some magic powers.

the mechanics are unbelievably clunky and so I don't recommend playing the game, but the idea is neat as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

WrenP-Complete posted:

Okay great. Thank you for contextualizing.

If you need it in the form of a comparison: Like D&D.