Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Does anyone know if Elder Kings updated the Developer version to the newest patch? I foolishly rediscovered it right before the patch went live and now everything is borked (understandably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What do I gain other than dying in new hilarious ways with Reapers Due

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Top Hats Monthly posted:

There's an event chain that can grant immortality. Not sure if that's base or with TRD, though.

In other news, I just got the Aztec invasion warning in 826. Whee!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Prosperity is a pretty cool mechanic, and it can lead to you adding holding slots to counties.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Top Hats Monthly posted:

BenRGamer posted:

There's an event chain that can grant immortality. Not sure if that's base or with TRD, though.

In other news, I just got the Aztec invasion warning in 826. Whee!

Immortality is part of Reaper's.

Feature list!
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/The_Reaper%27s_Due

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Wow, rejecting the serf's claims that the Jews are responsible for whatever afflicts them is punishing! 100% reduction in taxes for 10 years? I know it's historical to blame the Jews for poisoning wells and such, but there should be a less punishing way to not have to go through pogroms.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GreenMarine posted:

Wow, rejecting the serf's claims that the Jews are responsible for whatever afflicts them is punishing! 100% reduction in taxes for 10 years? I know it's historical to blame the Jews for poisoning wells and such, but there should be a less punishing way to not have to go through pogroms.

I think it's just in one county so it's not that bad a hit. Plus if it's the Black Death they're complaining about you aren't going to be collecting much in the way of taxes for a while anyway.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Feature list!" posted:

Norse Shieldmaidens warrior women as bodyguards or commanders.

What does that mean?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im interested some features in Reaper's and Im laughing a lot with all the crazy stories about lunatic cannibals with venereal diseases people are posting here, but a the same time is not like Ive ever looked at CK2 and though "hmm you know what would make this game more fun? a lot more diseases killing your characters at random"

It seems to me that diseases in CK2 are already deadly and frequent enough

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Nice. First go at Francia, starting with Karloman, and I get my longest living character so far.

Outlived 8 of his 10 children :toot:

also

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had a wife get the syph from some guy she was cheating on me with, so I killed him in a duel and imprisoned her. Since she was too old anyway, I decided to have her killed.

Look, I've seen pictures of syphilis in ye olden days. A quick death would be a blessing in comparison anyway, right?

...And then my king has her buried alive. Alright, I was going for something a BIT nicer than that, man!

Raserys posted:

there should probably be some way to ensure it has the same portrait dna as the original character

Mine wasn't anywhere remotely near the line of succession anyway, so I don't actually know what happened to them. Either they were pruned or something automatically married them or I dunno. I don't even think it ever asked me to get her educated/etc.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenMarine posted:

Does Tolerance affect this, by any chance? Either the likelihood of it happening or the negative effects, perhaps.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im interested some features in Reaper's and Im laughing a lot with all the crazy stories about lunatic cannibals with venereal diseases people are posting here, but a the same time is not like Ive ever looked at CK2 and though "hmm you know what would make this game more fun? a lot more diseases killing your characters at random"

It seems to me that diseases in CK2 are already deadly and frequent enough

Having a good court physician mitigates a lot of the issues with diseases, in my experience, frequently neutralizing them entirely (to the point that I think sometimes diseases are less of an issue for me than in base CK2) and if you close your holdings when the disease arrives you can almost definitely avoid the disease, at least in the case of the lesser ones; haven't gotten to the Black Death yet myself. You have some other negative effects from it, but it's still an option. You can also build hospitals to help prevent disease outbreaks and such.

Basically, it's not as big a deal as you think it is, as long as you take the right course of action.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The fourth primary Hospital upgrade (Extended Wards) basically eliminates minor diseases from a county. It's pretty expensive, but I set one up in Constantinople and it never got an Epidemic again.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I spent a ton of gold in hospitals in all my demesne, concentrating on my capital of course. Something like 3000 gold in the capital alone, it's a giant money sink.

Turns out high prosperity reduces disease resistance due to all the filthy peasants flocking where the money's at. Still got measles and died.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is there a Nomad faction thats particularly fun? Every single one I've tried so far seems to be akin to hammering your own dick in terms of difficulty.

Without fail, each of my my experience playing nomads involved me having to take a -500 prestige hit every time i need my khagan to marry because there's never anyone of suitable station, having to spam the commander, priest, and noble intrigue options just to be able to fill my council, not being able to get a court physician (ever?), and then being forced into a war with my vassals for reasons all within the first year or two. Sometimes I'm able to take a couple counties or do some raiding but it never lasts long. Am I just picking lovely factions?

I'm also really starting to turn on the black death DLC. It was cool at first but now it just seems like it wants to gently caress me over constantly for no gain.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 12, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sankis posted:

Is there a Nomad faction thats particularly fun? Every single one I've tried so far seems to be akin to hammering your own dick in terms of difficulty.

Without fail, each of my my experience playing nomads involved me having to take a -500 prestige hit every time i need my khagan to marry because there's never anyone of suitable station, having to spam the commander, priest, and noble intrigue options just to be able to fill my council, not being able to get a court physician (ever?), and then being forced into a war with my vassals for reasons all within the first year or two. Sometimes I'm able to take a couple counties or do some raiding but it never lasts long. Am I just picking lovely factions?

I'm also really starting to turn on the black death DLC. It was cool at first but now it just seems like it wants to gently caress me over constantly for no gain.

It might be easier if you start as a vassal khan, as you wont have to worry about internal politics early on and being part of something bigger means you have more protection against external threats while you are still small

My early-game nomad strategy used to be just "keep your horde army at max, expand a lot, fast and early"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
One thing for nomads; you dont have to start as the liege and in fact it can be better to start as an underling as they're often, for some bizarre reason, larger than the overlord. Pick one of the smaller clans under the Uyghur, conquer the silk road, laugh and grow fat while your overlord languishes, become blood-brother to the head of the strongest other clan, then steal the top level title and begin loving over the other khanates when you got the manpower and money.

It's pretty drat important to upgrade your capital holding too; remember you can also raid your fellow nomads if you declare feuds with them or they're from enemy khaganates. Stealing tech to reach the all important city tech level 2, which lets you improve your ox carts is important too, because it adds a buncha possible population and then it's just a matter of stacking the population boosts and occasionally humiliating your enemies.

Nomads have a tough start, but once they get rolling they're good. Real good.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sankis posted:

I might be wrong there but I think reaper's due and conclave were made to make the game tougher so that you don't have to do crazy stuff to have a challenge.

Let's face it pre conclave it was all too easy to have an iron grip over your subjects, conquer huge swathes of land, breed super heirs and generally keep things predictable and under control.

There were of course fuckups and bad luck could crush you sometimes but the game never felt "dangerous", all it provided was setbacks that you could mostly recover in one generation or so, and having say a small dynasty at the start meant nothing because by the time you're a grandfather things would be sorted out barring extreme conditions. Now a serious plague can gently caress you over big time even later on, and you can't easily amass titles with the damned council and realm peace

I like that, some people hate it, in the end nothing really matters because your horse doctor will buttrape you and then you'll die of diarrhea

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Tbh, I've found the vassal limit to be a lot more irrating than the council limits, especially as a merchant republic.

What the gently caress do they mean I can only have 20 loving vassals as a goddamn empire??? Also no usurping kingdoms for baffling reasons.

That, alongside non-players never raising centralization, theocracies never forming kingdoms and forbidding religious leaders from having two duchy titles is annoying as heck.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Interesting. I wasn't really aware of the clan thing for Nomads. I thought I just had to pick the primary clan. That makes a lot of sense. I'll give that a shot.

TorakFade posted:

I might be wrong there but I think reaper's due and conclave were made to make the game tougher so that you don't have to do crazy stuff to have a challenge.

Let's face it pre conclave it was all too easy to have an iron grip over your subjects, conquer huge swathes of land, breed super heirs and generally keep things predictable and under control.

There were of course fuckups and bad luck could crush you sometimes but the game never felt "dangerous", all it provided was setbacks that you could mostly recover in one generation or so, and having say a small dynasty at the start meant nothing because by the time you're a grandfather things would be sorted out barring extreme conditions. Now a serious plague can gently caress you over big time even later on, and you can't easily amass titles with the damned council and realm peace

I like that, some people hate it, in the end nothing really matters because your horse doctor will buttrape you and then you'll die of diarrhea

See, I don't have an issue with Conclave. I feel like it adds something to the game with the favor stuff, even if it's still a bit limited, and the law changes feel a lot better than what we had before.

The Reaper's Due, on the other hand, just feels like the game is constantly rolling dice and for 5 of the 6 numbers you get cancer and die.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's like you don't even want cancer :confused:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I want my enemies to die of cancer I don't want to die of cancer too :(

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Darkrenown posted:

I kinda like it but I too feel like it's excessive. It seems every single character I play gets a major disease unless I am super careful to shut the gates immediately as soon as an epidemic nears, and even with good doctors you won't last long unless you get the milder ones.

I am on the default settings and my current game first four characters had cancer, leprosy, measles and syphilis. The first three killed me off quickly, the fourth didn't but made me a lunatic, then passed to my heir at birth and he too went lunatic at 16. Every character I look at, green skulls on everybody linked to them.

I mean ok those were tough times but what the hell, one wonders how did we actually manage to avoid total extinction.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Sankis posted:

Interesting. I wasn't really aware of the clan thing for Nomads. I thought I just had to pick the primary clan. That makes a lot of sense. I'll give that a shot.

See, I don't have an issue with Conclave. I feel like it adds something to the game with the favor stuff, even if it's still a bit limited, and the law changes feel a lot better than what we had before.

The Reaper's Due, on the other hand, just feels like the game is constantly rolling dice and for 5 of the 6 numbers you get cancer and die.

You can interact with the health system more meaningfully now though. Before it was the RNG rolling the dice and deciding you die, now if you want to survive cancer you can switch to a +health focus and take the standard procedure from a lvl 10 court physician and still have the same lifespan, you can ignore it entirely to die sooner or you can choose for experimental remedies to live far longer than you would have if it was just the "ill" trait pre-Reaper's Due.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm baffled by some of the Reaper's Due complaints; I seriously have next to no issues with diseases and I haven't even built myself a hospital in most of my games. Having a 16+ Learning court physician who doesn't hate you seems to do a great job of keeping you alive most of the time. I've only had one ruler get cancer, too. Am I lucky/other people unlucky, or are people just really overstating their problems?

Edit:

TorakFade posted:

I kinda like it but I too feel like it's excessive. It seems every single character I play gets a major disease unless I am super careful to shut the gates immediately as soon as an epidemic nears, and even with good doctors you won't last long unless you get the milder ones.

I am on the default settings and my current game first four characters had cancer, leprosy, measles and syphilis. The first three killed me off quickly, the fourth didn't but made me a lunatic, then passed to my heir at birth and he too went lunatic at 16. Every character I look at, green skulls on everybody linked to them.

I mean ok those were tough times but what the hell, one wonders how did we actually manage to avoid total extinction.

Oh wow, that's really different from my experiences. Do you have the disease frequency turned up or something? I have minor diseases set to the default and the Black Death set to its historical start most of the time.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I had a weird/fun thing happen when I tried playing nomads after Reaper's. In my first 3 starts as the Ötüken my ruler got cancer in the first 5 years. First time he got cancer and quickly died. Second try he, his wife and first child got cancer, but they all survived until I was conquered by a neighboring clan. Third try he, and his son got cancer, the son quickly died, but a new son was born. My court physician cured him of cancer by castrating him, shortly followed by his 2 year old only son getting cancer too. :v:

Haven't had a cancer problems after that, though, but for a while it seemed like the Ötüken clan was situated on top of a huge uranium deposit.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Roland Jones posted:

I'm baffled by some of the Reaper's Due complaints; I seriously have next to no issues with diseases and I haven't even built myself a hospital in most of my games. Having a 16+ Learning court physician who doesn't hate you seems to do a great job of keeping you alive most of the time. I've only had one ruler get cancer, too. Am I lucky/other people unlucky, or are people just really overstating their problems?

Edit:

Oh wow, that's really different from my experiences. Do you have the disease frequency turned up or something? I have minor diseases set to the default and the Black Death set to its historical start most of the time.

Probably a combination of bad luck and never shutting the gates (I am a man of the people!), even though I built up my capital hospital as much as possible.

Everything is on default settings but it is also my first proper 100+ year long game with reaper and some of my characters got sick later in life (Matilda dying of cancer 10 years in, barely making one heir before kicking the bucket sucked though :smith: ) so might actually be a fluke.. Even so it seems many people have similar experiences, maybe the devs can shed some light on how prevalent disease should be?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

Are you raiding? Never not be raiding. 500 prestige should be a drop in the bucket for you. Likewise, max out your horde as quickly as possible even if it puts you in the red on upkeep - Subjugate and pillage feudal realms for a huge cash influx, raid and declare tribute wars for more steady cash flow. Subjugate and don't pillage if you want to have a nice character pool for your council/commanders. They won't like you very much but that can be mitigated if you're the same religion (nomads unfortunately can't force other characters to convert, but you can change your OWN religion fairly easily).

For a court physician just because you don't have the "find a court physician" decision doesn't mean you can't get one. You can give anyone with 15+ learning the honorary title, which is pretty easy to find by just inviting a few holy men. If they perform enough treatments on the job they'll even pick up the "renowned physician" trait automatically.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This popped up in my facebook fgeed today

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/12/crusader-kings-2-random-map-mod/

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Darkrenown posted:

I had a 0 year old immediately get Cancer.
I know you changed it to reduce the odds… but drat, that's depressing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TorakFade posted:

Probably a combination of bad luck and never shutting the gates (I am a man of the people!), even though I built up my capital hospital as much as possible.

Everything is on default settings but it is also my first proper 100+ year long game with reaper and some of my characters got sick later in life (Matilda dying of cancer 10 years in, barely making one heir before kicking the bucket sucked though :smith: ) so might actually be a fluke.. Even so it seems many people have similar experiences, maybe the devs can shed some light on how prevalent disease should be?

Huh, I've risked not closing my gates sometimes too, depending on how I'm feeling, what I'm up to, and how confident I am in my court physician; if I am at war (and thus out of my capital) and don't have anyone important to protect, I'll frequently leave it open too. (Though once I actually caught a disease that wasn't in my capital because I was leading an army where the disease was; after that, I've made sure to keep an eye on that sort of thing and manage my generals accordingly.) I dunno, maybe I'm just lucky then.

Unrelated, that Sogdiana game is going well. In addition to the independence revolt and the revolt to replace the Abbasid caliph, three more replacement revolts broke out against him, I stole Esfahan from him while he was dealing with all the revolts (though some rear end in a top hat built a second temple in it; I wanted to have four castles there), and a Shi'a uprising is happening in his land (though sadly in Mesopotamia, where he lost most of it to the independence revolt, and which is going to be in my way after I get the rest of Persia, so sadly their time is limited). Also I checked his page again and somehow he's a eunuch now, so I guess he got cancer or something and his physician chopped his dick off.

All this happened in the space of six years; he was nineteen when I blew up his father and dueled then murdered his brother and he wound up on the throne, and now he's twenty-five, lost half his empire, is on the verge of losing more, and lost his dick. This guy is having an awful time.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 12, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Edison was a dick posted:

I had a pair of identical twins in my college biology class. They both had leukemia when they were 7.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Boy when you're surrounded by other pagans they really jump on you as soon as there's any sign of weakness, huh?

I had a 2500 horde in Uhgyr and decided to try to take one of the one province places on the silk road. What a mistake that was. Apparently each of those tiny counties has a 5k army. As soon as that happened I got three other war decs from neighboring tribes. GG

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
When the black death came in my game I shut the gates. All of my vassals got the plague and died, some whose entire lines were wiped out. About 7 popes got the plague and died, some days after the others. My daughter died. My wife died. One of my sons died. My ruler got a mild case and a successful treatment, then shrugged it off. And then the physician who treated him died.

In conclusion, reapers due is a land of contrasts.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glass of Milk posted:

When the black death came in my game I shut the gates. All of my vassals got the plague and died, some whose entire lives were wiped out. About 7 popes got the plague and died, some days after the others. My daughter died. My wife died. One of my sons died. My ruler got a mild case and a successful treatment, then shrugged it off. And then the physician who treated him died.

In conclusion, reapers due is a land of contrasts.

Well, the plague wiping everything out is appropriate, considering how much damage it did in real life; the population of Europe, percentage-wise, dropped by double digits. It was a nightmare.

Congrats on surviving it though. Good work. Now murder all your enemies who aren't already dead of plague and take everything from them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I got to execute someone by Scaphism. :smuggo:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I was curious how the When The World Stopped Making Sense mod is doing these days.

oh.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ofaloaf posted:

I was curious how the When The World Stopped Making Sense mod is doing these days.

oh.

Have they added more provinces to North Africa?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Edison was a dick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q950bc2Yoz0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Chickpea Roar posted:

I had a weird/fun thing happen when I tried playing nomads after Reaper's. In my first 3 starts as the Ötüken my ruler got cancer in the first 5 years. First time he got cancer and quickly died. Second try he, his wife and first child got cancer, but they all survived until I was conquered by a neighboring clan. Third try he, and his son got cancer, the son quickly died, but a new son was born. My court physician cured him of cancer by castrating him, shortly followed by his 2 year old only son getting cancer too. :v:

Haven't had a cancer problems after that, though, but for a while it seemed like the Ötüken clan was situated on top of a huge uranium deposit.

Just on this, I too am trying to get into Nomad play and would really like to get the Ötüken start working. Any advice on how to do any of it? Raiding doesn't bring in anything since you seem to be stuck between penniless Tribals and fellow Nomads. I tried taking the Tribals near me, and all the vassals spent the Piety to raise ridiculous armies I couldn't do anything about. I saw a moment of weakness from the Uyghurs and tried to take them out with my 1250 guys, only to find out that I was only looking at the Khagan's horde, and that all the Khans under him had for some reason over 2k hordes each which led to a quick pulverising and losing my capital in a game over. What am I actually supposed to be doing to make this start work? Have I just picked a really poor way to learn Nomad mechanics, or is there some sort of slow-boil start I should be doing until I'm ready to start mixing things up with my neighbours?

• Locked thread