Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't "get" One Piece. My wife and I have taken to watching One Punch Man and Hunter x Hunter on Toonami late on Saturday nights and we can't stand anything we've seen in One Piece. The last episode was the long nosed guy voiced by Krillin's voice actor using a slingshot to fight some flying clown chick with a stupid laugh (a-hur hur hur or something like that) while Luffy was fighting a bowling pin shaped vampire. Dumbest poo poo I've ever seen..

I'm right there with you.

By all rights I should like one piece, it's written expertly, has a fantastically original story, great pacing and interesting locations but... Meh.

I must have tried reading the manga half a dozen times but every time I get a few arcs in and just find myself frustrated by how busy the page work is (the anti-kubo) and how wacky the whole world is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't get into One Piece because I found Luffy insanely profoundly dislikable and the story REALLY depends on me liking him. I love the wacky world, I enjoy some of the art style (he's awful at ladies), I think the creative cartoony fights are great just... gently caress Luffy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I can't get into One Piece because I found Luffy insanely profoundly dislikable and the story REALLY depends on me liking him. I love the wacky world, I enjoy some of the art style (he's awful at ladies), I think the creative cartoony fights are great just... gently caress Luffy.

I only barely tried One Piece, but that was my impression as well. Luffy just seemed obnoxious and boring - even Naruto seemed better from the outset.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
How did this DBZ/One Piece connection even get started? They seem to team up on a lot of games. The tiny bit I've watched makes me feel like One Piece would be utterly outclassed by DBZ.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

New Leaf posted:

How did this DBZ/One Piece connection even get started? They seem to team up on a lot of games. The tiny bit I've watched makes me feel like One Piece would be utterly outclassed by DBZ.

nuh-uh, my power level can beat up your power level.

but golden freeza could totally beat them all lol

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 12, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Both are massively popular in Japan.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
One Piece was real good but I stopped following a bit after the timeskip (they were on an island of toys and stuff). I can't really go back and catch up since that was years ago and there are probably hundreds of chapters to read up on, so I haven't bothered. They introduced some stuff that I don't really like anyway (like Haki being a thing for instance), so maybe it was time to stop.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
one piece owns!!!!!!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

One Piece was real good but I stopped following a bit after the timeskip (they were on an island of toys and stuff). I can't really go back and catch up since that was years ago and there are probably hundreds of chapters to read up on, so I haven't bothered. They introduced some stuff that I don't really like anyway (like Haki being a thing for instance), so maybe it was time to stop.

Dressrosa lasted about 2 years, you're not that far behind. The pace is kind of dragging, though, I stopped reading it 2 months ago and I'm not sure I care to start reading it again, especially when every island seems to take about a solid year at least now. Shokugeki no Soma is the Thursday manga update I'm looking forward to now, anyways.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Both One Piece and Dragonball are media meant for children. Dragonball just happened to be cool when I was a child, while One Piece was still only in Japan.

Caros
May 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Oda, the artist for one piece grew up adoring toriyama. When he made it big that allowed him the chance to work with his idol, which he does basically every chance he gets. Jump does it because one piece and dragonball are their top ever series.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

One Piece needs to end. I don't mean "oh it's terrible someone cancel it" but "Seriously this has been going on for over a decade or so now and there's probably another decade left". At some point they need to reach the loving end of the journey, but it's been shown that there is no actual "map" to get there. They can just keep bumping into new islands to fill space forever. So what's the point in reading week to week? Come back in like twenty years and MAYBE it'll finally be over.

If it all wraps up satisfyingly years and years from now, great, but sitting in the middle waiting for this poo poo to move the gently caress on, no thanks. One Piece is like Goku running across Snake Way to get to King Kai's... forever.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Luffy honestly scares me. At one point in their series there is a comedy scene where they kill a talking animal and cook it for the crew. Ever since then I have been convinced that the only thing keeping Luffy from eating people is the taste.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I tend to let One Piece stack up and read it in chunks these days but iirc they actually did recently establish that there actually totally IS a map to get there. Or rather, 4 things you can use to plot out the location.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I tend to let One Piece stack up and read it in chunks these days but iirc they actually did recently establish that there actually totally IS a map to get there. Or rather, 4 things you can use to plot out the location.

Yes. At arbitrary points that they may or may not reach for years. The point is more that there's no step-by-step guide, they just keep bumping into new islands until they found/get told where the next plot coupon is, and there's a completely open frame there to slot in more content as needed to fill space.

It's basically a marketing exec/publisher's dream, there's an end point to keep people invested, but you can extend the story as long as necessary to make more and more money.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh I don't disagree, there's no reason a story needs to be that long.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you the ending: Luffy becomes the pirate king.

Congratulations, you don't need to worry about it anymore.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

One piece has way too many loving characters and I really don't like the art style at all. Aside from me not being a fan of the character designs it's just way too cluttered.

I remember posts from forever ago, but there was a real good demonstration as to how Toriyama was fantastic at pacing and layout when he did the DBZ manga. It's like the exact opposite of one piece.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Let me tell you the ending: Luffy becomes the pirate king.

Congratulations, you don't need to worry about it anymore.

The issue with "it's not the destination, it's the journey" is that, well, that works better when you know they're HEADING towards a destination. DBZ, for all of its faults, was always pretty good at establishing end-points and new journeys, it's why we're at a multiverse-destroying level of escalation right now. I can't say anything about One Piece, but Hajime on Ippo is an example of a series that lost its focus on the final objective - they're even touching on that now - and I think a lot of shonen manga has the same problem.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like one piece

Marky Marx posted:

Couldn't Black just be the Goku from Universe 6 since Beerus brought Earth 2 back at the end of the last tournament?

black is bardock with amnesia

no wait... he's turles

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

One Piece needs to end. I don't mean "oh it's terrible someone cancel it" but "Seriously this has been going on for over a decade or so now and there's probably another decade left". At some point they need to reach the loving end of the journey, but it's been shown that there is no actual "map" to get there. They can just keep bumping into new islands to fill space forever. So what's the point in reading week to week? Come back in like twenty years and MAYBE it'll finally be over.

If it all wraps up satisfyingly years and years from now, great, but sitting in the middle waiting for this poo poo to move the gently caress on, no thanks. One Piece is like Goku running across Snake Way to get to King Kai's... forever.

if you don't enjoy it don't read it? I don't get it. Why does it have to end because you personally feel its going to go on too long. I mean we're in a DBZ thread where the series got a whole new loving extension and there's no end goal to Dragon Ball.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

The issue with "it's not the destination, it's the journey" is that, well, that works better when you know they're HEADING towards a destination. DBZ, for all of its faults, was always pretty good at establishing end-points and new journeys, it's why we're at a multiverse-destroying level of escalation right now. I can't say anything about One Piece, but Hajime on Ippo is an example of a series that lost its focus on the final objective - they're even touching on that now - and I think a lot of shonen manga has the same problem.

One piece is pretty good at doing that too.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

one piece owns!!!!!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I think this one piece derail has worn out its welcome. It seems rather out of place in the DBZ thread, discussing the merits of some other anime, and I think this thread would be better off if everyone could move past this subject. Thanks, everyone!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hunter x hunter is the true successor to dbz.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Stairmaster posted:

hunter x hunter is the true successor to dbz.

I see it as more of a Dragonball than DBZ, but they're very similar and I'm really enjoying what I've seen of Hunter x Hunter.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If we're talking Shounen fights-manga, I was a JoJo fan before it was cool, and will continue to be a fan well after it stops being cool.

What I like about Dragonball is the way it kinda blends genres in a way that shouldn't really work. Not only does it work, but you won't even notice if you aren't looking at the whole story that it's an adventure, a comedy, a standard shounen, and now a slice-of-life.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm reading middle-Dragonball for the first time and god it's tedious.

Goku wins lol this is worse than the worst DBZ (apart from Roshi trying to figure out how to beat him and actually succeeding).

And the gently caress was that penguin village poo poo?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Toriyami is channelling that Twilight Zone episode where a child was the most powerful person in the universe and the results are just as horrifying.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

One Piece is good, don't watch the anime.

Dragonball is good, watch Super.

JoJo is good, read the manga and watch the anime!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
One piece used to own in the oughts. Now I watch it out of obligation.

DBZ is the best and DBS is pretty good so far.

Static b&w images with text is boring, I crave moving color pictures with sound.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Static b&w images with text is boring, I crave moving color pictures with sound.

:chloe:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Freakazoid_ posted:

One piece used to own in the oughts. Now I watch it out of obligation.

DBZ is the best and DBS is pretty good so far.

Counterpoint: Read the Dragonball manga.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
people really should read the db manga to appreciate just how good toriyama is with fight scenes

even today his stuff is impressive

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

people really should read the db manga to appreciate just how good toriyama is with fight scenes

even today his stuff is impressive

Definitely. What I love best about reading earlier works of current manga artists is seeing the slow progression of their artistic abilities develop over the years.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Every major release delayed out of October is another worrying step towards my buying Xenoverse 2 and making another Saiyan 18.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Rodyle posted:

Every major release delayed out of October is another worrying step towards my buying Xenoverse 2 and making another Saiyan 18.

It's good to buy Xenoverse 2: Even More Xenos, Rodyle.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

It's good to buy Xenoverse 2: Even More Xenos, Rodyle.

I didn't even like X1!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I tried X1 but I just found the combat frustrating and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Pre Ordered

Now I just need to know what the gently caress I can do with my gear. If I can change the color of my Sayiaman helmet, man, the doors open.

• Locked thread