Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There's a two hour active period, if the timer on Makoto's wrist in Episode 1 is completely accurate, but we haven't gotten the length of time for the sleep period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Haifisch posted:

Souda was cool until the writers ignored the character traits that made him bearable & emphasized "obsesses over Sonia" and "gets overly hostile under pressure" way too much.

Yeah the role of 'person with perfectly understandable reactions' pretty much shifted to Kuzuryu after Chapter 3 when the Sonia/Mechamaru-crush shifted to high gear.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Voted Worst Mom posted:

If you guys think Chisa is the mastermind, isn't it easy enough for her to swap herself with someone else when everyone is moved to the underground facility and kill someone dressed as you a la Junko/Mukuro. So who's Chisa's twin sister?

Because killing herself makes a certain kind of warped sense.

The Divine Orator posted:

If you think about it the Future Foundation is kind of an ok choice among the 3, at least there's nobody insufferably gross like Hifumi/Teru.

Yamada was an ubergoon but was he really as bad as Teru? I don't recall him being that bad.

I'm interested in what that choice affects, though; Only the DR 2 class is available.

Serious Frolicking posted:

hinata: gives weird gifts, listens to your life story, answers your trivia questions

komaeda: talks about hope, how wonderful you are and how worthless he is.

not much of a choice there.

You know going back to Hinata for a second, it makes the whole of DR kinda tragic that he was dismissed out of not being talented, because he really was. He was intelligent, curious, empathetic and had good people skills. Yeah that might not get you down in the history books but it was basically the exact skill set that would've stopped Junko's plan from working.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anatharon posted:

You know going back to Hinata for a second, it makes the whole of DR kinda tragic that he was dismissed out of not being talented, because he really was. He was intelligent, curious, empathetic and had good people skills. Yeah that might not get you down in the history books but it was basically the exact skill set that would've stopped Junko's plan from working.

Well it doesn't help that most of the super talents, with a few exceptions, are idiot savants.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm very excited for the Future episode tomorrow even though I'm sure it will probably mostly involve talking and nothing being accomplished

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I'm very excited for the Future episode tomorrow even though I'm sure it will probably mostly involve talking and nothing being accomplished

Jabberwock Island side-story. Actually, I'd probably enjoy that if it weren't for Kazuichi.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
please don't let one anime dude that would get like 2 minutes tops, spoil an episode for you.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

voltcatfish posted:

We're in the endgame now. I'm pretty sure poo poo is going to happen and it's not letting up until the end.

I can see the next episode going in one of two directions: Either we're getting the clash of hopes between Naegi and Munakata that they've been building toward since the beginning, or we're going back to Jabberwock Island to see what's up with Hajime and his crew.

Though it would be strange to do a Jabberwock episode now. They haven't yet resolved what happens to Chiaki and how it impacts Izuru in the Despair arc; important questions that could be given away by an episode on Jabberwock Island. If we go to Jabberwock Island and it's revealed that Chiaki is alive, it would kill part of the suspense of the following Despair arc episode. Though maybe, in that case, the question would shift from "Does Chiaki survive?" to "How does Chiaki survive, and was she turned to despair too?". It would also prematurely answer the question as to whether Hajime has turned back into Izuru, and reverted to his old despair-filled self.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Reminder that Togami said his men were going to bring the remnants to the tower.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

DR side news: the Spike Chunsoft and DR official twitter accounts retweeted tomorrow's Sony TGS press conference and suggested followers watch it. We'll probably get some new DRV3 details.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Someone's translated the results for that quiz.

(I also got Koizumi, which I'm ok with.)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Been following the /a/ watch of livestream. Six people are still alive.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Watched the new episode live. Lotta fun stuff.

Chisa going to a preschool and killing children is just so over the top dark I don't know what to make of it really. Also Tengan's "everyone is the attacker" is finally confirmed and Munakata finally stopped trying to execute everyone so I guess he has a good chance to make it to the end.

The jabberwock tease at the end sucks rear end though, gently caress off with that.

There's only 2 episodes left right? I can't see how this is going to have a satisfying ending at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Asahina and the rectangular steak of answers

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
eh, it could be better.

in fact, I would say that it's the worst episode so far, in terms of quality.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 12, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

That was... a weird episode. That's about all I can say about it.

And yes, that Jabberwock stinger can go gently caress itself. That stinger had zero new information compared to one several episodes ago. How do you do that? How do you go from BOATS AND ALSO IZURU to just STILL BOATS?

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012
Winning a fist fight with 'SORE WA CHIGAU YO' was pretty great.

TheMcD posted:

That was... a weird episode. That's about all I can say about it.

And yes, that Jabberwock stinger can go gently caress itself. That stinger had zero new information compared to one several episodes ago. How do you do that? How do you go from BOATS AND ALSO IZURU to just STILL BOATS?

I think the new information was that one of those boats was leaving the island.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Slokir posted:

I think the new information was that one of those boats was leaving the island.

Huh, I didn't even notice the lack of island in the last shot, I just saw the one before it, which just made it look like one boat is getting closer to the island, and figured that was what was happening. Boat positioning is weird.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the problem with that episode is that it was mostly about Munatanka, and gently caress that guy.

Although it was nice to see Naegi do something practical for once. He might not be a super soldier, or a super genius, but this proves he's about as resourceful as the survivor of your average horror movie.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The continued lack of actual information about Jabberwock only more confirms for me that Chiaki is going to survive the Despair Arc and she's on one of those boats.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TheManSeries posted:

Been following the /a/ watch of livestream. Six people are still alive.

Interesting. There were four deaths in Episode 9, so that means one of them wasn't real. There's a number of ways they could go with this.

The big question mark here is Miaya. Since she's a robot, does she count as a participant or not? Since Monaca claimed that she didn't know who the mastermind was, it's possible that the mastermind didn't know about her, either. Therefore, she might have been counted as a participant and scratched off the list after being totaled. And if the mastermind didn't know about Monaca, maybe she did have a bracelet and was telling the truth about her NG Code; what she didn't say was that it wouldn't have done anything since she was a robot.

If that's true then that means one of the others isn't dead. Ruruka's body seems too battered to be faked, so it's between Kyoko and Juzo, in my opinion. And now that Munakata's come to his senses, I think the only reason for Juzo to survive would be if he's the mastermind(and we'll have to see how his confrontation with Junko in Despair Episode 10 shakes out to see if that holds water). And that leaves Kyoko, since the Cure-W theory hasn't been debunked yet.

So that's five people, including the four we know to be alive. So who's the sixth? It has to be either Hagakure (and since he's locked outside and not participating, it's a bit of a stretch to count him) or a secret participant. And we're late enough in the game that if there is a hidden person, chances are they'll be the mastermind. The best candidate for a hidden mastermind, in my opinion, is Chisa. The Killer Killer spinoff introduces an Ultimate Make-up Artist with the ability to make fake bodies; it's possible that Chisa's body is a fake. But we saw the survivor counter go down, so maybe "Chisa" was actually the 13th branch leader.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 12, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Aren't there four live people right now? If you add Kyoko that just makes five.

Worth noting is that Naegi passed by Gekkouhara, but we never saw Juzo's corpse. That's a bit of a red flag, even though I doubt Munakata would miss a killing blow.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
This episode basically confirmed one of my theories after the whole Tengan talk and Chisa in the last episode of Despair. She and Tengan totally planned this, hell I just remembered in the last episode of Despair someone mentioned that Junko must have a accomplice in the school because of her place under the statue and I bet that person was Tengan and with Chisa going over to the despair side yup it means they were totally together in on this game.
My theory is also that the real Miaya was involved in this with the whole knowing the forbidden actions of everyone thing so that's the only thing that needs confirmation.

Other than that the theory that the tv all over the place are used for brainwashing for someone to kill is almost certain now, some people are saying it's suicide but I believe the only suicide was Ruruka and that's because she tried to fight against the braiwashing using her candies and that's why her body is so different.

I dunno how the finale will play out because the masterminds of this could be dead. Also I think that Munakata will still die, he has too much blood on his hands to survive now(well if Juzo is the one alive he could survive because the only person he would kill would be Tengan who was evil so I dunno)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The idea that brainwashing the attacker each round still means that either Naegi or Asahina killed Gozu, unless he hung himself. I doubt Maya could have been brainwashed since y'know, robot, if she was even knocked out..

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Aren't there four live people right now? If you add Kyoko that just makes five.

Worth noting is that Naegi passed by Gekkouhara, but we never saw Juzo's corpse. That's a bit of a red flag, even though I doubt Munakata would miss a killing blow.

My theory for the six that are currently alive would go:

Makoto, Hina, Ryota, Munakata, Kyoko(or Juzo), and hidden participant(or Hagakure).

Nobody has found Ruruka's corpse, either. Though I have a hunch about that. Just before he discovered the secret exit and got killed by Ruruka, Izayoi had found both a sword and a gun. We know Munakata took the sword, but we never saw him take the gun. And since Ruruka was the one to kill Izayoi, the most likely explanation is that she took the gun.

So we'll probably find it near her corpse. If the despair video made her kill herself like people theorize, the state of her body seems consistent with her turning the gun on herself (it also had some bayonets on it that could be used in stabbings). The very definition of Chekhov's Gun states that they can't introduce a gun that never gets fired. So someone has to find it.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 12, 2016

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Ha, 6 people left? They aren't even trying to pretend that Kyoko is dead. Unless Juzo is still alive. I hope not, because I still hate him.

With the blood drops leading Munakata to Makoto, I thought that the blood Makoto wiped onto his hand from Kyoko would be used to trick Munakata, but I guess not.

The photo with Chisa claiming she killed the people covered up in the photo was pretty funny. When did Munakata get that again? I think Chisa had the pictures on her, and he got them when he stabbed her, but I'm not really sure. I guess it confirms that Chisa remained a Despair until she died at the start, and didn't get fixed from her brainwashing/lobotomy.

The attacker is multiple people? I guess we will find out what that means next episode, or the episode after that, depending on if the Jabberwock island stuff is covered in the next episode.

With the boat leaving the island, I assume that the surviving DR2 cast, with their unconscious friends, are aboard that boat. There is no way that they could make it to the killing game in time before the end of the series, so I have no idea what they are going to do with them.

Munakata's forbidden action is finally revealed, and it's exactly what everyone thought. We only need Ryota's action now. There must be some reason he hasn't revealed it. I figure it either gives a hint that he is a despair, or something that he can't reveal, like revealing your forbidden action to anyone. Munakata has the PDA that shows everyone's forbidden action, so I assume he will be the one to reveal it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

The photo with Chisa claiming she killed the people covered up in the photo was pretty funny. When did Munakata get that again? I think Chisa had the pictures on her, and he got them when he stabbed her, but I'm not really sure. I guess it confirms that Chisa remained a Despair until she died at the start, and didn't get fixed from her brainwashing/lobotomy.

Either Chisa gave those to him at some point previously as a plot to push him into despair or Chisa left them for him after she died (which would requirea rewatch of he first and second episodes)

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Somehow managed to get Chiaki Nanami from the test. Not exactly what I expected.

Chisa's "IT WAS ME <3" was a thing of beauty. Maybe we'll see more of Despair Chisa in the Despair Arc. :kimchi:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
That photo thing actually reminded me of DRZero where in her childhood Junko spent like a long time building a sand castle and then she and Matsuda find that someone destroyed it and Junko cries because of all the hard work she wasted on it but then she tells Matsuda that she was the one that did that because despair.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't know what to make of this episode. It has some important character development but as others have mentioned I can't see a way for the show to end in a satisfactory manner. There are still so many loose ends to tie up in only two episodes: The mastermind, the motivation, the surviving DR2 cast, if Byakuya is dead or not, etc.

Unless their plan is to unveil Danganronpa 3-2 as a sequel series where stuff actually gets resolved in full.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

voltcatfish posted:

Pretty much dead on.

It was nice to see Makoto be pretty resourceful, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 12, 2016

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

FPzero posted:

I don't know what to make of this episode. It has some important character development but as others have mentioned I can't see a way for the show to end in a satisfactory manner. There are still so many loose ends to tie up in only two episodes: The mastermind, the motivation, the surviving DR2 cast, if Byakuya is dead or not, etc.

Unless their plan is to unveil Danganronpa 3-2 as a sequel series where stuff actually gets resolved in full.

It's still possible that the "special episode" (which is supposedly set to air in place of Despair episode 12) will be the conclusion to the series. It might be the 13th episode of the Future arc(or the first and final episode of a grand finale Hope arc).

Plus, I think I can see the direction of the finale from here:

Despair Episode 10: The episode where Class 77 finally falls into despair, and we get to see what happens to Chiaki.

Future Episode 11: The presenting of the evidence, and the reveal of the mastermind. I'm expecting this to end on a huge twist, such as the Class 77 students arriving or Chiaki or Kyoko turning out to be alive.

Despair Episode 11: I'm guessing there will be a skip ahead to the end of the year, and some exposition on the end of Hope's Peak and the founding of the Future Foundation. There will probably be a big twist pertinent to the ending of the Future arc.

Future Episode 12: The final battle against the mastermind, possibly ending with the former Remnants arriving to save the survivors of the Future Foundation.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I thought it was a pretty terrible episode, but I did at least like what Slokir mentioned with Naegi winning with words, and Chisa's final act. The episode managed to make me laugh at how ridiculous it was sometimes, and I'm pretty sure that's not what Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy is trying to make me do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think this show ever knew what it was trying to do.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

what I wanted to see out of this episode: naegi being rad

10/10 would watch again

i have very low standards

Baal posted:

I don't think this show ever knew what it was trying to do.

i think it's more like "this show doesn't have nearly enough time for what it's trying to do"

EDIT: Also murdering a class of children just to play an elaborate prank on her boyfriend is Despair as gently caress, I liked it.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 12, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SPIKE CHUNSOFT UPDATE

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I can't believe Kyoko Kirigiri is (tentatively still) loving dead

I also can't believe Naegi really is hope god

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

naegi is actually da hoop gawd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

I can't believe Kyoko Kirigiri is (tentatively still) loving dead

I also can't believe Naegi really is hope god

i'm glad Naegi is the hero we all need

I like his "I'd still be glad to have met her" line since he's speaking from experience, that's the resolution he comes to in dr1. "What my friends did is unforgivable but I'm still glad to have known them"

that's also an indirect retort to Munakata's early line about how his experience in a "game" doesn't amount to anything, turns out oops it does a whole lot.

man this anime would be really good if it wasn't so bad.

• Locked thread