Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

whydirt posted:

I really want to see proliferate return in Aether Revolt. It's a sweet mechanic and we've never seen it in a +1/+1 counter environment. Synergy with energy counters is just a bonus.

Energy doesn't work with proliferate, right? the counters aren't on a permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Wurzag posted:

I wonder if Ashiok is an aetherborn walker, he doesn't look a million miles apart from these guys

Ashiok has a mouth.

Also,

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Retromancer posted:

Energy doesn't work with proliferate, right? the counters aren't on a permanent.

you can proliferate counters on players

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Retromancer posted:

much like poison counters, they are not on a permanent

also, much like poison counters, they can be proliferated since proliferate says "and/or players"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Retromancer posted:

might wanna re-read proliferate

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

These look cool and all (especially the special frame) but I feel like an Expedition-style printing of a card already available in the set proper sets a really dangerous precedent that I can't describe.
I think it's a good precedent. Bring in the pay to have your cards wear hats model

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Ashiok has a mouth.

Also,

This is a very good combat trick. One of the best ones in a while.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i support the expidition stuff if it means cool old stuff gets reprinted, like mana crypt, in a way where only 1 in every 1000 drafts gets warped by someone opening it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Ashiok has a mouth.

Also,

Close to Vines power level.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Ashiok has a mouth.

Also,

Basically Vines without kicker.

Or the ability to be a Green Counterspell.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Basically Vines without kicker.

Or the ability to be a Green Counterspell.

it's instant, it can be a green counterspell

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it is vastly worse than vines because of the lack of versatility :rip:

that said the primary mode of vines is still pretty good

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

you can't do the funny thing where you target your opponent's ornithopter in response to modular after your opponent sacs ravager though

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I meant in that weird way that Vines can be, where your opponent goes to pump their stuff and you cast Vines to counter it.

You are correct though. That was just the first thought through my head.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Speaking of which, where IS ornithopter in this set?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I meant in that weird way that Vines can be, where your opponent goes to pump their stuff and you cast Vines to counter it.

You are correct though. That was just the first thought through my head.

oh right, i forgot it could do that

also a sorcery that grants hexproof wouldn't be the most worthless card ever but it'd be pretty pointless, now that i think about it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hexproof can't counter your opponent's stuff like Vines sometimes can.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

it's one of the inventions, much like memnite and spellskite will be, made by tezzeret

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

JOHN CENA posted:

It'll be a masterwork.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
No joke I'd be excited about a Masterwork Ornithopter with Da Vinci art.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
At a rate of ~50 a block, how long before Wotc churns through most worthwhile reprints? There's obviously going to be a lot of chaff

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

At a rate of ~50 a block, how long before Wotc churns through most worthwhile reprints? There's obviously going to be a lot of chaff

considering they've already started throwing chaff in, they're clearly cognizant of that fact

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, the idea seems cool but, 100 of them a year?

Quick, name 200 different cards worthy of an expedition-style reprint.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

the gearhulk cycle has already been confirmed to be printed in this set

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Entropic posted:

I could, but about 40ish or so of them are Reserved Listed, soo....

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

fallen empires style alternate art ravenous rats

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the first printing of expeditions had shocklands, which are at least playable, but not expensive to get rtr printings of.

there has always been expedition chaff

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Entropic posted:

The Bulk Vault
- Pale Moon
- Wintermoon Mesa
- Keldon Battlewagon
- Joven

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Rinkles posted:

Why would they only do each card once?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I would not be surprised if we got a lot of playable-but-not-expensive cards as expeditions. Stuff like Elvish Visionary, Ponder, Blighted Agent etc. are cards that would appeal to some number of players just as a way to really bling out their decks.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

off top of head they could easily do tribal expeditions with goblin ringleader/wirewood symbiotic et al, enchantment expeditions with theros gods/necropotence/blood moon, legend expeditions with weatherlight crew and Kamigawa cards, etc. Think about the types of cards that are cheapish but commonly played, that whales will want the most expensive version of

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I, for one, think Wizards is absolutely loving me as a consumer by giving me more cool stuff to open in packs because

Entropic posted:

I think its pretty clear that these aren't going to be nearly as value-laden as Expeditions, which included nothing but Modern staples to begin with. I'd be very happy with a shiny Hangarback for an EDH deck :shrug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you open packs lmbo

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

I would not be surprised if we got a lot of playable-but-not-expensive cards as expeditions. Stuff like Elvish Visionary, Ponder, Blighted Agent etc. are cards that would appeal to some number of players just as a way to really bling out their decks.

I expect some of this, and a LOT of EDH cards. EDH players love their bling and are a huge hidden casual market. People playing modern or whatever bitch about prices BUT THEN buy the cards and also typically play draft/standard/etc.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think that the market for the legacy playable cards with some early hard to find foiling shows that certain types really love goofy poo poo, but it's also really annoying trying to get actual cash for some of that goofier poo poo.

theres plenty of stuff they can print in expeditions that people will be more or less happy to have but also you aren't going to be getting fat stacks for either unless you're willing to put in more work than you probably should

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

it is vastly worse than vines because of the lack of versatility :rip:

that said the primary mode of vines is still pretty good

I am thinking that this will see play in infect simply because its going to do more damage than vines does on average. It actually might take up slots from other cards like mutigenic growth and Apostle's Blessing in certain matchups. Good card.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Aether Vial is pretty much guaranteed

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

fallen empires style alternate art ravenous rats

I'd be down for this too, more sweet pauper cards please.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Those are either not very expensive or have been recently reprinted with the possible exception of maybe Bridge?

Vial is 40 bucks and mm1 is not recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

the gearhulk cycle has already been confirmed to be printed in this set

Some of the Racecars will probably have Expeditions as well.

But expeditions have nothing to do do with needed reprints. It increases the lottery ticket aspect of magic. Especially if most of them can hold value over 30 bucks until Aether Revolt.

• Locked thread