Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

:laffo:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If it makes anyone happy to watch Punk tear up at a presser, that's now available to you due to the magic of the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kd-aMBDyGk

He does pretty much say openly that he was originally intending to train for an amateur MMA fight in a bingo hall somewhere and that it was UFC's idea to put it on international PPV, I think in the end it's hard to be mad at him for it

I think that's the most humble I've ever heard Punk. I mean, you don't much get better than 'I expected to come in at the lowest level, but would have been crazy to turn this down' and 'Mickey was the better man'.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was quite worried he was going to break his ankle the way he was sitting back on it in the choke. Looked nasty.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Brock Lesnar posted:

is there a video of an old dude getting embarrassed so i could compare that to Punk's outing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-BqOsvj00

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
I guess I don't get why he wouldn't be fighting for UFC again? I thought he was under contract for eight fights? And he just looked like a guy who got outmatched, not, like, embarrassed-- in a one-on-one fight, well... someone's gonna lose, right, and it seems like he's getting a lot of props for hanging in there. So why not have him rest up, train harder and at least give it another go later-- is there something UFC-specific I'm missing out here?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They made their money off of him, he's not worth putting in another fight at that level even on the undercard, he can't fight in the amateurs anymore since he's already fought a pro fight, and the UFC isn't about to let any of their competitors cash in on his name value. That's about the size of it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

SirDippingSauce posted:

I guess I don't get why he wouldn't be fighting for UFC again? I thought he was under contract for eight fights? And he just looked like a guy who got outmatched, not, like, embarrassed-- in a one-on-one fight, well... someone's gonna lose, right, and it seems like he's getting a lot of props for hanging in there. So why not have him rest up, train harder and at least give it another go later-- is there something UFC-specific I'm missing out here?

the ufc only just released cody 'hard gay' pfister who would beat the poo poo out of cm punk if punk had another 18 months to train and punk would then be pushing 40. the only reason the fight went ahead in the first place was because it was a curiosity. now we know where he stands and it's not in the ufc unless he goes in through tuf or something, where he will likely lose the get-in-the-house fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SirDippingSauce posted:

is there something UFC-specific I'm missing out here?

Everyone in the UFC is way better than him because he loving sucks. Also, he probably gets paid way more than his (lack of) skill warrants.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

the ufc only just released cody 'hard gay' pfister

better not have, he's the best super generic looking dude ever

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CM Punk got $500,000

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If it makes anyone happy to watch Punk tear up at a presser, that's now available to you due to the magic of the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kd-aMBDyGk

He does pretty much say openly that he was originally intending to train for an amateur MMA fight in a bingo hall somewhere and that it was UFC's idea to put it on international PPV, I think in the end it's hard to be mad at him for it

Good video this

I like humble Punk

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

CM Punk got $500,000

Gall got 15/15. If Punk had missed weight, Gall's pay would've quadrupled.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sprecherscrow posted:

Gall got 15/15. If Punk had missed weight, Gall's pay would've quadrupled.

What does 15/15 mean?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

What does 15/15 mean?

$15k for showing up, $15k for winning.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Couture/Toney in nearly every way

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Luigi Thirty posted:

CM Punk got $500,000

Quite the pay cut.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hes just a guy following a dream

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Luigi Thirty posted:

$15k for showing up, $15k for winning.

Thanks friend

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Luigi Thirty posted:

CM Punk got $500,000

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

SirDippingSauce posted:

And he just looked like a guy who got outmatched, not, like, embarrassed--

ehhhhh

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Bluedeanie posted:

Couture/Toney in nearly every way

Except Toney had business participating in a combat sport.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the solution is not to pay cm punk less, but to pay everyone else more, imo

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

oatgan posted:

the solution is not to pay cm punk less, but to pay everyone else more, imo

The solution is to let Punk fight in other D-league orgs (either under contract or terminate his contract) to amass experience against other guys just turning pro from amateur. There's too much trouble than it's probably worth to try to keep Punk fighting in the UFC after that kind of blow out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
LOOK IN MY EYES
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
A MAN TAP OUT ON P-P-V

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd take a vicious beating for 500k he didn't even embarrass himself

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Skip My Posts posted:

I'd take a vicious beating for 500k he didn't even embarrass himself

That is incorrect.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

1st AD posted:

LOOK IN MY EYES
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
A MAN TAP OUT ON P-P-V

Haha good one bro, where did you come up with this comedy gold

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
CM Punk poo poo his pants all the way to the bank.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
What's a reasonable estimate for what punk spent on training

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Considerably more than $500,000.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheTrend posted:

That is incorrect.

while i'm sure you're a connoisseur of embarrassing things you can trust him that in the matter of real fighting, punk fought.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Punk would get no win bonus, apparently. It was a flat $500k.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Punk would get no win bonus, apparently. It was a flat $500k.

Seems savvy.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
oh yeah, big stars get the flat fee. i highly doubt he spent more than 500k on training, or even close to that

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

The Singing Chav posted:

I would like you to attend my MMA gym, it's opening tomorrow. Bring cash

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A few people I work with not only bought the PPV because CM Punk was on it (they're not typically fight fans) but also had fun talking about how badly he did and how much fun they had watching him lose... so - mission accomplished I guess? I mean it's a small sample size but I was pretty stunned they not only watched the show but also paid for it.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

oh yeah, big stars get the flat fee. i highly doubt he spent more than 500k on training, or even close to that

He said he bought a small house or something near Duke's so him and AJ didn't have to commute as much, but still, how much could a small house in Milwaukee cost? 200? 300 racoon pelts?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When I see The Hardys doing Sam Raimi knockoff videos and Punk getting blasted, it pleases me. At least I know a few wrestledudes from my generation won't end up a coke fueled corpses or get caught looting painpills from their neighbor's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

The Singing Chav posted:

really? how?

• Locked thread