Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Brood posted:

"Oh, this amulet is league specific and Zana can't offer a portal to chance for it? gently caress it, let's vaal it anyway."

Neat.

Brood posted:

I think I should just stop playing today, because I'm probably not going to do much better from this point on.

I wish I could hate you to death

Sab669 posted:

Had one in a group for the first time yesterday, I was pretty disgusted with how strong it was :staredog:

Did you lose your hearing? I grouped up briefly to grab Zana from a kind goon and I'm pretty sure the other 3 people hated my guts for that couple of minutes because of my 4 FB totems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

whypick1 posted:

Did you lose your hearing? I grouped up briefly to grab Zana from a kind goon and I'm pretty sure the other 3 people hated my guts for that couple of minutes because of my 4 FB totems.

Best thing is that 200 ping and laggy game doesn't even matter to you since you just move and summon totems

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Jusupov posted:

Best thing is that 200 ping and laggy game doesn't even matter to you since you just move and summon totems

WHAT'S THAT TOTEM NOT DONE CASTING OH WELL YOU'RE DEAD NOW AND YOUR FLAMEBLAST EXPLODES ANYWAY LOLGOTTAGOFAST

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

theshim posted:

Find a guide that sounds interesting that says newbie friendly or budget and run with it, and get into the ingame guild so you can ask people questions. It's good poo poo.

This is exactly what I did with https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817/page/50 and I'm having a blast despite being pretty bad at this game.

What I'm really struggling with is getting a good 'feel' for what items are worth. I know I've undersold a few things because I'd get a bite within a few minutes of listing it and then get a few more PMs once it's sold. Also can someone explain specifically what made brood's rolls there so amazing? I guess out of all the corruption effects he got some really sweet ones?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Normally I don't like totem builds, but this one might finally give me a reason to roll a templar.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is exactly what I did with https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817/page/50 and I'm having a blast despite being pretty bad at this game.

What I'm really struggling with is getting a good 'feel' for what items are worth. I know I've undersold a few things because I'd get a bite within a few minutes of listing it and then get a few more PMs once it's sold. Also can someone explain specifically what made brood's rolls there so amazing? I guess out of all the corruption effects he got some really sweet ones?

He got a really really good corruption on an item that is league specific (i.e. was an item specific to a previous league) which is not chanceable through Zana mods (Zana lets you pay a fee to have a map "exist" within a select few old leagues) due to the specific league it existed in not being a choice. In other words: $$$$$$$.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also can someone explain specifically what made brood's rolls there so amazing? I guess out of all the corruption effects he got some really sweet ones?

What Firos said with the amulet. As for the quiver, extra arrow = great to HUGE damage boost, depending on your skills. Barrage? Well, another free arrow is great. Tornado Shot? Instead of shooting one arrow that shoots out three arrows (vanilla TShot), you're now shooting out two arrows that shoot out four. That's a tiny big of a damage boost there :v:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Oodles posted:

I've just installed this game. I've looked through this thread. I don't know any of the lingo, or what anyone is talking about.

In a few months I'm sure I'll be down with the kids.
Good choice. Game owns. This is a list of community-sourced builds aimed specifically at new players that should help get you started:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1724042

Otherwise each class sub-forum has a master list of builds that people have come up with, and lots of them will specify whether they're cheap or expensive. I'm using the following build this season:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/528011

Which is based on a skill that teleports you to a monster and then smacks it in the face. It's really good, tons of fun, very cheap, and is viable all the way through the game. I only slightly hesitate to recommend it because it tends to desync the game when you're spamming 5 teleports a second unless you have a super-solid internet connection that lets you use lockstep mode.

edit: which I don't but gently caress it

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 12, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder if my firestorm character (CiaphasSA_FSW) could be adapted to fireblast or if I'm too far gone. Probably the latter, I'm guessing, I still don't know the skill tree well at all or how the two differ in build.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 12, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder if my firestorm character (CiaphasSA_FSW) could be adapted to fireblast or if I'm too far gone. Probably the latter, I'm guessing, I still don't know the skill tree well at all.
Firestorm and Flameblast tend to be very interchangeable in terms of the tree. Looking at your tree quickly, around the only thing that might be a waste is the skill duration nodes, and that's just a couple points to respec.

Try swapping a Flameblast in and see how you like it!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

On top of that, if you've got the respec points to spend I'd go from spell damage to cast speed at the start. You will need to spend the points in cast speed though before you can respec out of the spell damage ones though. Also pick up the Nimbleness cluster for more cast speed and stun prevention.

Oh, and your next Ascendancy absolutely has to be Liege of the Primordial (I probably would've picked that up first tbh). Run Fire and Lightning golems.

If you want to start running Flameblast now swap out Spell Echo (does nothing for channeling skills) for Elemental Focus (no more ignite, but >30% more damage) and Concentrated Effect for Increased Area of Effect (trash dies easily enough without ConcE's damage boost, so kill the most trash in one go; swap in ConcE for bosses though if possible).

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 12, 2016

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

How necessary is Auxium for CI? Is an 'of heat' flask good enough? How good is the Kiara's Determination flask? I'm having some real problems with my resistances in this Whispering Ice build - having none on the staff plus using Astramentis and Doedre's ring is leaving me hard up for them. I'm wondering if switching to a Crystal Belt for a little extra ES and a lot more resistance might help me out a bit.

I really need to upgrade my gloves and boots, but trying to find high ES plus resistances is obviously $$$$. I'm enjoying this foray in to CI but I understand gearing Life based characters so much better.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

whypick1 posted:

This guy in this one Discord server I'm in supposedly has only played for 6 days and in that time he's chanced a Skyforth's, gotten like 10 Doctor/Fiend drops, and 6 pure ex drops.

theshim
May 1, 2012

MerrMan posted:

How necessary is Auxium for CI? Is an 'of heat' flask good enough? How good is the Kiara's Determination flask? I'm having some real problems with my resistances in this Whispering Ice build - having none on the staff plus using Astramentis and Doedre's ring is leaving me hard up for them. I'm wondering if switching to a Crystal Belt for a little extra ES and a lot more resistance might help me out a bit.

I really need to upgrade my gloves and boots, but trying to find high ES plus resistances is obviously $$$$. I'm enjoying this foray in to CI but I understand gearing Life based characters so much better.
I preferred having Auxium on as opposed to having to reactively deal with freezing, though I wasn't using Doedre's Damning (but I was using Pyre). If you don't mind that, the belt will definitely make capping resistances a lot easier. I was able to get to around 8k ES and capped resistances with Auxium and fairly minimal investment, though that was later in the league when prices had dropped a bunch, I suppose.

And if you think that's $$$$, wait until you try to get decent Int rolls on any of that :signings:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for all the Flameblast suggestions. I'll have to try out the spell tonight before I commit to changing things up via respec, I've only ever seen videos of it being used with totems so I have no idea how it feels to actually play.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Even though you have Paragon of Calamity, watch out for elemental reflect rares. Flameblast + Reflect = one-way ticket to the Self Own Zone

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for all the Flameblast suggestions. I'll have to try out the spell tonight before I commit to changing things up via respec, I've only ever seen videos of it being used with totems so I have no idea how it feels to actually play.
I've taken selfcast Flameblast to maps before and enjoyed it a lot, for whatever that's worth. There's something uniquely wonderful about charging up a full channel and watching everything in it explode instantly, often including bosses :supaburn:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How long does it take to channel a max power Flameblast by the time you hit Merciless? Standing and channeling for two seconds--hell, even one second--doesn't sound all that palatable considering the amount of running around like a loving spanner I had to do yesterday to survive cruel Izaro and Malachai

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

How long does it take to channel a max power Flameblast by the time you hit Merciless? Standing and channeling for two seconds--hell, even one second--doesn't sound all that palatable considering the amount of running around like a loving spanner I had to do yesterday to survive cruel Izaro and Malachai
That's why you want a ton of cast speed on FB builds, though it should be less than a second.

Again, I'd recommend you try it out and see how you feel with it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Righto then, I'll just lazily swap in the gems and see how it feels after work. Guess it won't be perfect since the Flameblast'll be level 1, but what the hell.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 12, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Righto then, I'll just lazily swap in the gems and see how it feels after work. Guess it won't be perfect since the Flameblast'll be level 1, but what the hell.
Go buy one from A3C, it'll at least be somewhat leveled.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

theshim posted:

Go buy one from A3C, it'll at least be somewhat leveled.

I did not know they came leveled in higher difficulties! Great to know.

I might actually leave her as is, and make an Inquisitor to try it totem style if I get genuinely bored of Firestorming everything. Give me a chance to see for myself how the game and builds change with CI involved, too.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Uh, you can buy Flameblast from Clarissa. Should be level 13 or 14.

Also, you don't have to cast to 10 stages on FB every single time for trash. You'll eventually get an idea of just how big of a circle you need (i.e. how many stages) to kill everything in one go.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So I have a cwdt + immortal call + convocation setup. Since I'm not doing any damage, should I not have levelled any of them?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TipsyMcStagger posted:

With a juggernaut leap/sweeper build versus a leap/earthquaker build.. what's really the difference between the two? It seems the leap sweeper is safer just because of knockback?

EQ deals way more dps, and sweep knockback actually is too weak to matter for melee (it's awesome for bows or stuff like ball lightning)

unless you have a hege's, then you can crit sweep the world

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

The Real Foogla posted:

EQ deals way more dps, and sweep knockback actually is too weak to matter for melee (it's awesome for bows or stuff like ball lightning)

unless you have a hege's, then you can crit sweep the world

It seems both skills, sweep and earthquake can be swapped for the exact same build. The only real difference is weapon specialization where you would spec maces for both or staffs for crit or axes for more damage slightly more range.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So I have a cwdt + immortal call + convocation setup. Since I'm not doing any damage, should I not have levelled any of them?

If you want them to proc as soon as a monster so much as looks at you funny then you need to keep CwDT at level 1 and any other active gems at or below player level 38 requirement. CwDT will only cast active skills at or below it's player level requirement and as it levels the damage required to cast it goes up (and the damage penalty decreases, but generally CwDT isn't used for offense). Supports have no level restriction with CwDT (Increased Duration being the obvious choice to support both IC/Conv).

blackteapot
Jan 26, 2006

So google is no help - If I get a poo poo 6 link, can I chain tier 6 or (most likely) 7 essence it to get what I want, will it gently caress with the links/color? Or is it exactly like a chaos and just re-rolls stats?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just stats

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Essence

blackteapot
Jan 26, 2006

Gratzie

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

For Elementalist Flameblast, you could also do what I did and shamelessly steal the top Essence softcore guy's build. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/kiasyd1987/characters

I respeced into it from a much worse tree and it's better in every way. No mana problems, huge damage and very tanky. Getting Rathpith like he has and/or Rumi's would certainly improve your defenses but it seems all you really need is Doryani's Catalyst and any crappy amulet with a "0.2% of fire damage leeched as life" corruption to sustain the Eldritch Battery/Ghost Reaver combo.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Is it possible for a melee skill totem to generate frenzy stacks on itself?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Social Media posted:

For Elementalist Flameblast, you could also do what I did and shamelessly steal the top Essence softcore guy's build. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/kiasyd1987/characters

I respeced into it from a much worse tree and it's better in every way. No mana problems, huge damage and very tanky. Getting Rathpith like he has and/or Rumi's would certainly improve your defenses but it seems all you really need is Doryani's Catalyst and any crappy amulet with a "0.2% of fire damage leeched as life" corruption to sustain the Eldritch Battery/Ghost Reaver combo.

Why does he take Elemental Equilibrium in this? Doesn't that just make his targets have 25% more fire resist after the first one?

Pretty sure I can't afford the orbs of regret to respec to this anyway, just curious.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 13, 2016

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

How does More Melee Damage on Fuill Life work with Blood Magic & Cyclone? I know for most skills blood magic reduces your HP first so you would never get the bonus from being full life, but will cyclone's damage increase after you regen back to 100% hp mid cast? Or is cyclone's damage calculated at the start and remains the same for the entire cast?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ciaphas posted:

Why does he take Elemental Equilibrium in this? Doesn't that just make his targets have 25% more fire resist after the first one?

Pretty sure I can't afford the orbs of regret to respec to this anyway, just curious.

he also takes elemental overload and has the requisite orb of storms + increased crits so for things where it matters he will drop orb first then the fb

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

sushibandit posted:

Is it possible for a melee skill totem to generate frenzy stacks on itself?

No.

quote:

Totems use the player's own skills as though the player had cast them. Therefore, buffs and charges (except Endurance Charges) on the player will apply to totems.[2][3] Totems themselves have a maximum Power Charge and Frenzy Charge limit of zero, because those charges would have no effect on totems themselves.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

How does More Melee Damage on Fuill Life work with Blood Magic & Cyclone? I know for most skills blood magic reduces your HP first so you would never get the bonus from being full life, but will cyclone's damage increase after you regen back to 100% hp mid cast? Or is cyclone's damage calculated at the start and remains the same for the entire cast?

I'm fairly certain it checks on skill use and not again; your HP will never be full at that point. This is a gem from another era of the game, pretend it doesn't exist.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why would you ever use that over melee physical? it looks like they scale the same except the latter doesnt have the dumb requirement (e: ah melee physical has 10% more mana requirement. at least thats something i guess)

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Awesome! posted:

why would you ever use that over melee physical? it looks like they scale the same except the latter doesnt have the dumb requirement

You never would use it over melee physical but you can use both. I'm just trying to figure how much pure physical damage I can actually get with cyclone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Melee Damage on Full Life is actually used this league, as opposed to previous leagues where no one ever touched it.

Ancestor Totems are one of the big meta builds, and as it turns out Ancestor Totems get the bonus while you're on full life, so if you just stand far enough away from enemies you get a massive boost from the gem. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but lots of people are in fact using it.

• Locked thread