Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Ehh, I kind of like how it all turned out actually. The whole point of Otto was that he was convinced he was better than Peter, and he wanted to prove it. Everything he did was to try and out-Spiderman Spiderman. He made better gadgets, he made boatloads of money, he streamlined and increased efficiency across the board... but he was still a terrible Spiderman because he just didn't get being a genuinely good guy. Leaving aside the terrible, terrible attempts at banter, he was too cold, calculating, and off-putting to be as good as Peter.

Which is why it's so important that he's the one who comes to Peter (metaphorically), hat-in-hand (metaphorically), and gives him back control over his body (literally). Look at what Goblin's saying there. That woman is the last good thing Otto has done. Everything else has crumbled. The whole affair is an attempt by Otto to prove he doesn't have to be a supervillain, that he could have been a hero if given the chance, and it fails spectacularly. If Peter came back at that moment, through his own efforts, it would only prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Octavius had no redemption left. By making that choice himself, he saves that woman. Peter may be the one who rescues her, but Otto is the one who saves her. And in a way that nobody will ever know. Knowing full well that by doing so, he's revealing what he did and making himself out to be the bad guy. It's the only time in the entire Superior Spider-Man run where Otto Octavius actually acts like goddamned Spider-Man.

That is why it's so important.

I never looked at it that way, and now that moment is even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Skwirl posted:

I don't think anywhere in America has laws about safely storing weapons.

Some areas do, mostly cities and counties rather than states, but the discussion really belongs in TFR where "funny panels" means the one dude's glow-in-the-dark HYDRA-logo pistol grips.

Unrelated:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
There's something annoying about comments like "Don't say we're not good to you"

That feels a little like they can't just let it be a silly thing, they have to be aware it's a silly thing and make you aware they're doing this silly thing for you.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Since the spock discussion is kind of taking a tangent away from "Funny Panels", I posted a follow-up with more pages in the "Touching/Inspidering(:v:) Panels" thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410145&pagenumber=122#post464164092

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Bravo posted:

Ehh, I kind of like how it all turned out actually. The whole point of Otto was that he was convinced he was better than Peter, and he wanted to prove it. Everything he did was to try and out-Spiderman Spiderman. He made better gadgets, he made boatloads of money, he streamlined and increased efficiency across the board... but he was still a terrible Spiderman because he just didn't get being a genuinely good guy. Leaving aside the terrible, terrible attempts at banter, he was too cold, calculating, and off-putting to be as good as Peter.

Which is why it's so important that he's the one who comes to Peter (metaphorically), hat-in-hand (metaphorically), and gives him back control over his body (literally). Look at what Goblin's saying there. That woman is the last good thing Otto has done. Everything else has crumbled. The whole affair is an attempt by Otto to prove he doesn't have to be a supervillain, that he could have been a hero if given the chance, and it fails spectacularly. If Peter came back at that moment, through his own efforts, it would only prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Octavius had no redemption left. By making that choice himself, he saves that woman. Peter may be the one who rescues her, but Otto is the one who saves her. And in a way that nobody will ever know. Knowing full well that by doing so, he's revealing what he did and making himself out to be the bad guy. It's the only time in the entire Superior Spider-Man run where Otto Octavius actually acts like goddamned Spider-Man.

That is why it's so important.

This was a really good post, and made me reconsider my thinking on the issue. :tipshat:

Skwirl posted:

We've already had one war about "state's rights" let's not have a second.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Onmi posted:

There's something annoying about comments like "Don't say we're not good to you"

That feels a little like they can't just let it be a silly thing, they have to be aware it's a silly thing and make you aware they're doing this silly thing for you.

They used to do stuff like this fairly regularly, like a small caption at the bottom of the page saying "we didn't want to clutter up this great page with dialogue or sound effects". It was pretty unobtrusive, since as a regular Marvel reader, you get used to the editorial asides (like references to previous issues, which I miss) and they're not really part of the narrative flow.

Why the "don't say we're not good to you" thing is a clunker is (1) because it's part of the narration and (2) it feels like a dumb little high-five to the sort of people who cluttered up internet comics commentary for years equating "fun" comics with a bunch of "cool" things all piled on top of each other, the "gently caress yeah, the Punisher riding a shark made of chainsaws".

I like weird and wild stuff in comics a whole, whole lot! But I like it when it's just presented as something that's happening, without the fashionable layer of pandering to the smarks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pastry of the Year posted:

They used to do stuff like this fairly regularly, like a small caption at the bottom of the page saying "we didn't want to clutter up this great page with dialogue or sound effects". It was pretty unobtrusive, since as a regular Marvel reader, you get used to the editorial asides (like references to previous issues, which I miss) and they're not really part of the narrative flow.

I used to love it when they'd goof on the letterers for no good reason.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is half of what set Marvel apart in the Silver Age, along with being (relatively) maturer and more complex. Marvel had personality and really distinguished themselves by connecting to the readers in a way DC never did at the time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Captain Bravo posted:

If Peter came back at that moment, through his own efforts, it would only prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Octavius had no redemption left.

He doesn't, they totally ruined him, now he's some gross old man rapist playing with Peter's dick in the shower and he just needs to be dead forever.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Boogaleeboo posted:

He doesn't, they totally ruined him, now he's some gross old man rapist playing with Peter's dick in the shower and he just needs to be dead forever.

Yeah he had before swapping minds with Peter been planning to kill like 90% of Earth's population (leaving the last 10% alive to remember him as worse than Hitler and Stalin). Kind of hard to get behind a redemption narrative for that guy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah he had before swapping minds with Peter been planning to kill like 90% of Earth's population (leaving the last 10% alive to remember him as worse than Hitler and Stalin). Kind of hard to get behind a redemption narrative for that guy.

Wasn't he dying, and he wanted to screw over everyone else?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The two biggest storylines in Spider-Man's history where they try and get Spider-Man to a different place in terms of attitude and heroics were the Clone Saga and Superior Spider-Man and it's interesting that one tried to get him back to an older version and one ended up with him having his act together and being really successful in life. And both stories went about it by having someone else fill the Spider-Man role for a while.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Red posted:

Wasn't he dying, and he wanted to screw over everyone else?

That doesn't make it OK.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

The two biggest storylines in Spider-Man's history where they try and get Spider-Man to a different place in terms of attitude and heroics were the Clone Saga and Superior Spider-Man and it's interesting that one tried to get him back to an older version and one ended up with him having his act together and being really successful in life. And both stories went about it by having someone else fill the Spider-Man role for a while.

Whatever you think of Slott's writing (:itwaspoo:) he at least had the luxury of not having 30 different people pulling and extending Superior in different contradictory directions out of his control.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Whatever you think of Slott's writing (:itwaspoo:) he at least had the luxury of not having 30 different people pulling and extending Superior in different contradictory directions out of his control.

Yeah, the Clone Saga and the Hobgoblin identity question are both very instructive lessons in why you should not drag out a mystery for too long because whoever started it might not be the same people who resolve it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Yvonmukluk posted:

That doesn't make it OK.

Doesn't matter, because it's a friggin' Spider-Man story. Parker saves everyone, nobody is beyond redemption. That's like the second or third commandment of Spider-Man, you can't just go into a Spider-Man series and say "This guy deserves to die." That's one of the things that Otto fucks up doing.

Right now, you are the surly old man screaming "DO IT!" Do you want to be that old man? Nobody wants to be that old man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But Superior Spider-Man proves that wrong. Otto is never redeemed. he only changes because he is going to lose something important to him and can't succeed on his own. If saving Anna meant murdering Peter again he would have done it in a heartbeat without qualms.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Look man, you can twist it all you want, but I think that 9 out of 10 people would agree that sacrificing your own life to save the life of the woman you love is an altruistic act.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Captain Bravo posted:

Look man, you can twist it all you want, but I think that 9 out of 10 people would agree that sacrificing your own life to save the life of the woman you love is an altruistic act.

Except he didn't really sacrifice his life because he's inside that robot now plotting his revenge.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You would think that this being a Spider-Man story, she would have died (even if only seemingly) and Ock would have learned a lesson like with Peter and Uncle Ben's death.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Lobok posted:

You would think that this being a Spider-Man story, she would have died (even if only seemingly) and Ock would have learned a lesson like with Peter and Uncle Ben's death.

Learning a life lesson implies that you will continue living after the fact. :v:

Also, I think it's kind of a dumb argument to say "His sacrifice doesn't count because he comes back later." This is the friggin' Marvel universe. Nobody stays dead. It's unfair to judge a work by the retcons that come after it.

Edit: Nobody

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 12, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Being altruistic doesn't make it redemptive.

The difference is that Peter Parker would have given up his life to save a stranger. Otto would have not given the smallest poo poo if it wasn't the woman he loved and also wouldn't have considered anything he did wrong if he hadn't been forced into a very specific situation where she couldn't be rescued.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's not really fair to Otto to say he's not redeemed because he doesn't become Peter Parker. I think you're meant to grade on a curve. That he could even consider self-sacrifice is the improvement.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SonicRulez posted:

It's not really fair to Otto to say he's not redeemed because he doesn't become Peter Parker.

Even if the whole story is about him supposedly trying to become better than Peter?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Being altruistic doesn't make it redemptive.

The difference is that Peter Parker would have given up his life to save a stranger. Otto would have not given the smallest poo poo if it wasn't the woman he loved and also wouldn't have considered anything he did wrong if he hadn't been forced into a very specific situation where she couldn't be rescued.

Uhh yeah the story is that an extremely selfish man did one selfless thing?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Uhh yeah the story is that an extremely selfish man did one selfless thing?

It worked for Darth Vader.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Captain Bravo posted:

Learning a life lesson implies that you will continue living after the fact. :v:

Also, I think it's kind of a dumb argument to say "His sacrifice doesn't count because he comes back later." This is the friggin' Marvel universe. Nobody stays dead. It's unfair to judge a work by the retcons that come after it.

Edit: Nobody

Oh I know. I'm not saying Ock didn't show some growth. I'm just pointing out that he's far from dead.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lobok posted:

Even if the whole story is about him supposedly trying to become better than Peter?

The whole point is that he fails to be a better Peter Parker than Peter Parker, but in the end learns to be a slightly better Otto Octavius.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

The whole point is that he fails to be a better Peter Parker than Peter Parker, but in the end learns to be a slightly better Otto Octavius.

Right, but for a character trying to be Spider-Man and for such a long story, ending up only slightly better feels weak.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lobok posted:

Right, but for a character trying to be Spider-Man and for such a long story, ending up only slightly better feels weak.

It's a glimmer of hope, which I find way more poignant than some huge, flashy reversal. It's showing that he had the potential to actually grow and be better, but he only realized it moments before his death, so that potential will remain forever unfulfilled.

Except that, of course, he'll be back and revert to a cackling villain because that's the nature of the medium, but there's nothing we can do about that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

It's a glimmer of hope, which I find way more poignant than some huge, flashy reversal. It's showing that he had the potential to actually grow and be better, but he only realized it moments before his death, so that potential will remain forever unfulfilled.

Except that, of course, he'll be back and revert to a cackling villain because that's the nature of the medium, but there's nothing we can do about that.

Dude was brain damaged in his very first issue. He could use less metaphysical brain swapping and more psych meds.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I can't be the only one seeing the ironic parallels between this argument and the panels with Spock and the gun up above, right?

Also sidebar, did they ever do any fallout for Pete, what with having him execute a man in cold blood in front of a crowd of witnesses? I can't imagine the police were too thrilled about that one...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Choco1980 posted:

I can't be the only one seeing the ironic parallels between this argument and the panels with Spock and the gun up above, right?

Also sidebar, did they ever do any fallout for Pete, what with having him execute a man in cold blood in front of a crowd of witnesses? I can't imagine the police were too thrilled about that one...

No the parallels are strong but I don't think any of us, or Peter, are advocating for Ock's death/ murder.

As for the fallout IIRC witnesses included civilians and police who protected Spider-Man. Cops in particular were all like "oh I happened to have my back turned, didn't see nothing!"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

If I remember correctly, by the end of the series Spider-Man's name is basically trashed completely. He's blamed for everything by the people who don't know about Peter Parker, and the people that do know are told about the Doc Ock thing so Pete's kind of given a little leeway. Otto had associated the parker name with Spider-Man through Parker Industries, but Peter made a public declaration after he came back that Parker Industries would not be working with Spider-Man anymore after the goblin incident.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They then immediately go back to publicly making stuff for Spider-Man.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I for one am in the crowd that think Otto made the right choice in recognizing he needed to turn things back over to Peter, regardless of the outcome of things.

I don't know the source.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I just wanna think it's Hal being a dick to Aquaman. Or being as dumb as Guacamole.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I for one am in the crowd that think Otto made the right choice in recognizing he needed to turn things back over to Peter, regardless of the outcome of things.

I don't know the source.

No umbrella for Batmang?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't know the source.

The best part is that he made an umbrella for Aquaman but neglected to make Batman one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just wanna think it's Hal being a dick to Aquaman. Or being as dumb as Guacamole.

prefect posted:

No umbrella for Batmang?

Green Lanterns have a long and proud history of being butts to Bats.