Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will have the better offseason?
This poll is closed.
Montreal 19 14.29%
Edmonton 65 48.87%
Vancouver 49 36.84%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel bad for ANYBODY who gets hyped as the next Gretzky. What a bunch of bullshit.

Remember Angelo Esposito?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

That and Shattuck has a pretty good rep as a hockey school.

Yeah Shattuck is fantastic. I got to see them when they came down to my high school a few times and goddamn they were impressive.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Yeah Shattuck is fantastic. I got to see them when they came down to my high school a few times and goddamn they were impressive.

Zach Parise played there too, although I don't think he played the same years Crosby did. Too bad. Parise was always my dream winger for Crosby since he's basically Sid without the vision.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Chuck Klosterman has a book called "I wear the black hat" and it talks a lot about cheering against successful people. I like him so I would recommend it but if he isn't your cup of Ovaltine, then there you go.

I used to coach grade school basketball when I was in High School because we didn't have hockey and I loved BBall back then. There was a little 4th grader who wasn't very good and never really got the ball. Then he got a lot bigger and better and all of a sudden he was being scouted by colleges while he was in Jr High. This was big news for a little town in South Dakota. Almost immediately the hate started pouring in - from everywhere. He wasn't really that good, he was soft, he was white - you name it. To this day my brother in law (who played high school basketball for a town of about 200 people. The town, not the school) still claims he could have guarded Mike Miller when he was in high school. Yeah - I'm related to Uncle Rico by marriage. And no, I'm not claiming any credit for his success...in 4th grade he was just another kid.

Anyway it sucks that people can't be more supportive when a talent like Crosby comes along. I can't understand why he would ever go back to his home town at all, much less take the Cup and do all those great things he does with it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We had Gary and Ryan Suter, J-M Liles, Barry Richter, and Blake Geoffrion :frogc00l:

E: And Hal Holbrook because gently caress yeah Hal Holbrook

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

We laugh at guys like Luca Sbisa but even he was at some point in his life the best player on the ice by far compared to the other kids he played with.

Yeah, if you want a good example of that type any current NHLer's name into eliteprospects.com's database. They have pretty good records of players stats going back to around their 13-14 year old seasons in AAA and they are pretty much without fail the best players on their team.

Ginette Reno posted:

Zach Parise played there too, although I don't think he played the same years Crosby did. Too bad. Parise was always my dream winger for Crosby since he's basically Sid without the vision.

MacKinnon and a few others as well. They have a great reputation as a hockey program, plus it's a boarding school for those higher level midget players who need a better level of competition than can be found in their hometown.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Mind_Taker posted:

Guys don't make me feel bad for Sidney Crosby.

Did the same poo poo happen to MacKinnon, too? Or had everyone been roundly shamed by then?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Did the same poo poo happen to MacKinnon, too? Or had everyone been roundly shamed by then?

I imagine most Canadian/American first rounders have stories like that (probably not nearly as bad as Crosby's, but still)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Picturing this is hilarious.

To be fair, you totally deserved it I'm sure.

I was eating a fine bowl of chili, he probably wanted some. gently caress you kid, this is mine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I imagine most Canadian/American first rounders have stories like that (probably not nearly as bad as Crosby's, but still)

Yeah there's no way that's exclusive to Crosby. Parents will call out kids who have no prayer of playing beyond high school, never mind those with legit chances to make the big leagues.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The varsity football coach in my town knocked up the town bicycle (she'd had like 5 kids from 4 men). When he realized she was having twins, he was disappointed in and wanted nothing to do with the daughter because she'd never play football.

A family friend of ours had a nephew with a football-crazed dad who wanted desperately for him to be a starting high school QB. There are seven school districts covering my town of a little under 30,000; on the fifth try, he got his wish. All this is in a period of about two years, mind you.

I forget which network had the reality show about football/sports parents but gently caress them for encouraging these phallically challenged mutants to find another gear in their insanity. I think another network did it with karting parents. One of my best friends in high school was highly touted as a tennis player, even transferring to a completely different town Sophomore year to position himself for greatness. Fortunately for him, I don't think his parents were up his rear end about his success, though he did eventually play Division I college tennis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like... go-karts? Go-Kart parents are a thing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Karting is one route get into professional racing. Prove yourself there and they might give you a seat in a full size race car.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They are absolutely a thing. I used to live right next door to a quarter-midget race track (tiny rear end karts with barely enough fuel to go 50 yards) at a rec center and holy poo poo some of the parents were.... something else. We're talking kids that weren't even 10 years old.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In hockey (and soccer) at least if you're still at home at age 16 you're probably not going to be a pro player. The parents all up in arms about high school hockey are obsessive over the top about mostly third rate players.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I do the same thing to my 8 year old when he plays Call of Duty because he'll never be a goddamn Team Member if he can't even get a loving Lightning Strike scorestreak. COME ON AIDEN YOU PIECE OF poo poo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aphrodite posted:

http://www.worldkarting.com/

There's a huge event in the infield of Daytona International Speedway around New Year's called Kart Week, where people ranging from amateurs to nostalgic professionals race each other in different classes of karts.

Many of the drivers who have made it to the IndyCar Series (and even a few in F1, if I remember right) over the years started in go-karting. Danica Patrick and Sam Hornish, Jr. had been racing each other since they were 10 (she recalled a story where they wrecked each other), while Helio Castroneves and Tony Kanaan have been friends since childhood from racing each other in Brazil. Even NASCAR has a driver or two who started in karting- Jamie McMurray is one, and AJ Allmendinger is another (though Dinger was in open wheel first professionally).

Patrick's dad, TJ, is one of the more notable examples of lovely parents in racing. Danica had been groomed by her dad from that age to be a success in racing, right down to public speaking courses. She's been downright awful in most series she's run (I think in part because she's bought into her own hype) but, to her credit, she's a genius when it comes to marketing.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 12, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Many of the drivers who have made it to the IndyCar Series (and even a few in F1, if I remember right) over the years started in go-karting. Danica Patrick and Sam Hornish, Jr. had been racing each other since they were 10, while Helio Castroneves and Tony Kanaan have been friends since childhood from racing each other in Brazil.

Patrick's dad, TJ, is one of the more notable examples of lovely parents in racing. Danica had been groomed by her dad from that age to be marketable, right down to public speaking courses.

Well I guess that explains it, because the only one of those I've heard of (even after your edit) is Danica Patrick and it's not because of her day job.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Derek Stepan also played at Stattuck-St Mary

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Well I guess that explains it, because the only one of those I've heard of (even after your edit) is Danica Patrick and it's not because of her day job.

Michael Schumacher started in karting too and everyone should be familiar with that name.

I don't have their history memorized but I assume almost all F1 drivers first raced in a kart.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Derek Stepan also played at Stattuck-St Mary

And Toews, Okposo, Stafford, Etem, Malone and a whole host of others. It's a boarding school largely centered around its athletic programs and tends to attract he best of the best.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Patrick's dad, TJ, is one of the more notable examples of lovely parents in racing. Danica had been groomed by her dad from that age to be a success in racing, right down to public speaking courses. She's been downright awful in most series she's run (I think in part because she's bought into her own hype) but, to her credit, she's a genius when it comes to marketing.

I've never understood why Walter Gretzky gets so much praise. He basically raised Wayne, Keith and Brent to be hockey robots from the age of 3 and they were regularly outside on their backyard rink getting yelled at by their dad late into the night. If Wayne hadn't turned into the greatest player ever, he'd have just been another nutso father pushing his talented kids too hard.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 12, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel bad for ANYBODY who gets hyped as the next Gretzky. What a bunch of bullshit.

Remember Angelo Esposito?

No?

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Anyone gonna check out this "Ice Guardians" movie?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

He had an exceptional year in his first season in the QMJHL (39-59-98 in 57 games, as a 15-16 year old), started drawing Gretzky comparisons and his other seasons in the Q were good but not great. Got drafted in 2007 by Pittsburgh, but by then his stock had dropped so he went 20th overall instead of first like you might expect somebody drawing those comparisons, struggled like hell in the AHL (38 pts in 124 games for 3 teams), ended up playing in Europe.

ThinkTank posted:

And Toews, Okposo, Stafford, Etem, Malone and a whole host of others. It's a boarding school largely centered around its athletic programs and tends to attract he best of the best.

I've never understood why Walter Gretzky gets so much praise. He basically raised Wayne, Keith and Brent to be hockey robots from the age of 3 and they were regularly outside on their backyard rink getting yelled at by their dad late into the night. If Wayne hadn't turned into the greatest player ever, he'd have just been another nutso father pushing his talented kids too hard.

Yeah, imagine a world where Gretzky basically turns into Todd Marinovich. Yikes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Castroneves is a multi-time Indy 500 winner and IndyCar champion. Hornish has a 500 and 3(?) championships. Kanaan has a title, a bunch of race wins, and ended a Ray Bourque and the Stanley Cup-style drought in the Indy 500 by finally winning in his 13th try a few years ago.

Patrick, by comparison, has one win in her entire racing career, an IndyCar race in which the entire field didn't even show up, has been bad in the top equipment in NASCAR, and only survives because of her ability to pull in sponsors and her very calibrated celebrity. (She wasn't a story during the week leading up to the 2014 Daytona 500 because she didn't win the pole like she did in '13, so a topless selfie magically appeared on the internet, for example. Plus all the pervy GoDaddy ads.)

xzzy posted:

Michael Schumacher started in karting too and everyone should be familiar with that name.

I don't have their history memorized but I assume almost all F1 drivers first raced in a kart.

I think Ayrton Senna, regarded as one of the greatest of all-time in F1, did as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Castroneves is a multi-time Indy 500 winner and IndyCar champion. Hornish has a 500 and 3(?) championships. Kanaan has a title, a bunch of race wins, and ended a Ray Bourque and the Stanley Cup-style drought in the Indy 500 by finally winning in his 13th try a few years ago.

Patrick, by comparison, has one win in her entire racing career, an IndyCar race in which the entire field didn't even show up, has been bad in the top equipment in NASCAR, and only survives because of her ability to pull in sponsors and her very calibrated celebrity. (She wasn't a story during the week leading up to the 2014 Daytona 500 because she didn't win the pole like she did in '13, so a topless selfie magically appeared on the internet, for example. Plus all the pervy GoDaddy ads.)

Sounds like those losers should have signed up with GoDaddy too.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

He had an exceptional year in his first season in the QMJHL (39-59-98 in 57 games, as a 15-16 year old), started drawing Gretzky comparisons and his other seasons in the Q were good but not great. Got drafted in 2007 by Pittsburgh, but by then his stock had dropped so he went 20th overall instead of first like you might expect somebody drawing those comparisons, struggled like hell in the AHL (38 pts in 124 games for 3 teams), ended up playing in Europe.

He was traded to Atlanta as part of the Hossa deal for Pittsburgh back in the day when he still had some value, but then he destroyed his ACL a couple of times which greatly contributed to his struggles. That said, he was never going to be great even without the bum knees.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Esposito played with Radulov when Angelo was 16 and Rad was the clear best player in the CHL and his numbers were inflated because of that. Also his knees exploded. When he got drafted there was a lot of moaning that he shouldn't have fallen and the Penguins got another big young star to add to the collection.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Boy did you kill that joke

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Esposito played with Radulov when Angelo was 16 and Rad was the clear best player in the CHL and his numbers were inflated because of that. Also his knees exploded. When he got drafted there was a lot of moaning that he shouldn't have fallen and the Penguins got another big young star to add to the collection.

Eh, some people thought that but a lot of people thought he probably wasn't going to pan out. Partly cuz of the Radulov deal and partly because people felt he had some big holes in his game and it wouldn't translate

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

pretty funny in restrospect since almost every other player in the first round ended up being better than him, except maybe the kid that died

even the lowly Zach Hamill, one of many draft misses for the Boston Bruins, managed to get a few assists in the NHL

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

goddamnit you guys had a chat about bad youth hockey parents and I was busy

because as a ref I've actually had to call police to give me protection from dads, they've been that bad

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
These crazy parent stories rule. Maybe they could sustain their own thread, and bring in people who post about other sports.

Just a thought.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hand Knit posted:

These crazy parent stories rule. Maybe they could sustain their own thread, and bring in people who post about other sports.

Just a thought.

Would bring in all sorts of goons outside SAS if it was started in Ask/Tell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

* Weighed 750 pounds
* Parents were both Matt Cooke (long story)
* Wore a bath robe to practice every day
* Had the word "euro" instead of a mouth

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

xzzy posted:

An F1 car is really nothing more than a large go kart with billions of dollars in R&D put into it and also you'll probably die if you crash.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Infidel Castro posted:

An F1 car is really nothing more than a large go kart with billions of dollars in R&D put into it and also you'll probably die if you crash.

An untrained driver can't even get an F1 car moving fast enough to make use of its aerodynamic features.

They have the same problem as NHL players, everyone's a critic when it's on TV and think it's so easy to be a pro and they're all idiots making way more money than they're worth.

Every hockey fan should spend at least 6 months trying to play the game. It will rock your world. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You push the pedal down and that makes the go fast juice flow into the speederator.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Just a thought.

On it, chief :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Yeah, imagine a world where Gretzky basically turns into Todd Marinovich. Yikes.

His family has a p good grocery store chain

• Locked thread