Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Mainly the arguments seem largely to depend on who you ask so I chose not to engage. I personally "trust" copper more, it tends to be either working or not with no middle ground vs plastic components which can be hard to tell if it's done wrong/cheaply out of the gate. The fewer fittings on PEX is compelling. Copper is antimicrobial which is cool. My gut feeling is we're less likely to find out copper pipes with unleaded solder causes cancer later on in life.

It added around $1000 iirc, my total bill out the door with patched walls was $8,350 cash. 1 bathroom, kitchen, laundry, service to the street, water heater pressure relief to the side of the house, and some misc work tying into the irrigation with a new shutoff.

just out of curiosity was your whole issue that you couldn't flush the toilet without robbing hot water from the shower? It just seems extreme to literally replace all piping to the meter because you needed a regulator. Also what about CPVC? It's even cheaper than pex and is solvent welded together.

I guess I am wondering who told you that you needed to replace the entirety of your water system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PromethiumX posted:

just out of curiosity was your whole issue that you couldn't flush the toilet without robbing hot water from the shower? It just seems extreme to literally replace all piping to the meter because you needed a regulator. Also what about CPVC? It's even cheaper than pex and is solvent welded together.

I guess I am wondering who told you that you needed to replace the entirety of your water system.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lifespan+of+galvanized+pipes : 2016 - 1946 = 70.

I should have stuck with superstition. There were many other problems with our plumbing than just needing a regulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1slibJ52yoc

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

They arrived and are excellent. Only one set is displayed in the box and the rest is securely packaged underneath just so you don't think you've been ripped off!

Indeed, two days shipping from the UK to Canada, not bad at all !

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Clear Otterbox Symmetry for my new phone

The Evil Dead trilogy on VHS

Possibly the best sticker I've ever seen

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Sep 11, 2016

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I bought a Rain-X windshield repair kit to fix a rock peck in my windshield. I also bought some random nuts and bolts for a project.

Oh and I preordered a 256gb matte black iPhone 7+

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Oh and I preordered a 256gb matte black iPhone 7+

Gotta be the first one to eat that turd

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is collecting VHS tapes becoming a thing?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Rolo posted:

It seems like it might be sadly

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rolo posted:

My old roommate did this and would only watch them on his tiny CRT instead of the big flat screen in the livingroom. He was a good dude but was sometimes too hipster for his own good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rolo posted:

I know there are people who collect stuff that's not available on DVD/BR.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I know there are people who collect stuff that's not available on DVD/BR.

You can pry my Hot Stuff VHS starring Dom DeLuise from my cold, dead hands.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Rolo posted:

There's an art festival's permanent space (with a bar and gallery plus event space) near my old apartment that hosts weekly VHS viewing nights in their previously semi-abandoned concrete warehouse, next to the room with their record collection.

I'm pretty sure peak VHS collecting is already upon us.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was buying movies on VHS before half of you were alive. But Betamax was the better format.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Guess I'm gonna start collecting laserdiscs. gently caress tapes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rolo posted:

I know at least 3 laserdisc collectors. There is some cool stuff out there.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Laserdiscs are dope but the problem is it's too drat expensive. Where are you gonna find a laserdisc player, let alone the discs themselves?

On the other hand, a guy I work with wants to dump 6+ boxes of VHS on me, he seems more happy to be rid of it than I am to be getting them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Rolo posted:

Same thing applies. I have Song of the South on a Japanese laserdisc. That movie will never be officially released in the US.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Same thing applies. I have Song of the South on a Japanese laserdisc. That movie will never be officially released in the US.

One of the collectors I know got started specifically because of that laserdisc.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

Laserdiscs are dope but the problem is it's too drat expensive. Where are you gonna find a laserdisc player, let alone the discs themselves?

They are all over the place in Japan. It's bizarro.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

TheMadMilkman posted:

One of the collectors I know got started specifically because of that laserdisc.

That and the unmolested original Star Wars Trilogy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Kingdom posted:

That and the unmolested original Star Wars Trilogy.

I have two boxed copies of those on VHS but no player. It's like a movie chastity belt.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Rolo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMnXZP5x-UU&t=188s

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun

Charcuterie sampler:

Finochiona (fennel pollen salami)
Nostrano (pink peppercorn salami)
Salame di Manzo (Waygu beef salami)
Cacciatorini Piccante (spicy hunters sausage)
Nduja (spicy spreadable salami)

Gunna stick dat meat in my mouf!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nduja is so gross. It's like a greasy meat spread. The other stuff looks great though.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PCOS Bill posted:

A set of these in the size my bike requires. Pirelli Angel GT. Coincidentally also from Revzilla

Bought another one of these rears, only managed around 8k miles out of it :( Front looks like it should be fine at least until closer to winter. Probably should have just bought both and put the new front tire in the garage, but meh.

Debating whether I want to A) Hit Harbor Freight tomorrow and spend ~$80 on the tools to do my own tire changes and be set for life or spend ~$30 to pay someone else to swap the rubber for me yet again and buy the "good" tools later. I'm sincerely thinking of buying a proper tire machine and balancer for ~$2k for my garage in the spring if my wife doesn't veto the idea, so I'll probably just go have my usual guy do the tire mounting again.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Didn't buy it to be a quirky hipster. Need to test 8 track tapes before selling.

It's kind of cool because it's a boombox, takes batteries, has a handle.

But the back half of it is a detachable speaker, and there's a compartment hiding a very long power cable.

And the thing actually works. As the seller at the swap meet was bagging it, some other dude tried to offer more money and steal the sale, but the seller was cool and didn't take his offer.

Legend has it that Never Mind The Bollocks was released on 8 Track.

and

You'd think a bio about Steve-o would be retarded, and just about Jackass stuff. He's had crazy life outside of Jackass.
Rave reviews on Amazon. He revealed a lot of stuff on the Joe Rogan podcast, which sold me sold on the book.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
An awesome old tape deck.

It's built like a tank, but the insides also look like they've been through a war. Going to need a full teardown and rebuild to deal with 40 years of solidified grease, slack rubber belts and assorted dust and crap on the inside.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

This weekend I discovered that often ownership of stuff doesn't make me happy and the pleasure of the purchase alone is the reason my house is full of stuff.

While cleaning up and doing away with a lot, I have found that some stuff does add value to my life but only if I use it near daily.

Looking forward to buying less and having more time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PCOS Bill posted:

Debating whether I want to A) Hit Harbor Freight tomorrow and spend ~$80 on the tools to do my own tire changes and be set for life

First time I've seen buying Harbor Freight tools described as being "set for life."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

First time I've seen buying Harbor Freight tools described as being "set for life."

Perhaps he's factoring in the untimely demise?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

If he buys a Harbor Freight car jack, the tools will definitely last until the end of his life.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

DrBouvenstein posted:

HF sells some stuff that is quality and lasts. Wasn't always that way, but they've improved.

flosofl posted:

If he buys a Harbor Freight car jack, the tools will definitely last until the end of his life.

Incidentally, my HF floor jack is the best jack I've owned and it's going strong for four years now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DrBouvenstein posted:

All I'd be buying is a bead breaker, some tire irons, and maybe the motorcycle wheel clamp. Nothing that really "wears out", unless I bend a tire iron or something.

H110Hawk posted:

I would be buying it to use for my motorcycle tires, after all...

flosofl posted:

Hah, no, my floor jack is going on 15 years old and was bought for a lowered car I had years ago so I spent big bucks on it to get something that wouldn't damage anything with low clearance. It will probably outlive me (Which shouldn't be too hard.) Only issue it has is it doesn't have the range to use with my Jeep without a wood block, but I can live with that. I keep the same block of wood handy for when I need it and it's just a little inconvenience of balancing the wood block until I get the jack in place and lifted a few inches to set it rigid.

TotalLossBrain posted:

HF sells some stuff that is quality and lasts. Wasn't always that way, but they've improved.

Yeah, I have a bunch of stuff from the last couple years from Harbor Freight and it's all good stuff. You have to shop smart, always check reviews on the website, sometimes you need to add an extra washer or two to things that you have to put together just for a little extra rigidity, but their old reputation for being crap is outdated.

Anyhow, went to CycleGear today since they were the only place that could fit me in for a tire change today and I really needed it since I opted to not go to HF for the tools to do it myself, and ended up picking up a new pair of gloves

Alpinestars SP2. Very nice. (Very expensive.) But lifetime guarantee from CG so eh, I can deal with it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

TotalLossBrain posted:

Incidentally, my HF floor jack is the best jack I've owned and it's going strong for four years now.

I've had one since 2004 with zero issues. It's been left in the rain, it's sun-bleached to a light tangerine, but it still works well.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

ChocNitty posted:

You'd think a bio about Steve-o would be retarded, and just about Jackass stuff. He's had crazy life outside of Jackass.
Rave reviews on Amazon. He revealed a lot of stuff on the Joe Rogan podcast, which sold me sold on the book.

The picture link is busted but I'm assuming it's Professional Idiot. I just read that a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. :)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Keetron posted:

This weekend I discovered that often ownership of stuff doesn't make me happy and the pleasure of the purchase alone is the reason my house is full of stuff.

While cleaning up and doing away with a lot, I have found that some stuff does add value to my life but only if I use it near daily.

Looking forward to buying less and having more time.

This is true. Getting rid of stuff feels even better than getting stuff now. Getting rid of stuff and getting money for it in return is almost orgasmic.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

evobatman posted:

This is true. Getting rid of stuff feels even better than getting stuff now. Getting rid of stuff and getting money for it in return is almost orgasmic.

I donated a bass guitar that I don't have much use for lately to a local music school and god dammit I don't know what feels better, the fact that I'm helping kids learn or the fact that it's stopped taking up space in my apartment.

CONTENT:

I bought some more impractical nonlethal weaponry for sporting purposes, because they malfunction and break all the time and it's good to have extras. It's going to look like this, pretty much:

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Sep 12, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

strangemusic posted:

I donated a bass guitar that I don't have much use for lately to a local music school and god dammit I don't know what feels better, the fact that I'm helping kids learn or the fact that it's stopped taking up space in my apartment.

CONTENT:

I bought some more impractical nonlethal weaponry for sporting purposes, because they malfunction and break all the time and it's good to have extras. It's going to look like this, pretty much:

Fencing: A sport where nobody has ever, ever died, according to goon "strangemusic"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
cool sword

edit: katana, sorry

For real though, what does that cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

cool sword

edit: katana, sorry

For real though, what does that cost?

Google image search says its 70 euros.

http://www.uhlmann-fechtsport.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p180261_epee-el--french-standard--sm--coloured.html