Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

chitoryu12 posted:

14.5mm anti-tank rifles could penetrate the sides of Panthers at the right range, so I wouldn't be surprised if a close range spray from a 20mm autocannon hosed up a tank.

This was in 1940 and would have been a pzkw II or maybe I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

14.5mm anti-tank rifles could penetrate the sides of Panthers at the right range, so I wouldn't be surprised if a close range spray from a 20mm autocannon hosed up a tank.

20 mm autocannons were very valid anti tank weapons, especially in an era where the vast majority of tanks were only reliably protected against .50 cal bullets, if that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

What was those huge rear end crossbows on wheels called? Ballistae? Where they ever any succesful?

Ballistae are not... really crossbows I would say. I mean they can be built like them but they also sometimes just have two spring loaded arms (like a pair of catapults tied together) and they generally throw rocks or tree trunks or something stupid like that using a track for accuracy, they're essentially a more accurate form of catapult designed for demolishing large objects like walls, buildings, and siege equipment. They work fine as far as I know, they're just not generally fielded in battle because they're huge and slow.

Possibly you might be thinking of the antipersonnel variant which would be a Scorpio as used by rome which I think would tend to be more like a big crossbow on a stand though it still uses torsion springs rather than just the inherent springyness of the arms. Supposedly they're pretty awesome though again they are a bit awkward to lug about all over the place, they'd be used more like a cannon battery would be in later millenia. Or given the rate of fire, probably more like a gatling gun.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 12, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

Tias posted:

This was in 1940 and would have been a pzkw II or maybe I.

Or an armoured car.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the idea about crossbows was that using a windlass (or just both arms) and a shorter quarrel would allow you to fire things much harder than a bow, a bow being limited by the strength of the bow-arm of the user and the compressive strength of the arrow as to not fracture in flight.

Whereas a short, heavy quarrel in a cranked crossbow could be murderously powerful, and fielded en-masse.

The old crossbows have horrible efficiency due to the short powerstroke, heavy limbs and heavy string.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nenonen posted:

Or an armoured car.

Open truck filled with old pots and pans.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly you might be thinking of the antipersonnel variant which would be a Scorpio as used by rome which I think would tend to be more like a big crossbow on a stand though it still uses torsion springs rather than just the inherent springyness of the arms. Supposedly they're pretty awesome though again they are a bit awkward to lug about all over the place, they'd be used more like a cannon battery would be in later millenia. Or given the rate of fire, probably more like a gatling gun.

Thanks to their accuracy and range they also found effective use providing cover for river crossings, and sniping defenders during sieges.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TerminalSaint posted:

Thanks to their accuracy and range they also found effective use providing cover for river crossings, and sniping defenders during sieges.

They also used them like Owl said, in massed batteries so they could rain big heavy arrows down on formations. It really does not help morale to see your buddies getting shot through their shield from so far away you cannot return fire.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

The Italian inventory is expanded to the 76mm to 90mm range. Today's projectiles are used in such guns as the 77/28mm Field Gun, otherwise known as the 8 cm Feldkanone M 05, the 76/40 and 76/45 guns are both WW1 guns and very out-dated by World War 2. The 90mm projectiles were used with the 90/50 naval guns which were advanced, but too advanced for the time. The projectile had great qualities to it, which is why the guns were modified into a ground role as the Italian 90/53 Anti-Tank/Anti-Air gun. It had a similar history to the German 88, where it was used against aircraft before being used in an improvised Anti-Tank role where it excelled.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JaucheCharly posted:

I'm a bit out of the loop, but Mark Stretton did some testing

http://markstretton.blogspot.co.at/

Last time that I spent some more concentration reading it, I found it somewhat lacking, but generally setting up valid tests is extemely complex.

Hey, that's pretty interesting, thanks for the link. Though one mostly unrelated thing stood out to me:

quote:

The formula for measuring the Kinetic energy of a projectile is Mass (gn) x speed squared (f.p.s) all divided by 450240 = Ft/lbs energy, and this is the one that I have used in my calculations.
The constant of 450240 is internationally recognised as being the number which converts Grains to Pounds, and it also compensates for the effect of gravity on the Mass used in the calculation.

:gonk: Christ, I can't imagine doing these kinds of calculations in imperial measurements on the reg.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation

cheerfullydrab posted:

Open truck filled with old pots and pans.

More likely a horse drawn field kitchen.

God, this is turning into a Radio Yerevan joke...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Page 77 here. What is the one MilHist thing I should see while in Warsaw? Maybe two, but I probably won't have time for two.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nenonen posted:

More likely a horse drawn field kitchen.

God, this is turning into a Radio Yerevan joke...

Stories grow bigger in the telling, it's a universal human truth.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

Stories grow bigger in the telling, it's a universal human truth.

Bernard Adams, 1915:

quote:

I listened agape to hear myself the hero of a humorous story. When the mine went up, I had come out of my dug-out rather late and asked if anything had happened. This tale became elaborated: I was putting my gloves on calmly, it seems, as I strolled out casually and asked if anyone had heard a rather loud noise! And so stories crystallized, a word altered here and there for effect, but true, and as past history quite interesting.

Michael Green, 1960s:

quote:

Beaver's remarks about VE night in Cairo started a spate of reminiscence. We all knew each other's wartime stories, of course, and waited politely for each to finish before dashing in with our own. The formula on these occasions is to say, as the laughter for the previous story dies down, 'I don't know whether I told you about the time I was stationed in North Wales....' and everyone else, who has heard the story at least twenty times before, politely mutters, 'No, no,' and then the speaker launches into a tissue of lies based on some long-forgotten original incident. Hearing these stories every year, it was interesting to see how they grew under intense competition from everyone.

When we first went sailing, Arthur used to tell us stories in which he drove a ration truck. But, as the war receded more and more into the past, his truck got nearer and nearer the front-line and finally changed itself into an armoured reconnaissance vehicle. However, by this time Dennis's depot ship was sinking destroyers, and Harry apparently belonged to the only anti-aircraft unit that fought in front of the infantry. It was obvious that I was the only person not exaggerating. Arthur's trump card was his war wound. He had injured his hand when he caught it in the door of a lorry outside a canteen in Farnborough, and it still bore a tiny scar. Now he carefully worked the conversation round to it, massaging his wrist and muttering 'Funny how my hand still hurts after all these years' before seizing his chance and leaping into some huge lie.

I must say, Arthur excelled himself that night. Smoke filled the cabin and we blearily blinked at him as he droned on and on, defying the enemy, cheating his officers and swindling the sergeants. Finally he told the story we had heard a dozen times about how a native tailor sewed different flashes on each shoulder of his tunic and he was arrested by a military policeman on suspicion of being a spy. Only this year Arthur embellished the story by claiming he was waiting to be shot by a firing squad when the mistake was discovered.
"They don't shoot you through the heart, you know," said Arthur. "They aim all over you. Every man aims at a different place. I was right scared, I can tell you."
"Pity they didn't go through with it," muttered Harry wearily as Arthur thundered on.

After that we all went to bed tired but happy, apart from a whiff of sewage from the river.

I love those stories.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Or an armoured car.

Yeah. You ever notice how if a reporter calls an APC or other armored vehicle a tank, milturds lose their minds? Yet we never question when soldiers of the day said "tank." That, or people outright throw fits and call you disrespectful to our veterans if you question how in one soldier's memoirs, he seemed to have the rotten luck to run into more Tiger tanks than were ever on the Western Front. Back on topic, I'm thinking a lot of "tanks" destroyed through extraordinary means were probably things like armored cars, half-tracks, SPGs, etc. Not to disrespect the accomplishment, but I think I could have saved a lot of time as a kid trying to wrap my head around how some soldier took out a "panzer" in a seemingly impossible way.

So I got Hunnicutt's book on light tanks, and as usual I'm stuck re-reading the Sheridan parts. I know every armored vehicle had problems, but the Sheridan's is easily my favorite list to read for pure entertainment value. A few issues over its different versions and lifecycle:

-Engine harmonics resulting in equipment coming loose
-Missile guidance system not working properly depending on the position of the sun relative to the tank.
-Caseless ammunition expanding in humid environments (remember this thing served in Vietnam) and not chambering/getting stuck in the barrel.
-Sheridan gunners having a tell-tale bruised eye from the gunsight recoiling into their face every time the gun fired.
-Early versions of the barrel cleaning system blowing debris from the bore back into the crew compartment
-Test version of the tank flipping over as a result of firing to the side relative to the chassis.

And many more. Though to be fair, damned near every one of the problems like this were fixed and probably helped future development. I just have a soft spot for the little thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness the missile guidance thing is par for the course, early heatseekers really liked to try and commit heliocide.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

In fairness the missile guidance thing is par for the course, early heatseekers really liked to try and commit heliocide.

Yeah, true. It stuck out because once they found a pretty quick fix it started scoring a pretty impressive hit rate in testing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Plan Z posted:

Yeah. You ever notice how if a reporter calls an APC or other armored vehicle a tank, milturds lose their minds? Yet we never question when soldiers of the day said "tank." That, or people outright throw fits and call you disrespectful to our veterans if you question how in one soldier's memoirs, he seemed to have the rotten luck to run into more Tiger tanks than were ever on the Western Front. Back on topic, I'm thinking a lot of "tanks" destroyed through extraordinary means were probably things like armored cars, half-tracks, SPGs, etc. Not to disrespect the accomplishment, but I think I could have saved a lot of time as a kid trying to wrap my head around how some soldier took out a "panzer" in a seemingly impossible way.

My guys are impeccable at pointing out the difference between tanks, SPGs, and armoured cars, but apparently the word "halftrack" didn't gain popularity until after the end of the war, since armoured halftracks are counted as armoured cars and unarmored ones are counted as tractors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, true. It stuck out because once they found a pretty quick fix it started scoring a pretty impressive hit rate in testing.

I'm guessing either change the detector compound or stick contact lenses over the seeker which filter out the solar wavelengths.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ensign Expendable posted:

My guys are impeccable at pointing out the difference between tanks, SPGs, and armoured cars, but apparently the word "halftrack" didn't gain popularity until after the end of the war, since armoured halftracks are counted as armoured cars and unarmored ones are counted as tractors.

I seem to recall someone noting though that in many accounts, every tank is a Panther and every SPG is a Ferdinand?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Speaking of Danish WW2 history, I had to read Number the Stars in elementary school like a lot of people and I'm pretty sure it's casually mentioned that somebody's father or uncle died in the invasion suicide bombing a tank. The lesson to children is: suicide bombing is okay.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Huh; does that mean the "tiger terror" thing didn't really happen on the eastern front? I know the Tiger II was initially mistaken for a Panther, but was identification pretty good after they established there were two long-barrelled sloped-hull vehicles?

Actually, I wonder if those things would be related; maybe one of the reasons so many American soldiers swore they'd saw a Tiger was there were barely any of them around to compare other tanks to...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

Speaking of Danish WW2 history, I had to read Number the Stars in elementary school like a lot of people and I'm pretty sure it's casually mentioned that somebody's father or uncle died in the invasion suicide bombing a tank. The lesson to children is: suicide bombing is okay.

The Chinese "dare to die" units put on bomb vests and suicided against tanks on the reg.

It's not barbarous fanaticism until your enemies start doing it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Fangz posted:

I seem to recall someone noting though that in many accounts, every tank is a Panther and every SPG is a Ferdinand?

And every artillery piece is an 88.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Plan Z posted:

I broadly agree with what you're saying, but it should also be kept in mind that tanks aren't half as invincible as popular culture (or your average milhist loving 10 year old) thinks they are. There are tons of documented cases of crews abandoning vehicles because a bunch of superficial fire and smoke made them think they were about to cook alive, weak points in armor that led to spectacular one in a million kills, etc. Also, most soldiers probably don't really grasp the difference between a mission kill where their sticky bomb or cluster of grenades or whatever fucks up a bogy and everyone leaves, and a actual kill-kill. Doubly so if you're talking Americans, because most of the time the loving thing ends up behind their lines in a couple hours anyways so there really isn't much of a difference.

spectralent posted:

ually, I wonder if those things would be related; maybe one of the reasons so many American soldiers swore they'd saw a Tiger was there were barely any of them around to compare other tanks to...

Any armored vehicle is loving terrifying if you are out there in nothing but your khakis and a pot helmet with maybe, maybe a buddy with a 40s era RPG that requires you to get well inside a hundred yards of it to have any hope of killing it. Your average GI who just stained his shorts another shade of brown because a PzIV hosed his day up thinks that's a tiger because holy poo poo that MUST be the big scary super tank everyone's been talking about.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any armored vehicle is loving terrifying if you are out there in nothing but your khakis and a pot helmet with maybe, maybe a buddy with a 40s era RPG that requires you to get well inside a hundred yards of it to have any hope of killing it. Your average GI who just stained his shorts another shade of brown because a PzIV hosed his day up thinks that's a tiger because holy poo poo that MUST be the big scary super tank everyone's been talking about.

Yeah, my hypothesis here is that the GI's seeing a Pz IV on it's lonesome and going "Tiger!", while the, uh, I don't know the word for soviet troops, but he's there with a Pz IV and a Tiger nearby and going "Okay well the bigger one's probably the Tiger".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Strelki" I think would be "riflemen" but I dunno what the catchall term would be.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I broadly agree with what you're saying, but it should also be kept in mind that tanks aren't half as invincible as popular culture (or your average milhist loving 10 year old) thinks they are. There are tons of documented cases of crews abandoning vehicles because a bunch of superficial fire and smoke made them think they were about to cook alive, weak points in armor that led to spectacular one in a million kills, etc. Also, most soldiers probably don't really grasp the difference between a mission kill where their sticky bomb or cluster of grenades or whatever fucks up a bogy and everyone leaves, and a actual kill-kill. Doubly so if you're talking Americans, because most of the time the loving thing ends up behind their lines in a couple hours anyways so there really isn't much of a difference.

Oh yeah, definitely. Descriptions of "knocked out" could be vague and tanks were more vulnerable to things like fire more than people assume. I'm talking about passages that were more obviously kind of an issue like "Then a panzer moved up, and with a burst of my friend's Tommy, we were able to knock out one of the crew and it pulled back," (loving Stephen Ambrose was the worst about passages like that) probably meant they ran into something like a Marder or another open-topped vehicle, but when I was younger, I was wondering what the hell happened since I just took "panzer" to mean "a Panzer tank, and absolutely nothing else."

spectralent posted:

Yeah, my hypothesis here is that the GI's seeing a Pz IV on it's lonesome and going "Tiger!", while the, uh, I don't know the word for soviet troops, but he's there with a Pz IV and a Tiger nearby and going "Okay well the bigger one's probably the Tiger".

That, and if you're in a tank facing another tank, and you're seeing it from hundreds of meters away and only one or two crewmen have magnified optics, a Panzer IV could easily be a Tiger.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

France was where all the 21. Panzerdivision's weird french SPG/Tank hunter things were, and those were all open topped, so I expect a load of american soldiers disabled "panzers" on foot.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i took Trin Tragula to a museum in dresden today and i would like to say that i was wrong: small portable telescopes date from 1608, which i learned today, and one of the oldest ones in the world is in that museum. so you totally could have been staring downrange with a spyglass in the 30yw.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Perestroika posted:

:gonk: Christ, I can't imagine doing these kinds of calculations in imperial measurements on the reg.
actually, imperial measurements are good

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAL posted:

Not for doing science

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

HEY GAL posted:

This time heygal you've gone too far

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

JcDent posted:

Page 77 here. What is the one MilHist thing I should see while in Warsaw? Maybe two, but I probably won't have time for two.

Warsaw Uprising Museum is most likely your best bet, it's modern, well-stocked, has a nice long guided visit route and tons of WWII gear. It does suffer from being both very specific about one particular event and quite depressing at times.

Otherwise, you should probably try the Polish Army Museum. It's more old-fashioned, but has a wide range of interesting exhibits from pretty much all of Polish history, including an outdoors exhibition of artillery guns and aircraft.

I am fairly sure there are also smaller museums or museum departments with all kinds of tanks and guns and stuff hidden all over the city, but they're like that magical store in The Light Fantastic - you go there once on a school trip and can never find it again, although you swear up and down it should be right there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Plan Z posted:

(loving Stephen Ambrose was the worst about passages like that) probably meant they ran into something like a Marder or another open-topped vehicle, but when I was younger, I was wondering what the hell happened since I just took "panzer" to mean "a Panzer tank, and absolutely nothing else."

Ambrose took veteran accounts way, way, way too on face value. I don't know if that was due to the kind of book he was writing, which was mostly focused on the experiential aspects of it, or if he was just that unquestioning of his sources. I'm inclined to believe the former, as that is some basic poo poo that a loving first year grad student should know better than. Say what you will about him (and hoo boy will I) but he was a trained historian, so I'm inclined to believe that he knew the audience he was writing for and understood that getting into the weeds about the technical details would take away from what he was trying.

On a side note, "what he was trying" can be charitably read as zeroing in on the lived experience of the war as understood by the people who went through it. Uncharitably it could be "grandpa's patriotic bedtime stories."

edit: there is no excuse, however, for how loving lazy he got with the pale excuse for an actual argument that most of his books had.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Also the fog of war, literally and figuratively, would have a major impact on what was perceived. I'm not about to stick my head up or try to get closer to make sure that's really a Tiger. Meanwhile, there's smoke, gunfire, chaos everywhere. Plus the weather could be poor or I could be far away or there could be dense vegetation. If I'm requesting support or reinforcements my situation may be a bit inflated as well

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation

Do you know what they called the American tank destroyers???

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nenonen posted:

Gun motor carriage?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

An open coffin for 8 5 brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
At least a few claimed Panther kills were probably because the transmission shat itself at the same time somebody shot at it and missed. :v: