Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What's currently the best ~8" 16:10 tablet with an AMOLED display? Is there one?

I mean, they exist, but there isn't really a "best" as far as I know. I prefer OLED for mobile displays, and wish it were a more common option.

1) Dell 7840 - great design and feature set, great battery life, great everything, EXCEPT for software support. Stock-ish OS and excellent build quality. It will probably never graduate past OS v5.1 without you resorting to whatever XDA modding people develop. Recently discontinued. I use one of these.

2) Samsung 8.4 whatever - still getting support, but it's a Samsung tablet. If you're used to Samsung's stuff, they're about the only player in town for larger OLED displays anyway.

Those are your options, as far as I know. Both 8.4" and both 2560x1600 AMOLED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's more than 'probably' for the Venue tablet. Dell has publicly disavowed them, they will never see another update.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
best android tablet is the 2013 nexus 7

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Quick, somebody pull that guy who said Nvidia sucks out of his 2011 time warp!!

I would totally buy a new Shield tablet if they announced it today. As it stands now, I'm hoping that new Nexus 7 (or Pixel 7 or whatever they wind up calling it) rumor is true.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Quick, somebody pull that guy who said Nvidia sucks out of his 2011 time warp!!
2014, at least. People forget how much of a turd the SOC in the Nexus 9 was.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

After spending a few weeks with my Shield Tablet, I have to say it's pretty great.

However, it sucks as a gaming tablet when compared to the Shield Portable when you utilize the controller. It's just so more convenient with the Portable since it has the screen attached to the controller. Conversely, the Portable's form factor sucks when you have to use it for something that doesn't require the controller.

I've found myself using my Portable for controller gaming/streaming and the tablet for non-controller gaming and tablety things.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
If they made a new Nexus 9 that was as well sorted as my 2013 Nexus 7 I'd be all over it. I would appreciate the extra bit of space.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I picked up a Tab A 10.1 (2016) and it popped up an error message saying it couldn't validate my files and forced me in to a factory reset. It did it a few times so I exchanged it and the second one was fine for two weeks but the error just popped up again.

Anyone know anything about that error or should I just return it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keyser S0ze posted:

If they made a new Nexus 9 that was as well sorted as my 2013 Nexus 7 I'd be all over it. I would appreciate the extra bit of space.

From my understanding that tablet would be the Pixel C.

edit: The problem with the Pixel C is mainly that Android tablet apps suck. Not a big deal on a Nexus 7 because it's barely bigger than many Android phones.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 12, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

edit: The problem with the Pixel C is mainly that Android tablet apps suck. Not a big deal on a Nexus 7 because it's barely bigger than many Android phones.

I should have said "new Nexus 9 for $349!"

My only issue with the Pixel C is the price, I know there is a developer discount but a standard deal 32g Pixel C is $499 and an Ipad Air 2 32g is $399.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Keyser S0ze posted:

My only issue with the Pixel C is the price, I know there is a developer discount
Was, for a long time. But they offered it for a while and now it's gone. So you're back at the $500 or $600 price range without a $129 keyboard (get the keyboard). What I find interesting is so many websites are doing new reviews with Nougat on the Pixel C to see if it's a better device now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

minusX posted:

What I find interesting is so many websites are doing new reviews with Nougat on the Pixel C to see if it's a better device now.

What I find interesting is that so many say it's still awful.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

LastInLine posted:

What I find interesting is that so many say it's still awful.

I think the real question is "What do you want out of this machine?" and it's failing for a lot of people. I wanted a mobile laptop like device that played hearthstone and some other android games well and it servers that purpose with insane battery.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

The 2013 Nexus 7 is the correct size for a tablet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

atomicthumbs posted:

The 2013 Nexus 7 is the correct size for a tablet.

And what does that have to do with my post?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

JayKay posted:

After spending a few weeks with my Shield Tablet, I have to say it's pretty great.

However, it sucks as a gaming tablet when compared to the Shield Portable when you utilize the controller. It's just so more convenient with the Portable since it has the screen attached to the controller. Conversely, the Portable's form factor sucks when you have to use it for something that doesn't require the controller.

I've found myself using my Portable for controller gaming/streaming and the tablet for non-controller gaming and tablety things.

I'd be all over an updated Shield Portable. Nothing is on the horizon though so I'm thinking the Shield line is dead. That's just me talking out of my rear end though.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Shield in stock (UK).

*Snagged*

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

And what does that have to do with my post?

I am expressing my assent.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Asus shockingly updated the ZenPad S8.0 to 6.0 with June 2016 Security Patch. I thought it would be stuck on 5.0 forever.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I was posting in the thread earlier, thinking about picking up an Asus Chromebook Flip and using it as an android tablet. Well, I picked one up a few weeks and have been tooling around with it here and there. As a Chromebook, the Flip is pretty good. I like the keyboard. It's pretty easy to get the Google Play Market onto the Flip. I haven't used too many apps on it yet. Doorkickers works well on it. King of Dragon Pass and GTA: Liberty City Stories is pretty buggy. Hopefully that gets better with updates to how Android runs on ChromeOS. ChromeOS also does not seem to have a native camera app. The apps I've seen on the Play Store are mostly for manipulating photos. Overall, I would recommend getting an actual dedicated tablet until they work more of the bugs out.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Hello android tablet thread is it ok if I ask for recomendation on a tablet? Recommend a tablet thread from OP is archived.

I need a tablet for my mother, she doesn't need anything fancy just watching youtube using Skype and listeting to music on online radio.
I bought her an Asus memo pad 7 a few years ago but the performance was terrible, using skype was a nightmare in particular, youtube wasn't that much better but it worked. It broke now, so I am looking for something cheap to replace it.
I am not opposed to buying something from china if it's decent.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porkinson posted:

Hello android tablet thread is it ok if I ask for recomendation on a tablet? Recommend a tablet thread from OP is archived.

I need a tablet for my mother, she doesn't need anything fancy just watching youtube using Skype and listeting to music on online radio.
I bought her an Asus memo pad 7 a few years ago but the performance was terrible, using skype was a nightmare in particular, youtube wasn't that much better but it worked. It broke now, so I am looking for something cheap to replace it.

$49 7-inch Amazon Fire

The new $89 8-inch Amazon Fire HD has better speakers

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 23, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

porkinson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwoCNcwbfgQ

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Thanks for the recommendations, I will have to look in to this, it's not as good in Poland since Amazon doesn't do free shipping here and buying it from third party costs 160usd for Fire hd 7'' and shipping it from germany costs 20 usd extra.

EDIT: I was mistaken amazon doesn't ship this to Poland. So it's 160usd for a 7'' fire hd with "special offers" :(

porkinson fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 25, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

My son started Kindergarten this year, and they require them to do some homework on a tablet app. What a crazy world we live in. I figure this is the best option for me too, right? The two apps required have Google Play versions, I can just side load the play services on it, seems pretty easy. I'm completely comfortable with ADB and all that, so I'm not turned off by that. I see that running CM12 requires some nonsense with fast booting manually each time it resets. I'm not dealing with that noise, but if I can get Google Play on it, and have it work, I'm game with that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My son started Kindergarten this year, and they require them to do some homework on a tablet app. What a crazy world we live in. I figure this is the best option for me too, right? The two apps required have Google Play versions, I can just side load the play services on it, seems pretty easy. I'm completely comfortable with ADB and all that, so I'm not turned off by that. I see that running CM12 requires some nonsense with fast booting manually each time it resets. I'm not dealing with that noise, but if I can get Google Play on it, and have it work, I'm game with that.

Yeah, there's really no need to root and install CM12 on the Fire tablets imo. Just loading the Google Play store onto them makes the Fire tablets great budget Android options. Last I checked, someone on XDA put together a simple .bat file that pretty much takes care of installing the Play Store/Services onto a Fire tablet for you.

[edit] Yep, here's the thread with the .bat file I mentioned: http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/installing-google-framework-playstore-t3216122 Someone in the thread confirmed it worked fine on the current gen Fire HD 8 no problem.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 3, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is this public school? I've never heard of giving kindergarteners homework. My daughter also started kindergarten this year, and though the children were given access to IXL to practice math, it's completely optional.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is this public school? I've never heard of giving kindergarteners homework. My daughter also started kindergarten this year, and though the children were given access to IXL to practice math, it's completely optional.

It's public school. IXL is one for math, there's another for reading. They have to read like ten minutes a night in a reading app, but I don't know it's name. I may not be required, but they definitely suggest it heavily.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My daughter is older but has never brought a book home from school, they don't use them, everything is online.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't wait until they hit college and not only are books $300, but you can't buy them used since they're all digital.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Can't wait until they hit college and not only are books $300, but you can't buy them used since they're all digital.
Depending on the field of study, they'll probably never pay for a textbook due to :filez:

Some GEs have online homework/one-time-use codes to go along with them, but otherwise the college textbook landscape is far less expensive than it's ever been. I'm sure they'll come up something to screw students by the time those kindergartners reach college age, but right now times are great for college students and textbooks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Planet Money replayed a piece on textbook prices recently, and it basically came down to no matter how much publishers raise prices, they end up making the same money, and yeah, students have been paying less overall.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

wormil posted:

My daughter is older but has never brought a book home from school, they don't use them, everything is online.

Do they all have tablets in the classroom, or is she just not old enough to be at the point of needing multiple textbooks for various classes? It seems like it would be more difficult to learn with a digital book but maybe they've just completely overhauled the teaching method.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do they all have tablets in the classroom, or is she just not old enough to be at the point of needing multiple textbooks for various classes? It seems like it would be more difficult to learn with a digital book but maybe they've just completely overhauled the teaching method.

9th grade, public school. A lot of classrooms have computers. Also they are expected to have phones and use them for school work. No tablets issued. In middle school the school (private) gave them laptops to use. They were told the entire three years they would be allowed to keep them then at the end of 8th grade the school reneged (not bitter). Not a big loss as they were pretty outdated by that point.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
No new nexus/pixel tablet? :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phosphine posted:

No new nexus/pixel tablet? :(

Nope. Guess I'll just get the new Fire HD 8 for now!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Does the SA app work on the Fire?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Always has but since the last update, it's even in the Amazon app store.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Got the Kindle Fire Kids in the mail. Sending it right back and getting an iPad. The kids mode doesn't block access to everything but what I want. There's a settings page for that, but if you swipe to the other kids pages there already all the content being suggested. No wait to disable it. Also no way to lock an app so he can't switch. I put the Play Store on with adb but just enough things are wonky that it's going to be a pain.

My time is too valuable to spend hours on XDA to figure out how to flash CM 12 on it and then once I do it'll be a huge hassle because of lol custom ROM.

Just got an iPad mini 2 for $200. It's $100 more than the Kindle, but it'll be much more solid. I can't lock in apps, but that's a decent trade-off since I had hide everything and make it require a password to install.

Also he can FaceTime his fam, since they all have iPads anyways.

I really wanted to like the Kindle but I just wasn't right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Did I understand it correctly yesterday that the Pixel C won't receive the same updates as the Pixel phones because they're Pixel exclusive? Is the Pixel C not Pixely enough? :( I like the C dangit