Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Four Score posted:

There are two Institute scientists there with Kellogg when he dingos you, and on the whole they definitely aren't painted as xenophobic/germaphobic as the Enclave.

On the other hand, it seems no Institute scientist goes to the surface without wearing a cleanroom suit, so theyre concerned about contamination on some level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
You guys talking about the Institute not having power armor do know there's an Institute paint job for X-01 power armor, right? Coolest looking paint job in the game and I use it on my main suit. You have to get the Institute ending to get it.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I just finished Far Harbor, except for a few side quests. I was hoping for peace between the Atomites and Harbormen. But the quest just sat there unresolved after Dima took one to the face.

So naturally I decided to murder all the Children of Atom, since the Zealots have that Marine armor. I triggered the event and completed the quest.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Did they fix any of the happiness glitches?'s I want to get all the achievements in the core game and the community one is the hardest.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Golden Bee posted:

Did they fix any of the happiness glitches?'s I want to get all the achievements in the core game and the community one is the hardest.

3 settler settlement:
1 tending 6 plants
2 in highest level medical shop

Play until happiness stops going up around 80%, teleport to settlement. Sleep for ~4 hours, walk around inside settlement for 2-3 hours, happiness should go up by 1-3%, sleep and repeat.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

If you're on pc, what I did was just download a save file from the nexus, because screw jumping through hoops.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

TjyvTompa posted:

3 settler settlement:
1 tending 6 plants
2 in highest level medical shop

Play until happiness stops going up around 80%, teleport to settlement. Sleep for ~4 hours, walk around inside settlement for 2-3 hours, happiness should go up by 1-3%, sleep and repeat.

Haha, I did it with literally one settler, a bed, a bar, and a bunch of food and purified water that I dumped in the workbench. Farming is for chumps. :cool:

I did feel bad for making my lonely settler get up and work at a bar for ten hours a day with no one to sell to. Just him alone on the gigantic Spectacle Island.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
If you're running up to the robot junkyard for early-game power cores, go ahead and head from them towards the USAF tracking station or whatever it is; there's a crashed Vertibird in a field on the north side of the road, and a set of PA - as I recall, I got a nearly full set of T-45 there long before I went down near Concord.

There's PA suits all over the drat place, without too much trouble to get at for the most part. You'll have more of an issue trying to keep repaired early-game than finding power cores.

State of the Humungus Address: welp, got my level 3 Raider rear end in a top hat perk, and threw tribute chests at all my conquests. Takes a while to fill, but drat, you get a lot of poo poo when they do. (You can get Legendaries in 'em, too.) Multiple Pick-Me-Up stations, which only require power and not a worker, will churn out free drugz like crazy. I should try multiple stills, but I expect that will just make more vodka. <shrug>

Almost none of my Nuka-Ganger playgrounds have been attacked - except for Croup Manor, which takes 6-10 Minutemen (sometimes with dogs) on a nearly daily (in-game) basis.

I did end up taking Abernathy Farm as a bully-into-submission supply center, but then I fell off the roof in my armor and aggro'd the cat, so everyone died, how horrible. And then the Workbench was still accumulating corn/tatos/water even with population 0. (Although I think Covenant was doing that as well - I suspect the cat.)

The Sanctuary Red Rocket is Raidertown now, too, but doesn't seem to aggro on provisioners or traders. <shrug> I've noticed that Nuka-Raiders can wander past the Minutemen outpost on the road to Croup Manor with no issues, though.

Went back to Jungleland, because it was my Pack joint, and reflagged for Operators. Then went down into the basement and turned on the genetic replicator again. :getin: Except it was last set to make gazelles, not gatorclaws, and I had to spray Kremvh for ruminants.

You'll need a jetpack, but if you climb up the broken roller coaster in Westworld, you can get onto the top two platforms of the oil well for some loot. Also, there's a Toy rocketship on top of the highest "rock" point above Mike Mulligan's place. (Might go see if the Anaconda has some hidden/hard to reach loot, but not right away.)(With a jetpack, you can reach the top of the Power Plant and clear it from the top, if you like.)

The Nuka-World junkyard has a respawning Star Core up on the upper level of the warehouse, by the Animatronic Alien. Conceivably, you could load up on Star Cores there, then run like a sumbitch to Star Command and take command of the systems and still have a full complement of bots and turrets.

I am giving serious thought to starting a new game, and making a run right to Nuka-World for the Splatmaster, just to maul my way through the Commonwealth/Far Harbor... only thing that will suck is going back for more ammo all the time.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Kinda hate how I have to 'drop' one gang in the end, I like them all equally and wish we could just be murder-friends forever.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
How much food does a single seller eat? I'm playing on survival and sanctuary is not producing food to the work bench, I have to harvest it myself, even with workers assigned. I can only assume that the sellers are eating it, especially since my water production just dropped by ten bottles.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

If you take over a settlement and turn it into a raider place, can you still build stuff there as normal?

I'm going to wait a little while longer to make sure that all my mods get updated properly for Nuka-World, then I'm going to start a raider playthrough, avoiding Concord and Preston for as long as possible (the entire game, if I can do it) and siding with the Institute.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

How much food does a single seller eat? I'm playing on survival and sanctuary is not producing food to the work bench, I have to harvest it myself, even with workers assigned. I can only assume that the sellers are eating it, especially since my water production just dropped by ten bottles.

Each settler consumes one food unit per production period. Additional food units above settlement population are converted into a random roll on the surplus food table, provided you don't already have an outstanding (I think 50+?) stock of food.

Really you're better off harvesting it yourself, seeing as how that doesn't actually give your settlers less food.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Beef Hardcheese posted:

If you take over a settlement and turn it into a raider place, can you still build stuff there as normal?

I'm going to wait a little while longer to make sure that all my mods get updated properly for Nuka-World, then I'm going to start a raider playthrough, avoiding Concord and Preston for as long as possible (the entire game, if I can do it) and siding with the Institute.

You'll have two types of raider settlements - outposts and vassals. Outposts works like normal settlements except that raiders get extremely sad if you assign them to farming. Vassals just provide food to nearby outposts and you can't access the workbench, but they'll never be attacked either.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I am giving serious thought to starting a new game, and making a run right to Nuka-World for the Splatmaster, just to maul my way through the Commonwealth/Far Harbor... only thing that will suck is going back for more ammo all the time.

It's definitely fun. doing 45 damage silently full auto at lvl 5 is great.

As for the ammo
Mods fix it ©

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13987/

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I'm working my way through the railroad quests to unlock ballistic weave for my sneak pistol/rifle character. Is there any half decent looking, stealthy clothing in this game? Leather "armor" looks dumb as poo poo by itself, like I stumbled into a department store belt display rack. Add to that the fact that I haven't found anything better than the briliant-blue Vault 111 clothes to go under it, so my "stealth" character looks like a cross between Tobias Fünke's blue man and leather daddy characters. Except, with an army helmet that looks like a camo-green cereal bowl someone dumped on his head.

I have the courser outfit, which looks neat, but can't be worn with armor, and I like my armor mods.

I'm not such a serious player that I need to look like a Tom Clancy protagonist, but I'm kind of tired of looking like Bojangles the Bondage Clown in 3rd-person dialogue scenes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Enigma posted:

I'm working my way through the railroad quests to unlock ballistic weave for my sneak pistol/rifle character. Is there any half decent looking, stealthy clothing in this game? Leather "armor" looks dumb as poo poo by itself, like I stumbled into a department store belt display rack. Add to that the fact that I haven't found anything better than the briliant-blue Vault 111 clothes to go under it, so my "stealth" character looks like a cross between Tobias Fünke's blue man and leather daddy characters. Except, with an army helmet that looks like a camo-green cereal bowl someone dumped on his head.

I have the courser outfit, which looks neat, but can't be worn with armor, and I like my armor mods.

I'm not such a serious player that I need to look like a Tom Clancy protagonist, but I'm kind of tired of looking like Bojangles the Bondage Clown in 3rd-person dialogue scenes.

For underclothes that can be weaved green shirt & combat boots is probably the most normal looking clothing (and the stat points are decent) but for armor pieces that don't look ridiculous...non-sturdy shadowed combat pieces, I guess? Everything else is some variation of sci-fi nonsense or covered in spikes.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My favourite sneak thief look is leather or combat armor on BoS officer uniform. I think in the base game you cant put weave on the uniform tho.

For the combat armor, the medium or heavy variants are good stealthy looking still except the chest piece, which like all other heavy chest pieces, looks like garbage.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

For ballistic weaved undergarments, I like the military fatigues for the bonus stats.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Try road leathers under shadowed leather armor...black makes a big aesthetic difference. But helmets are terrible for aesthetics. Kellogg's outfit and even Greaser Jacket & Jeans works well, as does the Adventurer outfit. I'm assuming you mean without mods, because with mods the possibilities are endless...you just have to sort through the bad to get to the good. Lots of good stuff, though.

Edit: oh yeah...forgot about the BOS uniform. Good choice.

Speedball posted:

Having a shortcut out definitely removes a lot of the BS of dungeon-crawling, yeah.

True. So true.

Hey... I got the Contraptions DLC mostly to use manufacturing extended mod. I'm actually interested to know if anybody's actually built any cool / fun manufacturing stuff. Honestly I'm just seeing that I can just do anything practical faster myself without the machines (scrapping, building weapons & armor). I'd like to build something super intricate with logic switches and multilevel conveyors and laser tripwire counters and all that nonsense, but just the process of sorting out the right materials to go to the right machines takes up waaaay too much space. It might just be better to build a machine that shoots Jangles the Moon Monkey through a basketball hoop switch which sets off fireworks and a graduated lightbox display. Oh, except Jangles fucks up the conveyor machines.

Oh, and, ah...this may sound stupid...to use the autobutcher you have to be able to actually pick up corpses. I don't have any idea how to do that. It's not bound to anything on my controller and I don't see it in the PC options. he;lp...?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Enigma posted:

heavy leather armor actually looks good, and is probably my favorite armor design in the game, barring the marine armor from far harbor.

heavy on the right.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That does look a lot better. Almost like the Skyrim leather. When does that show up? I'm in the mid 20s.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Oh, and, ah...this may sound stupid...to use the autobutcher you have to be able to actually pick up corpses. I don't have any idea how to do that. It's not bound to anything on my controller and I don't see it in the PC options. he;lp...?

Hold down the activation button (on a PS4 controller it's X) while pointing at an object and instead of interacting with it you'll start carrying it in physical space. Works on corpses as well as any other objects you want to use as decorations!

As far as Contraptions go: it's not necessarily very practical to make your own ammo or bombs with the stuff since you still need so many raw ingredients, but it IS fun for making stupid Rube Goldberg machines. I have used its Warehouse structures, an elevator, and a big conveyor belt to create a giant display mall full of statues of costumes, magazine racks and lit Power Armor display cases. I also made a machine that just has steel balls going up and over a building and around in a circle and hitting a power counter that keeps track of how many balls have gone through. Just 'cause.

While it has a lot of cosmetic stuff in it, Wasteland Workshop has more practical stuff in it that affects the main game. Fusion Reactor, Decontamination Arch (which is really drat useful on Survival, because on Survival Radaway weakens you) and the monster cages have practical uses for either farming monster meat or making awesome settlements guarded by zombies. Couple other things too like a powered Water purifier that draws from the ground instead of a pool and a gardening patch so you can put crops anywhere you like, even indoors or in weird locations that don't have a lot of arable space (like Jamaica Plains)

Speedball fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 12, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Speedball posted:

Hold down the activation button (on a PS4 controller it's X)

*tries to move dead body*
*exits power armor for the fifth time in a row*

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Enigma posted:

That does look a lot better. Almost like the Skyrim leather. When does that show up? I'm in the mid 20s.

honestly couldn't tell you when it starts showing up in the item list. just make sure to check enemies carefully when you loot them. higher level armor will have sturdy/heavy as the first word.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of armor: Does anybody know of a mod that makes it clear what kind of modified armor I'm interacting with? As soon as I or the game modifies an armor piece it loses its heavy/medium/light status and it becomes guesswork to figure out what I'm looking at.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Tombot posted:

Speaking of armor: Does anybody know of a mod that makes it clear what kind of modified armor I'm interacting with? As soon as I or the game modifies an armor piece it loses its heavy/medium/light status and it becomes guesswork to figure out what I'm looking at.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4550/

This lets you upgrade/downgrade the armor at a workbench if you have the sufficient armorer perks. Light/Sturdy/Heavy are treated like a modification and can be checked as such.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I decided to rid the park of the raiders, my other character can have the fun of enslaving the Commonwealth. Mom don't play that poo poo, especially after all the work that has gone into building those places up.

I came across an oddity, I have Kremvh's sacrificial blade mod on a "powerful" machete I carry around, but almost never use. I removed it to try and put it on Oscar's sword, but you can't do that, and putting it back on the machete removed four points from its damage (77 down to 73). Luckily I had saved before so I just reloaded, but what would cause that to happen?

2nd edit; I found a neat Easter Egg on top of the building Nisha hangs out in. somebody frozen in carbonite, I don't recognize the face

Edit; sounds reasonable.
VVVVVVVVVV

Barometer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 13, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barometer posted:

I decided to rid the park of the raiders, my other character can have the fun of enslaving the Commonwealth. Mom don't play that poo poo, especially after all the work that has gone into building those places up.

I came across an oddity, I have Kremvh's sacrificial blade mod on a "powerful" machete I carry around, but almost never use. I removed it to try and put it on Oscar's sword, but you can't do that, and putting it back on the machete removed four points from its damage (77 down to 73). Luckily I had saved before so I just reloaded, but what would cause that to happen?

I'm mostly just making an educated guess here, but I think something about that mod is a bit off compared to others. Removing it from that machete may have... reset it, I suppose, to a generic baseline machete? So when you put the mod back on, it's technically applied to a weaker weapon.

EDIT: Further digging, the mod can only be added to machetes and attaches to the "upgrade" slot, same as any normal machete mod. It seems like this might be causing the weirdness? No other unique mod really seems to work this way. The Silver Shroud gun, for example, applies a direct material swap through a leveled list. Ashmaker is just an incendiary legendary applied to a minigun, like most named guns. It's a weird one-off.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 13, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Speaking of Ashmaker, is it possible to mod Incendiary to be a stackable DOT like wounding, instead of a (worthless) non-stacking DOT?

Failing that, make it a fire damage version of Plasma Infused (instant damage), with the DOT for the cosmetic effect.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 13, 2016

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Polaron posted:

I know I shouldn't engage with a crazy person but aren't Preston's Radiant quests literally "A settlement is asking for help, go check it out" at which point you get there and the inhabitants tell you where the murderous raiders/Super Mutants/Synths are coming from for you to go stop?

Asking you to save dirt poor homesteaders who are begging for help is clearly sociopathic behavior. Also, remember the retaking the castle mission where you murder all the mirelurks and their queen? If you read the Wasteland Survival Guide you would know that mirelurks have their own society based around a little bubbling castle. And now Preston wants you to kill them all. Clearly a psycho.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Anyone know why I wouldn't be able to choose Finch Farm as a raider target? It was one of my bigger farms and I'd like to claim the 50 some odd food there but its perpetually greyed out in Shanks list which the help indicates that means I have an active quest there. Well I've long since done the only quest I know of there actual months ago, and I've got no active quest there now. There also aren't any companions there either.

I've tried killing all the Finches, going back to Saugus and making sure I didn't imagine finishing it on this save file, even tried resetting and re-completing the quest in the console to no avail. Not sure what else to try really.

Might just scrap the place and move the resources/people over to Abernathy or something.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Speedball posted:

Hold down the activation button (on a PS4 controller it's X) while pointing at an object and instead of interacting with it you'll start carrying it in physical space. Works on corpses as well as any other objects you want to use as decorations!

I am an idiot. 100s of hours just screwing around in this "game" and I never once figured that out.

Oh! If anybody has been overzealous with the "Scrap Everything" mod and has used scrapall in places like Jamaica Plain, Hangman's Alley, and Sanctuary that really ruins those areas, FYI you can uninstall that mod and all of those places will be restored to their original vanilla state (PLUS what you have built there at the time, so you're going to have buildings inside of buildings) and you can then scrapall again to remove the stuff that you built yourself and leave the stuff that can't be normally scrapped. This was a lovely discovery for me - you can then re-install Scrap Everything and use it more judiciously. Maybe this might help someone; just putting it out there.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I am an idiot. 100s of hours just screwing around in this "game" and I never once figured that out.

Did you know that holding the reload button while holding somethingg makes you throw it?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

<edit>

While it has a lot of cosmetic stuff in it, Wasteland Workshop has more practical stuff in it that affects the main game. Fusion Reactor, Decontamination Arch (which is really drat useful on Survival, because on Survival Radaway weakens you) and the monster cages have practical uses for either farming monster meat or making awesome settlements guarded by zombies. Couple other things too like a powered Water purifier that draws from the ground instead of a pool and a gardening patch so you can put crops anywhere you like, even indoors or in weird locations that don't have a lot of arable space (like Jamaica Plains)

You can also pick up junk items and haul them into a buildable zone to scrap them - this is usually going to be road cones, tires, possible cinderblocks (If loose - can't recall if I've ever moved any for sure) and, for me, an engine block I found bobbing away in the river across from Sanctuary.

And the second bit: gently caress, I knew I was forgetting something!

1 - put down a Garden Plot
2 - slap a Powered Water Pump onto it
3 - repeat as desired for indoors/no-available-dirt water baroning

Just tried this at Jamaica Plain on the weekend, because my badass Operators were sniveling about not having water. (400+ bottles of Purified in the Workshop :rolleyes:.)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Oh Bethesda. After taking a settlement for my raiders by killing all the settlers and their Minutemen bodyguards, I went to go talk to Preston. He yelled at me for quite awhile about how I'm the most evil person in the Commonwealth and how I'm going straight to hell and that he'll never be my companion anymore. He finished with "You're still my general so I'll still take your orders but I'll loving kill you if you ever do that again."

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Hah, you can just stand on the basketball machine in the arcade and wave the ball around in the hoop to rack up points. :haw: Always wanted to try that...

Think I should probably start thinking about which gangs I'm going to back. Operators are in because they're all about those caps, cant decide between the Pack and the edgelords. I like the Pack's attitude but the edgelords have stylish uniforms, though they seem annoying.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, these vertibirds drop out of the sky like nothin, every time I see one it crashes 2 minutes later. Makes me kinda nervous about accepting more BoS missions.

Also, is there any actual reason the 'bird and Cait would be hostile to each other, or did they just accidentally tag her with a bullet while crashing?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

a kitten posted:

Man, these vertibirds drop out of the sky like nothin, every time I see one it crashes 2 minutes later. Makes me kinda nervous about accepting more BoS missions.

Also, is there any actual reason the 'bird and Cait would be hostile to each other, or did they just accidentally tag her with a bullet while crashing?

You haven't run into immortal Vertis yet, then. I've had 'em either attacking a settlement/outpost, or just being wandering monsters (Railroad missions from PAM), and literally be unkillable - about one pixel of health left, all the crew dead and ejected, engines on fire... and still slowly orbiting their target point, firing away. (This also happened at the Battle of Bunker Hill.)

Usually ends as they slowly lose altitude until they clip into the ground and eventually explode for reasons unknown. Although the last one had 'em clip and disappear, after which they somehow offloaded a couple armored BoS Paladins, and only then exploded. (I'd crit'd both the doorgunner and pilot out earlier in the fight, and no one else was visible or targetable in the aircraft. :iiam:)

Half the time they're crashing in random encounters is because they're busty aggro'ing everything in the area, which leads to getting shot to gently caress, and continuing to try and murder whatever their original target was. This leads to low hovers while blasting away with the nose guns, engines taking enough fire to fail, followed by spinning/drifting into whatever tall object was nearby.

Dumbass Verti pilots never got proper training - nose-guns are for drivebys, door guns are for orbiting at a reasonable altitude and hosing ground targets. Dump your armored dudes from altitude, they'll be fine, no need to touch down stupid boots loving never listen to the vets telling them how poo poo really is why in the Old Brotherhood we were taught this poo poo before we ever got behind the stick... :bahgawd:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The one vertibird I've seen in the city that didn't crash dropped two armored BoS knights who proceeded to attack and murder Swan :smith:

Then I went back a little later after resting up at the empty Combat Zone (survival mode) and a couple of non-armored BoS were walking around near his pond like it was nothing. Pretty cold, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vertibirds you yourself ride around in seem damage-resistant at least.

• Locked thread