Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Gentle reminder that Samurott has shell blades on its arms that it pulls out during combat and it's the loving coolest poo poo ever

seamitars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Team Rocket should get a Bewear and an Alola Exeggcutor because they're both prime picks for Team Rocket shenanigans

Really at this point we're going to be watching this for Bulk and Skull, arn't we?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

goes from bipedal to quadrupedal

That's a plus, though. More often it's vice versa for the starters and that's lame.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

samurott + blaziken + delphox are bottom of the barrel. mega blaziken is cool. owltair + torterra + and let's say um. feraligator are the best

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Dear Gamefreak: Please make a Pokemons based on the following gif

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

That's a shame because water starters are without fail the best starters in all generations ever

I'll give you Feraligatr, Greninja and I consider Gen IV a tie (basically the strongest group of designs in the series) so you can count Empoleon.

But this is manifestly not true for Gen 1, 3 or 5.

Seriously though, all the Gen IV starters are amazing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm hearing a lot of shade thrown at my best friend Bulbasaur

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zore posted:

I'll give you Feraligatr, Greninja and I consider Gen IV a tie (basically the strongest group of designs in the series) so you can count Empoleon.

why are you being rude to swampert

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Johnny Joestar posted:

why are you being rude to swampert

swampert is a solid mid-tier design, the kind that is the backbone and standard for pokemon. it just doesn't really stand out in literally any way. Sceptile then has the issue of being extremely good except for the weird and off-putting christmas tree tail, which sucks because Grovyle may be the best 2nd stage pokemon in the series. Blaziken wins mostly by default here tbh because it is a fire kicking chicken.

best designs

Venasaur, Feraligatr, Blaziken, 3-way tie, Serperior, Greninja.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Delphox rules and is my powerful wizard friend shut your mouth

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zore posted:

swampert is a solid mid-tier design, the kind that is the backbone and standard for pokemon. it just doesn't really stand out in literally any way. Sceptile then has the issue of being extremely good except for the weird and off-putting christmas tree tail, which sucks because Grovyle may be the best 2nd stage pokemon in the series. Blaziken wins mostly by default here tbh because it is a fire kicking chicken.

best designs

Venasaur, Feraligatr, Blaziken, 3-way tie, Serperior, Greninja.

but what about this, huh????

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zore posted:

Blastoise is perfect you cur
Swampert is pretty good too and the megaevo is amazing

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert both took me from hating their lines to loving them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Troposphere posted:

Delphox rules and is my powerful wizard friend shut your mouth

Delphox is great and it has one design flaw that prevents me from ranking it with Greninja.

The goddamn ear hair is totally out of control and terrible.

Other than that I really like Delphox.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm proud that Ash has given up his dream of being a pro trainer and is now fleeing the country to get a degree for cheap abroad and go back to Kanto to have a real 9-5 job.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm proud that Ash has given up his dream of being a pro trainer and is now fleeing the country to get a degree for cheap abroad and go back to Kanto to have a real 9-5 job.

And people say he hasn't grown up

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Official list of best starter per gen:
Charizard
Feraligatr
Sceptile
Infernape (other two are also great)
Serperior (though it's still not that good, 5 wasn't great for starters)
Greninja
Owl

less laughter posted:

That's a plus, though. More often it's vice versa for the starters and that's lame.

No that's a regression. If they start out quadrupedal they can go either way but once you go biped you never go back.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 12, 2016

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

I hate how the 3D model's hands hover above the ground that's just not gravity and weight distribution works

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

mega-swampert is good and powerful.

Still kind of a mid-tier pokemon. Like something I would catch and use on my second or third playthrough because its cool and good, but not top tier.

See: Clauncher, Octillery, Sigilyph, Emolga, Skarmory, Roggenrola, Ursaring, Pinsir etc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh my boy big Swamp. yeah owltair + torterra + swampert 😚👌

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

you know birds are bipedal to begin with right.

like, a bird's body shape is already fairly close to humanoid. and this

Isn't really that humanoid. It still has the backward bird legs, wings instead of arms and a pretty short body overall.

I think it looks pretty rad, probably in my top starter evos ever. Definitely less humanoid than, say, Blaziken or Greninja.

its a scaley.

It's a bird in a hood. How are people getting upset about this being "too humanoid" when we just got done with a Frog-man, let alone the Ultra-chicken?

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 12, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is electivire too human-like or too gorilla-like. trick question no pokemon is too human-like because the idea is dumb

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh if we're in the best starters phase of this thread then I have opinions

Based on the final evo only, ignoring earlier stages:
Charizard
I dunno they're all trash
Sceptile
Torterra
Serperior
Delphox
Mermaid seal, assuming it's accurate

Congratulations Popplio on being the first water type to be the best

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think jynx is too human like

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It has come to my attention that there are some really hosed up people that don't take their starter Pokemon all the way through from the beginning of the game to the end of the Elite Four.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All the pokemon that are literally humans are garbage (Jynx, Mr. Mime) but pokemon with a human shape can be extremely good (Gardevoir, Alakazam)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

It's a bird in a hood. How are people getting upset about this being "too humanoid" when we just got done with a Frog-man, let alone the Ultra-chicken?

people have bad opinions :shrug:

I'm going to name mine Roan and he's gonna carry me to the championship (or whatever Alolan ends up having).

GlitchThief posted:

It has come to my attention that there are some really hosed up people that don't take their starter Pokemon all the way through from the beginning of the game to the end of the Elite Four.

I have only done this my first playthrough once.

Gen V made me very sad. Serperior is hideously bad without Contrary. Like almost unusable in the main game bad.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Geostomp posted:

Just like they didn't know what fish are, it turns out that goons are also pretty clueless about birds

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dunban posted:

Just like they didn't know what fish are, it turns out that goons are also pretty clueless about birds

I know fish are garbage and birds are usually pretty good

Is that enough knowledge?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

cheetah7071 posted:

I know fish are garbage and birds are usually pretty good

Is that enough knowledge?

You chose wisely

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

Delphox is great and it has one design flaw that prevents me from ranking it with Greninja.

The goddamn ear hair is totally out of control and terrible.

Other than that I really like Delphox.

Delphox is the most boring starter design outside of Johto. There is nothing memorable about it beyond its ear hair. Say what you will about Chesnaught, at least you can remember the thing.

If we're doing lists again:

Design:
Charizard
Feraligatr
Blaziken
Infernape
Serperior
Greninja
TBD, but Tiger if leak is real.

Personal preference:
Blastoise
Feraligatr
Sceptile
Torterra
Samurott
Chesnaught
Owl

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sharrrk posted:

i think jynx is too human like

what if you think about it as a yokai

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
so many goddamn wrong opinions about Delphox itt

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Braixen is better but Delphox is still pretty good

Actually Braixen is the only time I can think of where I like the middle stage of a three-stage pokemon the most

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

cheetah7071 posted:

Actually Braixen is the only time I can think of where I like the middle stage of a three-stage pokemon the most

this is true braixen is the best

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Daywolf!

(AhAhAaaah)

Fighter of the Nightwolf!

(AhAhAaaaah)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

wartortle, clefairy, poliwhirl, rhydon.... wow there's a ton

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
On a different note, are cyndaquil and chikorita the worst starter designs, debate

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

On a different note, are cyndaquil and chikorita the worst starter designs, debate

They at least have the redeeming quality that the totodile line isn't any better and you have to pick one

There is literally no reason to ever pick Chespin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

typhlosion is awesome