Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Gavin himself owns, too, it's just unfortunate that he's basically the sole reason for the worst case (number 3 i think) to be as bad as it is, which drags him down a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
god gently caress apollo justice case 3

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I liked case 4 and would enjoy an Athena game.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I remember when everybody got so scared when VIDEO was shown to be in SoJ but it was actually fine and didn't overstay it's welcome, ha.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Marogareh posted:

I liked case 4 and would enjoy an Athena game.

I hope they actually plot out her trilogy because Apollo, while being the coolest and best lawyer, had a really weird one!!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

alcharagia posted:

god gently caress apollo justice case 3

'S alright. It's no clown case. Sure, the logic kinda sucks and it has the video, but none of the witnesses are actively unlikable idiots who make you want to stop reading the dialogue (which is what I play these games for mostly anyway).

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Each of Apollo's themes got better as his character did. Coincidence? I think not

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Amppelix posted:

'S alright. It's no clown case. Sure, the logic kinda sucks and it has the video, but none of the witnesses are actively unlikable idiots who make you want to stop reading the dialogue (which is what I play these games for mostly anyway).

It's even worse than Turnabout Big Top. First there's the loving video (GOD THAT VIDEO) and then there's the premise: the prosecution asserts that a small child manages to fire a hand cannon without dislocating anything as well as somehow being able to drag a bigass man to the stage.

Then there's the fact that Big Top leads into a kickass case, while Serenade leads into a case that can best be called "uneven".

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just starting case 4.

did this rear end in a top hat seriously fly out to America the day after case 3? What the gently caress.

Also, I don't think I'm ready for this lady's balloons...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Case 2 was the best case in AA4, which I think says a lot about the quality of that game.

The first case would have been good, but it was a climax when there wasn't any buildup. Gavin being the culprit has absolutely no bite to it because we have no idea what kind of person he's supposed to be. It also has that whole part where Apollo literally uses forged evidence that is never mentioned again which was real lovely.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cloofish posted:

then there's the premise: the prosecution asserts that a small child manages to fire a hand cannon without dislocating anything as well as somehow being able to drag a bigass man to the stage.

Who careeees about this, the logic in these games is usually a bit shaky anyway if you start thinking about it too hard.

I guess people do care about it because I hear about it all the time but I honestly couldn't care less.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Who careeees about this, the logic in these games is usually a bit shaky anyway if you start thinking about it too hard.

I guess people do care about it because I hear about it all the time but I honestly couldn't care less.

Well, in most cases it's just really unlikely it was your client, and usually it takes a while to prove that. For a big chunk of the trial, your client is usually the most obvious culprit. It's only during the last half or third or so when it becomes a bit silly that they still think it could've been your client when you've already proved they weren't at the scene or something. In AJ case 3 though, it's patently obvious from the very beginning that it would've been near-impossible for your client to have done it, and that doesn't change once. It was absolutely infuriating.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

Case 2 was the best case in AA4, which I think says a lot about the quality of that game.

The first case would have been good, but it was a climax when there wasn't any buildup. Gavin being the culprit has absolutely no bite to it because we have no idea what kind of person he's supposed to be. It also has that whole part where Apollo literally uses forged evidence that is never mentioned again which was real lovely.

It is. The forged evidence colours Apollo's interactions with Phoenix for pretty much the whole game until case 4. Especially early in case 2, where Apollo clearly just doesn't want to work for Nick and is still bitter about the whole thing.

Anyway, 4-3 is a real awkward case that relies too hard on the player accepting the premise of the case even if it is really hard to swallow. Moreso than most cases in the series. At least it ain't 4-4 though where every character in the game is sidelined in order to focus on the previous protagonist, who even in better plotted games wasn't the type to be able to carry the story by himself. And then the final trial is just a single testimony, which is just absurdly bad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

In a plot where Phoenix using forged evidence a single time lost him his badge, Apollo doing so under the same circumstances without there being an issue seems like pretty shoddy writing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

In a plot where Phoenix using forged evidence a single time lost him his badge, Apollo doing so under the same circumstances without there being an issue seems like pretty shoddy writing.

Nobody knows it's forged until after the fact. Where immediately upon realising Apollo decks Phoenix in the face and storms out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nobody knows it's forged until after the fact. Where immediately upon realising Apollo decks Phoenix in the face and storms out.

Well, one guy knew but admitting to it would confirm he was guilty and he had no adequate proof of it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

smenj posted:

Well, in most cases it's just really unlikely it was your client, and usually it takes a while to prove that. For a big chunk of the trial, your client is usually the most obvious culprit. It's only during the last half or third or so when it becomes a bit silly that they still think it could've been your client when you've already proved they weren't at the scene or something. In AJ case 3 though, it's patently obvious from the very beginning that it would've been near-impossible for your client to have done it, and that doesn't change once. It was absolutely infuriating.
I think the reboot has actually been way better about this. After each revelation the prosecutor repositions their case and is generally able to find some reason to continue suspecting your client.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the reboot has actually been way better about this. After each revelation the prosecutor repositions their case and is generally able to find some reason to continue suspecting your client.

Yeah, they turned it into this "you fell into my trap" gimmick that both Blackquill and Nahyuta shared, where each revelation you make actually ends up proving that only the defendant could have done it, just in a different way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Case 4: ATHENA'S NEW OBJECTION THEME HOLY poo poo

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Waffleman_ posted:

Case 4: ATHENA'S NEW OBJECTION THEME HOLY poo poo

It's the best song in the game thus far. It's super good.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Clarste posted:

Yeah, they turned it into this "you fell into my trap" gimmick that both Blackquill and Nahyuta shared, where each revelation you make actually ends up proving that only the defendant could have done it, just in a different way.

Doesn't always work, though. Like at the end of Case 3, Day 1, Nahyuta's big, case-destroying argument is the robe was draped over the statue when that is patently impossible going by the one bit of the seance you didn't disprove, and Nick just clams up.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 3 ending: That is actually what happened, though? I agree Nahyuta should've presented some evidence to back up the claim. I also felt like dismissing Datz as a suspect out of hand because he was a rebel was silly, there could easily be some kind of internal squabble between them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Case 4: Uendo is a pretty man.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Waffleman_ posted:

Case 4: Uendo is a pretty man.

Best witness in the series. Really sad because him being from a filler case means he'll probably never come back. :(

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cloofish posted:

Best witness in the series. Really sad because him being from a filler case means he'll probably never come back. :(

When's the last time any random one-off witness came back, from any case? Adrian Andrews?

Point is it really doesn't happen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Penny Nichols!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oldbag and Lotta were random one-off witnesses before they came back

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Adrian Andrews at least had the good fortune to be in a major case. (Even though it doesn't really have a big role in the plot, it's a huge deal in terms of Phoenix and Edgeworth's character development)

Wendy Oldbag I guess? The bellboy? Yeah it doesn't really happen. :sigh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished the game and something I kind of expected to come into play and never did was (ending case spoilers) Inga had black hair dye in his room. I expected the "he loved Rayfa" angle to come up even after we find out he's not the real dad and that the hair dye was actually something he gave to her to make her coloration be more like his and Ga'ran. Shocked that didn't happen.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

So I'm on Investigation 1 of Case 5 and I CAN'T BELIEVE APOLLO JUSTICE IS loving DEAD.

(Also Dhurke is totally Apollo's bio dad. Just look at him.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Case 4: SAKE IS NOT RICE WINE, YOU BAKA GAIJIN

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Case 4: SAKE IS NOT RICE WINE, YOU BAKA GAIJIN

Case 4 pretty conclusively proved to me that Blackquill is the goddamn best and the coolest dude. :allears:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Case 4 pretty conclusively proved to me that Blackquill is the goddamn best and the coolest dude. :allears:

You hadn't figured that out by 5-3?

"That wasn't me, it was my body double!"

":what: I'm leaving."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

You hadn't figured that out by 5-3?

"That wasn't me, it was my body double!"

":what: I'm leaving."

I didn't know if he'd be able to keep it up outside of his debut game! But he proved me wrong.

I never should have doubted him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm just at Case 2 and this game is making me laugh all over the place

SAY SOMETHING DUMB

LAY DOWN A SICK BURN

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Alhbi and his dog have the most adorable animations in this whole game

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I wonder if they're going to do a dubbed version of the DLC trailer. That thing was great.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't imagine what he's like in Japanese. What does he name his bird, if not bird? A Blackquill that isn't a giant weeaboo is not one I want to see.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Are the short stories worth the money? The first one comes out in a few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Momomo posted:

I can't imagine what he's like in Japanese. What does he name his bird, if not bird? A Blackquill that isn't a giant weeaboo is not one I want to see.

The Japanese Blackquill is more of a stereotypical brash ronin, from what I understand.