Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

SuperDucky posted:

Yeah, sounds like they've stretched out somehow. Strange. If you need additional help I can ask my C22 buddy, I've never stepped a rig on one though. My initial reaction is that something isn't right with how you have the standing rigging balanced in the turnbuckles.

Just measured all of the standing rigging and we aren't stretched out (heh) at all! This means we're either doing something pants-on-head retarded or our turnbuckles may be garbage. I'm going to go step the mast again and see if I can figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ok so I (and third roommate/mistress) stepped it again:

The shrouds shouldn't be a problem... we should be able to get them tensioned properly with the adjustment we have left in their six turnbuckles.

The forestay is connected like so:

With both the backstay and forestay turnbuckles as tight as possible, the backstay has a shitload of slack:

This is the current issue. Am I attaching the forestay and/or backstay wrong?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Turns out I'm attaching the forestay wrong:

Since we were doing it with the sails on, I only attached it to the second hole. The resulting backstay tension was reassuring:

If I were to attach it to the leading hole, I believe the issue would be solved. Success!

I discovered the error when I went to attach the jibsail and found no receptacle. Turns out I attached the forestay to the jib tack.

I also found a jibsail that's much larger than the storm jib I posted up earlier:

This one also had a jibsheet:

Yet another problem solved!

I think we have six sails in all. I took them inside to take inventory on the type, size, and condition. I'll then be folding them, as they're currently crumpled.

You really learn a lot just getting out there, even if it's just in the backyard.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looks like you're making real progress!

It's a manufactured boat, isn't it? Do boat people not use manuals for rigging layout and stuff, or does it vary by sail or some other weird thing?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
boat

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

It's a manufactured boat, isn't it? Do boat people not use manuals for rigging layout and stuff, or does it vary by sail or some other weird thing?

Yes, I'm just not one to ever actually look at a manual for some reason. It's like i forget they exist or something :shobon:

Correct

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sail inventory:

Seven sails. Three mainsails and four jibs. Looks like one of the mainsails is garbage, and the one we've been putting up is absolutely the best condition one.

All the jibs are good, though older. The smallest one near the Gorester is rigged in this picture:

The sail closest to the shed (far right in the second picture) is rigged in this picture:

SuperDucky posted:

:stonk: You're gonna be going real slow, dude. I'm actually going to ask around to see if anyone has an old 155 they don't want. Do you have a whisker pole? Fastest way downwind in those things is barn door it--wing on wing, main on one side, genny poled out to the other to catch as much as possible.

Looks like there's no whisker pole unfortunately. Am I correct in thinking the two largest jibs are 110s or thereabouts?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Adiabatic posted:

Looks like there's no whisker pole unfortunately. Am I correct in thinking the two largest jibs are 110s or thereabouts?
Yep, your big'uns are 110's. For non sailing goons, on overlapping masthead and fractional sloops, the foresails are measured as a percentage from the forestay to the mast.
Your J is 9.66', and C22s are very plentiful. Shouldn't be hard to source a pole.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=200

Adiabatic posted:

Turns out I'm attaching the forestay wrong:

Since we were doing it with the sails on, I only attached it to the second hole. The resulting backstay tension was reassuring:

If I were to attach it to the leading hole, I believe the issue would be solved. Success!
Bad. BAD Adiabatic! NEVER attach standing rigging to shackles/carabiners/etc. Glad you got it figured out. Put some electrical tape over that lovely swedge on your backstay unless you like tearing up sheets prematurely or enjoy tetanus shots.

meatpimp posted:

Sailboat rigging may be the one thing where a "do it yourself attitude" is promulgated more fully than automotive work. This means that for people who know what they're doing, great! For those that don't.... :chloe:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks SuperDucky! That website lists the J length as 8' and the E length as 9.66'. Are the notations for J and E different on your diagram than the websites?

We're absolutely gonna pick up a whisker pole per your recommendation. We'd also like to run a spinnaker, but we definitely need to get comfortable with all the kit we have already before getting the big boy pants out. Future upgrades!

We're sourcing a motor, and we picked up 8 of these fellas to make stepping and tuning the mast easy peasy.

The weekend of September 24th is what we've decided for first sail. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Anything specific to check, aside from weather, wind, tide, and grabbing river charts? We'll probably put in around Hopewell, VA. I believe the wife has lined up one or more boat-less experienced sailors that will be showing us the ropes.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 12, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Now you need cannon and a tricorne

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Now you need cannon and a tricorne

Dumb pirate flag is totally happening. We also want an ouroboros (Jormungandr, preferably) as out sigil. Yarr, tricorns and cannon fit the theme.

Oh also is it really worth it to change to open turnbuckles?

I understand the gunk argument, but we've got PVC tubing and caps already over the closed ones.

We were set on changing to opens when we replaced the rigging but now that we aren't replacing rigging I'm second-guessing the decision.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I wouldn't worry about it until you get sick of using the closed ones.

Which will probably happen pretty quickly.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks SuperDucky! That website lists the J length as 8' and the E length as 9.66'. Are the notations for J and E different on your diagram than the websites?

We're absolutely gonna pick up a whisker pole per your recommendation. We'd also like to run a spinnaker, but we definitely need to get comfortable with all the kit we have already before getting the big boy pants out. Future upgrades!

We're sourcing a motor, and we picked up 8 of these fellas to make stepping and tuning the mast easy peasy.

The weekend of September 24th is what we've decided for first sail. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Anything specific to check, aside from weather, wind, tide, and grabbing river charts? We'll probably put in around Hopewell, VA. I believe the wife has lined up one or more boat-less experienced sailors that will be showing us the ropes.

No, I'm just dyslexic and misread, you are correct, J is 8', which is better for you, poles of a specific-foot length are much easier to source and fabricate!

For your first sail, make sure your dity box has:
1) A tool capable of cutting the rig down (usually a decent set of bolt cutters)
2) Knife with a marlin spike (though, ideally, this should be on deck with you at all times)
3) a rope you feel comfortable being towed with that isn't any of your running rigging
4) Duct tape and electrical tape
5) flares and a gun
6) the biggest fuckoff flashlight you own and spare batteries
7) first aid kit
8) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Gay_Rum
9) bilge pump
10) spare ringdings, shackles, enough 1/2 line to jury rig a vang or mainsheet together if you blow a control line up
11) 2x rig tension tool kits, ideally a flathead and appropriate-sized crescent. Using monkey wrenches or adjustables on turnbuckles sucks, trust me.
12) wd40 and silicone (find McLube if you have a WorstMarine around, poo poo's worth it and you can use it around the garage, too)
13) a whole goddamn mechanic's kit, at least until you know what size every fastener is on every block cleat and fitting
14) a tube of 3m 4200/5200

Nice to haves:
hand held VHF, backup flashlight, backup bulbs for running lights, bosun's chair, paddle, binoculars, I'm sure I'll think of more....

That's getting lengthy, I know, but it's generally the first time out you'll find the weak spot in an old boat...

Adiabatic posted:

Oh also is it really worth it to change to open turnbuckles?

Eh, save the money right now, you might decide you hate sailing. :cheeky:

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 12, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

This is critical. Only Mount Gay is the acceptable sailor's rum*. Any other brand of lower cost rum will out you as a poser, especially that pirate themed brand. This is serious business.

*The exception is dark rums. Its a good idea to have dark rum on hand for emergency dark and stormies. Acceptable brands include Gosling's (the classic) and Kraken.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

That was actually a fairly interesting read, and now I'm going to have to keep my eye out for some of their rum next time I go booze shopping.

I'm excited for the adventures of Adiabatic Goes to Sea.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SCA Enthusiast posted:

This is critical. Only Mount Gay is the acceptable sailor's rum*. Any other brand of lower cost rum will out you as a poser, especially that pirate themed brand. This is serious business.

*The exception is dark rums. Its a good idea to have dark rum on hand for emergency dark and stormies. Acceptable brands include Gosling's (the classic) and Kraken.

Re:Rum Chat.
here we go:

Mount Gay - Black Barrel is pretty good. Mom just brought me a bottle from Barbados. It's good enough to want to hang onto for a while. Doesn't take straight to the face well though.
Their XO is very good, everything else from them is very acceptable.

Cruzan makes an excellent Estate Single Barrel rum, complex and full in flavor.

Pyrat is very good, nice and sweet/caramel. 10 cane is one of my favorite Mojito rums.

I recently got into Matusalem Ron. I gotta say that this has become my go to. Edging out the Cruzan aged by a wide margin in terms of value, and untouchable in terms of flavors. The cruzan is still significantly cheaper though.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 12, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Delicious: (Wrar Approved)

Also Legitimate Boat Rum:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusser%27s

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Terrible Robot posted:

That was actually a fairly interesting read, and now I'm going to have to keep my eye out for some of their rum next time I go booze shopping.

I'm excited for the adventures of Adiabatic Goes to Sea.

:)

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Indeed. You are only a true, dedicated racer of rapport when you have a mount gay hat.
:stonk: No.
Yes.

Godspeed, Adiabatic.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

So fun story: I was in St Thomas and a lady friend of mine happened to be there at the same time in a hotel just around this sheer cliff outcropping of rocks that separated out resort's beaches. I snagged a bottle of Kraken, she had the ginger beer. The plan was to sneak out and get trashed on her resort's beach. I waited till dark, and scaled the cliff between us, with the bottle tied to my shoulder. I got all the way there, and she was trapped playing monopoly or some dumb poo poo with her family.
Defeated, I didn't really want to haul that bottle back, so I faced the whole thing, no mixer, no chaser. It was awful. I climbed the 50ft cliff back up to head to my hotel and when I flung myself up over the edge I wound up landing butt first into some cactus-like thing. It was more enjoyable than the Kraken.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I ruined myself for Kraken right when it came out. I was 20. It was...ugly.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I too have ruined myself on Kraken. Its easy as poo poo to do since its a sneaky 94 proof. I genuinely do enjoy it though.

Mount Gay is the sailor's rum because of how much sailing stuff they sponsor, not because its particularly boat themed.

On the finer end of things I really like Pyrat too. I'm not as knowledgeable about rum as I am about whiskey. TIME TO LEARN

This thread is now AI sailing and rum chat thread. Sorry adiabatic.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 13, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't remember kraken being 94 proof, just straight 80. Turns out there's two versions, and Idaho dispensaries only stocked 80 :eng99:

I think it's an okay rum, but I also think Cpt Morgan Reserve and Bacardi black are okay.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Mount gay is rad as gently caress. add in some tonic water, lime and a little freshly ground nutmeg and mmmmm hmmmmmm. P sure I kept that company afloat on that alone for like 2 years.

Krakken? lolol that poo poo. I'll drink it, but boooy does it make a great industrial solvent.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I too have ruined myself on Kraken. Its easy as poo poo to do since its a sneaky 94 proof. I genuinely do enjoy it though.

Mount Gay is the sailor's rum because of how much sailing stuff they sponsor, not because its particularly boat themed.

On the finer end of things I really like Pyrat too. I'm not as knowledgeable about rum as I am about whiskey. TIME TO LEARN

My only bathing suit has a Mount Gay patch on it.

...wait there's an 80 proof Kraken?
Hoist up the John B sail boyz! I'm goin in!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Mount Gay Eclipse makes a drat fine dark and stormy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

7 year Havana Club is my best quick go-to rum

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Mount Gay and Tonic with a lime wedge is the official drink of sailors. Dark and Stormies are a close second, but don't say it too loud or Goslings will sue the poo poo out of you!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

SCA Enthusiast posted:

AI Sailing and Rum Chat owns.

Where does scotch fit in this, if at all?

SuperDucky thanks loads for the list. we'll begin assembling.

E:

toplitzin posted:

Legitimate Boat Rum:

I had this in the British Virgin Isles. It was....

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 13, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Scotch is for the North Atlantic. :)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rates Vary, Currency is Rum: The Shadetree Mechanic's Hole in the Water

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Scotch owns and is great for boats and I know more about it than rum so I'd be happy to talk about it.

My personal favorite boat scotches are Talisker (10yr or storm), Lagavulin (perfect for any occasion), and The Macallan (for when I don't feel like a peat explosion).

Adiabatic posted:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Scotch owns and is great for boats and I know more about it than rum so I'd be happy to talk about it.

My personal favorite boat scotches are Talisker (10yr or storm), Lagavulin (perfect for any occasion), and The Macallan (for when I don't feel like a peat explosion).

I'm a big Laphroaig and Lagavulin type of dude. Talisker is alright but I've only had the 10. Ardbeg and Caol Ila are also pretty good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

I'm a big Laphroaig and Lagavulin type of dude. Talisker is alright but I've only had the 10. Ardbeg and Caol Ila are also pretty good.

Insanely this

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Adiabatic posted:

Ardbeg is one of my all-time favorites, although the 10 is pretty harsh. The Uigeadail is amazing. I bought a bottle at NEAI, because I have trouble locating it up here. It's not something you'd want to mix or drink more than 1 of, but that's my preferred consumption regime anyhow.
I've got a bottle of Galileo and Corryvreckan that I've been sitting on for several years.

Laphroaig cask strength is another favorite. Add some water, watch it mix, and enjoy. Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, Bunnahabhain 12, all excellent. The Bunnahabhain is different because it's an islay but only lighted peated.

If smoke, peat, and seaweed aren't your thing, I'd check out the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or... smooth highland scotch matured in Sauternes casks. I'm not normally a sweet, smooth kind of scotch guy, but this poo poo is awesome.

RE: Rumchat, Mount Gay is excellent with tonic and lime. Goslings for D&S's (with Regatta ginger beer). Pussers is for British sailors (having worked on British Navy ships and with British Royal Marines, you get used to the taste eventually). If anyone is into sipping rums, I'd suggest Angostura 1824 as a reasonably priced, excellent start. If you've got the cash, El Dorado 21 is another fine fine aged rum.

Kraken... it's got kinda a cool bottle?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

Caol Ila is my second favorite Islay, after Lagavulin. Laphroaig is good but I'm not a huge fan of a lot of their expressions. Triple Wood is my favorite.

I feel bad for even bringing up Kraken now. :eng99: IT REMINDS ME OF COLLEGE OKAY?

E: I also really love Jura. Highland Park does okay too.

EE: Any of you who don't already have it should consider getting a copy of Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch

No not that Michael Jackson.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 13, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That Michael doesnt like things aged anyways.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

That Michael doesnt like things aged anyways.

He does if they're aged 12 years. :haw:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

You need this.
http://www.greatlakesdistillery.com/spirits/roaring-dans-rum/

Named after the only man ever arrested for Piracy on the Great Lakes.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Adiabatic posted:

Any chance you'd wanna come down and race this weekend at next year's big C22 regatta at my club? :madmax:
http://www.llsc.com/Calendar/Detail.asp?eKey=4201 (I'm Principal Race Officer this weekend, free booze for zero effort so long as I don't gently caress up and set square courses!)
poo poo, I'll swallow my pride and race one of those soap box cars with you if it means goon meet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I would absolutely be down for that, and I'm sure the missus would too!

I feel like a year is probably good enough. Probably.