Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rant about them on nanog

a time honored tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Renegret posted:

And the worst part, no matter how much of a pain in the rear end AT&T was for me today, they'll never come close to how awful Time Warner can be on the best of days. AT&T was unorganized but at least friendly and cooperative, TWC has been straight up belligerent every time I've called them for something.

That's what kills me around here - we have a few smaller ISPs for people out in more rural/small town areas and even they do a million times better than TWC. The day they cut my client's service by mistake, I had to call them SEVEN TIMES in the course of a couple hours and got a different unskilled (and really bored sounding) rep each time who kept trying to tell me their earliest appointment was the next day between 1p-4p. Even though they had the info I had to constantly reiterate that this is a medical client that cannot be down for that amount of time because they've got appointments and patients to see. I had to conference in our main decision maker on site along with her boss and that's when the threat of cancellation happened and they changed their tone to "we'll get someone out in the next 30 minutes".

Meanwhile, Cox services the area I'm in, and we've rarely had trouble with them, they're easy to deal with and actually give us notice whenever they do any maintenance or have planned outages. Meanwhile TWC consistently has nodes going offline of someone so much as looks at them wrong and talking to them is like trying to explain rocket science to a partially deaf octogenarian with Alzheimer's.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cox has easily been the best cable internet company I've ever dealt with. They're a bit on the pricey side, but the service itself is really solid.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Meanwhile TWC consistently has nodes going offline of someone so much as looks at them wrong and talking to them is like trying to explain rocket science to a partially deaf octogenarian with Alzheimer's.

My parents have TWC. One day there was a car accident that took down a utility pole and cut their fiber, causing the entire neighborhood to go out.

I didn't know this, so after 3 hours of no service I called them. You'd think 3 hours would be enough time to communicate to your customer service reps about a huge systemic outage like that, but apparently not!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stevewm posted:

Ugh... If you have their lovely "UVerse" service, on occasion they will push out a firmware update for the modem/gateway that also results in the thing being reset to defaults.

This isn't a problem for most home customers, but if you are a business and have the "pass-through" option enabled so you can use your own router without double-NAT, it becomes a problem.

The one location I have on UVerse has experienced this twice now.

Holy poo poo. A network guy in one of the ops groups was bitching about this over lunch. "It's like the modem all of a sudden defaulted for no reason we can see. ATT said they didn't touch it, and won't send someone out to fix the config since they say it's the customer's responsibility..."

I foresee a REALLY angry phone call in his future.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo. A network guy in one of the ops groups was bitching about this over lunch. "It's like the modem all of a sudden defaulted for no reason we can see. ATT said they didn't touch it, and won't send someone out to fix the config since they say it's the customer's responsibility..."

I foresee a REALLY angry phone call in his future.

ATT, Comcast and TWC have equally useless small business circuit service. I just default to the assumption that it will be down whenever it matters so if it matters probably provision another small business circuit from another lovely provider. Though I have seen ATT and Comcast go down at the same time for different reasons at a single site that was only once which is p good for the price.

If the customer balks at it then welp. Just get that idiocy in the CYA folder for when they bitch that their internets are down and they need it back RIGHT NOW and why did you implement this terrible setup anyways?!

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 12, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are fibre circuits with real SLAs prohibitively expensive stateside, or are the build costs what push it out of the realm of affordability? Is it just a case of people wanting to pay as little as they can get away with?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Are fibre circuits with real SLAs prohibitively expensive stateside, or are the build costs what push it out of the realm of affordability? Is it just a case of people wanting to pay as little as they can get away with?

It depends heavily on location but more often than not it's just business folks cheaping out in places they shouldn't.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

people wanting to pay as little as they can get away with?

united_states.txt

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We've waited 9 months for the loving permits to build under some railroad tracks to get fiber to one of our manufacturing facilities. It's already done on both sides. Just 12 feet or so we can't do until permits.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

18 Character Limit posted:

united_states.txt

In fairness I don't think terribly short-sighted business planning is limited to the US. We're unproductive as gently caress over in the UK.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

We've waited 9 months for the loving permits to build under some railroad tracks to get fiber to one of our manufacturing facilities.

I'm dealing with the same thing right now. Everything having to do with the railroad moves at such a truly glacial pace that big ISPs and the government look amazingly fast by comparison.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We're coordinating a building move and Integra ensured us that the equipment at the future building will be able to handle the circuit we want. We had TWC out lately, and they're saying they need to install a bunch of equipment that won't be ready until December. Which service provider was correct? Who should we be pissed off at? :iiam:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

anthonypants posted:

We're coordinating a building move and Integra ensured us that the equipment at the future building will be able to handle the circuit we want. We had TWC out lately, and they're saying they need to install a bunch of equipment that won't be ready until December. Which service provider was correct? Who should we be pissed off at? :iiam:

Integra asked TWC and TWC said ya sure without actually checking is the most likely scenario.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
Ticket: We would like to get a Xen server to do nvidia grid stuff with GIS

Cool, I thought it would be fun to learn some new stuff. Then I found out they have already ordered the server, first warning sign. Server shows up and it is quite a beefy machine. Unfortunately when I looked at the packing slip it was definitely missing the word nvidia on it, this is when I realized that there might be something off about this project that I already agreed to get up an running. Found the technical pages from nvidia and citrix about using xenapp. The nvidia one has a handy hardware compatibility section that wasn't looked apparently. Our server definitely fits the specs for running xen server and hosting virtual servers, but it doesn't have the space or the power supply to run one of the nvidia cards. I do a little more reading to make sure and let my boss know. He asks me to look into external gpus for servers. As far as I can tell they don't exist unless it becomes a diy hackjob. I explain all that and get told to figure it out. Well I think I figured it out. We are going to buy a correct model server and transfer all the memory and cpu over to it and then get a grid card. Thats what I am going to tell them tomorrow when they come in. I hope they say yes, otherwise an expensive server is going to sit around doing diddly.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
:stare: who ordered this server?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Gealar posted:

Thats what I am going to tell them tomorrow when they come in. I hope they say yes, otherwise an expensive server is going to sit around doing diddly.

They're not going to say yes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Another server with the correct parts in is technically a graphics card external to the server that has been purchased incorrectly.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I've been dealing with server team putting off a server build that I requested for 3 months only to find out they built a db server without even asking about specs. How did I find out? They put in a change to assign vlans to said server named ($appnamedb2).

Meanwhile I have a million projects going on and no experience prioritizing well enough to not be overwhelmed. Does anyone have any book/reading suggestions for juggling excessive amounts of projects as more poo poo keeps getting piled on?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Books aren't going to help. How many hours a week are you working?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Does anyone have any book/reading suggestions for juggling excessive amounts of projects as more poo poo keeps getting piled on?

Start saying no.

Not to projects in general, but when something comes in that needs to be done yesterday, make them understand that unless they can prove a need for priority, your deadline is much different than their deadline.

If you keep saying yes and adding to the pile it will become culture to expect impossible turnround from your department. Make the culture cater to you to the point where departments are contacting you as soon as they can to get a good spot in line. Suddenly you won't be as buried in poo poo all the time and you have the resources to react to a last minute emergency project.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ok time to play guess the issue.

Customer calls up. Owner's PC is running very slow to the point of being unusable. Specs it is an I5-4000 series cpu 8gb RAM and a 250gb Intel 530 sad. Runs Outlook connecting to in house Exchange, Word , Excel and a web based mapping tool.

What is the real issue?

His ancient 19 inch monitor had failed and the whole image was shaking/ shimmering the whole time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

This is making me crazy anxious.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Hold music chat: I just discovered today that the hold music at my new job at this cafe is loving Opus Number 1.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hold music chat: I just discovered today that the hold music at my new job at this cafe is loving Opus Number 1.
You can thank Cisco for that; Ira Glass did an interesting story on it on This American Life a while back.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In fact, I listened to the piece today.

gooby pls posted:

Speaking of MoH, This American Life had a neat segment on the origin of Cisco's hold music.

Please to enjoy: http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/516/stuck-in-the-middle

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I managed to get the manager of our client care team to have a screaming fit in the middle of the office and then get publicly yelled at by the GM. All that was triggered by me having the temerity to suggest that clientcare put details of the products the customers had bought on either the sales orders or literally anything they send to support as otherwise we have literally no idea what we're supposed to be installing. She didn't take the suggestion well and went thermonuclear, which thankfully the GM witnessed and publicly rebuked. Good times.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fudge posted:

Actually, Time Management for Systems Administrators might. Fortunately, it's a quick read. TL/DR:

* Establish some regular time for uninterrupted work, even if it's just an unofficial agreement with a friend to cover for each other.
* Capture numbers on where your times goes, X a week for interruptions, Y a week on new hires, Z in meetings, AA in projects.
* Establish that project time estimate as a real thing.
* Estimate hours for requested projects. Make a decision maker prioritize.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

iajanus posted:

I managed to get the manager of our client care team to have a screaming fit in the middle of the office and then get publicly yelled at by the GM. All that was triggered by me having the temerity to suggest that clientcare put details of the products the customers had bought on either the sales orders or literally anything they send to support as otherwise we have literally no idea what we're supposed to be installing. She didn't take the suggestion well and went thermonuclear, which thankfully the GM witnessed and publicly rebuked. Good times.

But writing things is haaaaaaaard...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Rassle posted:

This, or really anything else from the Stanley Parable soundtrack would make great hold music.

Great idea, especially since it's a great game about being a cubicle worker :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm disappointed because I thought you meant this Opus One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdr1w4gKgFg

The CEO's son wants to movie his Win 7 laptop install to a larger drive because he's almost filled the original one. He asked me for "foolproof" cloning software because he wants to do it himself. Anyone know of anything appropriate for consumers?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm disappointed because I thought you meant this Opus One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdr1w4gKgFg

The CEO's son wants to movie his Win 7 laptop install to a larger drive because he's almost filled the original one. He asked me for "foolproof" cloning software because he wants to do it himself. Anyone know of anything appropriate for consumers?

I liked EaseUS stuff, tho it's not really foolproof. Also, let me just movie my movies to my new movie harddrive.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Fudge posted:

hours aren't crazy. 40 to 50 tops? It's more that I'm sme for two products that need care with a dedicated 2-4 people and we're super shortstaffed.

e: going to check out the book.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If it was a ton of hours I was gonna say quit haha

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm actually pushing to get us off of our fiber connection and onto one of the local cable plans. We're currently paying $100 a month for a 10/2 fiber connection. Unfortunately this is not quite enough bandwidth for what we are wanting to use it for, and they are not willing to cut us any kind of price break but instead will charge us through the nose for upgrading. We're not a commercial business, we're a NPO and don't particularly care if the internet has 99.999% reliability.

We have two cable options in the area, CableOne and a smaller regional company, both of which I've used for residential service in the past and been quite happy with. Both of them are currently (or soon will be) offering up to 1 Gigabit service for residential customers. I expect that same $100 we're paying for 10/2 fiber could get us at least 30-40Mbps with business class cable.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dick Trauma posted:

If he's migrating to a ssd the software that comes with Samsung drives works well and is easy to use.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Its going to vary wildly across the country...

As an example... Just over 2 years ago we tried to get a dedicated fiber line for our corp. office. The providers' fiber was only about 900 feet from our building, but they still wanted a little over $8k in construction costs and $550 a month on a 5 year contract for 10/5 service. We just stuck with the 20/3 VDSL service we already have from the same provider, which has maybe 2 short outages a year and costs $70/month.

In many parts of the US you generally only have one choice of telecom provider. If they don't offer what you need, tough poo poo. There is no competition in the telecom market in many areas. Of our 10 locations, only 3 have the option of more than one provider.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

Great idea, especially since it's a great game about being a cubicle worker :v:
God drat, is that all you got out of The Stanley Parable?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

God drat, is that all you got out of The Stanley Parable?

Yeah of course, I stayed inside the cubicle and waited for more input commands until my shift was over. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

• Locked thread