Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lurdiak posted:

Strange calls upon Cytorrak and even Mephisto in his spellcasting. Really, the best way to understand Strange's spells is as a series of contracts made with more powerful entities. As Sorceror Supreme he just happens to have all the best contracts pre-negotiated for him by the Vishanti and his predecessors. I know the writers don't always portray it that way, but that's because they're wrong and will pay for their crimes.

This is a major plot point in his 1980s-90s series. A mystical war between the heavy hitters called the War of the Seven Spheres breaks out, which will last somewhere around five millenia, and all of the entities that Strange has invoked for power show up at once demanding that he fight on their side as payment for services rendered. The only way he gets out with his skin is to renounce the ability to invoke any of them, which means he's no longer Sorcerer Supreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

There was a not-great-not-bad Strange miniseries from...2009-10 I think, where he wasn't the Sorcerer Supreme any more and lost a lot his "diplomatic power" as it were to negotiate for power and spells and such with otherworldy entities. He had to give up one spell that made small objects vanish because it just dumped everything that it vanished into another dimension, and that dimension's demon lord ruler was getting pissed off at trash falling out of the sky all the time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mover posted:

There was a not-great-not-bad Strange miniseries from...2009-10 I think, where he wasn't the Sorcerer Supreme any more and lost a lot his "diplomatic power" as it were to negotiate for power and spells and such with otherworldy entities. He had to give up one spell that made small objects vanish because it just dumped everything that it vanished into another dimension, and that dimension's demon lord ruler was getting pissed off at trash falling out of the sky all the time.

I think that was "The Doctor Is Out".

It started off a little slowly, but by the end I was really enjoying it and I wish it had been able to continue so we could get some closure on the short-term sidekick. :(

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was about to say, that I think that's the only Doctor Strange story I've ever read, but after a quick search, I realized that it was The Oath when it got storytimed on /co/ when I used to lurk 4chan.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Roth posted:

I was about to say, that I think that's the only Doctor Strange story I've ever read, but after a quick search, I realized that it was The Oath when it got storytimed on /co/ when I used to lurk 4chan.

I liked that one, too. Somebody else can post the "Doc's getting ready to kick some rear end" picture; I'll post this one.

(That's the Elixir of Otkid he's holding.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

I think that was "The Doctor Is Out".

It started off a little slowly, but by the end I was really enjoying it and I wish it had been able to continue so we could get some closure on the short-term sidekick. :(

If it's by Waid it's definitely worth my time to check out.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

prefect posted:

I liked that one, too. Somebody else can post the "Doc's getting ready to kick some rear end" picture; I'll post this one.

(That's the Elixir of Otkid he's holding.)
At the end of the story he expends the Panacea to save his butler instead of replicating it to end all human disease.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
As the Sorcerer Supreme you have to be ready to make the hard choices.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

Really, the best way to understand Strange's spells is as a series of contracts made with more powerful entities. As Sorceror Supreme he just happens to have all the best contracts pre-negotiated for him by the Vishanti and his predecessors.
You just made me yearn for an Exiles special where they have to defeat that universe's Sorcerer Supreme, which is Donald Trump, by becoming his Apprentice...

:smugdon:
I have THE best contracts, so good, really top notch. I go into their realms, and you know, their realms are not the best realms to go into, you wouldn't walk into those realms at night, but I would, you know, because they respect me. They see me and say "Don, we don't send the best to your dimension, we know that, you deserve better and we're sorry about that we really are". But these contracts are fantastic, because I know how to get the best deals out of these Vishanti.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kurzon posted:

At the end of the story he expends the Panacea to save his butler instead of replicating it to end all human disease.

What the gently caress Doctor Strange there must be like three dozen different ways you could have resurrected one dumb butler

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, The Oath isn't great. It makes Strange just come across like a huge d-bag.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

You just made me yearn for an Exiles special where they have to defeat that universe's Sorcerer Supreme, which is Donald Trump, by becoming his Apprentice...

:smugdon:
I have THE best contracts, so good, really top notch. I go into their realms, and you know, their realms are not the best realms to go into, you wouldn't walk into those realms at night, but I would, you know, because they respect me. They see me and say "Don, we don't send the best to your dimension, we know that, you deserve better and we're sorry about that we really are". But these contracts are fantastic, because I know how to get the best deals out of these Vishanti.

Magic is the only thing that could explain that hair.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well Strange is a huge d-bag. The Oath just makes him come across as kind-of dumb.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DarkCrawler posted:

What the gently caress Doctor Strange there must be like three dozen different ways you could have resurrected one dumb butler

Wong is not a "butler". :mad:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The best Strange story is the Deadgirl one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

Well Strange is a huge d-bag. The Oath just makes him come across as kind-of dumb.

Strange is a former d-bag. :colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I always thought P. Craig Russell would be really good on Dr. Strange.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I always thought P. Craig Russell would be really good on Dr. Strange.

He did do a Strange one-shot: What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen?

It's weird and trippy and doesn't really make a hell of a lot of sense but boy is it great to look at.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I've read some. Fantastic to look at but boring as all hell. Also Corto Maltese speaks but never ever opens his mouth.
I do agree a bit, some stories and collections are not that interesting, story wise (like Under The Sign of Capricorn or even the first part of The Ballad Of The Salt Sea).

I can only recommend spanish editions, since those are the ones I have (I think they were directly translated from the french editions), but if you can, look for The Celtics (Les Celtiques) and Corto Maltese in Siberia (Corto Maltese en Sibérie) I found those to be more action packed and with more vivid locations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selachian posted:

He did do a Strange one-shot: What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen?

It's weird and trippy and doesn't really make a hell of a lot of sense but boy is it great to look at.

That's basically a description of all P. Craig Russell's work and of all classic Doctor Strange stories.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I always liked that crazy Defenders series that came out around Fear Itself, it had this great look at Strange as just kind of an understandable dick who gets thrust into something that ends the universe. Some great characters in there and him scaring the poo poo out of Red She-Hulk with some random whisper was an entertaining little bit of what I like to see in Strange. Just a nigh-on all powerful dickhead who really wants to be a good guy and generally manages but man does his personal life suck.

Edit- Oh yeah you are right he does realize he is a lovely person and works to fix himself! \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

TGG fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 12, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TGG posted:

I always liked that crazy Defenders series that came out around Fear Itself, it had this great look at Strange as just kind of an understandable dick who gets thrust into something that ends the universe. Some great characters in there and him scaring the poo poo out of Red She-Hulk with some random whisper was an entertaining little bit of what I like to see in Strange. Just a nigh-on all powerful dickhead who really wants to be a good guy and generally manages but man does his personal life suck.

At the end of the book, his personal life sucks a bit less. :unsmith:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Here's Black Canary's lazy eye from Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #2

The art's been pretty bad so far, but this is the most blatant so far.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I actually dig the hell out of the art on BOP. Especially the super expressive/goofy faces.

Claire Roe's great. I might even prefer her to Rafael Albuquerque on regular Batgirl right now.
e: Those last few are probably Roge Antonio. He's credited with her on ish 2, but it doesn't say who did what.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 15, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Kirby/Lee and Steranko SHIELD collections are on sale.

The artwork is really great.

Also try spot why I posted this in the funny panels thread.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I love that one dude under the "BARON STRUCKER!" word balloon who can't figure out how to properly salute. There's always fuckin' one.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

Reminds me of that DozerFleet episode of the Fplus, where the gay super villan's diabolical plan involves licking someone and giving them AIDS.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I love that one dude under the "BARON STRUCKER!" word balloon who can't figure out how to properly salute. There's always fuckin' one.

"SHHH Helmutt, we are not supposed to be 100% nazis anymore"

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

All the dudes on the far right side are going lefty, too.

Three to the left from lefty there, dude is just phoning it in. "Yeah, hail whoever." One left from him and next level down, "Check out these guns!". Same level, go right and "Double hail! I'm so Hydra I poo poo... uhhh, two shits, yeah!" There's a bunch in the crowd that see they're on the Hydra-Cam and are waving to their moms or something... of course, this is the same megalomaniacal worldwide terrorist organization that hired this guy, so it's not like you really *expected* better.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

SynthOrange posted:

On sale where?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

On sale where?

https://www.comixology.com/S-H-I-E-...C9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

https://www.comixology.com/S-H-I-E-...0ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.comixology.com/S-H-I-E-...WNzTGlzdDEzMDM3

Still shows up as $4 for me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You got caught in my edit. I was saying the sale ended because it was off the front page, but then looked them up individually.

It's probably expiring immanently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shillary posted:

Reminds me of that DozerFleet episode of the Fplus, where the gay super villan's diabolical plan involves licking someone and giving them AIDS.

In the Arena of poo poo Jedit Will Never Watch, anime stirred. A new challenger had arrived.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batwoman by Rafael Albuquerque for DC's Orlando benefit comic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

drat that's classy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good boy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Get a load of that dog!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Get a load of that dog!

Don't read the issue :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Can't really blame him on that last point, I gave up on that show early in season one.