Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

If anyone needs a good topic to write about maybe Disney Princess actors in Disney World? I'm not too good at research and writing to make that interesting but I think there's some ground there to tap

Fun fact: during at least the mid-2000s the majority of actresses who did the Princess face characters were grad students, so you'd have Cinderella studying law books in full costume in the Utilidors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Pick posted:

Home on the Range, which is in no way related to this discussion, has this exchange:

Yeah, but in context Buck is a horse and his partner is a human.

Pick posted:

Honestly I prefer the idea of beast-time as "lost" time, even if it means an age gap. Because yeah it's loving weird that they'd take an 11-year-old and be like "find true love, dumbass" because there are definitely guaranteed beast-years in there, which condemn the servants to be dancing forks and stuff for a while also. Except their time has to be "lost" time because are we presuming Chip was conceived as a cup? Has he never even BEEN a boy? When the end of the movie rolls around, has he lost his entire childhood to that? He'll be ten loving years old and he's never even taken a dump! It's going to be traumatizing!

Well, to add to the age thing, a fairly large castle and all its staff and owners are suddenly completely forgotten so everything around it delapidates and no one knows it's there. That usually takes longer than a decade to go down

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 12, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If we really want to get into the physics of phantasyland, I assume that the clock only runs when the Beast actually has guests, which at least has the benefit of making the fairy less of a complete rear end in a top hat.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also sort of begs the question how the food in "Be Our Guest" is still safe to eat after all that time the castle took to dilapidate.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shadow Hog posted:

Also sort of begs the question how the food in "Be Our Guest" is still safe to eat after all that time the castle took to dilapidate.

Hopefully the livestock didn't transform into piggybanks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brainiac Five posted:

If we really want to get into the physics of phantasyland, I assume that the clock only runs when the Beast actually has guests, which at least has the benefit of making the fairy less of a complete rear end in a top hat.

That is actually a really cool theory and would also explain how the castle can be forgotten so easily.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Pick posted:

I think there was a definite upward trend. By the end, I'd say it was unusual for the sequels to be outright bad versus boring and unnecessary. And the animation was MUCH better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osdok9HxV44

Weren't those coming out right about the time Disney was trying to improve its little half assed movies with the first release of the Tinkerbell franchise?

Pick posted:

And Ariel? Yikes.

(This one is just showing off her hair as wet, but to be honest I find this hilarious so in it goes!)

Holy poo poo, she looks like a carp

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 13, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

"Happy Heart" used to be code for "retarded person."

I always liked the urban legend that the Tinkerbell that flew down from Cinderalla's castle at the Magic Kingdom was actually a tiny man in drag because womens' weight fluctuated too much from their menstrual cycle to reliably stay at the weight the zipline was calibrated for.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Macaluso posted:

Elsa looks loving terrible every time and they've never made any effort to fix this. I don't understand why they can't get her look right. Cosplayers have no problem???

Ana always looks accurate

Lots of the Disney princesses look like poo poo in the real world while cosplayers tend to pull it off. But you have to remember, Disney has a whole big fuckton of rules and poo poo you gotta meet in order to be one, not some person with spare time and a hobby to be passionate with

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I always liked the urban legend that the Tinkerbell that flew down from Cinderalla's castle at the Magic Kingdom was actually a tiny man in drag because womens' weight fluctuated too much from their menstrual cycle to reliably stay at the weight the zipline was calibrated for.

I've heard it as it being a man both because they needed a taller person to be better visible and that the harness itself somehow was more painful for women than it was for men. I heard these as a young child and accepted them, never bothering to question it until you just brought it back into my memory, because neither of those explanations make any sense.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

dirksteadfast posted:

I've heard it as it being a man both because they needed a taller person to be better visible and that the harness itself somehow was more painful for women than it was for men. I heard these as a young child and accepted them, never bothering to question it until you just brought it back into my memory, because neither of those explanations make any sense.

They tell you the qualifications for the position if you shell out a hundred and fifty bucks for the backstage tour- 120 pounds or less, can do 1000 pushups on request. Who knows if that's true, but it's what they tell you, and they do tell you about their experiments with infrasonic mind control.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sometimes I wish the mad scientist conspiracy version of Disney was the real one.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

dirksteadfast posted:

That's why it's such a great urban legend! It's the kind of thing you hear as a kid or in passing and it's juuust authoritative enough to accept without question but if you sit there and actually think about it you realize wait, no, that makes no sense.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sometimes I wish the mad scientist conspiracy version of Disney was the real one.

Snopes has an entire section of their website dedicated to Disney theme park urban legends and they're all great.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

That part actually is true, in the America pavilion they play a frequency that's supposed to make you tear up during the closing moments of the movie when the American flag pops up. They learned only about a third of the people respond to it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SocketWrench posted:

Lots of the Disney princesses look like poo poo in the real world while cosplayers tend to pull it off. But you have to remember, Disney has a whole big fuckton of rules and poo poo you gotta meet in order to be one, not some person with spare time and a hobby to be passionate with

You'd then think their number one rule world be "Make Elsa not look terrible" yet here we are

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Macaluso posted:

You'd then think their number one rule world be "Make Elsa not look terrible" yet here we are

You'd think they'd also make Vader not come off as a shitpile pussy whenever he interacted with people, but yeah....

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SocketWrench posted:

You'd think they'd also make Vader not come off as a shitpile pussy whenever he interacted with people, but yeah....
Just make him always act like this:

That'd solve everything.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

#MakeReyDisneyPrincess

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sinners Sandwich posted:

#MakeReyDisneyPrincess

That'd ruin the surprise of whether she's Luke's kid (and thus Leia's niece) or not. Is Leia a disney princess yet?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Well her parents are dead...

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Red Bones posted:

That'd ruin the surprise of whether she's Luke's kid (and thus Leia's niece) or not. Is Leia a disney princess yet?

I had a friend's kid ask me what my favorite Disney princess was one day when I told her I liked her shirt (it was the little mermaid, she's four) and I told her princess Leia and she looked at me like I was crazy. Her parents had a good laugh though.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I used to work with Tinkerbell before she flew down from the castle in Magic Kingdom. I can confirm that she is in fact a girl and strong as hell. She would do at least 30 - 50 pull ups every night before her flight and could probably kick everyone's rear end twice over. The 1000 push-up requirement is absolutely true and every so often Tink does a military style obstacle course to make sure she can still meet the requirements to fly.

Anyways, a new trailer for Moana just got released!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L14tkEbOMzY

So hyped for this!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Why does that role require such specific strength? I mean, obviously I would expect you to be small but in shape to fly down the zip line, but that seems excessive...unless there's more to the role than I know.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Anya posted:

Why does that role require such specific strength? I mean, obviously I would expect you to be small but in shape to fly down the zip line, but that seems excessive...unless there's more to the role than I know.

There's more to it than her just flying down a zipline. She has to hold the like, tinkerbell flying pose, with the one leg extended. She has to constantly be waving her wand the entire time, because she's gonna be in view almost the entire time she's on the zipline. She has to wear that ridiculous lightup outfit, which already can't be too light on its own, but then the wings are also probably heavy and the wand might not be super light either. All while holding that pose and swinging the wand around.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And I assume both make it look effortless and also be smiling and charismatic the entire time, and you try lifting your own body weight from an awkward position without contorting your face like a weirdo

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
The light up costume with the battery packs and all the safety gear combined is about 25 lbs. Plus Tink has to get to the top of Cinderella's Castle while carrying all that stuff, combined with everything else you guys said. She had a set routine of moves to do while flying too. The pull ups she just did for fun LOL.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

https://youtu.be/fL_VHoTnylU?t=1m49s

This is what it looks like fyi

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Red Bones posted:

I recall reading that Disney is going to ease up on calling their female characters princesses now. Even Once Upon A Time is apparently moving on to other literatures and American folktales.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

How will Buzzfeed survive then?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How will Buzzfeed survive then?

With neverending videos of [Nationality] people try [Ethnic food] for the first time.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I love Disney Princess movies and really enjoyed Anastasia, is "Moana" more Lilo and Stitch or more Aladin?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Makes sense to me. I've only ever caught that part of Wishes a couple times, so I've not ever gotten a good look at Tink.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

personable decorum posted:

I love Disney Princess movies and really enjoyed Anastasia, is "Moana" more Lilo and Stitch or more Aladin?

Kinda getting a slight Hercules vibe from it (same directors as Herc and Aladdin)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

personable decorum posted:

Seems like Brave if anything.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

http://io9.gizmodo.com/disney-does-brownface-in-moana-costume-misfire-1786770402

If you are offended by this, then you are probably already offended by a thousand other things Disney does.

But really Disney, how did you not see how dumb this is?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kubrick posted:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/disney-does-brownface-in-moana-costume-misfire-1786770402

If you are offended by this, then you are probably already offended by a thousand other things Disney does.

But really Disney, how did you not see how dumb this is?

Gonna be a lot of white kids getting their asses kicked.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That seems like a total no-win situation. If you don't offer the costumes for characters of color, but you only do for white characters, then that's weird and racist. And you can't race-gate purchases, that would be insane ( not to mention impossible and illegal ). And you cannot stop offering costumes on account of the existence of people of color, that would also essentially be blaming people of color for a decision that they had no control over. And I really doubt that that's what most members of the community would support anyway. I know that they are saying that hypothetically you could have an overlay instead ( though I am not sure how practical that actually is, I don't know if it could be sufficiently hard-wearing), but as the article mentions, most of the concerns would be just as valid in that situation as well. They are right, a culture is not a costume, but in this case, the costume is a costume of a character for whom cultural identifiers are absolutely intrinsic to the design. And there may very well be young people from that culture who are really excited by the idea to finally be able to dress as someone with a shared heritage. Yeah, no way to win really.

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 18, 2016

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Pick posted:

That seems like a total no-win situation. If you don't offer the costumes for characters of color, but you only do for white characters, then that's weird and racist. And you can't race-gate purchases, that would be insane ( not to mention impossible and illegal ). And you cannot stop offering costumes on account of the existence of people of color, that would also essentially be blaming people of color for a decision that they had no control over. And I really doubt that that's what most members of the community would support anyway. I know that they are saying that hypothetically you could have an overlay instead ( though I am not sure how practical that actually is, I don't know if it could be sufficiently hard-wearing), but as the article mentions, most of the concerns would be just as valid in that situation as well. They are right, a culture is not a costume, but in this case, the costume is a costume of a character for whom cultural identifiers are absolutely intrinsic to the design. And there may very well be young people from that culture who are really excited by the idea to finally be able to dress as someone with a shared heritage. Yeah, no way to win really.

There might be a safe middle ground between "no costume at all" and "wear some Polynesian skin."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That being what? That being where? In what way are there concerns not true even if it is a tattoo overlay, which again might not even be practical with safe available materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kubrick posted:

There might be a safe middle ground between "no costume at all" and "wear some Polynesian skin."

Yeah, now you're selling a grass skirt to kids.

• Locked thread