Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The newest Dollop had the sharpest, most startling twist in any Dollop I've listened to yet. And not in a way I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Midnight Voyager posted:

The newest Dollop had the sharpest, most startling twist in any Dollop I've listened to yet. And not in a way I expected.

dude might be the most outright looney tunes subject matter they've covered so far

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm still listening but wow you are not kidding.

"And dinner is served" was an amazing Gary line.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Like he foreshadows something the whole first part of the episode and the twist hits and it's... something completely different! It's like one of those mysteries where they directly foreshadow a bunch of red herrings only to bring out something no attention was paid to in the end and you could never even attempt to guess the solution.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I think the Jack Parsons episode had the flat out craziest twist right at the very end.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I think the Jack Parsons episode had the flat out craziest twist right at the very end.

Jack Parsons was wild from beginning to end, that thing just kept twisting and twisting until the coup de grace. This one's more like a T-bone in the middle.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
The jack parsons one was great because for the first 10 or 15 minutes I was convinced the guy must be L Ron Hubbard and changes his name. Then of course L Ron Hubbard goes ahead and shows up later in the story anyways. I hope they do an episode on scientology at some point but maybe they're afraid of having to flee to permanent exile in Australia if they get sued out of all their patreon money.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I don't know if the Dan Burros episode had the biggest twist, but it was the episode that sold me on the show to begin with so I have a huge soft spot for it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The woman did have some serious sag bags

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

One of my favorite twist episodes is the Dale. That one takes a right turn out of nowhere once they start talking about the woman who supposedly invented it.

apokaladle posted:

I don't know if the Dan Burros episode had the biggest twist, but it was the episode that sold me on the show to begin with so I have a huge soft spot for it.
Is that the one with the neo-Nazi who turns out to be Jewish?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Has anyone here actually watched Tickled? I watched the trailer again today and man I want to watch it but I also kind of want to wait for the Dollop commentary track for it.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Cael posted:

Has anyone here actually watched Tickled? I watched the trailer again today and man I want to watch it but I also kind of want to wait for the Dollop commentary track for it.

I have it's a really good movie. Worth a watch if you are able to see it.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Today's second Dollop was a motherfucker of a show. When do the live ones go up? Regular schedule?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GlenMR posted:

Today's second Dollop was a motherfucker of a show. When do the live ones go up? Regular schedule?

Without giving away any of the content can you tell us what the title of the show was?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm excited

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/772057025064738817

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Without giving away any of the content can you tell us what the title of the show was?

Alas, I cannot, because I don't know it. But it was about Macquarie Island.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GlenMR posted:

Alas, I cannot, because I don't know it. But it was about Macquarie Island.

Thanks!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Getting a poster signed after the show tonight found out that the story I researched was the first of the two shows last night. Super keen to hear it!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Dollop Down Under :)

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Getting a poster signed after the show tonight found out that the story I researched was the first of the two shows last night. Super keen to hear it!

That one took one hell of a turn man. I had no idea that guy even existed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GlenMR posted:

That one took one hell of a turn man. I had no idea that guy even existed.

It's a crazy story for sure. I hadn't heard of him either but stumbled across him after I searched real Crocodile Dundee on a hunch and it was just :allbuttons:

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

All around incredible ep but I don't know if I've ever laughed harder at the podcast then when they mention the Australian name for the telephone game is chinese whispers

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ceramics posted:

All around incredible ep but I don't know if I've ever laughed harder at the podcast then when they mention the Australian name for the telephone game is chinese whispers

Just finished this episode yesterday, and I loved the way Wil Anderson brought it out. That guy is always a great guest. :allears:

Although sometimes a great guest doesn't say much at all. Ronny Chieng said very little during his episode (it was about sewage in 19th-century New York, I believe), but he had the single funniest line of the whole episode. (For people in basement apartments, during high tide or heavy rains, raw sewage would leak in through the walls of the apartment. "Worst poltergeist ever.")

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 8, 2016

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Ceramics posted:

Yeah, that hit me super hard. It wasn't even the kind of racist that I was expecting!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I live near Tufts, and after listening to the Roger Babson episode, I had to see for myself:

It's true. All of it. I must have passed by this dozens of times and never actually read it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lord Hydronium posted:

I live near Tufts, and after listening to the Roger Babson episode, I had to see for myself:

It's true. All of it. I must have passed by this dozens of times and never actually read it.

Imagine reading this without knowing who he was. Semi-insulator, airplane accidents wait what?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Interesting that no one is talking about the Sodder children episode. A lot of weird stuff in there that is not resolved. I've listened to only a handful of Dollop episodes but really enjoyed this one. Are there any other episodes similar?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

If by similar you mean ones with an unresolved mystery, The Toxic Woman of Riverside is a good one.

e: Kentucky Meat Shower as well. Toxic Woman is closer in tone to the Sodder children though, with lots of weird unexplained behavior by people involved.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 10, 2016

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Caught the final down under show tonight, I'll never reveal where the skull is

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The one about the australian survivalist was a total mindfuck. I went like what WHAT? every five minutes.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

If by similar you mean ones with an unresolved mystery, The Toxic Woman of Riverside is a good one.

e: Kentucky Meat Shower as well. Toxic Woman is closer in tone to the Sodder children though, with lots of weird unexplained behavior by people involved.

Thanks for the recs. I listened to Toxic Woman and while it was pretty good, by the end of the episode it seemed pretty clear what had happened. There were still some things from the Sodder children episode that were still really weird and unexplained, though. For example, who burnt the house down and why. A bunch of stuff pointed to it being arson and it being caused by the dude's anti-Mussolini stance but it being in West Virginia and taking place after Mussolini had been removed from power and killed was weird. I mean I guess we didn't know what the guy's past in Italy was all about, but it just seems crazy for that poo poo to follow him all that way and for that long (he came to the US in 1908). Along with that, enough people in town were apparently pro-Mussolini enough that they conspired to burn his house down which is also bonkers. And then the thing about the fire not being hot enough to cremate the bodies, which was said by more than one expert who examined the case. Anyway, interesting stuff nonetheless!

I also really liked Tony and the Shotgun. I'm from Indianapolis and had read about this one before but there were tons of details I didn't know.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
In a really strange way, tony and the shotgun is probably one of the few truly 'feel good' stories to come out of the podcast.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Al-Saqr posted:

In a really strange way, tony and the shotgun is probably one of the few truly 'feel good' stories to come out of the podcast.

They did a series of eps about the Los Angeles PD early on, and one of those (#2: James Davis Years)had a genuinely decent guy in conflict with some real scumbags, with a bonkers coda to the whole story for a perfect finish.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Dr.Radical posted:

And then the thing about the fire not being hot enough to cremate the bodies, which was said by more than one expert who examined the case.

What's really weird to me is how Dave just sort of gives up and says "yeah, it turns out it was hot enough to cremate them after all." I get that he doesn't actually have a lead to follow up on, but that doesn't mean that the experts were wrong. I actually asked a friend who's a mortician and listens to the show, and 45 minutes in house fire temperatures is nowhere near enough - you'd absolutely have something left over that was recognizably human remains. No one's ever going to get to the bottom of this at this point, though, so all we have left are questions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PantsOptional posted:

What's really weird to me is how Dave just sort of gives up and says "yeah, it turns out it was hot enough to cremate them after all." I get that he doesn't actually have a lead to follow up on, but that doesn't mean that the experts were wrong. I actually asked a friend who's a mortician and listens to the show, and 45 minutes in house fire temperatures is nowhere near enough - you'd absolutely have something left over that was recognizably human remains. No one's ever going to get to the bottom of this at this point, though, so all we have left are questions.

Yeah, that was the most surprising thing about the whole episode -- I was not expecting Dave to say "guess they died in the fire after all".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Yeah, that was the most surprising thing about the whole episode -- I was not expecting Dave to say "guess they died in the fire after all".

This is the sort of result that kills a lot of the "strange events from history" podcasts for me. There are a couple of true crime podcasts like Thinking Sideways that often just have the hosts shrug and say "guess it was the most obvious thing", which totally kills all enthusiasm for the story.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

prefect posted:

And what was weird about it was how Gareth said "But what about coroner who told the wife that the fire wasn't hot enough for the bodies to be cremated?" and Dave's response was something like "Oh come on! Some coroner just said that to her. Doesn't mean anything!"

One detail he didn't mention for some reason but was mentioned in the Wikipedia page (with citation) was how eventually the FBI did investigate but all the leads were cold and they just gave up after a little bit. It doesn't seem like a big thing but in the context of the story, there was an underlying idea that the case was stonewalled at every turn, making it impossible to make any headway.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The missing Sodder kids reminds me a lot of other "true crime" stories I've heard from grieving parents where they construct elaborate conspiracies involving police/government agencies/organized crime/the Freemasons because they can't deal with the fact that their kids died. Granted those were usually 1980s satanic panic/child ritual abuse cases but this hit all the same notes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

The missing Sodder kids reminds me a lot of other "true crime" stories I've heard from grieving parents where they construct elaborate conspiracies involving police/government agencies/organized crime/the Freemasons because they can't deal with the fact that their kids died. Granted those were usually 1980s satanic panic/child ritual abuse cases but this hit all the same notes.

<:mad:> Johnny Gosch totally got tangled up in a government child sex abuse ring that catered to the richest and most powerful men in the world, and was sold as a sex slave to Bohemian Grove Illuminati Satanism parties. He escaped and now is fighting rings of pedophiles as an underground vigilante, and I know this because his mom told us. And don't you go dismissing it, mister!

I wonder if the Dollop book is gonna have any content aside from the stuff covered in podcasts, or if it's just gonna be a greatest hits. I got burned last time I bought a book off a podcast and it turned out to be everything that Greg Proops had been saying for the past year, but with less content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'll grab the book out of support for the podcast, but I am curious how it will get humor across in the stories. I assume they are going for a funny tone given the cover and the fact that Fosdike is illustrating it.