Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The man on the street segment is silly but it's worth it for the wonderful dad at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The same couldn't be said of most of the MCU themes. Try listening to these without looking at the graphics and try to identify where they came from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHiQSpaYSLM

The First Avenger stuff is pretty recognizable, but other than that they tend to blend together, though I did catch the main themes from The Avengers and Agents of SHIELD (which I was surprised to find being used as part of the "MCU," so I was trying to figure out what movie would have used it until I looked at the graphics). The Ant-Man stuff was relatively distinctive, but I couldn't place where it came from until I looked.

The Thors really do not stand out, which I guess fits in its own way.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Another thing, is that every move I find that has memorable music, I've seen atleast a dozen times. I can't imagine myself watching any Marvel movie more than once. I did watch BvS three times (theatrical, ultimate, and then theatrical again to compare), and I find that easy to remember, but it was just a few months ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie posted:

This conversation reminds me of the Whitest Kids U Know skit about John Williams coming up with music and just humming to himself all day.

I remember hearing a long time ago about how the Superman theme seems to go "Su-per-MAN!" with the three main notes of that theme and ever since it's hard to hear another Williams theme and not try to do the same thing (like Bill Murray singing Star Wars). It leads to things like "Indianaaaaa loving Jones, Indi-ANNAAAA loving Jones. Is. Here!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I listen to only movie scores, so this whole conversation drives me nuts. I know I'm a huge outliner here and this is the poo poo I consume, so me liking the Ant-Man score is like the equivalent of me saying that Stitches song is good.

And the thing is, I COULD hum every MCU theme except for Thor 2 off the top of my head. Yes, even The Incredible Hulk. Which I listen too sometimes. But even if I could, I wouldn't prove anything outside of my taste in things is quite limited. So it's incredibly hard for me to defend.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I bet if we played you a few themes you'd probably be able to pick which movies they came from. You'd probably be able to pick most of them even if we hummed them to you.

The same couldn't be said of most of the MCU themes. Try listening to these without looking at the graphics and try to identify where they came from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHiQSpaYSLM

For what it's worth, this wasn't the case for me. The consistent theme of the identifiable ones for me was repetition. Was the same theme used throughout a ton of movies(bond) or used in a significant way as a character refrain or something every time they appear? Or have I watched the film a ridiculous number of times? Then I recognize it. Otherwise no.

Similarly, I also don't recognize most Marvel themes. The exception is the main avengers theme, which is also present in Guardians. The rest I wouldn't be able to pick out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never registered Batman's BvS leomotif despite seeing it a few times until they used it in Suicide Squad. That was done pretty well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lobok posted:

I remember hearing a long time ago about how the Superman theme seems to go "Su-per-MAN!" with the three main notes of that theme and ever since it's hard to hear another Williams theme and not try to do the same thing (like Bill Murray singing Star Wars). It leads to things like "Indianaaaaa loving Jones, Indi-ANNAAAA loving Jones. Is. Here!"

Reminds me of this old internet video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=428IyxSfsls

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Haha, forgot about that one. Does all this count as a negative or positive of making hummable themes?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

I never registered Batman's BvS leomotif despite seeing it a few times until they used it in Suicide Squad. That was done pretty well.

Man of Steel's Superman Theme is pretty iconic I think. I would say The Dark Knight might be the most overused soundtrack of all time on everything because my god was it everywhere. Fan films, temp scores for modern films (Wolverine Origins used it in the workprint), videos that have nothing to do with Batman. Everyone and their mother loved that score.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In terms of "hummable songs", the new Star Trek films definitely win out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1FZEUbZJE

The way they change it up for each iteration is neat too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlHyt_I1rFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5hBQDepXOE

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
The Titus-300 side-by-side comparisons are killing me. I guess Snyder's lucky no one ever saw Titus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Squinty posted:

The Titus-300 side-by-side comparisons are killing me. I guess Snyder's lucky no one ever saw Titus.

Ooh, someone did. If you go out and buy 300, there's a sticker that says "Yo, the composer of this film straight up stole Titus' score, and we didn't know that so don't sue US, sue the composer. "

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

CelticPredator posted:

I would say The Dark Knight might be the most overused soundtrack of all time on everything because my god was it everywhere. Fan films, temp scores for modern films (Wolverine Origins used it in the workprint), videos that have nothing to do with Batman. Everyone and their mother loved that score.

I feel this way about the score from Inception. I've heard "Time" used in several billion other things since that movie.

The Nolan Batman movies have a number of pretty great score moments. The Joker theme deserves the credit it gets; it's so goddamn effective.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hans Zimmer is someone who when he nails it, it's astounding. And when he doesn't, it's just so bland.

His Chappie score is underrated as gently caress.

Ya'll should get on that.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Ooh, someone did. If you go out and buy 300, there's a sticker that says "Yo, the composer of this film straight up stole Titus' score, and we didn't know that so don't sue US, sue the composer. "

Since Tyler Bates, the composer for 300, isn't blacklisted and is still getting tons of high-profile jobs, I have to assume that's total BS.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've seen the label with my own eyes. Maybe they didn't say anything about sueing anyone, but they were trying to pass off the blame through ignorance.

edit:

quote:

A number of the music cues for the score of "300" were, without our knowledge or participation, derived from music composed by Academy Award winning composer Elliot Goldenthal for the motion picture "Titus." Warner Bros. Pictures has great respect for Elliot, our longtime collaborator, and is pleased to have amicably resolved this matter."[4]

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 12, 2016

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I've seen the label with my own eyes. Maybe they didn't say anything about sueing anyone, but they were trying to pass off the blame through ignorance.

I'm not saying you're lying about the label, I'm saying I think WB is lying when they say they had no idea the score was stolen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah. Well, that's most likely quite true.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That reminds me of when some Russian composer claimed that the Metal Gear Solid theme song ripped off one of his scores. They're really similar, but everyone claimed it was a super coincidence.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

That reminds me of when some Russian composer claimed that the Metal Gear Solid theme song ripped off one of his scores. They're really similar, but everyone claimed it was a super coincidence.

they did stop using it in any future metal gear games once that came to light so i dunno who 'everyone' is in this case

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Musical plagiarism in the Japanese video game industry is absolutely rife from what I hear.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

They stopped using the song in games because of it tho

e: drat...replied just on time

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The composer and Kojima. There's an interview with Kojima where someone brings this up to him and it came as a total surprise. He accepted the similarities but claimed no one intended any plagiarism. They stopped using the song to prevent any legal troubles. I'd post the interview but I'm on my phone.

Edit: it's not a case of that one dude clearly plagiarizing music for the DBZ games.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Watched EFaP, I don't see the part where he said you NEEDED to have a hummable score, just that it was implied as a symptom of the MCU not having much in the way of strong original melody lines that work with the rest of the film to tell the story, rather than as weak background music.

Temp Music encourages that because it's not originally paced to match the cut, so often it's toned down to let the rest of the film tell the story.

Because Marvel likely have a very specific machine-like process by now, it's almost a sure bet that composers are always introduced to the picture way too late to really influence the cut in a way that allows them to stray far from the temp music. Like they said in the round table interview, if they pull the music and start from scratch the cut is possibly broken now, given that cuts and buildup are likely timed to beats of the temp music.

edit: It's long since I watched it but I remember really liking Kill Bill 2's score, it was like Tarantino's first time with a score rather than dropping in existing tracks, and he really leveraged it. It wasn't particularly hummable but by the same token it properly flowed with everything on screen.

Tarantino has always had a really good ear for dropping in memorable music for emotional response though, it's as much a part of the storytelling as anything else the way it sometimes goes full blast to the exclusion of any foley.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 12, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That Captain America museum scene was way better, holy poo poo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Captain America scene is weird because it's portrayed as something that Marvel frequently does (talks over their score) but, for the life of me, I can't think of any other examples.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
BvS Wonder Woman's theme is the only recent one I could remember off the top of my head. I can't even remember most of the music from Deadpool, my favorite movie of the year. The only one I do remember is the opening song, Angel of the Morning, and only because I had to train myself not to transpose it with Everybody Hurts by REM, and I don't know why my brain continues to insist on doing this.

And yeah, plagiarism in japan is quite bad. Kenji Yamamoto is the most recognizable one because he got away with it for so long, right up until he ripped from Avatar and Terminator Salvation.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've been humming the Deadpool theme all day, actually.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I made it my ringtone

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

I've been humming the Deadpool theme all day, actually.

That's the rap right?

Name is dead pool and I'm in your face! I'm from earth I am not from space!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TV chat: Here's your new Ghost Rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ1PeVAGkdM

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Ahahaha.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

Yikes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Honestly I expect to see a "da mf share zone" watermark on that pic. Woof.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

greatn posted:

That's the rap right?

Name is dead pool and I'm in your face! I'm from earth I am not from space!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wD5tamhwXo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
holy poo poo Ghost Rider is on that turd now? Are they gonna be lame and make him an Inhuman?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MCU has magic and poo poo now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CelticPredator posted:

The MCU has magic and poo poo now.

Its always had magic, like a a metal suit somehow preventing a human being from turning into jelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

That looks loving awful.

• Locked thread