Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

danbanana posted:

I haven't been to WLV for this in a few years and they've apparently made it better by opening their backyard to people to drink. But I love that the "Chicago pour" exists even for events like this:

http://www.wlvliquors.com/calendar

Basically getting charged $10 for a 2 oz pour!

For whatever reason they decided to change it from being ticketed in advance last year to selling tickets day of this year. So I'm sure that line will be a regular Chicago-style poo poo show.

The Zwanze event at Side Project is similar to the Jolly Pumpkin one in terms of being a full on beer fest with a pretty nice brewery lineup (although JP's might be better because drat). At $75 a ticket the first batch of tickets they put online sold out in two minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

air- posted:

Was talking with Sirotan and... holy poo poo at Jolly Pumpkin's event, it's a full on beer festival with a crazy lineup: https://www.universe.com/events/jolly-pumpkin-artisan-ales-zwanze-day-2016-tickets-G915ZH

I like beer more than I like money, so of course I'm going to spend $125/$100 for the JP Zwanze Event. I'm good friends with the Shelton distributor who has been pushing to bring Zwanze to Michigan, and he's actually losing money on all the kegs he's providing for it. It's really hard to complain when you know all the profit is going to charity.

Having said that, I screwed the pooch by never becoming a JP Mug Club member - the benefits were never any good, but apparently they sent out an e-mail giving members early access to tickets.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I like beer more than I like money, so of course I'm going to spend $125/$100 for the JP Zwanze Event. I'm good friends with the Shelton distributor who has been pushing to bring Zwanze to Michigan, and he's actually losing money on all the kegs he's providing for it. It's really hard to complain when you know all the profit is going to charity.

Having said that, I screwed the pooch by never becoming a JP Mug Club member - the benefits were never any good, but apparently they sent out an e-mail giving members early access to tickets.

Nope, because I'm a JP lifetime mug clubber and it's only if you're in the Null mug club that you get to order the tickets a day ahead of time. I'm kinda mad about it tbqh, and am trying to decide if I'm going to go over to Null tonight to buy one because I really don't want to miss out on the tickets. It's $100. :|

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

mmartinx posted:

Yeah I couldn't do it for $100. I'm already horrified by the amount of $ I've spent at Trillium in the past year since they opened in Canton. I don't even want to look it up on my yearly statement.

This has been my problem with Tired Hands being so close. I'm pretty sure I've given them more than a whole paycheck by the end of the year.

Also, picked up some Double Watermelon Milkshake and jesus it's good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jesus, the zwanze day I'm heading to in the UK is like 25 of your American dollars including pours.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Zwanse day in Tampa/St.Pete is at Green Bench of all places and only had 200 tickets available at some dollar amount I didn't give a poo poo about since there's no loving way I would have gotten tickets at only 200 people.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So I was scrolling through untappd and misread the oktoberfest that Intrinsic brewing does.. Crucktoberfest...

Anyway I opened a Tired Hands/18th Street The Gatherer last night, aka the best worst Idea I've had in a while. So much honey and thick syrup texture... freaking awesome stout and of course it's 11% and I drank a tallboy can alone :yayclod:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Last night I went to a Pipeworks party at thier brewery. Then a few guys and I walked past some pesky barriers and hung out at the Off Color brewery. Today was a rough day at work.

OMG
Jul 14, 2007
Went to CANvitational today, tasted way too much stuff. We had early access tickets to get in 1 hour early, and somehow a dude managed to drink so much that he threw up 40 minutes after it opened. To quote the guy; "Don't sit there, I vomited." Or maybe he was already drunk when he got there.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Jesus, you guys have to pay just for the honour of being able to buy beer? At Zwanze day in Amsterdam you can just walk in, and if you want you can send them a mail in advance to ensure you get a pour.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh boy, ended up with some Hop Drop 'n Roll today. Should be fun to get to that soon.

I'm ready to try and salad it up for the next week to balance out all the damage I'm going to do with Charleston Beer Week events.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Entropist posted:

Jesus, you guys have to pay just for the honour of being able to buy beer? At Zwanze day in Amsterdam you can just walk in, and if you want you can send them a mail in advance to ensure you get a pour.

I'm an American and i find it completely ridiculous too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Entropist posted:

:capitalism:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Not everywhere is a ticketed event. Monk's is pay as you go. They do usually have a small line though just because it's 3 hours from opening to when they pour Zwanze and table/bar space is at a premium. But for the past few years if you didn't care about hanging out you could just show up right before the toast and get a pour.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I guess the UP fall beer fest was yesterday and it was pretty good. I haven't been paying as close attention to tapes over the past year as I was before, instead trying to drink away my current stash rather than being tempted to buy other things. But it was fun, it rained most of the time but who cares? That's what boots and rain coats are for!

Best things I tried were Perrin No Rules (like drinking a German chocolate cake, the 5oz I got was hard to finish but in a good way) and Jolly Pumpkin Rojzilla. I don't even know what to say about that one except that now I'm sad that we don't get their limited/special stuff here. Also I'm proud to say that thanks to my advanced strategies I only got "pretty drunk" rather than "absolutely hammered" like last year. I ain't even hung over!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Hot take of the day: Tumbler is better than 75% of the best local brewery's porters.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
^ how many porters does your average local brewery make?

funkybottoms posted:

mmm, amarillo, my... not favorite hop... i'm sure i'll drink some this weekend, though, as i'm going to their taproom manager's bachelor party weekend at a cabin in WV. i have a feeling that looking at kill shots on Monday or Tuesday will make me feel kind ill.

slightly more pilsnery than the previous incarnation, but still a crappy pilsner.

we had so many cans of Veil, Trillium, and Tree House (three three-foot coolers and two smaller ones) that people were leaving half-empty Hazes and DDH Fort Points all over the place and everyone took home at least a case of random amazing IPAs... and that's not counting the cases of bottles that were consumed. good lord.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

we had so many cans of Veil, Trillium, and Tree House (three three-foot coolers and two smaller ones) that people were leaving half-empty Hazes and DDH Fort Points all over the place and everyone took home at least a case of random amazing IPAs... and that's not counting the cases of bottles that were consumed. good lord.

Yooo send some of that Tree House tho

I did the tour at Jester King today and caught a spoiler on an upcoming release but hey... possibly light at the end of the tunnel on all this spending?

Also is anyone going to WTF this year? PM me... got a little tip for you.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 12, 2016

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I want to start by saying thanks to who ever I traded with for the 2013 Darkness. It was good and everyone else seemed to like it scoring solid 4 or higher on their untapped accounts.

2015 cinnamon & coffee abominable was amazing
Some Assembly Required by Bottle Logic was a hay/farm smeel/tasting mess
Modern Time makes to many version of Monster Park that are not necissary
World Wide Stout 2008 was surprisingly really really good.
Weldwerks - Coconut Medianoche is a must for all you coconut heads ( I didn't like it because I don't like coconut ) and their Vanilla Medianoche was okay. Give them some time and I think the'll get really good at doing these.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Indeed everyone should go to Hood River.

I was just touring around the whole area with my parents, visiting a coupla wineries as well, but the breweries even just within the town itself are great. Even Full Sail is AOK by sports-bar standards.

Pfriem is probably the best out there, though, I think, for a couple reasons. One, they do fine beer all down the line, from the pilsner to IPAs and their incredibly promising lambic program. Two, the food is excellent -- steak, sausages, schnitzel, aiee! You will eat too much and not regret it at all. It also helps that Mr. Pfriem personally attends pretty much every Pfriem event / tap takeover they hold across OR/WA, and his personal enthusiasm is a big reason why his team and his brewery are so beloved around here.

As for spending lots of money on beer, I did exactly that at Brews for New Avenues a couple weeks ago!

A VIP ticket for this event is, in my opinion, one of the best things you can do as a beer nut. It lets you drink all kinds of fancy stuff and gorge on oysters and cheese, as well as gives you the opportunity to spend money on auctions for even more fancy donated stuff. (All for local youth charity, and not that guy on Facebook, so no guilty consciences.)

There are both live and silent auctions, and I won a couple of the cheaper ones for things like NJ cans (I officially have a weakness for Spellbound now) and a coupla selections from Trillium and The Veil (freshly flown in Sleeper Street IPA canned that Tuesday!). There are many smaller silent auctions for things like these, or "ticker packs" from places like Estonia and Israel, so you don't have to be a total moneybags to enjoy the show. My intention was to really break out the wallet for one auction, and I did just that for the lot that contained Vietnamese coffee Speedway '14 and '16. That went for like $140, and I was happy with that, since I had been wanting to try these for ages and never had a chance until now.

By the time the live auctions came around, everyone was naturally a little drunk. Things kicked off with a full line of the cellar reserve stuff from Crooked Stave from '13 and '14, about 20 bottles that went for... $350. I was kicking myself for not bidding on that one, and then the next auction was for this -- which wound up having a lot more than was on that site, including '08 BCBS, some old Big John / Night Stalker, etc. Still annoyed about missing out on the Crooked Stave package, I wound up succumbing to impulse and bidding when it reached $1100, figuring that someone else would bid on it

...and no one else did. So that's why I had to run back to pick up three boxes of beer while I was in HR this weekend. Well, I'm helping the youth of Portland. (I'll try to hold a charity tasting locally for all this stuff sometime next year, since the idea of drinking it all to myself seems decadent somehow.)

Even so, the big bux in that auction were mostly reserved for single bottles of old gueuze, including $3400 for a bottle of '10 Cantillon Symboise and a bit less for a 3L bottle of Foufoune. Good stuff, I'm sure, but I think eve I won out cost performance-wise.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Totally made out like a bandit for all that at $1100. And I've got the dates for next year's event on my calendar already; gonna go all in on the events/VIP etc though I'm not so sure about doing any bidding :sg:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

By the time the live auctions came around, everyone was naturally a little drunk. Things kicked off with a full line of the cellar reserve stuff from Crooked Stave from '13 and '14, about 20 bottles that went for... $350. I was kicking myself for not bidding on that one, and then the next auction was for this -- which wound up having a lot more than was on that site, including '08 BCBS, some old Big John / Night Stalker, etc. Still annoyed about missing out on the Crooked Stave package, I wound up succumbing to impulse and bidding when it reached $1100, figuring that someone else would bid on it

...and no one else did. So that's why I had to run back to pick up three boxes of beer while I was in HR this weekend. Well, I'm helping the youth of Portland. (I'll try to hold a charity tasting locally for all this stuff sometime next year, since the idea of drinking it all to myself seems decadent somehow.)

You got everything on that list for $1100? That's a steal and a half, congrats. OG Rare, King Henry, OG Vanilla, and VR probably come out close to $1100 on their own. Apparently some people are enjoying the 2015 BW and I don't know anyone with any 2015 coffee left but I'd be curious to know if that turned itself into some sort of bizarre but drinkable sour beer.

krustster posted:

I haven't been paying as close attention to tapes over the past year as I was before

Also what does tapes mean in this context? Releases? I've seen it used on here before and am unfamiliar with the term.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 12, 2016

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Lyon posted:

Apparently some people are enjoying the 2015 BW and I don't know anyone with any 2015 coffee left but I'd be curious to know if that turned itself into some sort of bizarre but drinkable sour beer.

I believe Danbanana said 2015 BW was interesting but I will submit evidence that his palate is hot garbage and he is wrong.

My evidence is that I opened a bottle over the weekend and it smelled like a messed up Flanders and tasted like vinegar mixed with compost. It was a drain pour.

I still have a couple bottles of coffee in my fridge that I've had since release but am too afraid to open.

I also had a bottle of infected Bcbs a few weekends ago that was a drainpour. Though, a week later I had another from the same batch that was great.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

the 2015 Bourbon County coffee and barleywine bottles that i've opened were truly horrendous and some of the worst things i've tasted in the past few years. honestly can't believe that the "ultimate" list doesn't have 2013 barleywine

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

It's another one they tossed in there after the page was last updated. I'll post a pic someday.

Edit: Actually I remembered wrong! I don't have that! Boo-urns

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 12, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I bought a six-pack of new belgium abbey ale for $9.99 yesterday

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Lyon posted:

Also what does tapes mean in this context? Releases? I've seen it used on here before and am unfamiliar with the term.

Tapes are what you blast.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

As for spending lots of money on beer, I did exactly that at Brews for New Avenues a couple weeks ago!

i donated the KBS vertical. were they selling/pouring the de Garde beers made for BFNA? i've got one of each and really wish i could have afforded more.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

a worthy uhh posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054&userid=113139

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lyon posted:

Beer Thread 4: What does tapes mean

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

a worthy uhh posted:

lmao

You're better off not knowing, Lyon.

deadwing posted:

Beer Thread 4: "Tapes are what you blast."

ftfy

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

It's another one they tossed in there after the page was last updated. I'll post a pic someday.

Edit: Actually I remembered wrong! I don't have that! Boo-urns

That sucks because 2013 BCBW is as good as KH ever was.

And it wasn't just my palate that liked 2015. The whole crew I was with at least didn't hate it. I outright liked it: if you had told me it was a Flanders with raspberries, I wouldn't have questioned it.

Maybe I just know how to store beer better than you people!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Beer thread 4: take that tape and blast it up your rear end

Was that danbanana...??

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Entropist posted:

You've got a tiny percentage of the population of the US and probably get as much Cantillon as the entire US. What a surprise that it's harder to get here.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

I bought a six-pack of new belgium abbey ale for $9.99 yesterday

Is it good?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's very good and my standby when my only option is the tiny liquor store that's open on sunday night

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Phanatic posted:

You've got a tiny percentage of the population of the US and probably get as much Cantillon as the entire US. What a surprise that it's harder to get here.

We also don't have the absurd beer hype over releases in the EU.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spuckuk posted:

We also don't have the absurd beer hype over releases in the EU.

Every rare beer release gets bought out in seconds here in Sweden. I guess mashing f5 on a webpage is still a few miles away from queuing at 3am but we are getting there.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

Every rare beer release gets bought out in seconds here in Sweden. I guess mashing f5 on a webpage is still a few miles away from queuing at 3am but we are getting there.

Yikes, perhaps I spoke too soon. We have just a ridiculous number of breweries in the UK, so it never seems that pressing. The only beer I've not been able to get in the last five or so years is a full set of the Rainbow project beers. (still managed to find most of them).

Cantillon is a breeze to get, excepting really rare releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

sterster posted:

It kind of helps to know where you will be at but in general we have a lot of options

Papago brewing http://papagobrewing.com/ - Orange Blossom & Coconut Joe are the beers to try

I'm in Scottsdale - the Marriot up there. Only have one afternoon/evening so planning on trying to get to Arizona Wilderness, Papago, and then maybe Craft 64.

Thanks again for the recommendations!