Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If only you could talk way too fast to the constantly-respawning monsters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Protip: Shoot the child soldier until he dies.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The truth, Stalvern, is that you're here because you wanted to feel like something you're not: the humans.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mordja posted:

I think it had a fair deal of aliens, but they were usually thrown in alongside the NK so you could get in some great three-way battles. The devs might have tweaked their AI to be less obnoxious, too.

Speaking of Crysis, were any of the sequels worth playing?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

farcry 2 is actually fun, hope this helps!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vakal posted:

2 is fun - download the C mod though as it makes a few changes that should have been in the base game. 3 is boring as hell, does have some cool frogs though

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

I will give Far Cry 2 this: It really nailed the whole "war is poo poo, and you're a lovely person for enjoying it" message that a lot of other games half-heartedly strive for and fail to achieve. It's rare to see a game with such strong contempt for the player.

Obligatory mention of Spec Ops: The Line.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Vakal posted:

I haven't played 3 and 2 was just kind of lame. Instead of large, wide open maps with a handful of objectives to tackle it was pretty much a series of arenas connected by linear set/storypieces. Despite hyping up the improved Nanosuit you were actually much weaker than in the first game, especially since all of your best powers were locked behind an unambitious upgrade system, and the game encouraged cover-shooting . And of course there were no destructible environments.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

2 is fun - download the C mod though as it makes a few changes that should have been in the base game. 3 is boring as hell, does have some cool frogs though

Best thing from Crysis 3

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

It's too bad Far Cry 1 and Crysis 1 were shitted up by monsters of various flavors because each of those titles are half amazingly good and half interminably terrible.

I seem to recall Crysis Warhead had a lot less alien stuff than regular Crysis and it was a massive improvement.

This is probably Nostalgia GogglesTM talking but at the time I really liked it when the monsters were introduced in FC1. Until that point the game had been a pretty standard FPS with you running around tropical islands shooting up mercs. Then all of a sudden it becomes DOOM with all Pinkies all the time.

It was also the first time I think I saw where they shook up the 'everything VS the player' model by adding in a 3rd party that was hostile to the other 2. I remember in one level you load in outside a merc stronghold that is being assaulted by a menagerie of monsters and you have to run through the firefight and escape into the jungle while the other 2 factions tear each other apart.

I never actually finished it so maybe it got too sloggy towards the end but I have pretty univerally fond memories of at least the first 2/3 of the game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Crysis 3 is one of the few video games I played where I felt its entire existence was only because Crytek (possibly) had a contract with EA to make three games so they shat it out in 1.5 years. It's a glorified expansion pack to 2 that half-heartedly tries to have slightly bigger areas like 1 but the enemy numbers are so low that you can cloak and sprint past them in most encounters. The campaign is 5 hours long and its ~~plot~~ haphazardly rushes to the end while trying to make sense of all the retcons in a franchise where all 3 games have significantly different tones and were written by different people. No one involved in its development cared.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
And now Crytek might as well be dead...

It's a shame because I'm one of those weirdos who legitimately think Crysis 1 was a top-notch shooter and not just a glorified tech demo. I dug its multiplayer too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Takes No Damage posted:

This is probably Nostalgia GogglesTM talking but at the time I really liked it when the monsters were introduced in FC1. Until that point the game had been a pretty standard FPS with you running around tropical islands shooting up mercs. Then all of a sudden it becomes DOOM with all Pinkies all the time.

It was also the first time I think I saw where they shook up the 'everything VS the player' model by adding in a 3rd party that was hostile to the other 2. I remember in one level you load in outside a merc stronghold that is being assaulted by a menagerie of monsters and you have to run through the firefight and escape into the jungle while the other 2 factions tear each other apart.

I never actually finished it so maybe it got too sloggy towards the end but I have pretty univerally fond memories of at least the first 2/3 of the game.

I don't mind the concept of the Trigens (or aliens in Crysis), it's the execution that sucks. They are so tanky and horrible and ultra-strong and they no-sell everything you throw at them until they run out of HP and collapse. One of the late-game Trigens is basically a Cyberdemon: a gigantic hulking thing with a rocket launcher. So yeah, in this normal-world game where you have like an M4 and a knife and a bag of rocks, and you're supposed to use a combination of gunplay and stealth and misdirection to defeat your enemies, suddenly here's a loving Cyberdemon just stomping around and it's Tower of Babel time. You can't use stealth to kill Trigens because they pretty much always know where you are.

There was nothing standard about the merc-shooting in Far Cry when it came out in 2004 just because of the huge open levels letting you approach an engagement pretty much however you want. The mercs were kinda dumb but they were hella dangerous and I thought it was pretty different from Call of Duty (which is also a good-rear end game, don't get me wrong) or Half-Life 2.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I'm not going to comment on FC2 — the worst of the FCs — because people just get upset when I do. :D

Instead, I will as always post the best thing about FC2; the thing that maybe redeems all its many faults and flaws: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Far_Cry_2

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljGw68cjMsE

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PX1cVuaVA&t=12s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^Holy poo poo KF1 had the best character voices of any game ever made :v:

RyokoTK posted:

There was nothing standard about the merc-shooting in Far Cry when it came out in 2004 just because of the huge open levels letting you approach an engagement pretty much however you want. The mercs were kinda dumb but they were hella dangerous and I thought it was pretty different from Call of Duty (which is also a good-rear end game, don't get me wrong) or Half-Life 2.

Oh yeah, I meant standard in the PvE way where it's the player VS everything else. I suppose HL had scientists and security guards, and later on aliens VS the marines but those always seemed like set pieces set up as a spectacle for the player rather than something that was happening organically in the gameworld.

FC was pretty amazing technically in '04 with it's lauded 1km draw distance and the various options you had in dealing with human enemies. Fond memories of sniping a dude out of a camp and then watching the rest of his team creep up towards my position through the brush trying to flush me out with grenades. Or crawling through the bushes myself to get close to take enemies out with a headshot. Creeping around stalking enemies like a drat Predator in games like this and Iron Storm really scratched an itch for me back in the day, wonder if that means anything....

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does anyone know why Doom 3 Absolution HD has this weird color banding across the whole screen? I wish I could take a screenshot of it but when I do it comes out as the loading splash screen even though I'm definitely in gameplay.

Using an Nvidia card if that makes any difference.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I bought Far Cry 2 from GOG about two years ago. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I remember playing it on PS3 beforehand, and I recall being sort of unimpressed by it. However, I remember at the time it was on sale, someone said that the game is a lot more enjoyable with certain mods.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I bought Far Cry 2 from GOG about two years ago. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I remember playing it on PS3 beforehand, and I recall being sort of unimpressed by it. However, I remember at the time it was on sale, someone said that the game is a lot more enjoyable with certain mods.

Yes. Far Cry 2 is a must-mod game. It was an interesting experiment in open-world gaming that ended up getting more things wrong than they got right (but they learned a hell of a lot from it). As such, it has not aged very well now that all those lessons have been taken to heart by developers and gamers alike. Without mods to file off some of that rust, it's pretty horrible.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mordja posted:

It's a shame because I'm one of those weirdos who legitimately think Crysis 1 was a top-notch shooter and not just a glorified tech demo. I dug its multiplayer too.

I'm with you on that. The running "Can it run Crysis" gag somewhat obscured the fact that it was a high watermark of the "open-ended but not open-world" FPS subgenre. That is to say, linear objectives on very nonlinear maps. Story was generic as hell (like Far Cry) and the aliens were annoying (also like Far Cry) but the overall mission design was top-notch.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm with you on that. The running "Can it run Crysis" gag somewhat obscured the fact that it was a high watermark of the "open-ended but not open-world" FPS subgenre. That is to say, linear objectives on very nonlinear maps. Story was generic as hell (like Far Cry) and the aliens were annoying (also like Far Cry) but the overall mission design was top-notch.

Multiplayer was quite enjoyable too, it felt like Z but instead of RTS it was FPS with really pretty graphics and you were only half robotic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Haha the Waste Tunnels one is great.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Speaking of music, I didn't see anyone post this:

https://soundcloud.com/plastiware/at-jazzs-gate-doom-e1m1-jazz-remix

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

:allears: I hope that guy makes more Doom Jazz remixes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tippis posted:

I'm not going to comment on FC2 — the worst of the FCs — because people just get upset when I do. :D

Instead, I will as always post the best thing about FC2; the thing that maybe redeems all its many faults and flaws: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Far_Cry_2

This is a pro-as-hell-click by the way, not just for this one but for FC3 and 4 as well.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm finally playing the new Doom game and I really like it. I wish there was a reload though. I don't mean running out of ammo or whatever, but after a big firefight it'd be awesome to have a reload button that just does an animation

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Far Cry 2 was insanely good and never deserved the bad rep it got. If you're considering playing it, here's some non-spoiler stuff to get going quickly:

When roaming around, look for a technical. It's the jeep with a mounted gun / grenade launcher. If you come across a checkpoint, haul serious rear end through it. Don't stop and take the engagement unless you feel like it. What'll happen most of the time is some guys will chase you in another vehicle. When you're far enough away from the checkpoint that you won't get shot at by stragglers, pull over and hit the key to change to the gunner seat without leaving the vehicle and spray down the trailing car. To speed up the process further, get the technical manual at the store and you can fix up your poo poo and be on your way in record time.

Use the public transport to get as close to your destination as possible. Commandeer what you need when you arrive.

Buy some guns with your diamonds. Any gun you buy you get to grab off the shelf in top condition whenever you want. This pretty much eliminates the jamming issues completely.

Go for the dart rifle ASAP. It sits in the "special" weapon category and allows you to open engagements at good range while still having an assault rifle in your main slot.

On my first playthrough I went for pretty much every side objective possible which is sort of tiresome. I didn't on my second playthrough and the pace felt much better.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In older versions of Brutal Doom you could pump the lever on the shotgun even if it was fully loaded, which was grossly satisfying for some silly reason. I don't think you can do it anymore and it's kind of disappointing. But I agree, some big elaborate reloading animation with lots of pointless clicking and thunking sounds is a fine coda to an action set piece.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

This should go in the OP.

Played Shaky Ground, other than a couple bits (the opening building escape and trying to find the blue keycard), it was pretty good. Loved the music

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Icept posted:

Far Cry 2 was insanely good

Nah, it actually pretty soundly deserves the bad rap it gets, especially now that FC3 and 4 exist; these games do most of what FC2 does just as well but without all the annoying bullshit in the middle. Unless you're some weirdo like nigga crab pollock that thinks FC2 is a survival sim.

All of the Far Cry and Crysis games have moments of brilliance amid valleys of completely moronic baloney, and probably the best thing 3 and 4 did is make those valleys more shallow.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For what it's worth, I also found FC2 better than FC3 for reasons I can't completely explain. They're both absolutely flawed, but FC3 came off as quite a bit more boring. The dialog and cutscenes were more polished, but who cares? They did eliminate the worst problems of FC2, but I didn't feel they filled the void with anything else of worth. And FC2 had a much more memorable open world -- even though I spent a lot of it thinking "this might be even better if it were a tropical island", and then FC3 did that, but it didn't turn out like I hoped.

Just Cause 2, on the other hand...

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sir Lemming posted:

For what it's worth, I also found FC2 better than FC3 for reasons I can't completely explain. They're both absolutely flawed, but FC3 came off as quite a bit more boring. The dialog and cutscenes were more polished, but who cares? They did eliminate the worst problems of FC2, but I didn't feel they filled the void with anything else of worth. And FC2 had a much more memorable open world -- even though I spent a lot of it thinking "this might be even better if it were a tropical island", and then FC3 did that, but it didn't turn out like I hoped.
Yeah this is me. Like, I'd definitely say that FC3 was better gameplay wise but I have way more hours into FC2 because something about it just didn't grab me the way FC2 did.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

The fact that everything past FC2 has actual stealth options, and also takedowns and takedown chains, will, at least to me, forever mean that they are approximately 2000% more interesting and entertaining than FC2 could ever possibly be. FC2 is just like Assassin's Creed 1, good foundation of a game, but ultimately lacking profoundly in the actual "game" and "fun" parts, and just like AssCreed the sequels built on that foundation and actually made it worthwhile.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Just Cause 2 definitely owns bones, but it's not an FPS of any era so get that poo poo outta here :v:

I think a fair complaint you can levy against Far Cry 3 is that it's bland; what you get at the end of it is a game that is "pretty good" but largely unremarkable and with a unique batch of bizarre and dumb gameplay decisions because it's a Far Cry game and we gotta gently caress it up somehow. It happens to have a level and mission structure that isn't realized much in FPS games, as well as a generally chill attitude, and that's kind of what I appreciate (moreso 4 than 3, but 3/BD/4 are pretty much the exact same game). I think Far Cry 2 is probably most interesting because it was the first open-world FC rather than the level-based system of FC1 and Instincts. It's not good but it was pretty ambitious for 2008, and goddamnit they did try. Far Cry 4 is probably my favorite game with the Far Cry name on it but it's definitely the Applebee's of the genre, refined to a safe and palatable experience that you probably won't remember when you're done.

I actually think that a theoretical Far Cry 5 would benefit from some ARPG elements like Borderlands. Give the player a class choice and some random loot and a more robust co-op system with the open world mission structure and I think it'd be a really solid gently caress-around-while-bored kind of game. Not to mention a robust co-op experience. Co-op in FC4 is actually super loving fun but you can't do any co-op missions, all you can do is take over the outposts and those are pretty easy even by yourself.

Did anyone here play Primal? I didn't because it sounded like the worst idea ever. Take away the guns and put the emphasis on crafting and fighting animals, the absolute worst loving poo poo from FC3/4, yeah please where can I deposit my sixty goddamn dollars?????

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is a serious long shot i know but i don't suppose anyone knows if wolfenstein new order and/or doom will even boot if i have a below minimum spec video card

I really really want to play them

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

site posted:

This is a serious long shot i know but i don't suppose anyone knows if wolfenstein new order and/or doom will even boot if i have a below minimum spec video card

Doom has a demo you can try.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

I'm playing with a Radeon HD 6650M and can play New Order on medium settings, more or less, well. I tried the Doom demo and kinda got it to work if I set the options to make it looks somewhat like I was playing DOS Quake. So to answer your question, assuming you're not super, super out of date with video cards, they should, but how well is a bit more up in the air.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Nah, it actually pretty soundly deserves the bad rap it gets, especially now that FC3 and 4 exist; these games do most of what FC2 does just as well but without all the annoying bullshit in the middle. Unless you're some weirdo like nigga crab pollock that thinks FC2 is a survival sim.

Can you stop imposing your dumb-rear end slapfight on everyone else already? It's not even about an old FPS, Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm not slapfighting with anyone, I'm having a rational-rear end conversation about games.