Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I would be surprised if Punk spent more than $50k on his training camp, let along $500k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

https://twitter.com/Simply_wrestlin/status/775143808526798849?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
Even with Punk's low skill level it would be a bit harsh for the UFC to knowingly bring in a beginner for his star power and cut him after the first fight but starting from 2014 all parties made the correct decisions imo. Punk didn't have the time to build an amateur career so it was worth taking the chance on being a prodigy and hey it's a tough world, the UFC need to make their money too and so gave him a chance they don't give most people.

The real interesting question is whether Punk regrets resigning with the WWE in 2011 when he could've still moved to Thailand and spent two years eating, sleeping, breathing kickboxing or whatever. In a way that pipebomb promo came at just the wrong time for him but then again he made bank got a long championship run and met his ladyfriend so who knows.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Why would it be harsh? They gave him half a million dollars

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i read down a bit and there were an awful lot of people calling it out. good work, wrestling fans.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, saw that and said "Hey nice spinebuster!" and knew exactly what was going on when the commentary instead called it something like a wrestling or ametuer style takedown.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cams
Mar 28, 2003

...this is actually subtle and clever. vince mcmahon had nothing to do with it

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

cams posted:

...this is actually subtle and clever. vince mcmahon had nothing to do with it

if Vince did there will be a little person dressed like CM punk getting dump in poop.

and i know miz have beef with punk since punk hated him for main eventing wrestlemaina 27, and miz have improved a ton this year since he been given his wife was a valet.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Ziggler would've been a better candidate for this sort of thing, considering his amateur background. Still, this showed that people with hard bodies and previous experience or good background are better suited for this sort of transition.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

My main takeaway from this is that Miz and Bryan actually get along backstage, because Bryan was the last guy to mimic a major UFC fight in ring. Or at least if they didn't before they probably do now.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

My main takeaway from this is that Miz and Bryan actually get along backstage, because Bryan was the last guy to mimic a major UFC fight in ring. Or at least if they didn't before they probably do now.

That shows one of the few things that always kind of pulled me out of matches a bit. Where guys who know that they are missing a strike or a clothesline throw really high, often over the head of a fully erect standing opponent, even though the other guy is ducking the move.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

remusclaw posted:

That shows one of the few things that always kind of pulled me out of matches a bit. Where guys who know that they are missing a strike or a clothesline throw really high, often over the head of a fully erect standing opponent, even though the other guy is ducking the move.
yeah he wants to avoid hitting his buddy in the face. it's the wrestler's job to minimize that sort of thing, but sometimes you fail.

also punk was much more acclaimed for his storytelling in the ring as opposed to his spectacular athleticism :v

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
It took me something like 100 loops for me to realize that's ... Eve? in the corner.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

cams posted:

yeah he wants to avoid hitting his buddy in the face. it's the wrestler's job to minimize that sort of thing, but sometimes you fail.

also punk was much more acclaimed for his storytelling in the ring as opposed to his spectacular athleticism :v

Well yeah, but they are constantly throwing close strikes that are meant to look like they hit, the really high clotheslines and such make it look like they are trying to miss.

To be clear, I know they are trying to miss. In general, they don't want it to look that way.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

remusclaw posted:

I agree, Chael should have aimed lower. Anderson's gimmick is a spider and they're like 2 inches tall, tops

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jetfire posted:

It took me something like 100 loops for me to realize that's ... Eve? in the corner.

That's Maryse, Miz's wife.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

The Singing Chav posted:

Considerably more than $500,000.
in a bit over your head here m8, lmao

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

fatherdog posted:

I would be surprised if Punk spent more than $50k on his training camp, let along $500k

So 50k on training, whatever rent he spent to live in Milwaukee, plus the $60 co-pay to have his ear fixed. He did well financially.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

500k is only his disclosed pay too

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

uncleKitchener posted:

Ziggler would've been a better candidate for this sort of thing, considering his amateur background. Still, this showed that people with hard bodies and previous experience or good background are better suited for this sort of transition.

If I wanted to watch a former wrestler in his late 30's fight in UFC I feel like Del Rio would be the answer.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Cabbit posted:

That's Maryse, Miz's wife.

He's talking about the Bryan/Punk clip ya goof

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jetfire posted:

AJ, CM Punk's now wife. They were doing a love triangle thing between her, Bryan, and Punk.

Also that "tribute" was almost 100% Punk's idea I'd bet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

freud mayweather posted:

He said he bought a small house or something near Duke's so him and AJ didn't have to commute as much, but still, how much could a small house in Milwaukee cost? 200? 300 racoon pelts?

The neighborhood where duke's place is in guarantee you punk would not want to live in. If you go out a scoche into Tosa the whiter neighborhoods are in the 500+ thousand asking range for houses with final sales usually going down around 300k. Unless he's really as egalitarian as he says and doesn't mind living in an old post-ww2 rental in a mostly black and hispanic neighborhood.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i assume hes scared of people too

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

IcePhoenix posted:

AJ, CM Punk's now wife. They were doing a love triangle thing between her, Bryan, and Punk.

Also that "tribute" was almost 100% Punk's idea I'd bet.

That actually is Eve at the end, you can only see AJ for like 1/10 of a second in the beginning. They had a AJ/Punk vs. Bryan/Eve match.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HerraS posted:

That actually is Eve at the end, you can only see AJ for like 1/10 of a second in the beginning. They had a AJ/Punk vs. Bryan/Eve match.

Well I'll be dammed, I completely forgot about her.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He said he rented a 1 bedroom apartment. Stop talking about housing markets and pay attention to your precious wrestleman.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bundt Cake posted:

i assume hes scared of people too

lol then he's in waukesha/new berlin

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Ah, the good ol days

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

On MMA Hour Gall said he didn't get a backroom bonus on top of the 15/15. Pretty surprised.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Andy Dufresne posted:

On MMA Hour Gall said he didn't get a backroom bonus on top of the 15/15. Pretty surprised.

I'm not. With the new ownership we don't know if the backroom bonus system will continue. Also he beat the poo poo out of Brooks basically flushing the chance of an future returns on the Punk experiment.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
After the flood of articles about how inspirational Punk was, it seems like the tide is turning. People are starting to come back to reality and acknowledge how stupid this was.

Do you guys think he tries to continue this just because he is too proud to admit he failed at something?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RagingHematoma posted:

After the flood of articles about how inspirational Punk was, it seems like the tide is turning. People are starting to come back to reality and acknowledge how stupid this was.

Do you guys think he tries to continue this just because he is too proud to admit he failed at something?

I absolutely think that he'll have at least 1 or 2 fights at whatever fight events Duke Roufas is running these days. He won't ever have another UFC fight, though, and he'll either be fighting other 30+ year olds making their pro debuts, or people that are 0-2 or 0-3 professionally.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

IcePhoenix posted:

fun fact: she's now married to Punk's buddy Rener Gracie

their child is named Raeven Gracie, which is the best and stupidest Gracie name

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

FullLeatherJacket posted:

fun fact: she's now married to Punk's buddy Rener Gracie

their child is named Raeven Gracie, which is the best and stupidest Gracie name

Is that the first one where it's pronounced like an R, or is their child Haeven

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RagingHematoma posted:

No more stupid than jumping in a tub full of hot sauce or whatever not harmful to anyone else poo poo rich people do these days.

I suspect the new management will either release Punk from his contract or re-negotiate it so they can loan him to one of the fightpass feds. I'm sure they can find dudes a little closer to his skillset.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bluedeanie posted:

Is that the first one where it's pronounced like an R, or is their child Haeven

to be honest I have no goddamn idea but in my heart it's the second one and it's deliberate

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

coconono posted:

No more stupid than jumping in a tub full of hot sauce or whatever not harmful to anyone else poo poo rich people do these days.

I suspect the new management will either release Punk from his contract or re-negotiate it so they can loan him to one of the fightpass feds. I'm sure they can find dudes a little closer to his skillset.

He's going to be straight up cut. He provides zero value to the UFC now, especially at such a high pay rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

coconono posted:

or re-negotiate it so they can loan him to one of the fightpass feds. I'm sure they can find dudes a little closer to his skillset.

Hey Alaska Fighting Championship, would you like our friend CM Punk? He is very bad, probably won't boost your viewership and costs half a million dollars

• Locked thread