Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Is the Gespenst Haken good or should I toss him in the vaisaga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: The Vysaga is super good and he's one of the few people who can pilot it so putting Haken in it is a good idea. The Gespenst Haken is one of the best units available to your dodgy melee pilots as well, of which there's quite a few, so it is also worth using.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the Gespenst Haken is the unit to give to someone who you want to use but who doesn't have a better unit to use. It's extremely good for basically anyone. Even tanky pilots can benefit because it's fairly durable and Aschen has Guard.

The optimal pilot is probably Kai though.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
The real question is whether you set All Correct or So Close Yet So Far as Haken's theme when he's in the Vysaga.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

GilliamYaeger posted:

The real question is whether you set All Correct or So Close Yet So Far as Haken's theme when he's in the Vysaga.

Speaking of, is that BGM locked to NG+ like it was in 2nd? Because I can only find the orchestral version to set on the Vysaga...

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Verranicus posted:

I've finally ordered the PS3 Z games and they're set to arrive tomorrow, can someone give me a rundown on the villains of both games/the world ending scheme I'm trying to stop?

Let's see -

Z1: There's something called "dimension energy" that does all kinds of hosed up poo poo. There are twelve Zodiac-themed items of black technology called Spheres that generate lots of it. They're keyed to people, have different powers, and are unlocked by different emotions. Asakim Douwin is trying to collect them all like Highlander Dragonballs. History is a giant time-distorted cycle of identical wars and destruction designed by something called the taiji (the Asian concept of the fundamental cosmic energy) using Paradigm City as a vector and the Big Army as a catalyst. Large spacetime-fuckery events are anchored by people called Singularities and places called Grand Singularities that have the power to fix/rewrite reality when focused together. The Edel Bernal is aware of this and more and is trying to turn the world into a giant war zone to maximize his own personal firepower fun using super-dimensional magic. Quattro "Char Aznable" Bajeena is aware that he is destined to fight Amuro Ray over a colony that he is dropping on Earth, but does not understand when or why.

Z2: Spheres have power levels. The people from Gurren-Lagann, Gundam 00, Dancouga Nova, Mazinger Z, Aquarion, and some other stuff have been trying to either protect humanity from or prepare them for some sort of huge oncoming event called "Ba'al." So have Gaioh, who is a "Dimensional General" who tries to turn the entire planet into his monster army, and Elgan Roddick, who is literally another The Edel but not a dickbag and totally cool (he got shot). Asakim has the Sphere of the Curious Goat and one more, and steals the False Black Sheep and Unending Water-Bearer. All of both ZEUTH (Z) and ZEXIS (Z2) have been made Singularities of something by some unknown intelligence.

Current Sphere count:
Scarred Lion (Land Travis)
Sorrowful Maiden (Setsuko Ohara)
Wavering Scales (Crowe Bruest)
Curious Goat (Asakim Douwin)
False Black Sheep (Asakim Douwin)
Unending Water-Bearer (Asakim "BRBRBRBR WEEEOWWWW" Douwin)

Did I miss anything?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 13, 2016

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Caphi posted:

Let's see -

Z1: There's something called "dimension energy" that does all kinds of hosed up poo poo. There are twelve Zodiac-themed items of black technology called Spheres that generate lots of it. They're keyed to people, have different powers, and are unlocked by different emotions. Asakim Douwin is trying to collect them all like Highlander Dragonballs. History is a giant time-distorted cycle of identical wars and destruction designed by something called the taiji (the Asian concept of the fundamental cosmic energy) using Paradigm City as a vector and the Big Army as a catalyst. Large spacetime-fuckery events are anchored by people called Singularities and places called Grand Singularities that have the power to fix/rewrite reality when focused together. The Edel Bernal is aware of this and more and is trying to turn the world into a giant war zone to maximize his own personal firepower fun using super-dimensional magic. Quattro "Char Aznable" Bajeena is aware that he is destined to fight Amuro Ray over a colony that he is dropping on Earth, but does not understand when or why.

Z2: Spheres have power levels. The people from Gurren-Lagann, Gundam 00, Dancouga Nova, Mazinger Z, Aquarion, and some other stuff have been trying to either protect humanity from or prepare them for some sort of huge oncoming event called "Ba'al." So have Gaioh, who is a "Dimensional General" who tries to turn the entire planet into his monster army, and Elgan Roddick, who is literally another The Edel but not a dickbag and totally cool (he got shot). Asakim has the Sphere of the Curious Goat and one more, and steals the False Black Sheep and Unending Water-Bearer. All of both ZEUTH (Z) and ZEXIS (Z2) have been made Singularities of something by some unknown intelligence.

Current Sphere count:
Scarred Lion (Land Travis)
Sorrowful Maiden (Setsuko Ohara)
Wavering Scales (Crowe Bruest)
Curious Goat (Asakim Douwin)
False Black Sheep (Asakim Douwin)
Unending Water-Bearer (Asakim Douwin)

Did I miss anything?

I think he's asking about the plot of Z3 in particular.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah everything was going relatively ok until 3 when they just decided to throw in all their unused story concepts all at once for some reason.

Except the coming and going of the Insalaum people between Z2-1 and Z2-2, that was really confusing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Z3 is about a succession of space assholes who represent your DAD GOD GET OFF MY CASE AND LET ME LIVE MY OWN LIFE I HATE YOU, and the only superpowered nerd from /x/ (and his unbalanced teacher/girlfriend) who can show them the true meaning of love.

I thought he was asking for the background he needs going into Z3 so that's what I wrote up real fast.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If only 3 was just about Asakim collecting all the zodiac powers and becoming a mad god, and maybe the shinka stuff too, everything would have been fine.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
When you excise all the extraneous bullshit in Z3 it's mostly about how one jackass wants to gather the Spheres and use their power to become a god.

Unfortunately there is a lot of extraneous bullshit.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

"Hey guys I wrote another four binders of plot for the Z series, we've got enough games to use all of it, right?... Wait, what do you mean it's the last one?"

It feels like Xenosaga, except Z got 5 games instead of 3 and it is even more of a disjointed mess.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The extraneous bullshit is the second best part of Z3. Any given Sidereal commander or subcommander is a zillion times more interesting than the Envoys.

(Except Dead Space, who had a rad as hell unit concept that was completely wasted on a drab edgelord, and even then his sister was more interesting.)

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

It feels like Xenosaga, except Z got 5 games instead of 3 and it is even more of a disjointed mess.

Hey, now, let's not go crazy here.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
Is it worth playing the Z series? I'm currently knee deep into Alpha 1 and I already watched the archive LP of Alpha Gaiden.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly if they'd just started the BIG DRAMA PLOT in part 1 instead of wasting their time loving around with Gadlight they'd probably be better off.

heavybassX posted:

Is it worth playing the Z series? I'm currently knee deep into Alpha 1 and I already watched the archive LP of Alpha Gaiden.

Z is one of the absolute top-notch SRWs. Z2-1 and 2-2 are kind of firmly mid-tier. Z-3 is mostly excellent with a weak protagonist and low difficulty. Z3-2 kinda sucks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Z1 is still one of the best games of the last decade.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

heavybassX posted:

Z is fantastic.

Z2 is okay.

Z3.1 is solid.

Z3.2 is extremely eh. I just give it a lot of poo poo because it's very full of itself for being so eh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Z3 has some really cool ideas. I like the idea of your protagonists basically ACTUALLY ascending to godhood and fighting on an entirely new scale but the execution ended up being wanting and it is way, way, way too up its Original rear end and neglects the anime canon series way too loving hard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

Hey, now, let's not go crazy here.
Yeah, nothing else in games including SRWZ ever comes close to the "wait, who am I fighting and why?" feeling of especially the second Xenosaga game.

Edit: despite beginning to descend into chaos, Z2-2 is my favorite of the series.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Z3.2 has some specific extremely amazing moments, though, like the revelation that the dumb optional scenes with the dumb mascot character in the intermissions of both Z3 games are actually an extremely critical plot point that goes all the way back to key plot twists in Z1.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm not going to even try to defend Xenosaga 2 but 3 is the one that had to condense 4 games into 1 and not only does it somehow make sense but it still has room for character arcs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Z2 may not be all that as a game but it's still the high water mark in terms of OG villains.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
So play Z1 as soon as I can, ok I can take a look when I get time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

Z2 may not be all that as a game but it's still the high water mark in terms of OG villains.

Z2.2 had like four OG bosses, one of them was bound to be decent.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Z3 has some really cool ideas. I like the idea of your protagonists basically ACTUALLY ascending to godhood and fighting on an entirely new scale but the execution ended up being wanting and it is way, way, way too up its Original rear end and neglects the anime canon series way too loving hard.

The problem to me was that it seemed like they didn't have enough anime stories left to tell so they had to add way too many stages fighting the original enemies or just a combination of generic space monsters.

And the fact that we didn't get to see mechs for the rest of the zodiac is a travesty.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

And the fact that we didn't get to see mechs for the rest of the zodiac is a travesty.

It's really just Fish Robot, Goat Robot, and Centaur Robot, and despite being Pisces myself, I'm not too broken up about it, especially given the powers they gave Fish and Goat. And the Archer Standing Firm is a pretty lame superpower to give a hero, too, dramatically speaking.

On the other hand, have you seen the Quarreling Twins' Reaction, and they gave that deflated party balloon two whole games.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's odd, because the Spheres were a perfect excuse to make a bunch of quirky characters with unique special abilities, they could have just used those to do cool stuff and move the plot of the games along. But then they made a new set of themed characters and reduced half the spheres to character-less plot devices. It's like they didn't know what they wanted to do.

Also the whole Zodiac thing made the Spheres cool to everyone who looked for a bit of self insertion in these games. You'd think a game company would be aware of how powerful a thing like that is before they throw it away.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As a Leo I immediately...chose Setsuko first in 1 since I usually chose reals first anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They blew their story load with zero in z2 and the anti spiral in z3.1.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

As a Leo I immediately...chose Setsuko first in 1 since I usually chose reals first anyway.

:hfive:

I'm a Virgo but my love for cool Supers makes me always go with Land's path... plus, I prefer his series list.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Spheres went pretty downhill over Z's lifetime, really.
  • The Lion, Maiden, and Scales were solid hero Spheres because they convert heroism directly into sacrifice, and they all do it in different personal ways.
  • The Sheep is kind of a cop-out bad guy Sphere on the surface but its feedback made it one of the most colorful villains around.
  • The Water-Bearer is kind of a retread of the Lion, but on a larger scale. It kind of works because it's more of a matter of principles and goals instead of individual moments of on-the-spot bravery. It's perfectly functional for that noble villain archetype.
  • Goat would be kind of interesting to play the story of, actually, if it had been thought through, but as it stands, clearly only exists to counter the Sheep.
  • The Twins is one big wasted opportunity.
  • The Scorpion, Bull, and Crab are dumb villain archetypes made into magic powers, but at least one of them would probably have been kind of interesting if they weren't all introduced as next-level Sphere Reactors that had evolved beyond feedback :smug:.
  • The Archer is lame. "Gets more power when it's outmatched" are you kidding me.
  • And the Fishes is even lamer than the Archer.
If Ime had been Stage 3, he would have been utterly unbearable. Actually that was pretty much Advent, huh.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Will I still enjoy Z even if i don't recognize most of the mecha?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Charlie Bobson posted:

I think so. And you'll learn to appreciate some ones you may not have given a chance before. <3 God Sigma.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Charlie Bobson posted:

Absolutely. I went into Z with no knowledge of either Baldios or God Sigma, as well as very little knowledge of Orguss, and still found the units from those shows entertaining to use. Even without factoring Kei's 20% damage dealt bonus against 99% of the enemies in the game, he was a fun unit to use just because of how versatile of a unit the Orguss is.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Charlie Bobson posted:

That's probably the scenario most people start in unless they're really fanatic.

I want to say that I usually use Super Robot Wars to introduce me to stuff that looks interesting, but I noticed that doesn't tend to turn out well.

But it might for you.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The next Gundam Versus is for PlayStation 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5QaPe6YDFo

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Z made me really want to watch Baldios and God Sigma.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

The next Gundam Versus is for PlayStation 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5QaPe6YDFo
Are they dropping the EX Plus Alpha parts and getting back to basics on the title?

edit: I suppose more importantly, is the PS4 going to be the primary platform and not arcades? Are arcades finally dead in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This thing seems like it'll be existing independently of Maxi Boost On.

It's probably for the best because wow porting Full Boost from the arcades to the PS3 really did not work out great for the game.

• Locked thread