Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

Muji MOMA Round Aluminum

How do you like the muji? I really love the styling but haven't asked someone who owns one.

To add to the chat, I'm pretty sure I got into fps bc of this thread. Bought first lamy Safari and was hooked. My dad used to write with fps but none of my other friends or family do. Gave my wife an ohto tasche bc she liked mine but sadly I've noticed it has spent almost its entire life in her car, unused. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I like it, but it depends on where you hold your pens. If you hold very close to the nib it's not the pen for you, otherwise it's fine.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I had never seen or heard of the Muji MOMA pen - googled it and snagged the second to last one on Amazon (one left of anyone wants it!). I have a pen that looks similar that takes Hi-Tek/G-Tek refills - I love the aesthetic - so it will be neat to have a close match in a fountain pen. Also ordered some Yu-Yaku to see what that is all about.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

This thread pointed me to Metropolitan, was using Vector and waterman before.
Now I have to many pens, watermans, Rotring, sheaffer, and a ton of chinese pens including al knockoff montblanc. I only use one metro with ancient copper in it.

In fact, I want to get rid of all my pens but three Metros and a lamy logo. Also doing away most of the inks incl.
http://www.gouletpens.com/package-set-diamine-150th-anniversary-inks/p/Package-DiamineAnniversaryInks and the black shimmer ink.

If you guys want I can make a more precise list of what I have, happy to ship where ever but I am in Europe so it can be expensive for you. If I sell, it will all be "please help me clean up" prices.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Depending on the shipping I would certainly be interested if you post a list

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yes please! Dibs on rotring

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bale. posted:

Yes please! Dibs on rotring

rio posted:

Depending on the shipping I would certainly be interested if you post a list

Will try to make a list but it can also become a huge photo set for identification purposes.
You know, I have no idea what these pens are named...

I suck at pictures, ask for better if you want details.

this nib is bend.

These are the pen that I think are worth putting in the effort of selling. The chinese I will give away or donate or whatever.
The Diamine Anniversary inks I would like to sell as well but price will be like very small.

Shipping a pen to the US is about $6, it will be a thick letter. Multiple pens will likely be about $12. Any other countries just ask me.
Shipping the inks to the US would be $25, sorry about that. SASS is always a nightmare.

To keep in the spirit of the thread, I cleaned up my Metro White Tiger and put in Oxblood and filled the Lamy with Graphite. The gold and silver Metro's will be unused for a while I think.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 11, 2016

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:dance:

Definitely interested in hex rotring 600 (if that's what it is). how many rotrings depend on how much you want to sell them for

Regardless, thanks for posting them!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bale. posted:

:dance:

Definitely interested in hex rotring 600 (if that's what it is). how many rotrings depend on how much you want to sell them for

Regardless, thanks for posting them!

It is not a hex 600, one is a set of two telescopic Espit (the fp and ballpoint) and the other is an Initial with an M nib, never used. According to Ebay, they would be about 50~75 each, you seem like an enthusiast without PM's (hence I place the offer here) so ehm, I dunno, is $50 for all three to much? Shipping would likely be another $12 in a sturdy envelope. Feels weird to put pricing like this, if anyone has better (read: lower) reasonable prices please let me know. I don't want to rip off my pen enthusiast friends.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, sorry about no plat. I always mean to buy it but mostly post from my phone using awful app and eh :effort:

I know having to price things suck, but that seems like a fair price to me. PayPal okay? If you don't want to post your info here, you can email me: email received

Let me know if/when you email so I can edit out address

best bale fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 11, 2016

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bale. posted:

Yeah, sorry about no plat. I always mean to buy it but mostly post from my phone using awful app and eh :effort:

I know having to price things suck, but that seems like a fair price to me. PayPal okay? If you don't want to post your info here, you can email me:

Let me know if/when you email so I can edit out address

Go ahead :-)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I covet your inks. Have you mailed anything to Canada in the last while, to have a rough idea if the cost of shipping is merely insane, or outright obscene? I'd have a lot of fun swapping you for a goon-curated box of wonder, but I get to do that in the GBS secret santa, later. Probably not worth it if the shipping exceeds the retail price of the inks, though. TL:DR: If it's too much nuisance, that's cool, but keep me in mind if there aren't easier options. I can send $$ if you don't want Canadian treats.

e: FYI Canadians, it looks like Pilot Iroshizukus are pretty easy to find on Amazon.ca for $21-ish CAD. Seems like a good deal to me, given that it's less than the Goulet price pre-conversion.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 12, 2016

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I send you a detailed pm, all shipping costs are taken from the website of the local postal service and we can do it based on actual cost.

Either way, I have the feeling you will go for the inks and the rotrings ate gone as well. Anyone a fan of waterman or fake mont blanc?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm interested in Waterman, what do you have?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

NeurosisHead posted:

This but Lamy

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

What do you mean by fake Montblanc ? A Jinhao or some other Chinese cheap pen ?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

The first four photos is all Waterman. I have little idea what the models are, the top two are cheaper pens, the others may vary?

No lamy, sorry. Keeping the only one I have, my daughters use the safaris.

Fake montblanc means it cost me :20bux: and some things seem to be off. It has all the markings and the name is there but counterfeit goods from china is a thing.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 12, 2016

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Keetron posted:

I send you a detailed pm, all shipping costs are taken from the website of the local postal service and we can do it based on actual cost.

Either way, I have the feeling you will go for the inks and the rotrings ate gone as well. Anyone a fan of waterman or fake mont blanc?

My dependant brother managed to brick his computer, so there goes my disposable cash for awhile. Sorry. :(

Inks are back up for grabs, then. Keetron offered a really nice deal on them, with very reasonable shipping to North America. The anniversary set are in triangular bottles and make a really pretty glass circle when you arrange them together, which will appeal to anyone with magpie tendencies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got a pair of section pliers to try to yank apart my vintage Peerless. It won't cooperate, but I haven't tried to warm it up yet. We have a pretty powerful hair dryer, so I'm going to try that. I can look down the inside and I see a clear separation between the section and body, so it looks like it definitely should come apart there. i guess I should hope it wasn't glued.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Is there ever a fountain pen secret santa? We do one with the nail polish community and it's always gone really well. I don't know what the restrictions are on mailing ink across borders, though. With polish, we have to be careful to mark things as "craft supplies," etc. I loathe the holidays, but I do enjoy gift exchanges.

Question: is the quality of the TWSBI Eco nib less than the TWSBI Vac/580 nib? I've held all three of them, and the Eco does feel economical, but I'm not sure if that frugality extends to the nib. I want a demonstrator for godkid, but also something that won't hurt to lose, because teenager. Also open to other suggestions of demonstrators that aren't $$$.

Question: anyone know of a charcoal grey that's darker than Noodler's Lexington or the 1670 Stormy Grey? I'd like to find an ink that shades from black to grey. The Goulet swatches online make Lexington look like one of the darkest, but when it's not smeared on the page with a swab, it looks like HB pencil, with some shading.

And to keep the lovely conversations going--what's your #1 ink(s) and why? I'm new to fountain pens and have ink ADD but my favourite pen always has Diamine Ancient Copper in it. Not particularly water resistant, but it shades between rust and near-black. Sometimes needs a little help starting again if I pause to read with the lid off, but it always comes back with a quick scribble. Helped me grind through five pages of notes, last night.

Do you have any disappointing inks that you regret buying?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pixelante posted:

My dependant brother managed to brick his computer, so there goes my disposable cash for awhile. Sorry. :(

Inks are back up for grabs, then. Keetron offered a really nice deal on them, with very reasonable shipping to North America. The anniversary set are in triangular bottles and make a really pretty glass circle when you arrange them together, which will appeal to anyone with magpie tendencies.

I want! How much?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pixelante posted:

Is there ever a fountain pen secret santa? We do one with the nail polish community and it's always gone really well. I don't know what the restrictions are on mailing ink across borders, though. With polish, we have to be careful to mark things as "craft supplies," etc. I loathe the holidays, but I do enjoy gift exchanges.

Question: is the quality of the TWSBI Eco nib less than the TWSBI Vac/580 nib? I've held all three of them, and the Eco does feel economical, but I'm not sure if that frugality extends to the nib. I want a demonstrator for godkid, but also something that won't hurt to lose, because teenager. Also open to other suggestions of demonstrators that aren't $$$.

Question: anyone know of a charcoal grey that's darker than Noodler's Lexington or the 1670 Stormy Grey? I'd like to find an ink that shades from black to grey. The Goulet swatches online make Lexington look like one of the darkest, but when it's not smeared on the page with a swab, it looks like HB pencil, with some shading.

And to keep the lovely conversations going--what's your #1 ink(s) and why? I'm new to fountain pens and have ink ADD but my favourite pen always has Diamine Ancient Copper in it. Not particularly water resistant, but it shades between rust and near-black. Sometimes needs a little help starting again if I pause to read with the lid off, but it always comes back with a quick scribble. Helped me grind through five pages of notes, last night.

A fountain pen secret santa would be awesome - I would be all over that. The Dorkroom does that each year with prints and it is always fun to plan what to give and see what you get.

Inks, I have universally liked all of the various iroshizuku inks that I have gotten. They always write well, and I have never been disappointed by them except initially when I bought take-sume as my first black ink (actually it was my first ink purchase ever). I like it now, but I was hoping for an actual black and didn't realize when I bought it that it is more of a grey. I really like it in my Desiderata flex pen now - can't get that kind of shading from a normal black. You might like it since you are looking for a dark grey - I am not familiar with Lexington or Stormy Grey so I can't help there but there are plenty of images that come up from google if you search it to see if it is the shade you are looking for.

e: sorry, that was meant as an edit to my previous post

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'd be up for a secret santa type dealie

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ok so I looked over my TWSBI, the nib seems to be aligned right when I look at it through a loupe, so that's okay. After leaving it alone for a day and trying again, it starts out writing great! But then it feels like it dries up really quickly even though it's full. So this is a flow issue? And when I try to find the support email the website is unreachable :argh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Take out the nib and hold it up to a light source with the top of the nib facing you. You should see a thin beam of light through the length of the nib slit. If it's pinched off at the end the tines are too close together and they need to be spread a little bit.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Me too

Re: ink, I've never been disappointed although I haven't really ventured out very far either. I used to avoid my big bottle of lamy blue bc it seemed almost washed out but even that ink has grown on me.

Just bought kaweco purple and I'm really liking it

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Pixelante posted:

I'm all for a secret santa here! (Inks cost about the same as nail polish, I've noticed, and I'm about as likely to get through a bottle.)

quote:

For the charcoal grey, try diluting Noodler's Bulletproof Black down some. A 1:10 dilution should get you something close to Lexington, so maybe try half that and see what happens?

quote:

My #1 ink is Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses (1st run/3rd run). It's a unique color that shades amazingly, and is well behaved. I like that the black portion is bulletproof. Every pen I have gets a test with it, just so I can use it more.

My #1.5 ink is Noodler's Blue-Black diluted by half. It is a deep teal-leaning-green black at that point, and there's some shading to it. I've had my Lamy Al-Star for work inked up with it for 5 years.

I fall in love with a different ink every month or two (right now it's Diamine Sapphire :swoon: ), but those have stayed in rotation since I bought them.

quote:

Diamine Graphite-- I got a sample of it and it was just so insanely dry that I had trouble starting it most days.

J. Herbin Vert Empire-- It's a decent ink, but I am 100% done with the "muted green" phase I was in when I bought it. I put it away after writing holiday cards (it looks great on ivory/cream) 4 years ago. Every now and then I ink something up with it, am disappointed in the color, and put it back.

effika fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 13, 2016

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

So much to quote today!

rio posted:

I want! How much?
Send you a PM. do not read further about the Night Sky shimmer ink. ;)

Pixelante posted:

And to keep the lovely conversations going--what's your #1 ink(s) and why? I'm new to fountain pens and have ink ADD but my favorite pen always has Diamine Ancient Copper in it. Not particularly water resistant, but it shades between rust and near-black. Sometimes needs a little help starting again if I pause to read with the lid off, but it always comes back with a quick scribble. Helped me grind through five pages of notes, last night.

I can join a FPSS, be prepared for cheap Chinese pens and samples of Diamine ink.
My daughters love nail polish so receiving that is fine as well.

I recently started using Diamine Graphite and it is like a dark grey with heavy shading but it comes out rather wet from a Lamy Fine nib (which seems similar to a Pilot Medium).

No go-to inks yet, not using pens enough but I did have a hard time moving away from Ancient Copper, it is just so easy on the eyes. Had to switch to a different pen to make that happen.

Kind of regret buying the inks I am now selling but that is more of a midlife crisis type of philosophical thing where I find that the buying makes me happy but not the possession so I do away with everything I do not see myself use in the coming two years. And I can tell you, that is a ton of stuff (not just pens but also books and all that other stuff I hold on to). More particular I regret the shimmer ink because if you dont use it daily it will clog up your metro.

effika posted:

Diamine Graphite-- I got a sample of it and it was just so insanely dry that I had trouble starting it most days.
Eep, I have no problems with it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pixelante posted:

Is there ever a fountain pen secret santa?

That would be rad, I'd love to get in on that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Keetron posted:

So much to quote today!

Send you a PM. do not read further about the Night Sky shimmer ink. ;).

Got it! Sent you an email.

Anyone have any suggestions on something nice to display pens that is not super expensive? I have them in a cup right now - I figure there has to be something better.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Wooden test tube rack

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

grack posted:

I'd be up for a secret santa type dealie

Cool beans. If the OP is okay with it, I'll post something around the start of November for sign-ups. With enough interest, we'll go forward with it. I anticipate the great ink-sample migration of 2016.

Thanks for the helpful answers, guys. Another question for you: are there any wider nibs that fit a pilot metro? I find that I'm using my TWSBI broad for all my notes because it's the most fun to use. The metro Ms aren't as satisfying to scribble with for hours.

v: Agreed, but that thing is almost $800USD.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 13, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The London Fog is the prettiest of all the Homo Sapiens demonstrators.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

quote:

It's the same kind of Jowo nib as the more expensive TWSBI pens, although I believe it's a #5 size rather than a #6.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I'd be keen for a fountain pen secret santa but shipping to Australia could be a bit pricey.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Premature ejacula- posted:

I'd be keen for a fountain pen secret santa but shipping to Australia could be a bit pricey.

You might not be the only Australian, and sometimes people want to have a Santee who lives someplace vastly different than they do. I'd try to match people up, but it's possible some regions would be too difficult to include. Still, won't know til we try! If you get a chance, maybe ask your post service what it would cost to send a small box with the weight of a couple ink bottles just to get a ballpark idea of the cost on your end. It'd be helpful, I think. I'll do the same for Canada.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 14, 2016

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Pixelante posted:

Thanks for the helpful answers, guys. Another question for you: are there any wider nibs that fit a pilot metro? I find that I'm using my TWSBI broad for all my notes because it's the most fun to use. The metro Ms aren't as satisfying to scribble with for hours.

Buy a Plumix and swap the stub nib into your Metro.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

My Muji MOMA came yesterday. What a cool pen - the way the cap posts and closes is awesomely thought out. Any other cool cheap pens I should know about? I had never heard of the Muji until it was mentioned here and it is totally up my alley in terms of the design. Which made me wonder, what other cool pens do I not know about?

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I've been struggling for years with fixing a novel I wrote back in 2012 - and by fixing I mean completely rehauling the plot points and pacing as well as adding characters and development. Also a sudden change in genre. Basically I've been creating nothing but a huge unreadable mess that I can't keep straight at all and has only gotten worse as things get added on.

Then I bought a fountain pen. And then I sat down tonight and outlined that whole goddamn thing and it somehow magically became a coherent, organic, unified whole instead of an awful brain mess. I made more progress in 2 hours than I did in 4 years.

Now I'm not saying it was the pilot metro...but it was totally the pilot metro.

Get a pilot metro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

rio posted:

My Muji MOMA came yesterday. What a cool pen - the way the cap posts and closes is awesomely thought out. Any other cool cheap pens I should know about? I had never heard of the Muji until it was mentioned here and it is totally up my alley in terms of the design. Which made me wonder, what other cool pens do I not know about?
The Ohto Tasche has a pretty similar design (it's a very small pen though). From the same company, the Dude also looks pretty neat.
I don't have either of them, but from what I remember of my Internet searches, they're good pens, on par with the Muji.