Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funny thing about Cosmos is it was actually cancelled midway through when Taiyo Sugiura who played the lead was arrested as a suspect in an assault and extortion case, the case was dropped due to lack of evidence and the show was put back on the air at the request of the cast and crew. This is essentially why it ended up being longer than any Ultra show before or since then (though to make up for lost time, 5 episodes ended up being cut from broadcast and released exclusively on DVD).

I'm also starting to see what you were talking about in regards to Ginga, it has some interesting ideas but doesn't seem to really know what it wants to do with them so it ends up being kind of all over the place (though from what I hear, Ginga S does end up fixing a lot of these issues).

In unrelated news, Toei seems to have already filed the trademark for next year's Sentai. It'll apparently be called Uchuu (Space) Sentai Kyuranger.

Source: https://www.twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/775351346249596928

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What does Kyuranger mean

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

What does Kyuranger mean

"Kyu" can refer to "9", "Rush", "Rescue", or "Sphere" so no idea right now. I suppose the name could also be spelled "Q-Ranger" as well. Other than it being obviously space themed that's all we have to go on until more details emerge later this year.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 12, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope the 3000th episode thing is actually followed up on and not just a gag. I do wish there was more Gokai changes from the last four series. At least Go-Busters go two changes while the others got one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZyuohWhale is so cool. Neat design, neat transformation sequence, neat final move, all cool. I want more of this, less armour that looks entirely out of place over the main suit. I just wish it wasn't Red-locked, but oh well, Yamato is cool so I'll accept it.

Ghost meanwhile is great at making me feel nothing. Oh no Makoto sacrificed himself, wait it doesn't matter because his doppelganger will bring him back to life, cool. Oh hey Adel's not evil, oh wait he's mind-controlled now he dies. I seriously can't wait for Ex-Aid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Larryb posted:

"Kyu" can refer to "9", "Rush", "Rescue", or "Sphere" so no idea right now. I suppose the name could also be spelled "Q-Ranger" as well. Other than it being obviously space themed that's all we have to go on until more details emerge later this year.
Hey, the numbers subtheme is Kamen Rider's deal!

Space Sentai, QQ Ranger :qq:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to see how Space Rangers becomes about video games

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Burkion posted:

I can't wait to see how Space Rangers becomes about video games

Gonna be power rangers in space but reverse.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

John McClane posted:

Gonna be power rangers in space but reverse.

:thejoke:

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I thought it was referencing the inevitable ExAid crossover!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Just bring back the Fourze cast for Q Ranger

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope the 3000th episode thing is actually followed up on and not just a gag.
That's literally in 20 years though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Had to use TV-N subs, but I watched the Ninninger Returns film. Decent stuff, if for nothing else than Fuuka beating Taka in a fair fight (Taka never came near the interfering banana peel)

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I hope Kyu translates to rescue in this case and it's just GoGoV on the moon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

John McClane posted:

Oh man they can get dropped out of space in a kinetic landing pod like in Halo ODST :swoon:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If 20 years from now I don't find out what happened to Navi I'm gonna be really pissed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John McClane posted:

It could be a double pun like Dekaranger was as Deca means 10 which, counting one-shots, is how many rangers the show had in total while Deka is slang for detective.

Twelve by Pies posted:

If 20 years from now I don't find out what happened to Navi I'm gonna be really pissed.

If Toei actually remembers this once Sentai #60 rolls around I'll be impressed.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 13, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, I take it from the fact that they're making Gokaiger trinkets of ranger teams that happened after Gokaiger that it must have been a popular show? Or at least a very marketable one. Usually anniversary series are looked back on poorly, and the KR version of "guy that goes retro" was viewed so poorly that a joke used to be part of this thread's title. So that's a change.

I guess I should really watch something from the 2010s, cringeworthy CGI be damned.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

So, I take it from the fact that they're making Gokaiger trinkets of ranger teams that happened after Gokaiger that it must have been a popular show? Or at least a very marketable one. Usually anniversary series are looked back on poorly, and the KR version of "guy that goes retro" was viewed so poorly that a joke used to be part of this thread's title. So that's a change.

I guess I should really watch something from the 2010s, cringeworthy CGI be damned.

If you want the best anniversary series from that time period, Ultraman Mebius is your show.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Guys, I think I just realized something about Ghost.

The main character's name is Tenkuji Takeru, and on his 18th birthday he was killed by a Ganma.

I have no idea why it took me this long to realize, if only it was in every episode to remind me.

Craptacular! posted:

Do this, Gokaiger is much better than Decade.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i forget his name pretty often, yeah

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The difference between Gokaiger and Decade is that Gokaiger used the old shows as a springboard, little bits to boost up what was already a solid core (space pirates looking for treasure and fighting aliens because they're friggin' pirates). Decade instead balled up all the scripts of the old shows and used them to wank on their new guy.

It was the full series equivalent of a fanfiction where all the canon characters exist to make the writer's self-insert OC look cooler, and any improvements on the old series endings were purely incidental.

Fake Edit Other people will be kinder to Decade than I am. They are wrong.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pyroi posted:

Guys, I think I just realized something about Ghost.

The main character's name is Tenkuji Takeru, and on his 18th birthday he was killed by a Ganma.

I have no idea why it took me this long to realize, if only it was in every episode to remind me.

I fell off the Ghost train partway through the Ganmizer thing so I'm pretty hazy, can you remind me who/what he believes in?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Caphi posted:

I fell off the Ghost train partway through the Ganmizer thing so I'm pretty hazy, can you remind me who/what he believes in?

infinite potential

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Craptacular! posted:

Gokaiger was great.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Acne Rain posted:

infinite potential

And connections

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I fell off Ghost pretty quick, but the more I hear about it, the more it sounds like "Drive, but worse", with a dash of "Fourze, but worse" in the themes. 'Infinite potential of humanity' is definitely a Fourze thing, since it also meant individual humans, and not just 'humanity' as some vague catch-all. It's a very real 'humanity-is-made-up-of-individual-humans' kind of deal, in a very 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' kind of way.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Ghost is weird cause it never feels like there's any tension to all the dangerous things they face or any depth to the dramatic events that occur. I don't know why that is but I guess outside of like one or two of the actors they aren't really doing too well to emotionally convey the situation? Everything in this latest episode just didn't have any feeling to it I could get behind. Maybe it's an earlier failure to get me emotionally invested in the story making me unable to care now? I don't know.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
As far as I'm aware, Gokaiger had pretty low ratings, but it's well beloved by pretty much anyone. I've yet to see anyone who really hates Gokaiger, and if I did I'd kick their rear end because Gokaiger owns

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Craptacular! posted:

Please watch Gokaiger. Marvelous was kind of flat in the crossover special just now, but he's probably my favorite Red in like the past decade. Every member of that team is so good.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I fell off Ghost pretty quick, but the more I hear about it, the more it sounds like "Drive, but worse", with a dash of "Fourze, but worse" in the themes. 'Infinite potential of humanity' is definitely a Fourze thing, since it also meant individual humans, and not just 'humanity' as some vague catch-all. It's a very real 'humanity-is-made-up-of-individual-humans' kind of deal, in a very 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' kind of way.

At this point it's Wizard But Better because you can replace "hope" with "humanity's/Takeru's potential" and get roughly the same effect. Plus it shares Wizard's ability to look like it could be an amazing series and then completely squandered it for this.

Amazingly whenever "infinite potential" is brought up it's almost always about specifically Takeru or humanity as a whole, there's never any distinction otherwise. No, Timmy, you probably don't have infinite potential, unless you're part of the greater good; this kid who got killed by ghosts on his eighteenth birthday, however...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ghost isn't as bad as wizard but it is still pretty bad overall

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Serious Frolicking posted:

ghost isn't as bad as wizard but it is still pretty bad overall

Ghost is definitely #2 in the Bad Post-Decade Riders list. There's no toppling Wizard from that throne.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shaezerus posted:

Ghost is definitely #2 in the Bad Post-Decade Riders list. There's no toppling Wizard from that throne.

Don't you dare do that to ExAid I don't even want to watch ExAid and I wouldn't wish that on it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

As a series, Ghost is #2 for worst (so far). As a lead Rider, Haruto is better than Takeru

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's funny cause the shittiest riders post Decade share a final form/theme of their own Infinite potential because they're blank slates with no real defining characteristics.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's funny cause the shittiest riders post Decade share a final form/theme of their own Infinite potential because they're blank slates with no real defining characteristics.

Like OOOs?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Like OOOs?

Only there they were smart enough/self aware enough to try and spin that into a character trait in and of itself.

Here it's just poo poo

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

Only there they were smart enough/self aware enough to try and spin that into a character trait in and of itself.

Here it's just poo poo

Yeah, OOO at least had a completely hosed backstory to kind of justify him being an empty shell of a human being.

I hope that ExAID is good and fun, and presents as "What if Black Jack was tacky as hell"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Also OOO was a great rider despite his blank slate backstory stuff.

• Locked thread