Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Delivery McGee posted:

At least a few claimed Panther kills were probably because the transmission shat itself at the same time somebody shot at it and missed. :v:

I think mud claimed more Big Cats than the Red Army and USAAF combined.

Edit: Naval question for someone who understands more about carriers than I do to start the new page. It came up recently in another thread that the IJN at one point welded two light carriers together side by side for a catamaran design, and I've been playing a science fiction game where one of the carrier designs you can use is this:

I've never seen anything about a carrier design like that in real life with the side-by-side flight decks and very long angled sections (I know there are angled parts on some modern carriers), but it looks interesting and I'm curious if there's anything to the flight deck layout or if it's just a sci-fi game going with something that looks cool.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cythereal posted:

I've never seen anything about a carrier design like that in real life with the side-by-side flight decks and very long angled sections (I know there are angled parts on some modern carriers), but it looks interesting and I'm curious if there's anything to the flight deck layout or if it's just a sci-fi game going with something that looks cool.

That looks silly as hell, possibly based on the angled deck of single-hull carriers without understanding why it's a thing. Parallel or outward-angled decks would make far more sense on a catamaran carrier -- at least you'd be able to launch from both at the same time, and maybe even launch from one while recovering on the other.

Is it allowed to launch and recover at the same time on a modern carrier (using whichever set of cats is offset from the landing path)? It's definitely possible, but probably unacceptable for safety reasons short of a full-on WWII-style massive fleet action (refueling/rearming with the engines running, and all, and by that point the USAF would have their heavies in the fray, maybe throwing nukes).

Edit: I'm pretty sure the days of desperate prolonged naval battles (cf. Leyte Gulf) are well over -- nowadays the carrier only has to hold the line for 13 17 hours at most until the boys from Bossier/Abilene/Rapid City/Kansas City show up and properly wreck poo poo.

Edit again: Google results for longest bombing raid are all Black Buck (was a hell of a thing, but they stopped halfway) and B-2s bombing Libya (25-hour round trip from KC), but apparently the seven BUFFs that kicked in the proverbial door in Desert Storm flew 35-hour missions, from Barksdale to Baghdad and back, nonstop (otoh the USAF had forward-deployed tankers, the Brits had to carry all their fuel from Ascension).

Also:

Wikipedia posted:

B-52Gs operating from the King Abdullah Air Base at Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; RAF Fairford in the United Kingdom; Morón Air Base, Spain; and the island of Diego Garcia in the British Indian Ocean Territory flew bombing missions over Iraq
Why didn't they use THOSE for the initial raid? Because that would be what Saddam expected, but by going from Louisiana it looked like a regular training/bothering the Russians flight?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 13, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cythereal posted:

Edit: Naval question for someone who understands more about carriers than I do to start the new page. It came up recently in another thread that the IJN at one point welded two light carriers together side by side for a catamaran design, and I've been playing a science fiction game where one of the carrier designs you can use is this:

Uh, just so you know that's a shop done for an alt-history where the Washington Naval Treaty wasn't renewed or something.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit again: Google results for longest bombing raid are all Black Buck (was a hell of a thing, but they stopped halfway) and B-2s bombing Libya (25-hour round trip from KC), but apparently the seven BUFFs that kicked in the proverbial door in Desert Storm flew 35-hour missions, from Barksdale to Baghdad and back, nonstop.

Jesus gently caress, did they have bunks or did the pilots just get hepped up on go-pills?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, Nibai isn't a real thing, it's a funky alt-history thing. Sorry if I accidentally misled you there.

E: Here's the main page for it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Jesus gently caress, did they have bunks or did the pilots just get hepped up on go-pills?

Two pilots, presumably they took shifts monitoring the autopilot while the off-duty one slept in his seat (sleeping whenever and wherever you get the chance is a skill one learns quick in the military), and only had to both be awake at the same time over the target.

As for the rest of the crew (in a B-52; the B-2 is just the two pilots), they can just sleep/play cards/etc. for the 30 or so hours they're over friendly/neutral territory.

But probably also a lot of go-pills.

IIRC the B-36 and a lot of long-haul airliners did/do have bunks and a spare crew, though, what with the rather longer travel time in the piston-powered Peacemaker and the maximum workday length required by airlines/OSHA.

I've driven 25 hours straight with one other person, only stopping for gas, grub, and potty on the same theory of one naps while the other drives, and we didn't die. OTOH, the last thing I remember of that trip is taking over driving in Memphis and washing a couple of No-Doz down with a NOS energy drink. We lived in Dallas at the time, I completely blanked out on driving through Arkansas. So there's a good civvie equivalent to the go-pills, I guess. :v:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 13, 2016

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Delivery McGee posted:

As for the rest of the crew (in a B-52; the B-2 is just the two pilots), they can just sleep/play cards/etc. for the 30 or so hours they're over friendly/neutral territory.

Kicking in the door has never sounded so... boring. :v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Hunterhr posted:

Kicking in the door has never sounded so... boring. :v:

"Hurry up and wait" or "weeks of boredom punctuated by minutes of terror" is pretty much how the common soldier*/field-grade officer has felt since ... probably at least the Classical era. But yeah, the strategic bomber guys have it the worst -- the infantry's boredom gets interrupted by the enemy storming the wire within rifle range or dropping mortar shells on them; SAC/AFGSC crews run out to their planes when the Klaxon sounds and sit in an uncomfortable ejection seat for fifteen hours before the enemy starts shooting at them.

*/sailor/airman/Marine/Hoplite/Centurion/whatever, is there a better word than "soldier" as a general term for "every enlisted man ever"?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Delivery McGee posted:

*/sailor/airman/Marine/Hoplite/Centurion/whatever, is there a better word than "soldier" as a general term for "every enlisted man ever"?

Warrior?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Delivery McGee posted:

Serviceman?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

Warfighter :v:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Why is this word even a thing? Honest question.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nenonen posted:

Or an armoured car.

Well, the claim is hitched on a tank. If it's true, we must assume that's what it was.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Tias posted:

Well, the claim is hitched on a tank. If it's true, we must assume that's what it was.

People are real bad about picking out different kinds of AFVs, though, especially on a battlefield.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fuligin posted:

It was a way of specifying enlisted men who would end up taking part in combat operations. Someone pointed out, though "hey let's not call people on peacekeeping 'warfighters.' Also, it sounds really stupid. Wait, they released the game already? poo poo."

Tias
May 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

People are real bad about picking out different kinds of AFVs, though, especially on a battlefield.

Yeah, and whatever the case was, we don't really have reliable source to know. In the filmed version, it's a mk I or II, I think.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It could reasonably have been a proper Pz I or II. The majority of Inter-war tanks weren't particularly impressive in terms of armor or overall construction so it could have been either a proper combat or mobility kill. Doesn't really matter though, as the claim is both plausible and impressive to a dumb goon in a chair like me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Plan Z posted:

It could reasonably have been a proper Pz I or II. The majority of Inter-war tanks weren't particularly impressive in terms of armor or overall construction so it could have been either a proper combat or mobility kill. Doesn't really matter though, as the claim is both plausible and impressive to a dumb goon in a chair like me.

it was highly impressive to dumb goon in a movie theatre, I can assure you :dance:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

i took Trin Tragula to a museum in dresden today and i would like to say that i was wrong: small portable telescopes date from 1608, which i learned today, and one of the oldest ones in the world is in that museum. so you totally could have been staring downrange with a spyglass in the 30yw.

dude

how can you post this but not mention the sword which is also a matchlock pistol and there's a small watch on the end of the pommel and also it has an extra compartment at the top of the scabbard which holds your racing spoon and a small complete set of tools for working out the bore of a cannon and which direction you should point it???

(I am not making that up.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

dude

how can you post this but not mention the sword which is also a matchlock pistol and there's a small watch on the end of the pommel and also it has an extra compartment at the top of the scabbard which holds your racing spoon and a small complete set of tools for working out the bore of a cannon and which direction you should point it???
press a button and an entire other two blades pop out

edit: three-barrelled pistol
rifled wheellock pistol with a bore the size of my pinky fingernail

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 13, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

dude

This sounds rad and I think we should organise goon museum visit expeditions.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That would be extremely strange to watch.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trin Tragula posted:

dude

Laffo

Maybe some Officer's wife commissioned it, and the officer was all "this is amazing! thanks" but then he's all "well this is way too nice/fragile to actually use" and so he left it with his kit while using the same old clever he always did?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there was a remarkable quantity of things inside other things/things that turn into other things in that exhibition
http://www.skd.museum/de/museen-institutionen/residenzschloss/ruestkammer/weltsicht-und-wissen-um-1600/

a sword/cane whose handle is a warhammer

the handle also contains a whistle

Tias
May 25, 2008

What's a racing spoon?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Delivery McGee posted:

Is it allowed to launch and recover at the same time on a modern carrier (using whichever set of cats is offset from the landing path)? It's definitely possible, but probably unacceptable for safety reasons short of a full-on WWII-style massive fleet action (refueling/rearming with the engines running, and all, and by that point the USAF would have their heavies in the fray, maybe throwing nukes).

Edit: I'm pretty sure the days of desperate prolonged naval battles (cf. Leyte Gulf) are well over -- nowadays the carrier only has to hold the line for 13 17 hours at most until the boys from Bossier/Abilene/Rapid City/Kansas City show up and properly wreck poo poo.

Modern US navy carriers cannot peform launch and recovery operations at the same time. The issue is that as planes are recovered they are sent forward to the bow of the ship, which obviously wouldn't be possible if you are launching planes from the bow catapults at the same time. There's also the issue of how to get planes up on deck to launch them if you are recovering planes over the rear elevators.

Also i'm not sure I fancy the BUFF's chances if a Carrier Battle Group is facing difficulties against some hypothetical opponent, since presumably said opponent has enough of an air wing to threaten the air wing and air defences of an entire US Navy battlegroup, which doesn't bode well for a plane that took a lot of casualties against 1960's tech. I'm also unsure of how effective whatever munitions the BUFF can carry are going to be against hostile shipping, unless they're firing nuclear cruise missiles (which they probably are I guess).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tias posted:

What's a racing spoon?

In the British Army, the spoon you carry so you can have something to eat with in the field. The ideal racing spoon is exceptionally durable and as large as can fit into one's mouth, in case something bad happens and the only way to get food is via an all-in meal in a big pot with everyone sticking their spoons in and grabbing as much as possible, as quickly as possible (which is why it's the "racing" spoon).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

there was a remarkable quantity of things inside other things/things that turn into other things in that exhibition
http://www.skd.museum/de/museen-institutionen/residenzschloss/ruestkammer/weltsicht-und-wissen-um-1600/

a sword/cane whose handle is a warhammer

the handle also contains a whistle

Are you sure this wasn't the Bloodborne museum

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Yeah, Nibai isn't a real thing, it's a funky alt-history thing. Sorry if I accidentally misled you there.

E: Here's the main page for it.

Yup, I got bamboozled. The IJN did enough bizarre poo poo during WW2 that I took that thing at face value.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I got The Face of Battle and Castles of Steel for my birthday. :toot: Looking forward to digging in!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

I think you can pretty much blame the US Army for the birth and propagation of that word. It emerged in the 90s as kind of a marketing term and it looks good on brochures and so here we are.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did it come out of the same school as AirLand Battle?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

I can never take anyone in a modern context using that seriously.

I just keep picturing bored as hell Victorian NCO's and officers dressing up as stereotypical Romans during the down time of their service.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fangz posted:

Did it come out of the same school as AirLand Battle?

At least that's descriptive and comparatively terse. Warfighter is deliberately vague and long compared to the alternatives.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I can never take anyone in a modern context using that seriously.

I just keep picturing bored as hell Victorian NCO's and officers dressing up as stereotypical Romans during the down time of their service.

I imagine an autocannon firing a short burst and needing to reload. I'm unreasonably mad at the rarden from playing wargame and armored warfare.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

xthetenth posted:

I imagine an autocannon firing a short burst and needing to reload. I'm unreasonably mad at the rarden from playing wargame and armored warfare.

Oh thanks for reminding me of that turd gun. In Combat Mission Shock Force you are also presented to the fact that the standard load out for Warrior and Scimitar is 1/5th HE-I, 4/5ths AP ammo. Guess which type always runs out and which is completely useless.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

I seem to recall someone noting though that in many accounts, every tank is a Panther and every SPG is a Ferdinand?

"Ferdinand" was just what people called all assault guns. It's weird how the term got applied to the whole class of vehicles.

spectralent posted:

Huh; does that mean the "tiger terror" thing didn't really happen on the eastern front? I know the Tiger II was initially mistaken for a Panther, but was identification pretty good after they established there were two long-barrelled sloped-hull vehicles?

Actually, I wonder if those things would be related; maybe one of the reasons so many American soldiers swore they'd saw a Tiger was there were barely any of them around to compare other tanks to...

There were some misidentifications, but most of the time when I investigate claims of Tigers knocked out, there was a Tiger battalion nearby taking losses. Although, there is one battle where they mistake a PzIV for a Tiger... And then an actual Tiger for a PzIV.

Nenonen posted:

Do you know what they called the American tank destroyers???

They were classified as SPGs.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

They were classified as SPGs.

Did they not distinguish between direct-fire and indirect-fire pieces, then?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MikeCrotch posted:

Modern US navy carriers cannot peform launch and recovery operations at the same time. The issue is that as planes are recovered they are sent forward to the bow of the ship, which obviously wouldn't be possible if you are launching planes from the bow catapults at the same time. There's also the issue of how to get planes up on deck to launch them if you are recovering planes over the rear elevators.

This sounded very wrong to me, since the capability to conduct simultaneous launch and recovery operations is 90% of the purpose of an angled flight deck, so I checked with a friend who used to be S-3 crew. Here's how he put it:

"Launch operations are dramatically restricted if you're doing a recovery at the same time. It's mainly constrained by flight deck loading. If all the planes are upstairs (on the flight deck), the bow cats probably won't *both* be usable, and you're going to have traffic congestion up there. So it's hard, it's a sort of "degraded mode," but it's totally do-able. I've personally launched while recoveries were going on, and personally landed while launches were going on. But it's not something you do every day."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's a possibility but a lot of the appeal that doesn't get brought up as much is you aren't doing landing ops directly at the landed aircraft on the bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xthetenth posted:

It's a possibility but a lot of the appeal that doesn't get brought up as much is you aren't doing landing ops directly at the landed aircraft on the bow.

That's the other 10%. If that's all you were going for you could just build a wider flight deck, without an extra set of cats, and use the extra space to park aircraft so the recovering aircraft aren't headed right for them.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 13, 2016