Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vincent Moon is also acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Random question: If a Demon writes out a check, and the recipient signs the back of it, can that be considered a pact?

Pay to the order of Bob Johnson
One-Million dollars and 00/100
Memo For his soul

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...yes, I think, but only if the signer understands the basic gist of the deal. Also the check can't be cashed but they'd then get Resources anyway.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

The pact needs to have the terms of the agreement written out, so it probably wouldn't work by filling in the memo later blank-check style, and soul pacts specifically have to be signed in blood. If you can work within those strictures, sure, why not.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Clearly there needs to be a vampire lawyer whose entire practice is based around formulating pact contracts for demons.

On project news, I started converting my rambling gibberish notes into a working database. Since I never learned how to script I'm having to do it by hand (though to be honest, probably 1/3rd of the notes have format inconsistencies or text notes in addition to the clan/etc signifiers so a script would still need me to go through by hand to fix errors) and it's an absolute pain. I should have entered it all into a proper database from the getgo. You live, you learn, you go slowly mad staring at spreadsheets of vampire names and clans.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 13, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...and then get Luvs.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I'm looking to run a Hunter game set in Vichy France, with the main villains being aristocratic vampires.

Any suggestions or books I'll need besides night stalkers, the core book and the hunter book?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
There's a piece of concrete with a pipe stuck through it that shows up during times of unrest. It's basically a +10 warhammer of loving up illegitimate authority figures, if that's a thing that'd fit your mood. It's entirely possible France is where it first gets imbued. It's in the book with a spirit possessed Apache, either WoD Armoury or WoD Artifacts.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Karandras posted:

I'm looking to run a Hunter game set in Vichy France, with the main villains being aristocratic vampires.

Any suggestions or books I'll need besides night stalkers, the core book and the hunter book?

If you want a little vampire canon, check out the Invictus Covenant Book for Requiem 1E - Included are French aristocratic Knights (Spina).

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Peztopiary posted:

It's in the book with a spirit possessed Apache, either WoD Armoury or WoD Artifacts.

I did not know that WoD: Airwolf was a thing that needed to happen until I read this.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm hearing something to the effect that paradox said at grand masquerade that they want vampire to tackle darker subjects like sex trafficking, and made disapproving reference to the Mind's eye society banning that kind of thing from mes games. Anybody know anything?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You know, my vain hope that they'd screw things up with the oWoD and have to start over with nWoD/CoD is looking less and less vain the more they talk...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Why would you want them to go on and pay attention to CoD given all this?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Why would you want them to go on and pay attention to CoD given all this?

Presumably this'll be after 5th Edition is a disaster and Swedish Dracula is discredited and diablerized fired.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kavak posted:

Presumably this'll be after 5th Edition is a disaster and Swedish Dracula is discredited and diablerized fired.

Swedracula is the reason that they bought the rights to White Wolf in the first place.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Remember the posts about Nordic style larps? That sounds pretty par for the course. Fifth edition is going to be a disaster, please don't gently caress up the video games, Dracula

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did they seriously buy the entire company just so one man could make his homebrew LARP setting canon? There must be other plans.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Alienate all the people who'd but the game for nostalgia purposes by changing everything about it?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Increasingly, this is me. When I'm not having public meltdowns in here, anyway.

Every piece of news and rumour about 5E is just more fire.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That's also me, but because I'm having a huge anxiety disorder crisis these days. The hilarious trainwreck of 5E actually cheers me up a bit.

It makes me go from :smith: to :unsmith: temporarily.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

citybeatnik posted:

I did not know that WoD: Airwolf was a thing that needed to happen until I read this.

The actual helicopter is horrible (the ghosts are from 'Nam and make the pilot/passengers more and more likely to be racist/frag their officers) but the idea of racist helicopter antagonist is pretty amazing. I think the specials are infinite gas and ammo.

The Piece of Concrete That Hates Authorities and Encourages Riots is the best though. You get to raise your size by two for damage/health purposes and get striking looks four as long as you're gesturing angrily at a symbol of authority. It's been part of every riot in America/The World and might have a long term plan. Maybe it's Supernal/Abyssal, or maybe it's got a piece of the True Cross embedded in it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, has there been any news about the new version of armory?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
If you're talking about The Hurt Locker, they posted its cover art yesterday and apparently it's on its way very soon.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Kavak posted:

Did they seriously buy the entire company just so one man could make his homebrew LARP setting canon? There must be other plans.

I can only imagine they bought the company so they can use the IPs for cross media purposes. Video games, movies, that Netflix show they said they wanted

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"Well you see, oWoD is now the World of Darkness, and we think that fans really want to return to an iconic setting."

*proceeds to meddle in every stupid loving thing*

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Peztopiary posted:

The actual helicopter is horrible (the ghosts are from 'Nam and make the pilot/passengers more and more likely to be racist/frag their officers) but the idea of racist helicopter antagonist is pretty amazing. I think the specials are infinite gas and ammo.

The Piece of Concrete That Hates Authorities and Encourages Riots is the best though. You get to raise your size by two for damage/health purposes and get striking looks four as long as you're gesturing angrily at a symbol of authority. It's been part of every riot in America/The World and might have a long term plan. Maybe it's Supernal/Abyssal, or maybe it's got a piece of the True Cross embedded in it.

It's always the weird one off stuff that's my favorite.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've almost got the General file converted to a useful database. So far it's providing an interesting corporate tree for the Pentex family, as well as highlighting just how slimy and pervasive they are in all areas of business. I've also been working on the Vampire one, which is already proving interesting on the generation demographics front. One thing that I thankfully figured out how to automate is converting an entry reading '200 vampires in the city' (etc) into a proper list of 'population slots' (a preliminary step before going through, making a note, and discarding all 'filled' slots (if a city says it has 10 vampires, and 4 are detailed, you chop out 4 of the slots and leave 6 to say 'there is an unknown vampire here, yo')) or 'unnamed sabbat (dark moon rising) #4 died 1993 Chicago' etc. As a result of that, though duplicates haven't been pruned yet, the figures for just the first three and a half years of supplements have exploded from around 1365 to 2400.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Since you're doing the Pentex corporate tree, how did the Giovanni/Ventrue/Lasombra, Pentex, and the Syndicate/Progenitors manage to co-exist? That seems like you're looking at a situation where your average District Manager at an O'Tolley's is going to have two or three supernatural influences. Once you get up to the CEO level, you've probably been approached by all sorts of eldritch creatures/people about how exactly to maximize evil/profits.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Unrelated:
I get really bored at work sometimes.

http://i.imgur.com/J2WMwOo.png

Imgur is being weird. I'll just link it.
Edit: I made it for newer players who don't really know what they should roll based on what they want to do. It's not 100% in line with the book but it was fun trying to make a combination for as much as I could manage.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 15, 2016

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Inzombiac posted:

Unrelated:
I get really bored at work sometimes.

http://i.imgur.com/J2WMwOo.png

Imgur is being weird. I'll just link it.
One minor nitpick: Research via computers isn't really Computers, since that's generally just for hacking, software development, and other such "professional" uses. As far as I know, research is Int+(the skill closest to the topic) with Academics being a general catch-all for it.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm running Awakening 2E and could use some advice from people familiar with the Astral in either edition.

My players want to find an Artifact that they witnessed being thrown off a cliff into the sea a few months back. Given their skillsets and the fact that I want to introduce the Astral Realms into the game, I've encouraged them to look for clues there. It's a bit complicated because the Artifact is currently at the bottom of the ocean, not in a certain building or at a specific address or in someone's possession. What kinds of things could they try to get a concrete lead? Some of my ideas:
  • Enter their own Oneiros, find the memory of the moment when the Artifact was tossed, stop it from happening. Use the Oneiric prop-memory of the Artifact to get a sympathetic connection to the real physical thing. (Would this work? Do Oneiros memories and fantasies have sympathy to the real things they represent? Perhaps they could keep the prop-memory with them for the journey and trade it to someone in a different Realm.)
  • Find a Temenos realm of Lost Things and ask around about it there. What would such a realm look like, what hazards might they face? I'm torn between endless winding junkyard caverns and a Brazil-esque bureaucratic Lost and Found desk. What exactly would they recover: surely not the physical item itself, but maybe a sympathetic connection to the real item, or GPS coordinates to where it currently is?
  • Go to the Dreaming Earth and ask the Pacific Ocean directly if it contains the Artifact at the moment, and if so, can it spit it out somewhere. Might be overkill/the Ocean is so vast that it can't relate to the question, but it would be a hell of a setpiece.

Core question here: how can the Astral be used to locate a lost treasure in the physical world? Do things in the Oneiros or Temenos have sympathy to their real world reflections? If they don't, what useful thing could a quest grant instead?

And here's a second question. The PCs are in Los Angeles, which I'm playing up as one of the great strongholds of the Free Council. I want the local Assembly to control a communal Sanctum with a 5-dot Hallow that can be used by any mage with voting rights to access the Astral. I'm looking for an interesting and thoroughly magical setpiece that I can do scenes in throughout the game. I'm thinking it's somewhere in Hollywood. What would such a place look like, what are some evocative details I can use? And how can I discourage them from accessing it all the time without going back on the Free Council's principles of sharing resources? I don't want to cut myself off from "bargaining and scraping to find somewhere else to meditate from" stories by giving them an all-access pass that's always available.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Kellsterik posted:

I'm running Awakening 2E and could use some advice from people familiar with the Astral in either edition.

My players want to find an Artifact that they witnessed being thrown off a cliff into the sea a few months back. Given their skillsets and the fact that I want to introduce the Astral Realms into the game, I've encouraged them to look for clues there. It's a bit complicated because the Artifact is currently at the bottom of the ocean, not in a certain building or at a specific address or in someone's possession. What kinds of things could they try to get a concrete lead? Some of my ideas:
  • Enter their own Oneiros, find the memory of the moment when the Artifact was tossed, stop it from happening. Use the Oneiric prop-memory of the Artifact to get a sympathetic connection to the real physical thing. (Would this work? Do Oneiros memories and fantasies have sympathy to the real things they represent? Perhaps they could keep the prop-memory with them for the journey and trade it to someone in a different Realm.)
  • Find a Temenos realm of Lost Things and ask around about it there. What would such a realm look like, what hazards might they face? I'm torn between endless winding junkyard caverns and a Brazil-esque bureaucratic Lost and Found desk. What exactly would they recover: surely not the physical item itself, but maybe a sympathetic connection to the real item, or GPS coordinates to where it currently is?
  • Go to the Dreaming Earth and ask the Pacific Ocean directly if it contains the Artifact at the moment, and if so, can it spit it out somewhere. Might be overkill/the Ocean is so vast that it can't relate to the question, but it would be a hell of a setpiece.

Core question here: how can the Astral be used to locate a lost treasure in the physical world? Do things in the Oneiros or Temenos have sympathy to their real world reflections? If they don't, what useful thing could a quest grant instead?

And here's a second question. The PCs are in Los Angeles, which I'm playing up as one of the great strongholds of the Free Council. I want the local Assembly to control a communal Sanctum with a 5-dot Hallow that can be used by any mage with voting rights to access the Astral. I'm looking for an interesting and thoroughly magical setpiece that I can do scenes in throughout the game. I'm thinking it's somewhere in Hollywood. What would such a place look like, what are some evocative details I can use? And how can I discourage them from accessing it all the time without going back on the Free Council's principles of sharing resources? I don't want to cut myself off from "bargaining and scraping to find somewhere else to meditate from" stories by giving them an all-access pass that's always available.

For the second question--the Hallow is a movie set that, using the proper ritualistic prop placements and staffed with sleepwalkers as a movie crew, can evoke the proper Astral "scene". One of the mages must agree to be the Director. They can't use it all the time because it's rather difficult to book a time when the set is available to be used, the crew can be assembled, etc. It's almost a cosmic coincidence (that I suppose could be suitably manipulated by skilled mages) when the set is available for use.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Peztopiary posted:

Since you're doing the Pentex corporate tree, how did the Giovanni/Ventrue/Lasombra, Pentex, and the Syndicate/Progenitors manage to co-exist? That seems like you're looking at a situation where your average District Manager at an O'Tolley's is going to have two or three supernatural influences. Once you get up to the CEO level, you've probably been approached by all sorts of eldritch creatures/people about how exactly to maximize evil/profits.

As a whole, they don't have a lot of top-tier overlap other than the Syndicate's Special Projects Division. Within the Pentex family, most employees and even managers are just normal working men and women, with the real nastiness coming higher up or in certain facilities. When we see the Syndicate taking a direct hand in business, it tends to be in banks, investment firms, mass media, etc - which are areas that Pentex and the Giovanni have a presence in, but where most of their focus is elsewhere. We also don't see many syndicate companies, weirdly enough - we're informed that they have a big hand in business more than actually seeing it, as compared to Pentex's stranglehold being shown in very real terms. One of the most illustrative (and rare) examples of how they're in different areas and even different leagues is the Syndicate controlling the Russo-Japanese Economic Alliance, which is a whole different ball park and level of money than anything but Pentex as a single entity can hope to compete with.

I think the best explanation is that on the low level of business, you get all kinds of supernatural poo poo going on. Vampire owned jewellers buy their silver from Harold and Harold's metallurgy arm, and pay some of their dividends to a Syndicate investment firm. Above that, each group probably takes pains to isolate their 'real' operatives from outside influence where possible so it diminishes, with competition taking on a largely economic basis since at that level, outright supernatural manipulation is going to either break the masquerade, expose the Technocracy's existence to the world, or trigger the Omega Plan too early.

I don't have the economic chops to run it, but a 'big picture' Syndicate game where the whole thing is trying to break down Pentex (First as a rival, then as a serious threat once they dig deeper and realize just what the gently caress is going on) and dig it out of corporate culture would be pretty dope.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kellsterik posted:

This is all based on my hazy rememberings of the book from when I ran the game a few years back, so bear with me. If multiple people knew about a thing at some point, it has a Temenos realm somewhere. A wizard's best bet in finding it would be to travel to a realm strongly associated with the thing - Lost Treasures, for example - and then use Mind magic to find the link between the realms.

Once you're in its realm, what you see depends on how many people know about it. The best case is that a large number of people knew about it, but never told anyone else: that way, the realm will be an accurate reflection of their memories of it. It's worse if legend and hearsay have muddied the waters. A wise mage could get some useful information from even that, though:
  • They could use Mind (and maybe Time) magic to find the identities of those who knew about the treasure, and possibly gauge the strength of the connection between them and the treasure. By finding them, they can then use *their* connection to the artefact to locate it.
  • They could use Postcognition to see how the Temenos Realm of the artefact has changed over time, and thus work out historical periods when the concept was held by the most people or dramatically revised.

Sadly the thought of a thing is not the thing, and as such having sympathy to one doesn't give you sympathy to the other. Though if they just want a copy of the thing, they could always try to pull it from the Astral into the real world with Mind, Matter and Prime, and try to fob them off with the idea of the thing. If the Temenos picture of the object is accurate enough, they might even be happy with this substitution!

All of this, though, is a lot harder than just using Space with the connections they already have to teleport the item to them/teleport them to the item. If you want to make it interesting, it could have been retrieved from the bottom of the ocean by some other party, and the PCs could try and use the Astral to find out details about this new person?

e) Your idea of talking to the ocean itself in the Anima Mundi is pretty cool, if incredibly dangerous! I'd definitely allow my PCs to try it if I was running the game, although I'd imagine it's equal in difficulty to a Spirit mage trying to get the spirit of the ocean itself to do them a favour.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 15, 2016

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

For the second question, it's a simple fact that the Hallow is only going to be able to service an absolute maximum of 5 mages a day and likely fewer than that since 1 mana is a pittance. In the spirit of democracy, the Free Council will have undoubtedly come up with some sort of rota or lottery for who gets to use the Hallow on a given day. Which to me sounds like a Manipulation + Politics roll to negotiate borrowing someone's slot in exchange for favours if your party need to use the Hallow. As for meditating to go to the Astral, if it is a movie studio then how often do opportunities actually come up in a busy Hollywood building for a group of people to lie down unwakeably meditating in the Astral for hours? Sounds like the Free Council may have managed to wrangle it being closed for a few hours for "maintenance" once a week or so, and again there's a rota or a lottery or something - one that's probably less sought-after than the Mana, admittedly.

For the first question I don't believe that Astral reflections of stuff have inherent sympathetic connections to their real-world equivalents as they are actually a completely separate entity (a Goetia) that is only based off the original - in the same way that the Spirit of a building wouldn't have a sympathetic connection to the building inherently, but would likely have one simply because it spends a lot of time there. I'm not sure why your party haven't gone for the obvious ways in which to locate the thing: they've already seen the drat thing and therefore have a relatively strong sympathetic connection in order to locate it. Alternatively they could simply Postcog and follow it down, or go backwards in time if they really needed to. Alternatively, there's a bevy of Fate spells for having objects just show up in your possession via coincidence. I fully support using the Astal Realms in your campaign because they're cool as gently caress, but I'm not convinced that this is the plot thread to do it on: there are vastly more convenient ways for them to find this artifact than that and you'd be doing a disservice to your players if you tried to manipulate them into doing it this way. On the other hand, if they want to get more information on the artifact's background then there's probably a Temenos realm for the artifact itself if it's famous enough - probably staffed with Goetia of significant people in the artifact's history, who would inherently know more about it. Since it's a very specific Temenos realm, getting there would be fairly tricky and could be a good session in itself.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've got the Pentex data pruned of duplicates for the most part. Without pruning the rest, it comes out already at about 1/8th of the total 'general entries' with 120 seperate subsidiary companies and firms, with many companies that might be linked not included.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 15, 2016

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

Clearly there needs to be a vampire lawyer whose entire practice is based around formulating pact contracts for demons.

Sins of the Blood, page 105, "The Associates" :)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I decided that Loomer shouldn't be the only one with an insane transmedia project, and so:

WRESTLING OF DARKNESS

is my WWE 2k16 CofD-themed wrestling league. The site's still under construction, but eventually all of the wrestlers will have full profiles. (Right now, it's just Aurelius who was my test page.) The roster at present is (and the images are in this order):

Aeshma (Seers of the Throne), Alice Sewell (Clanbook: Gangrel), Aurelius (War Against The Pure), Baron Steele (Silver Ladder), Billy Reed (Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners), Bishop Solomon Birch (Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners), Burn Barrel Matty (Clanbook: Gangrel), Carl (War Against The Pure), Casey Howard (Hunter: Mortal Remains), Charun Ihitar (Lodges: The Faithful), Colonel Celia Alvarez (Clanbook: Daeva), Count loving Dracula (Night Terrors: Count Dracula), Dar-Us (Night Horrors: Wolfsbane), Dean Raynor (Clanbook: Daeva), Emily Eupraxus Washington (Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners), Felix (Clanbook: Mekhet/Clanbook: Gangrel), Frances Black (Clanbook: Mekhet), Grinning Skull (Lodges: The Faithful), Ishkura (War Against The Pure), Jack Cade (Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners), James Newsome (Banishers), Johnny Shadow (Night Horrors: Wolfsbane), Jorge Davidamente (Clanbook: Ventrue), Josiah Stone (Lodges: The Faithful), Juno (Lodges: The Faithful), Lucy Sulphate (Mage 2e), Luke Lord (Clanbook: Venture), Maelcon (Seers of the Throne), Mahmoud Abdul-Rahim (Lodges: The Faithful), Mary Contrary (Clanbook: Nosferatu), Mirror Frances Black (Clanbook: Mekhet), Morris Spiegel (Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners), Mother Damnable (Demon), Padre Esteban (Banishers), Penn (Seers of the Throne), Rachel Jhorman (Lodges: The Faithful), Ransom (Lodges: The Faithful), Raulo Pacheco (Banishers), Robert Hope (Adamantine Arrow), Romanov (Guardians of the Veil), Seething Brave (Night Horrors: Wolfsbane), Silent (Mysterium), Star Burke (Banishers), Stefan Ellis (Lodges: The Faithful), Tanglejaw (Lodges: The Faithful), The Nemean (Mage 2e), The Unholy (Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners), Tommy (Clanbook: Daeva), Urazakh-Angir (Night Horrors: Wolfsbane), Varney (Promethean 1e), Victor Lawrence (Night Horrors: Wolfsbane), War Pig (Clanbook: Nosferatu), Weldon Fontaine (Clanbook: Nosferatu)

I am taking suggestions on other CofD characters to add, and I'm hoping to eventually get custom signs hacked in so I can have, say, a B vs D sign.

e: and custom music, for that matter, finding good picks from the WWE roster wasn't always easy for entrances.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 16, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, I know the Chevalier and his mom should be involved in some way. Sounds like a storyline MacMahon would love.

Edit: Of course, Count loving Dracula and Felix would be the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have not put the Chevalier in yet. the Count and Felix are one of the tag teams, though, and the Count's the heavyweight champ.