Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Problem I'd have with Chiaki being in the FF is that she'd definitely have wanted to be involved in the Neo World program, since they were her former classmates and friends.

Asahina's in the 13th branch too, so you'd think she'd have mentioned it at some point. Then again if she wasn't there (since she was only there to support Naegi) the 13th branch wouldn't be represented at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Since this is like the main DR thread right now I will post the new DR V3 trailer!!!(coming out in January 2017 in Japan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdGlN0aEG2k

Test your luck and start choosing your waifus and husbandos that will survive now.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Half the characters appear to be ninjas.

Monokuma's getting pretty ragged in the closeup portrait.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 13, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I know they're going for psycho-cool instead of psycho-pop but I hope it gets a bit brighter.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

IceBorg posted:

Since this is like the main DR thread right now I will post the new DR V3 trailer!!!(coming out in January 2017 in Japan)

Test your luck and start choosing your waifus and husbandos that will survive now.

Wow, just after that guy asked about any new news as well.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh god our protagonist really is a girl. I'm so happy. It's not even the girl they showed first, too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So who's the protag this time around? That ninja guy was front and center in one of those posters bur he looks a little too intense so it's not likely him.

E: ^^^well would you look at that. :)

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Mindblast posted:

So who's the protag this time around? That ninja guy was front and center in one of those posters bur he looks a little too intense so it's not likely him.

The girl heavily featured in the trailer is the protagonist. Kaede Akamatsu is her name.

The game's coming January. That's earlier than I expected, to be honest.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mindblast posted:

So who's the protag this time around?

^ I at least assuming it is her

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Is this going to be the danganronpa where the big muscle character and the comic relief that has a weird design will finally survive?? We have 3 killing games where they died(4 if you count the student council) so this time I believe one of then at least will make it to the end!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Preview thumbnail of this week's upcoming Famitsu feature on the new game, featuring a lineup of all the characters: http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/115/480/57d6da9bd5288.html

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

IceBorg posted:

I'm really digging the designs overall.

They're much darker and not overloaded with colors, like the previous games' casts were.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm interested in Monokuma still appearing, considering that more or less settles it still taking place in the same setting as DR1/2. My original guess before DR3 came out was Hinata'd be the villain after finding out he was the real monsters at the end of DR2, but I'd doubt that now.

I'm sure that whoever ends up being my favorite character will die, as has happened in all three entries so far. :negative:

voltcatfish posted:

Oh god our protagonist really is a girl. I'm so happy. It's not even the girl they showed first, too.

It kinda shocked me that that's the case considering I figured AE had 2 female leads and I figured that'd be 'good enough'.

Cool.

voltcatfish posted:

Wow, just after that guy asked about any new news as well.

I have a name you know. :smith:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IceBorg posted:

Is this going to be the danganronpa where the big muscle character and the comic relief that has a weird design will finally survive?? We have 3 killing games where they died(4 if you count the student council) so this time I believe one of then at least will make it to the end!

Being the big muscle-bound character seems to be a target for midgame death really (except Gozu, guy went before his time).

If this game's Sakura/Nidai/Gozu makes it to chapter 5 I'd consider it a success for them.

Also maybe we'll actually have a game where none of the 'realistic teen' characters will make it to the end this time round, because really they tend to contribute the least (sorry Asahina, not so sorry Souda).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Muscle man turns out to be the straight man.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

50/50 on whether she's the protagonist or the first to die.

kodaka loves preview fuckery

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
She has a design just bland enough to be protag material.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Yinlock posted:

50/50 on whether she's the protagonist or the first to die.

Both the short greeting from her voice actress and Famitsu's article explicitly call her the protagonist.

Anatharon posted:

I'm interested in Monokuma still appearing, considering that more or less settles it still taking place in the same setting as DR1/2.

I don't know about that. Monokuma is, for all intents and purposes, Spike Chunsoft's mascot and the thing most associated with the series. They can easily make up a brand new origin for him in an unrelated setting.

The school's name isn't Hope's Peak anymore, in any case.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

The musical composition on her skirt is a nice touch.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ahogebot is going to die first, isn't he?

SHSL Decoy Protagonist.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Those new characters look pretty cool, but I wanna know what the deal is with that Monokuma gang at the end of the trailer

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I'm interested in Monokuma still appearing, considering that more or less settles it still taking place in the same setting as DR1/2. My original guess before DR3 came out was Hinata'd be the villain after finding out he was the real monsters at the end of DR2, but I'd doubt that now.

Didn't Kodaka say at last year's TGS that it's all completely new setting and the only thing carrying over is monokuma because he's the mascot and it wouldn't be Dangan Ronpa without him.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Slokir posted:

Didn't Kodaka say at last year's TGS that it's all completely new setting and the only thing carrying over is monokuma because he's the mascot and it wouldn't be Dangan Ronpa without him.

I'm taking that statement with a very heavy grain of salt. They did say that the SDR2 kids wouldn't appear in DR3 before they announced the existence of the Despair arc.

While it may be a new school, I'm doubting that it will be completely disconnected from the Hope's Peak story (they've got to explain what Monokuma is doing there, after all). With the futuristic look of the setting, my guess is that it's many years after the conclusion of DR3, after the world has recovered from the tragedy.

And while (aside from Monokuma) none of the characters from the old series will return, perhaps a few of the new characters will be the kids of the old cast.

In particular, I'm suspicious of that pilot girl with the suspicious gloves(which, aside from being fingerless, look awfully familiar). But I've already been fooled by Nagito(whose resemblance to Naegi turned out mostly to be a red herring), so it probably doesn't mean what I think it means.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 13, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Maybe I missed it, but how could Chiaki being dead be consistent with DR2's ending-esque sequence when she's all like "I'll see you soon, my friends" or w/e? A pre-recording or something?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I finished dr2 around despair 4 and don't recall that line. :confused:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ai chiaki and human chiaki are two different people, so i don't really see why the ai saying that would mean the human would follow up. plus, it isn't really clear if the human chiaki had been conceived of when they wrote dr2, or if she was created solely for the anime.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

But also she didn't say that

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm just remembering incorrectly I guess. After the final class trial is over and they are leaving the game world, Hajime finally says thank you to Chiaki and (I guess AI) Chiaki responds with "Me too... Thank you. I'll... never forget about you guys... I'll never ever forget... I'll be cheering for you guys from now on... from somewhere. Cuz... we're all friends after all." I'm reading into that too much because I for some reason thought the last part implied that it wasn't the Chiaki AI responding, but looking at the scene again, it probably is and it probably doesn't mean anything.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I mean, you could assume that it means that she believes that they're now rehabilitated and that she'll meet them again at Future Foundation, since she's probably stored there somewhere.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
It's generic friendship platitudes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just like Chiaki and would A. like to see her in the Future and B. not be a Despair if she is alive.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

lookin kind of thick compared to the other ladies

I am fine with this

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

So everyone is supposed to be an inmate/delinquent I guess? Will we be having ultimates again or will that die with hope's peak. Part of me hopes it will because in animeland you don't need to be a titleholder to have wacky superpowers.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

we'll have titles again but this time they're all crimes

look out for the Super High School Level Jaywalker

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I just want the protagonist to be the Ultimate Unlucky Inmate. They did nothing wrong, everybody knows they did nothing wrong, they just get imprisoned anyway.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ahogebot is going to die first, isn't he?

SHSL Decoy Protagonist.

I'm so torn, I'm all for a female protagonist but I also love lovely metal gear rising jokes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

we'll have titles again but this time they're all crimes

look out for the Super High School Level Jaywalker

"So over here we got SHSL Jaywalker and SHSL Litterer, down the hall there is SHSL Trespasser, and over here is SHSL Corpse Fucker. You uh...you probably should stay away from that guy."

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yinlock posted:

"So over here we got SHSL Jaywalker and SHSL Litterer, down the hall there is SHSL Trespasser, and over here is SHSL Corpse Fucker. You uh...you probably should stay away from that guy."

Spoiler alert: The SHSL Murderer dies first. Killed in a premeditated way by the SHSL Manslaughterer. Death by irony.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I hope there's a SHSL Unlucky student who is just a sane and reasonable person that has bad things happen to them. Basically, inverse Nagito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that'd be raiden, yeah. his being a ninja robot will never come up.

• Locked thread