Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Are there any decent mods that use the pre-war food for crafting ingredients?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Seems like the fusion gun mod is hosed up in some way. I had it installed, it was in the load order, but the game ignored it no matter what. Doesn't matter where it was in the load order, doesn't matter how much I redownloaded, it just wouldn't recognize it. Hell, it didn't even bitch at me when I removed the mod and tried to load a save where I had previously had it installed. It doesn't even seem to recognize that the mod existed.

that's weird, it worked fine for me.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Gonkish posted:

Seems like the fusion gun mod is hosed up in some way. I had it installed, it was in the load order, but the game ignored it no matter what. Doesn't matter where it was in the load order, doesn't matter how much I redownloaded, it just wouldn't recognize it. Hell, it didn't even bitch at me when I removed the mod and tried to load a save where I had previously had it installed. It doesn't even seem to recognize that the mod existed.

Had this happen to me too. If you use MO, try manually extracting the archive to the mod's directory (instead of installing with MO). It doesn't make sense to me, since FO4Edit showed everything as all clear in the plugin and everything, but it wouldn't show up in-game until I just manually extracted the archive.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

potaties posted:

Had this happen to me too. If you use MO, try manually extracting the archive to the mod's directory (instead of installing with MO). It doesn't make sense to me, since FO4Edit showed everything as all clear in the plugin and everything, but it wouldn't show up in-game until I just manually extracted the archive.

I do. That's weird as hell, and actually the first time that I have seen that. I guess I'll try again. drat.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I was looking for hair colours yesterday and still the only thing that seems to be available are replacers and lovely hacks, is this really something thats hardcoded? Seems a strange decision.

Edit: On a different note, it seems someone has finally found the perfect solution to the idiot savant problem.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18216/

Davoren fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 12, 2016

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Oh hey, someone made a set of Institute Power Armor based off the concept art. Now for someone to make a mod so the Institute actually uses it...

Yesssssss. The best power arnor. The shoulders look eh but ever since I saw that in the artbook I wanted someone to make it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

In the meantime, there's a couple favorite mods I used earlier this year that I can't find again in either my Nexus downloads list or the spot on my spare HD where I stashed the downloads. One is like a variation on pipe guns, very modifiable but much nicer looking; the other is a set of NCR Ranger looking riot armor under a brown coat, with a thigh-length variant and a waist-length variant. Those sound familiar to anyone?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9034/ NCR?
I am violently allergic to pipe guns, but just search for pipe or something like that in the nexus.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Gonkish posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18315/

A Japanese modder made the Institute Power Armor from the artbook. :allears:

m150 is a treasure.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Alright, a quick mod round up from me as well!

Somebody made a quick and dirty Military themed olive green Gunner style Duster, comes with FREE BERET! please your inner Miller.

Ever felt stupid you couldn't wear hats with gas masks? well now you can put things on your masked head with gas masks with helmets for that ultra prepared bad rear end wastelander look.

Jealous of Tinker Tom being the only guy in the Wasteland with a crazy rear end inventor theme? well, he's not the only guy in the Commonwealth with that theme anymore! somebody basically made a nice looking Wasteland Engineer outfit based on the art for one of the Workshop DLC. It's unisex meaning it's great for those who don't want to dress their female characters like anime strippers!

For those with Nuka World annoyed the new Assault Rifle is missing a wooden stock? well, now you can have a wooden stock made via crafting. Enjoy.

Ever wanted a rapier to carve your initials into some poor raiders chest? well, now you can finally run around the Wasteland with a Swept Hilt Rapier! En Garde!

EDIT:

More Uniques is sort of another modder expansion to unique uniques and even has DLC weapon uniques now!

Also SPERG mod of the moment hate that human Virgil looks nothing like Mutie Virgil? well my friend, that has been fixed for you!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 13, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So my New Vegas modding finally collapse into itself and my saves are hosed, so I am reluctantly coming back to FO4. Now, what is the current preferred method of modding? What stuff should I be looking for as quality of life/performance improvements? Finally, what mods are there that require the DLC, of which I have none, because gently caress paying twenty five dollars for Far Harbour or thirty five for Nuka World.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

So my New Vegas modding finally collapse into itself and my saves are hosed, so I am reluctantly coming back to FO4. Now, what is the current preferred method of modding? What stuff should I be looking for as quality of life/performance improvements? Finally, what mods are there that require the DLC, of which I have none, because gently caress paying twenty five dollars for Far Harbour or thirty five for Nuka World.

I've spent the last few days knuckling down and making merged patches, last one was all the modded in power armor, next is going to be weapons, but its for not for no-season-pass-having-proles.
scrubs, if you will.

comedy option : pick up a cheap goty/season pass, from many fine establishments online, like d2a. who I dont recommend at all because nope.
or dont because the season pass was a loving ripoff.
it is i, I am the scrub.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Anyone have experience texture editing and can clear this up for me? I've been using NVidia's plugin for Photoshop for ages but only with Fallout have I encountered an issue loading some textures from mods I've downloaded. Some of them appear all black, or mostly black with some weird repeating artefacts all over them.

Intel now has a .dds plugin and the ones that don't load properly with NVidia's do appear fine using Intel's, but the advice I've read says to mainly only use Intel's plugin for normal and spec maps and not diffuse. I'm also not as familiar with the particulars of Intel's plugin, the save settings and so on, and can't find any good guides for it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Is there any mod that applies knockdown/ragdolls live people from explosions? If not, what would be the way to approach modding this in?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Run around dressed as Boston Police Officer if that is your jam.

Also, if you have Nuka World but want to put armor and clothing from it outside the DLC this mod adds that stuff to several clothing vendors in the Commonwealth.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

Anyone have experience texture editing and can clear this up for me? I've been using NVidia's plugin for Photoshop for ages but only with Fallout have I encountered an issue loading some textures from mods I've downloaded. Some of them appear all black, or mostly black with some weird repeating artefacts all over them.

Intel now has a .dds plugin and the ones that don't load properly with NVidia's do appear fine using Intel's, but the advice I've read says to mainly only use Intel's plugin for normal and spec maps and not diffuse. I'm also not as familiar with the particulars of Intel's plugin, the save settings and so on, and can't find any good guides for it.

I use gimp and its normalmap function seems to work okay, same with .dds, .glows too, but whats all this newfangled specular mumbojambo?
I'd help answer, but I am kind of lost as well.

Another question, is anyone else having problems with leg armor just not animating, sitting in its straight position near your legs?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Alright, I've upgraded to a GTX 1080 so I'm going to need some mods that make the game look as good as possible, tia

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Do you guys know of any mods that completely remove or lower the occurrence of stimpaks from the game? I want to make them rare.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Such a mod would really complicate bringing companions along (aside from robots I suppose).

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

nuka world is $20 not $35

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Anyone know of a mod that merges all the best weapons and another for armor/clothing? there are tons out there but my mod list is already too long and the mod merge tool hasnt been updated for FO4 yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FlyinPingu posted:

nuka world is $20 not $35

$30 actually. I'm stuck with Canadian funny money.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

Anyone know of a mod that merges all the best weapons and another for armor/clothing? there are tons out there but my mod list is already too long and the mod merge tool hasnt been updated for FO4 yet.

Sadly now you'll just have to make merged patches.

Due to drama it seems the compilation packs of previous games may be fond memories of the past :smith:.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Remember how any competent developer would have made it so you can just dump things into the mod list and it would get sorted into leveled lists based on some variables you set, instead of having every mod essentially overwrite anything below it and sit there like a festering boil on your load order?

Yeah, gently caress you, Bethesda has to spend more time thinking up WACKY jokes about how terrible Fallout's world and the people in it are!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I wish I could remove all the bundled crap that Armorsmith Extended comes with. I tried editing the ESP using FO4Edit to remove the Ammunition and Weaponsmith workbenches, as well as some of the more egregious items listed in the Armorsmith recipe list... But any combination of those edits ends up crashing the game on load.

It seems more like an issue with FO4Edit, I bet it'd probably crash if I just resaved the ESP as is. :argh:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Sputnik posted:

The normal maps don't work properly in Nvidia's Photoshop plugin. Something about the format is odd? Intel's works just fine. I can give you the settings I use! I forget where I even found them, but it was somewhere weird, like an extensive Google search that ended up in Loverslab or something.

Misc tips:
Images saved in the NVidia plugin have normal maps saved in the wrong format. One of the channels is basically discarded in this format. I'm not sure if it matters a lot visually, but resaving them in the Intel plugin wouldn't hurt.
Loading an image with an alpha layer is odd. By default, the alpha layer is just normal transparency. However, you can click a check box when first opening the image to "load transparency as an alpha layer."

Kurui Reiten posted:

Remember how any competent developer would have made it so you can just dump things into the mod list and it would get sorted into leveled lists based on some variables you set, instead of having every mod essentially overwrite anything below it and sit there like a festering boil on your load order?

Yeah, gently caress you, Bethesda has to spend more time thinking up WACKY jokes about how terrible Fallout's world and the people in it are!

I've apparently never run into a competent developer, by these standards.

(also, I don't think the same guys who do things like coding also do the writing.)

Jan posted:

I wish I could remove all the bundled crap that Armorsmith Extended comes with. I tried editing the ESP using FO4Edit to remove the Ammunition and Weaponsmith workbenches, as well as some of the more egregious items listed in the Armorsmith recipe list... But any combination of those edits ends up crashing the game on load.

It seems more like an issue with FO4Edit, I bet it'd probably crash if I just resaved the ESP as is. :argh:

I don't know why these edits would crash your esp, but it should be safe enough to leave how it is. It doesn't add them into the game in any way, so you'll never have to bother seeing them.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 13, 2016

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

When you have a plugin system like this, inviting mods to be made, you would think you would make a system that would simply generate a leveled list in-game from entries on a per-mod basis. The fact that you basically have to recreate an entire leveled list in a merged mod at the end of the load order to get overlapping mods to work together is stupid, because if you set up the game to automatically pull entries in and resort them itself, it would fix a major issue. Obviously hardcoded lists and such in most games make sense, but for something like the Elder Scrolls/Fallout series, the modding is more or less expected. You would think, after so long, that they would at least rework leveled list loading around that, but these games still have Morrowind code in them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I found some more info. For a diffuse map with a normal, you need BC7 (Linear, fine) for compression. In normal maps, the blue channel is discarded. Running "Normalize" makes sure all the values are in range.

Specular also saves in BC5. I've never done any specular work before, but they're apparently very different in Fallout 4.

quote:

Its not a specular map its a combined texture.

Red = metalness map
green = roughness
blue = ??? I have not seen it used for anything so..

Fallout 4 uses PBR and so uses a metalness, roughness map to replace specular.

Kurui Reiten posted:

When you have a plugin system like this, inviting mods to be made, you would think you would make a system that would simply generate a leveled list in-game from entries on a per-mod basis. The fact that you basically have to recreate an entire leveled list in a merged mod at the end of the load order to get overlapping mods to work together is stupid, because if you set up the game to automatically pull entries in and resort them itself, it would fix a major issue. Obviously hardcoded lists and such in most games make sense, but for something like the Elder Scrolls/Fallout series, the modding is more or less expected. You would think, after so long, that they would at least rework leveled list loading around that, but these games still have Morrowind code in them.

You can actually do this with "quests" and scripts if you like. This fellow has made a tutorial package for that, basically. Leveled list injections.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17782/

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 13, 2016

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sadly now you'll just have to make merged patches.

Due to drama it seems the compilation packs of previous games may be fond memories of the past :smith:.

I never really cared about those things, even in like Morrowind which felt like the breeding ground for them, I never used them because there was always stuff in there I didn't need or want, and to me modding is about making the game how I want it to be.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Davoren posted:

I never really cared about those things, even in like Morrowind which felt like the breeding ground for them, I never used them because there was always stuff in there I didn't need or want, and to me modding is about making the game how I want it to be.

Yeah but plug in bloat and struggling with instability isn't really that much fun trying to mod the game right.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

The normal maps don't work properly in Nvidia's Photoshop plugin. Something about the format is odd? Intel's works just fine. I can give you the settings I use! I forget where I even found them, but it was somewhere weird, like an extensive Google search that ended up in Loverslab or something...

Thanks! Someone finally made a nice New Vegas style cowboy hat but his texture could use some work, but his was one of the ones not loading right in PS.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16991/

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm gonna go ahead and recommend the Raider Overhaul. I'm sure we've seen it in the thread before, but the guy keeps on updating it and adding new poo poo. The most prominent features are definitely the work he's done on the raider power armor, specifically adding in skins and modifications that allow it to be a viable end-game armor if you so choose (it can even equip jetpacks!). The skins are fantastic, too. There's a detritus skin which makes the armor look like it's cobbled together from roadsigns and license plates, and you can even use the hot rod magazine skins on the raider armor (the pink skin is wonderful). On top of that, he's done work adding in raider themed items distributed through the leveled lists, like a raider booze named Shine which gives +3 STR but is addictive as hell, there's new armor and apparel, etc. It's generally very good, and the guy is dedicated as gently caress.

Also, there's a version with JUST the power armor stuff right here, if you prefer that. (And, honestly, that's the best part of it all, though I prefer the full mod.)

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 14, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Both Raider and Super Mutant overhaul are fantastic, both modders are using both new and old school concept art from Fallout 4 and the previous games and they certainly add a lot more variety to the item pool.

Perfect for that weird 'gently caress it gonna raid' phase Nora/Nate seems to have suddenly developed.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Both Raider and Super Mutant overhaul are fantastic, both modders are using both new and old school concept art from Fallout 4 and the previous games and they certainly add a lot more variety to the item pool.

Perfect for that weird 'gently caress it gonna raid' phase Nora/Nate seems to have suddenly developed.

I just realized that it's actually the same guy doing both, and they're both incredible. I just cleared out Fanueil Hall earlier and got the poo poo scared out of me by a Nightkin who was using a Stealth Boy.

EDIT: I forgot to add: Raider Overhaul also adds in a loving amazing Raider dog armor so you can have Dogmeat wearing license plates as armor.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 14, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Those Nightkin are bastards yeah, but they drop some wicked nasty melee weapons you can turn the tide with!

I am saddened the person who started the overhaul of the Gunners Mod got distracted by real life and we only got a beta with tweaked textures.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So my brother is getting my the Season Pass for my birthday next week because I've been saying I wanted to try the hardcore survival mode and mod it up like with the Requiem-Frostfall-Hunterborn style thing that I had going in Skyrim for a while; but I didn't want to play with out or pay for DLC.

Can anyone recommended a combination of mods that make that sort of experience come together?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I figure I'll just condense that stuff into something that someone can quote in a tutorial if they want. I know it was a pain in the rear end for me to find the settings in particular.

Quick and Simple Intel Plugin Tips:

Diffuse: BC1. Lower quality, no alpha. Equivalent of DXT1. If you move up to having an alpha layer, even if you don't use it, BC3 is the equivalent to DX5.
Diffuse with alpha: BC7. Higher quality, bigger file size, better alpha.
Normal Map: BC5.
Specular: BC5.

By default, alpha layers appear as transparency. There is a check to make them an alpha layer when you first load the image.

Fallout 4 normals maps use the 3Dc format, and they discard the blue channel. Resaving Nvidia plugin normal maps in the Intel plugin should fix them up for proper use in the game. I don't know if leaving them as-is hurts anything, but it couldn't hurt to resave them.

Checking off "Normalize" makes sure all the values in a normal map are in range.

Specular maps are combined textures. They also discard the blue channel. Red channel is "metalness", green channel is "roughness." This is a product of PBR or physically-based rendering.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 14, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I figure I'll just condense that stuff into something that someone can quote in a tutorial if they want. I know it was a pain in the rear end for me to find the settings in particular.

Quick and Simple Intel Plugin Tips:

Diffuse: BC1. Lower quality, no alpha.
Diffuse with alpha: BC7. Higher quality, bigger file size, alpha.
Normal Map: BC5.
Specular: BC5.

Should compression really be that severe for a diffuse image? When I look at the preview, it cuts the size of the existing file by 80 percent and it degrades the image a lot visually:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Sputnik posted:

Should compression really be that severe for a diffuse image? When I look at the preview, it cuts the size of the existing file by 90 percent and it degrades the image a lot visually:

It's the equivalent of DXT1 compression for maximum compatibility. I've used it myself and it seems fine, but I'm working with pretty large textures.

http://www.reedbeta.com/blog/2012/02/12/understanding-bcn-texture-compression-formats/ And it turns out BC6 and BC7 are very complex and new.

If you move up to having an alpha layer, BC3 is the equivalent to DXT5.

I added that stuff to the short version!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Is there a mod that makes the Institute x01 paint unlock earlier (in other words, before you go full on science nerd and kill everyone) in the quest line? I want to collect the pretty for my power armor displays that no one else will ever see, because I am a sad, broken man without a life. Also because pretty.

Normally I did this with the console, but I'm playing Survival so that's not possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Been away for a while, has anyone modded the console and quicksaving back into hardcore mode? I don't have a save without hardcore and my most recent save is about 1000km from any base to drop poo poo off.

Also real-talk gently caress not saving.