Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ISO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Come on fam, how do you not name that Harambeer

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Jesus, is there a pepe beer out there yet?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ahahaha Sadly no it's not real just a joke.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

I'm in Scottsdale - the Marriot up there. Only have one afternoon/evening so planning on trying to get to Arizona Wilderness, Papago, and then maybe Craft 64.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Cool enjoy Scottsdale. After you've had a few beers go play top golf enjoy the cool sub 100 weather we are having.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Danks out for Harambe

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

dphi posted:

Jesus, is there a pepe beer out there yet?

Rare.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Haven't posted in a while, but tomorrow is the second Wednesday of the month, and thus it is time for cellar raidin'. Thinking this month's edition is going to be a saison but I'm not sure yet.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

crazyfish posted:

Haven't posted in a while, but tomorrow is the second Wednesday of the month, and thus it is time for cellar raidin'. Thinking this month's edition is going to be a saison but I'm not sure yet.

I'll do one for real this time. I've been thinking about cracking the Dageraad 8° from last year, so this'll be a good excuse.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Every now and then I go back and have a crack at one of the beers that really got me into trying more/better brews.

Last night was Triple Karmeleit, god it's still so very, very good :neckbeard:

Tonight, Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Apache
May 11, 2004

Had a couple of solid AZ beers last night courtesy of Sterster. The White Russian stout from Sun up brewing was a solid coffee stout, and Santan moon juice was a nice Nelson hopped IPA.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

If somehow I've missed anyone else on this thread who happens to be in Austin, open invite: I'm hosting a bottle share on Friday.

Gonna start after people get back into town from ~The Weekly Jester King Pilgrimage~

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So…St. Bernardus is $27 at the local bottle shop for Oak Aged Abt 12.

Is it worth it? Because I'm having a lot of trouble convincing myself to pay that much for an amazing beer that's exactly the same as it's been for a brazillian years, but OAK AGED

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dangerllama posted:

Is it worth it? Because I'm having a lot of trouble convincing myself to pay that much for an amazing beer that's exactly the same as it's been for a brazillian years, but OAK AGED

That beer's worth like $15 tops, it's a joke at $27.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Cellar raid wednesday....

2008 Thomas Hardy's Ale

Poured completely flat and lots of rum/raisin going on. Really rich/full-bodied and heavy. Almost port like even. Getting a little twinge of oxidation but nothing too offensive.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Cellar raid Wednesday: Boulevard Saison Brett 2015

Fresh Saison Brett is good, but I do not love it nearly as much a lot of people. That being said, one year makes this beer loving phenomenal. It is so beyond bone dry with a slight pear like aroma that is not in it fresh. Also on the nose I get an aroma that is similar to the Sweatheart candy and I mean that in the best of ways.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dangerllama posted:

Like a lot of Belgians, they use the term "oak aged" but mean used barrels. In that beer's case, it was aged in Calvados Apple Brandy barrels. I haven't had but I'm tempted...

Spanish Manlove posted:

... But yeah, it's hard to justify at that cost.

No cellar raid for me. I'm on medication that is preventing drinking for a bit. That's probably a good thing. Need to cut back anyway.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Like a lot of Belgians, they use the term "oak aged" but mean used barrels. In that beer's case, it was aged in Calvados Apple Brandy barrels. I haven't had but I'm tempted...

... But yeah, it's hard to justify at that cost.

No cellar raid for me. I'm on medication that is preventing drinking for a bit. That's probably a good thing. Need to cut back anyway.

Whoops I thought it was aged in unused white oak. Ok I change my judgment to that bottle being worth $20 or at most $22.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

That was my thought.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Nothing too special tonight, just some 2010 Expedition Stout. This is a staple in your cellar, isn't it? Pretty typical aged stout going on here. Dark fruit, roast, touch of oxidation, you know the drill. It just handles it all so well.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I had a FV13 from Allagash that I bought yesterday. I never had it before. It was a good beer. Would drink again A+.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

deadwing posted:

Nothing too special tonight, just some 2010 Expedition Stout. This is a staple in your cellar, isn't it? Pretty typical aged stout going on here. Dark fruit, roast, touch of oxidation, you know the drill. It just handles it all so well.

Expedition Stout is the only beer I want to intentionally cellar.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Cellar Raid Wednesday: Dageraad 8°. No date on the bottle, but I got it from the brewery in mid-December 2015.

It's "a lacto-fermented Belgian brune brewed with date sugar." I had a fresh one in December, and it was a boozy, syrupy-sweet mess. Nine months later, this bottle is a lot better. The booze and sweetness have balanced out, and there's some fruitiness coming through.

Still, it's not one of Dageraad's finer offerings. Hopefully the latest edition of 10° will be nicer.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

No. It is not even remotely worth $27. In fact, I thought the OAK AGED Bernardus 12 was just plain bad compared to plain ol' Bernardus 12. Try the oak aged only if you want to see how loving with a perfect thing can ruin it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

What's the source on these? I've seen two^H^H^Hthree more:

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 15, 2016

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
For Chicago goons, GI Belgian Fest is almost upon us on the 25th.

http://m.bpt.me/event/2592689

Also of note is Revolution's Oktoberfest the 23/24th.

http://revbrew.com/whats-new/detail/oktoberfest-party-at-revolution-brewing-kedzie-2016

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Also, Fobab tickets go on sale tomorrow morning at 10am cst.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Day-late Cellar Raid September 2016. Sante Adairius Rustic Ales, Lady in Grey, 2015 vintage.

For those who don't know, this is SARA's oak-fermented grisette, and weighs in around 4.8%. A friend of mine went on a trip to SARA and brought me back one of these, and I'm very glad he did. It poured with fine bubbles and not a ton of head, and what little was there dissipated very quickly. Nose is lemon and a slight graininess, and the taste is similar, though the graininess and lemon tartness are in better balance than the nose. I've had some tart saisons that basically tasted like sucking on a lemon, but that's not what I get here, it's a bit more restrained and balanced than that. I could drink this all day, and that makes me a bit sad because this is my only bottle. Any brewery that comes out with a beer even approaching this in 4 packs will get a lot of beer dollars from me.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Compusaurus posted:

For Chicago goons, GI Belgian Fest is almost upon us on the 25th.

http://m.bpt.me/event/2592689

Also of note is Revolution's Oktoberfest the 23/24th.

http://revbrew.com/whats-new/detail/oktoberfest-party-at-revolution-brewing-kedzie-2016

No Side Project this year? Weak. I want to drink Pulling Nails and Thicket all day like last year.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

LeafHouse posted:

No Side Project this year? Weak. I want to drink Pulling Nails and Thicket all day like last year.

Pulling Nails b4 is not good. Way too overly soured and not much else going on.

It's a shame, batches 2 and 3, were great.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah that list doesn't impress. That's 75% locals who I didn't even know did Belgian styles...

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

LeafHouse posted:

No Perennial either, and I doubt they'd both fall under "and others". Either way the miracle of no line for Side Project surely wouldn't have happened again anyway.

I definitely prefer PN3 to PN4, but I still think it's really good. Maybe I'll feel more strongly when I try the two side by side.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

The 2016 batch of Aurelian Lure is excellent. It's a shame they didn't make more.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Guess what motherfuckers. Its TEN FIDY SEASON

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
it's that season year round on the shelf

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I loving wish, this poo poo stops showing up in march here

air-
Sep 24, 2007

My car shat itself so why not just drink a poo poo ton :yayclod:

Cheers to goon provided Tired Hands Roomarak, that beer was mindblowing like last year's de Garde Anniversary. Very lambic like flavor and mouthfeel.

And this morning I woke up early to do a bottle share in line at Franklin BBQ. poo poo tons of stouts (Black Tuesday, Mocha Weds, some Cycle bottles) got brought out and the standout for me was Fonta Flora Urban Monk. Lots of roasted cocoa and real smooth.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So Zwanze day is the same day/time as Fresh Hop Fest here in Denver :negative:

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Did anyone make it to Snalleygaster today? I was pouring today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

cryme posted:

it's that season year round on the shelf

There's still a lot of Ten Fidy in private stores here in BC. I should check the date next time I see some.

Cracked one from last October a little while ago, and it was outstanding. I haven't had anything from a BC brewery that comes close.