Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush posted:

i like...i don't get this. it's not even one step removed from just building the thing for real, or running a circuit simulator. why do you need to make a video game about it?

it's like, i don't know, a game about cooking dinner. just cook dinner

when i was a child i neglected cleaning my room to play chibi-robo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i like...i don't get this. it's not even one step removed from just building the thing for real, or running a circuit simulator. why do you need to make a video game about it?

i played nhl on console with friends back in highschool, when i had full hockey gear and ample opportunities to find people to play with

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

after the asvab i got visited in person and called a few times at school by a recruiter who didnt wanto give up. the last time he told me he was gonna be at my school and wanted to meet with me i wore purple clothes and a "im waaaay over the rainbow" pin so he'd think i was gay but his wife got into a car accident that morning and was in critical condition and i never saw him again :getin:

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

the game is cheaper and you dont need to learn as much actual electronics poo poo
and honestly being able to make virtual versions of circuits and stuff do all the work instead of having to buy components is pretty cool imo

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

so it's like guitar hero but for turbonerds

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sudo Echo posted:

so it's like guitar hero but for turbonerds
so, rockband with pro controller?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

syscall girl posted:

-do you like sports?

-uh i snowboard

-awesome, do you like to party?

-i uh guess so (thinking about smoking weed)

-that's great because NOBODY PARTIES HARDER THAN THE MARINES!!!

-um okay i have to go now

looool

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Panty Saluter posted:

global warming is just volcanoes and solar cycles you guys, no need to fret :pseudo:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

it's also the only way to plug your headphones in, now that they've removed the jack

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

'anthropomorphic apple mouse with ahegao face gets thoroughly plugged', coming soon to deviantart.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

NoneMoreNegative posted:

'anthropomorphic apple mouse with ahegao face gets thoroughly plugged', coming soon to deviantart.

i had to read that with my own two eyes god drat

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
ugh, our highschool forced all juniors and seniors to take the asvab. . . i asked them why since i couldn't join the military (diabeetus) they were like "well in the future you may be able to"

recruiters still call me to this day, 16. . . 17 years later and I just go "don't y'all mark down somewhere this guy has diabetes and is not allowed to join somewhere? Are y'all really that hard up for recruits? I mean poo poo I know one of my friends kids graduating class just had like 30% of the graduates enlist. . . the gently caress man"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it's hard for me to imagine the kind of hosed up a high school would have to be to make everyone take the asvab

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Apocadall posted:

eh, i should have picked a different job but it's not the worst life and keeps you busy at least, and the pay isn't that terrible when you factor in all of the benefits and stuff

it's just mentally and physically draining

overall i didn't mind the military life that much, the routine to things was nice and though there was a lot of downtime you just felt like part of a big machine that operated surprisingly smoothly all things considered and i like that rigor and function it had

hard to find that again in the civilian world

Same, right down to the different job bit. I wouldnt do it again but i dont regret it.

I was army guard, which is a weird neither fish nor fowl state. On one jand you can have a pretty normal civilian life but on the other you dont get to do as much cool poo poo. Drill weekends wound up being vehicle maintenance and not a lot else, i didnt get to actually operate very much. I considered going active but never did....thay probably would have gotten me shipped to Bosnia

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wanna meet that mom

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KoRMaK posted:

Wanna meet that mom

Get your shovel

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wow there's a whole lot of literal psychopaths in yospos. who knew

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

"hurr basic training is cool. it's extremely fun to volunteer to go murder people around the world. durrrrrrrrrr"

yeah, uh, no. gently caress you. idiot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/misterbrilliant/status/665235385430208513

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've never served in the military but I've had lots of servings of pizza

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

Wanna meet that mom

I'll introduce you *wields katana*

burning swine
May 26, 2004

when I was a freshman in HS someone came into our classroom and passed around a sign-up sheet for the army ROTC program. One of my friends wrote my name on it as a joke and for the next 4 years I would get excused from class for ROTC events randomly. Usually I would just go to the park and take a nap, it was P. cool. Pretty sure that poo poo ended up on my transcript

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

this but unironically

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

GameCube posted:

"hurr basic training is cool. it's extremely fun to volunteer to go murder people around the world. durrrrrrrrrr"

yeah, uh, no. gently caress you. idiot

i wouldn't have phrased it that way, but... if you've been on the receiving end of war, esp. as a civilian, this rings true. there's a reason so many vets just don't talk about what they did/saw. people who've served without seeing action generally don't get it. and those that have seen action and are still all about that warrior life are certifiable lunatics.

i'm all about the eagle antidrone squadrons though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HifO-ebmE1s

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

WAR!
Huagh! What is it good for!?
Sacking out of classes!
Sing it again!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

WAR!
Huagh! What is it good for!?
Sacking out of classes!
Sing it again!
v. late on 9/11 chat but i always found it ironic that i was in a mandatory "business ethics" class when the towers were attacked

in other news, i was sick with a stupid summer cold all weekend. finished watching fargo s2 which owned and also finished ac black flag which, well, it was good, mostly, sort of

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Kenny Logins posted:

"business ethics"

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
i took one of those classes and they went in hard against loving over your employer (trying to teach that NDAs apply even to whistleblowing IP theft, which is very much not the case, for example)
at no stage did they say anything about not loving over employees or coworkers

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

everyone in my highschool took the ASVAB and then recruiters called you and pestered you to join up.

that thing is optional

a lot of schools don't tell students that

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMM4XYteqWI

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

epipen posted:

i took one of those classes and they went in hard against loving over your employer (trying to teach that NDAs apply even to whistleblowing IP theft, which is very much not the case, for example)
at no stage did they say anything about not loving over employees or coworkers
mine was more abstract/basic stuff like tragedy of the commons, prisoner's dilemma etc

it was pretty jarring to go from "capitalism doesn't necessarily mean stepping on someone else's neck, maybe possibly if you try hard enough???" to "unfettered capitalism's end game on display for the world" in the same hour

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've never served in the military but I've had lots of servings of pizza

when I was 26 and unemployed I was pretty close to joining the Marines.

my dad was a marine so I called him and asked what I should do and he said "don't join the loving Marines."

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

quote:

Made by Lir Chocolates exclusively for Tesco Ireland, the New Potatoes are delicious milk chocolate ganache smothered in white chocolate…
white chocolate :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/775600549219569664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Locked thread