Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Rectus posted:

They put the mast and cable lengths in there though. Even looking at the video, there is no way for them to reach and pull the cable by hand without clipping the rotors unless they hover/land the helicopter right next to the mast.

There was never supposed to be one, why is this hard to grasp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

sandoz posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gorilla Salad posted:

I would, 100% seriously, leave my home and move to the snow if someone offered me a job shooting cannons at mountains.

There's a stretch of Trans-Canada Highway going through the Rockies that's lined with pillboxes containing howitzers cannons.

I think they're all named after Shakespeare characters.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sandoz posted:

Actually, the problem in this case was the cable being too easy to grasp.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

There's a stretch of Trans-Canada Highway going through the Rockies that's lined with pillboxes containing howitzers cannons.

Exactly how tight is their security?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mak0rz posted:

Wait really? I've driven it dozens of times and have never noticed them.

e: Googling suggests it's all mobile howitzers operated from roadside turnouts and helicopter dropped charges.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 13, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

D1Sergo posted:

Good camera people in war zones, disaster situations, and reality TV are professionals on a level that I aspire to.

Which reminds me of the old kids TV show TISWAS - there was so much poo poo going on in the studio at any one time that they used camera crews from the news and sport divisions because they were used to ignoring all the poo poo going on around them and just Getting The Shot. I mean watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPvuhEAa_I

Yeah they move away from the immediate danger but the fuckers never once let go of their cameras or try to stop getting the shot. Bonus early 80s casual racism in there too.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

probably not very because where the gently caress are you going to get artillery shells?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Mak0rz posted:

They exist all over British Columbia but primarily in the Golden area and on the Coquilhala.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZLfboCceGA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SmokaDustbowl posted:

probably not very because where the gently caress are you going to get artillery shells?

What I'm asking is could you take them

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

chitoryu12 posted:

Evidently security is "put a tarp on it then dig it out from the snow as needed." Presumably the shells are kept somewhere else, but this is the OSHA thread.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

I now want to work for WSDOT

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Whatever, the Oregon Highway Patrol gets to blow up whales.

...Ahh, I've just been handed a correction: after what happened the last time, the Oregon Highway Patrol does not get to blow up whales.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

e: There's some great OSHA stories from those old films. A handful of people died filming the avalanche scene in Lost Horizon, achieved using the amazing practical effect of triggering a real loving avalanche, jesus christ.

There's an infamous story about the filming of the silent film Noah's Ark. The flood scenes would have tons of water rushing down the set and the director was careful to set up the cameras where they would not be in dangers. "What about the extras?" one of the crew asked.

"They'll just have to take their chances," he replied.

Three people were killed and hundreds were injured. That director went on to make Casablanca.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've never gotten to use it, and probably never will, but I keep an old tripod in the trunk of my car. So if I ever witness some disaster, I can set up the camera and run.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ma0SVjMHA

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

cool but no sense of scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li7khmyDD0w

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

I would, 100% seriously, leave my home and move to the snow if someone offered me a job shooting cannons at mountains.

it's extra cool when they miss the mountain:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/600121107/Shell-shocked-Errant-avalanche-bomb-rips-Pleasant-Grove-home.html?pg=all

quote:

PLEASANT GROVE — Scott and Lori Connors' family room looks like it was bombed. There are random holes in the walls, gashes in the fabric of the couch and chair. There's broken glass everywhere and a sheet of plywood where the window used to be.

Outside, a shed is in tatters, and there's a boulder-size crater in the lawn. Upstairs, there are pieces of shrapnel imbedded in the bathroom wall.

A large mirror has what looks like bullet holes in the glass.

It looks like it was bombed — because it was.

A 105mm howitzer shell fired near Sundance in Provo Canyon overshot its mark and landed with a bang in the Conners' back yard. The boom was heard over several blocks.

Debris from the 3 p.m. explosion Wednesday also damaged a car across the street from the Connors' home and two other houses in the vicinity of 1600 East and 500 South on the Pleasant Grove bench.

It was a miracle no one was killed or injured, said Scott Connors.

The Connors' 3-year-old son was lying on the family room floor watching television when the mortar exploded.

If he had raised his head or if he'd been standing, he would have been in the path of several bits of deadly flying shrapnel.

As it was, he was covered in broken glass and badly frightened, say his parents.

"He's telling everybody, 'Our house exploded!' " said Lori Connors.

Lori Connors chokes up when she thinks about it.

"Every time I walk downstairs, I think, "What if?' " she said.

"We figure it was a minor miracle. No. It wasn't minor," said Scott Connors.

Utah Department of Transportation officials, who have taken responsibility for the errant mortar, say the event is a rarity, even though they set off 560 rounds of explosive material every year in an attempt to control avalanche danger in the Provo, American Fork, Big and Little Cottonwood canyons.

"Of the tens of thousands of blasts done in Utah, there are extremely few incidents like this," said Liam Fitzgerald, supervisor for the Avalanche Safety Program in UDOT's Region 2.

"This one was recorded as a dud because the crew did not see or hear an explosion," Fitzgerald said.

Fitzgerald said the cannon was fired from a fixed launch site on the north side of Provo Canyon — a spot above Sundance — that's been used many times before.

"Most of our firing is done when we cannot see the target," he said. "That's when we have avalanches, when it's storming."

The blast was at least 3 miles off course. Avalanche-control operations are being temporarily suspended in Provo Canyon until officials can determine how the accident happened.

UDOT blames the misfire on too much gunpowder.

UDOT spokesman Geoff DuPaix said the shells come pre-packaged in bundles, so it isn't clear who is responsible for using the larger charge.

Carlos Braceras, UDOT deputy director, said UDOT takes responsibility for the accident and wants to make certain it doesn't happen again. Exact damage estimates are still coming in, but it could reach $100,000.

"We obviously have a little bit of work to do here," he said.

I bet the worker who "accidentally" blows up the least amount of houses has to buy everyone beer refreshing non-caffeinated soda pop that night.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

FuturePastNow posted:

I've never gotten to use it, and probably never will, but I keep an old tripod in the trunk of my car. So if I ever witness some disaster, I can set up the camera and run.

Robert Landsburg, killed during the eruption of Mt St Helens in 1980. Knowing he couldn't outrun the eruption he took photos of the pyroclastic cloud approaching his position, then rewound the film, placed it inside his camera bag, and carefully lay down on top of it in the hope that his body would preserve some of the footage.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

Robert Landsburg, killed during the eruption of Mt St Helens in 1980. Knowing he couldn't outrun the eruption he took photos of the pyroclastic cloud approaching his position, then rewound the film, placed it inside his camera bag, and carefully lay down on top of it in the hope that his body would preserve some of the footage.

well, post the god drat pictures man. someone died for this poo poo!

e: nm looked them up and got bummed out.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 13, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

train burnouts are so much cooler than cars

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Pulling into the Station, I see

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

There's a shot of the train in High Noon, when it's on its final approach to the station, which is taken from the tracks in front of it. I remember seeing a documentary about the film claiming that something went wrong when they were filming that, and the train just ran over and destroyed the camera, but they were able to recover the film.

There were two people standing with the camera, and they all got away, but it was the one who was not actually filming who started to say, "I think it's not stopping," and the one who was that kept saying "it's fine, this is a great shot."

e: There's some great OSHA stories from those old films. A handful of people died filming the avalanche scene in Lost Horizon, achieved using the amazing practical effect of triggering a real loving avalanche, jesus christ.

lmao

quote:

Another issue was that of casting the part of the High Lama. After a screen test of 56 year-old retired stage actor A.E. Hanson, Capra decided that he was just right for the part. He made a call to the actor's home, and the housekeeper who answered the phone was told to relay the message to Hanson that the part was his. Not long after, the housekeeper called back telling Capra that when Hanson heard the news, he had a heart attack and died. Subsequently, Capra offered the part to 58 year-old Henry B. Walthall. He died before shooting began. Finally, to play it safer age-wise, Capra cast Sam Jaffe who was just 45.[7]

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Phanatic posted:

Terrorism is about motivation, not action. If it's not done to terrorize it's not terrorism.

so this is way off topic but since you're posting in this thread fairly regularly hopefully you'll see this; in some other thread a really long time ago you wrote up a really great explanation about why FTL travel and communication under any theoretical circumstance is impossible because it breaks causality. do you run a website or anything that you post that sort of poo poo on? i've wanted to find it for some time to show people who think the alcubierre drive is super great

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Admiral Bosch posted:

so this is way off topic but since you're posting in this thread fairly regularly hopefully you'll see this; in some other thread a really long time ago you wrote up a really great explanation about why FTL travel and communication under any theoretical circumstance is impossible because it breaks causality. do you run a website or anything that you post that sort of poo poo on? i've wanted to find it for some time to show people who think the alcubierre drive is super great

No, I wrote that up for the spaceflight thread several iterations of it ago. It's nothing unique to me, I just drew spacetime diagrams in MS paint. Here's a good substitute, and here I quote a good post from an old physics thread.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Wow, in one article they manage to call it a mortar, a cannon, and a howitzer.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

tactlessbastard posted:

Wow, in one article they manage to call it a mortar, a cannon, and a howitzer.

and a bomb

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My god, can you imagine the payout of the lawsuit against the Utah DoT?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's going on here? Resurfacing the rails or something?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Baronjutter posted:

Hell train arriving for soul pickup.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://antipodeanarmour.blogspot.com/p/centurion-tanks-in-korea-report-by-lt-j.html

quote:

During the Apr battle the need for a second MG was felt, as angry little men climbed on the top of the tks and beat on the hatches with fists and rifle butts. One answer was to charge through a mud house, but this was NOT thought to be the real answer, as it increased the shortage of houses already made obvious by zealous gunners. It was thought further that it was better to stop people getting on in the first place. Therefore .30 BROWNINGS were obtained, rumour has it at high cost (in gin), and mounted on the comds cupola. This has a dual advantage in that it solved the problem of the angry little men, and also prevented crew comds from being garrotted by signallers, with their customary homicidal tendencies towards tk men. The fury of the R. Sigs knew NO bounds as their now harmless tight wire traps were time and again swept serenely aside by the advancing tanks. Personally I cherished NO animosity towards the Sigs and contented myself with merely immobilising 3/4 of Seouls tram car service by laying claim, vi et armis, to some 200 yds of overhead wire, which I took with me for some four blocks. Fortunately for me someone preceding me had touched the same wire and blown the fuze, or I might have got summary justice. It was hanging low anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTY9vdYrkMc

Yup. Rail grinder

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

C.M. Kruger posted:

During the Apr battle the need for a second MG was felt, as angry little men climbed on the top of the tks and beat on the hatches with fists and rifle butts. One answer was to charge through a mud house, but this was NOT thought to be the real answer, as it increased the shortage of houses already made obvious by zealous gunners. It was thought further that it was better to stop people getting on in the first place. Therefore .30 BROWNINGS were obtained, rumour has it at high cost (in gin), and mounted on the comds cupola. This has a dual advantage in that it solved the problem of the angry little men, and also prevented crew comds from being garrotted by signallers, with their customary homicidal tendencies towards tk men. The fury of the R. Sigs knew NO bounds as their now harmless tight wire traps were time and again swept serenely aside by the advancing tanks. Personally I cherished NO animosity towards the Sigs and contented myself with merely immobilising 3/4 of Seouls tram car service by laying claim, vi et armis, to some 200 yds of overhead wire, which I took with me for some four blocks. Fortunately for me someone preceding me had touched the same wire and blown the fuze, or I might have got summary justice. It was hanging low anyway.

Translation please? I don't speak Army.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/r0kRitI.gifv

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

Is that neo?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

At least he had an EZPass