Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, i backed at the 215$ level. That got you over 70 months of vip at 15 bucks each and some other useless stuff you could cash in for like 85 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

WE BOUGHT A CASTLE? HOTEL FOR GOONS?

Items can't be gifted until 9/1 so if people want to retroactively chip in with their dozens of extra VIP tokens that'd be the time to do it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I have a gold $175 pledge, not going to get credit for anything but I have a small Fort.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I have a gold $175 pledge, not going to get credit for anything but I have a small Fort.

If you have VIP tokens you can trade them in for $15 store credit each for the next few days which is what all the hubbub is about

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Capntastic posted:

If you have VIP tokens you can trade them in for $15 store credit each for the next few days which is what all the hubbub is about

What can you do with those store credits? I only have 9 months but that's $135 if I cash out. I know I can't do pledges but are you guys pooling it together?

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

What can you do with those store credits? I only have 9 months but that's $135 if I cash out.

Upgrayyed your fort, eventually buy cosmetics, etc.

I'm not really sure what the gameplay ramifications of having a buff as hell eternal kingdom is, really. It seems like you can get NPC crafters, trainers, and shopkeeps that sort of fill the roles that were there for Shadowbane cities. It also seems like certain structures give you minor skill training benefits or something? You can split land up between players in the same guild and they can build up their little areas in the way they want. I think that more land = more resource nodes for basic crafting materials.

Of course, eternal kingdoms are not where the majority of the game takes place, but is something like the hub world you and your guild set up. It's all very vague.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Let's get the $4000 Imperial Palace. They're raising the price by 3X so that's an incredible :siren:$12,000:siren: value!
https://backers.crowfall.com/#/store/78d8fe60-6327-11e6-a924-b544e0d47ecf

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Let's get the $4000 Imperial Palace. They're raising the price by 3X so that's an incredible :siren:$12,000:siren: value!
https://backers.crowfall.com/#/store/78d8fe60-6327-11e6-a924-b544e0d47ecf

They made it so people can't trade VIP tokens until after the price hike because people were pooling them and getting those, haw haw

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Capntastic posted:

They made it so people can't trade VIP tokens until after the price hike because people were pooling them and getting those, haw haw

What if you put it on layaway right now and used the store credit once you get it? Or maybe even use the store credit for the initial payment because it locks you in for the good price? That's what I did for my gold 2015 pledge since I was just going to wait and see how it turned out. Sure, you'd have to come up with the initial payment, but it'd save you from paying 3X the price.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

What if you put it on layaway right now

Naw, I'm fine using the credits I have on getting the already-ridiculously-huge castle

We gotta have something to work towards, anyways, right?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What can I get for my $30 pledge?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

BadLlama posted:

What can I get for my $30 pledge?

Depending on when you backed you might have a VIP token but I'd recommend keeping it since I don't think there's anything you can get for %15 plus the month of VIP might be good to have(??)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Naw, I'm fine using the credits I have on getting the already-ridiculously-huge castle

We gotta have something to work towards, anyways, right?

Well I just mean can you use store credit as the initial layaway payment? It would lock you in for the current pricing for 18 months (and if you didn't pay it off, whatever you put in would then be returned to you as store credit)

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Well I just mean can you use store credit as the initial layaway payment? It would lock you in for the current pricing for 18 months (and if you didn't pay it off, whatever you put in would then be returned to you as store credit)

If there was more hype for the game maybe but $4k of credit between however many posters we have here is way too much to attempt The mountain citadel is "only" $1.8k and even then I don't see people lining up to pool stuff so I don't think it's worth pursuing.

Edit: To clarify, don't put real cash money into this game, only use store credit you get from redeeming VIP tokens or "reserve a guild name" or whatever.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Capntastic posted:

Of course, eternal kingdoms are not where the majority of the game takes place, but is something like the hub world you and your guild set up. It's all very vague.

Yeah I get the feeling Artcraft hasn't pinned down exactly how it's going to work

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah I get the feeling Artcraft hasn't pinned down exactly how it's going to work

I can kind of dig it since not all guild members would be in the same campaigns at the same time, so having a Mother Base would be useful between shipping off to new campaigns. I'd just like it if there were the option for Kingdom vs Kingdom PVP or something.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
What I want to know is how much a KS Amber Patron Early Bird is worth to people looking to buy in...

Their trusted traders thing is a loving joke... $300 for that package? The VIP alone is over a grand in store credits.

Seeing as I just saw this poo poo about castles with an hour before they close the strongholds sale, I think I'm going to sit on the account for now. Apparently buildings in the larger structures have higher taxes on them? It's all too vague for me at the moment.

You can trade the VIP tokens in-game supposedly, so there will always be a cash-out option then.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Their trusted traders thing is a loving joke... $300 for that package? The VIP alone is over a grand in store credits.

Yeah if I had an easy avenue to put my credits to use in selling them, I'd've done so.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Capntastic posted:

WE BOUGHT A CASTLE? HOTEL FOR GOONS?

Items can't be gifted until 9/1 so if people want to retroactively chip in with their dozens of extra VIP tokens that'd be the time to do it.

Hopefully I can stick my medium sized fort in your castle. It should fit.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Hopefully I can stick my medium sized fort in your castle. It should fit.

I'll start stretching

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Capntastic posted:

I'll start stretching
Make sure your thumbs are in the right position.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

eSporks posted:

Make sure your thumbs are in the right position.

I was looking at the "here's the walls you can place for the castle" picture and trying to figure out how to make the goatse into a 300m wide goatse if seen from above.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Really good interview here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...MOs-the-Industr

As a shadowbane player really hoping this is good. Haven't given them money so hoping it doesn't screw anyone who didn't invest into it before we could see if it was good.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I was thinking about the old shadowbane days and I'm on the verge of doing something stupid like pledging this game.

Someone talk me out of it before its too latel

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

I was thinking about the old shadowbane days and I'm on the verge of doing something stupid like pledging this game.

Someone talk me out of it before its too latel

Do what I did, pledge the minimum amount for the tier you want on layaway and when you feel comfortable knowing what this game is going to be like, pay off the remaining amount or return whatever you put in for store credit to get the basic version.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Draynar posted:

Really good interview here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...MOs-the-Industr

As a shadowbane player really hoping this is good. Haven't given them money so hoping it doesn't screw anyone who didn't invest into it before we could see if it was good.

Wait, is this an actual thing Todd said in this interview, in response to asking if he approached publishers?

quote:

We did talk to some of them early on and I will say that the general response was that we were crazy, not because they thought that we couldn't get the technology to work or build it, but they thought the users would never buy it.

Like, I get the "gently caress publishers" mentality, but when this is the feedback you're getting from multiple publishers, you may need to rethink some things.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The same publishers that have been cranking out failure after failure because their only idea is "do the exact loving thing WoW did"? nah, I'm good with not listening to them.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

malhavok posted:

The same publishers that have been cranking out failure after failure because their only idea is "do the exact loving thing WoW did"? nah, I'm good with not listening to them.

Agreed. Also publishers were obviously wrong looking at amount of money they've raised. (I'm sure 7 grand castles help though for real wtf buys that poo poo?)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

malhavok posted:

It's clear as day that without crowdfunding, these types of MMOs would not be getting made unless the creators won the lottery. I'm just shocked that making a content driven themepark is still seen as "the smart business thing to do" when faced with a literal graveyard of dozens and dozens of projects that had 50-100 million dollar budgets.

Not only do these types of mechanically driven sandboxes cost significantly less ($20-30 million), pretty much every single one is still running (some on traditional $15/mo subscription models) and/or fondly remembered before someone hosed it up and shut it down.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 13, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

I'm just shocked that making a content driven themepark is still seen as "the smart business thing to do" when faced with a literal graveyard of dozens and dozens of projects that had 50-100 million dollar budgets.

It's not. That's why no one is making new MMOs.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's no shock to me that publishers would turn down a full loot PVP focused MMO. We haven't had a successful one in over a decade unless you count Day Z. The mainstream market wants to watch numbers climb not see gear lost.

For the love of all that is holy, I really hope they stick with the full loot plan. I don't know why Shadow babe decided to change it right before launch.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

eSporks posted:

It's no shock to me that publishers would turn down a full loot PVP focused MMO. We haven't had a successful one in over a decade unless you count Day Z. The mainstream market wants to watch numbers climb not see gear lost.

For the love of all that is holy, I really hope they stick with the full loot plan. I don't know why Shadow babe decided to change it right before launch.

its because full loot mmos always end in a scenario where new or returning players are quickly devoured and quit while vets complain no one is playing and quit

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

SweetBro posted:

It's not. That's why no one is making new MMOs.

Yeah this, I actually asked the devs if publishers were still only interested in making nothing but WoW clones and their answer was that basically they weren't interested in making MMO's at all.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

otoh rpg-like progression and loot whoring are everywhere now, so who needs mmos

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

mike12345 posted:

otoh rpg-like progression and loot whoring are everywhere now, so who needs mmos

a good point. turn crowfall into a diablo-like with fun combat and ditch the dumpster fire that is full loot mmo

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

its because full loot mmos always end in a scenario where new or returning players are quickly devoured and quit while vets complain no one is playing and quit

the establishment thing

thats why crowfall goes further and resets the world

the campaign times are going to vary and so are the rulesets, such as full loot

i think it will work out as long as they dont fragment everything so crazily to cater to everyone possible, especially carebears

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I mean EVE is, in a way, a "full loot" MMO. So I guess making a fantasy eve + some squiggly bits isn't the worst MMO business decision made over the past decade.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Blazing Zero posted:

I still think it can work, and be fun, but you can't implement it without caveats. For instance, Das Tal (now "The Exiled" because lol what's name recognition) has gear bonuses relatively minor, so losing it doesn't screw you. You always have an undropable tier 0 gear-set on you, so you can't lose your weapon and be unable to fight. Low level gear is easy to craft, and worn gear only has a percentage chance to drop, with better gear more likely to drop.

It disincentives killing newbies who have little to lose, and encourages groups of naked dudes to murder experienced players to steal their stuff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

Pavlov posted:

I still think it can work, and be fun, but you can't implement it without caveats. For instance, Das Tal (now "The Exiled" because lol what's name recognition) has gear bonuses relatively minor, so losing it doesn't screw you. You always have an undropable tier 0 gear-set on you, so you can't lose your weapon and be unable to fight. Low level gear is easy to craft, and worn gear only has a percentage chance to drop, with better gear more likely to drop.

It disincentives killing newbies who have little to lose, and encourages groups of naked dudes to murder experienced players to steal their stuff.

Full loot can work in systems where the gear is very easy to mass produce and the stats aren't nearly as important as ambushing and playing well.

A example from my experience I can think of is the early days in Minecraft on persistent PvP servers you full-loot anyone you kill and whatever gear they had can be replaced instantly so long as they have the resources and their home spawn isn't found and camped.
You could kill people with a wooden sword if you got the drop on them and diamond wasn't that far above iron and would quickly degrade and wasn't used much besides as swords.

The problem comes when the top end of gear is so far ahead of everything else that the person could kill a swarm of people while afk and they couldn't scratch him, like what happened in minecraft when they brought in enchanting and potions making iron just unable to scratch someone who grinded to get enchanted regening diamond.

So I might be interested in this game if the gear isn't a huge part of a players power and requires a massive grind to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Full loot can work in systems where the gear is very easy to mass produce and the stats aren't nearly as important as ambushing and playing well.

A example from my experience I can think of is the early days in Minecraft on persistent PvP servers you full-loot anyone you kill and whatever gear they had can be replaced instantly so long as they have the resources and their home spawn isn't found and camped.
You could kill people with a wooden sword if you got the drop on them and diamond wasn't that far above iron and would quickly degrade and wasn't used much besides as swords.

The problem comes when the top end of gear is so far ahead of everything else that the person could kill a swarm of people while afk and they couldn't scratch him, like what happened in minecraft when they brought in enchanting and potions making iron just unable to scratch someone who grinded to get enchanted regening diamond.

So I might be interested in this game if the gear isn't a huge part of a players power and requires a massive grind to get.

They've talked about campaigns where players aren't allowed to bring anything in, everyone starts with the same basic crap and has to build, scavenge or steal their way up. It's more like a longform MOBA in that regard