Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

it ending with ippo dead having never kissed a girl would be really funny, not dark

Elliot Rodgers: The Boxer

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Adnor posted:

Didn't he also have problems when inking for Umezawa hundreds of chapters ago?

yeah which was the start of this storyline, but they played it off as a temporary thing with the implication that he had to watch or it could come back. well turns out it has and hes dying

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm dying coach what do I do

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PUNCH HARDER

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Man, for all that Kamogawa's been shown to be pretty competent at developing a training regimen, he is absolute garbage ringside. Has he ever given useful advice ever?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he dropped ice down ippos shorts once

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

he dropped ice down ippos shorts once

Gotta cool that big ol' *ELEPHANT SOUND* down

I'm not even 25% through with this series, but I wish I had a word filter that turns Dempsey Roll in to Dirty Sanchez or Doobius Maximus

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

okay do if 1153 Raws are to be believed ippos straight punch drunk lol I honestly can't say where the story will go from here. But I may be misreading, the coach may just have concerns about his motivation but ippo himself thinks he might be punch drunk idk. Hopefully this is the last internal hurdle before the end game of the manga though,

This will be treated as a test of motivation for Ippo. If he really has the drive necessary to be champion, he would be fine with suffering health problems.*

* Kamogawa will say this

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1152 is out.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
It would be really tone deaf even for sports manga if CTE is treated as just another obstacle for him to willpower through and achieve his dreams, but I can't really see how else this goes.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Man, for all that Kamogawa's been shown to be pretty competent at developing a training regimen, he is absolute garbage ringside. Has he ever given useful advice ever?

Imagine how great Ippo's fighting would be if he was trained by any other trainer in the series.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The Lord of Hats posted:

Kamogawa has actively avoided giving ringside advice, despite thinking said advice to himself. I feel like this has happened on multiple occasions.

Edit: Spar without headgear! Great idea, Ippo.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 14, 2016

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

they wont ignore him being punch drunk if that is what he really is. morikawa is a huge Ashita No Joe fan, it can be seen written all throughout the story. AnJ took punch drunk syndrome gravely seriously so HnI won't gently caress around with it, it just remains to be seen what the vague wording Takamura is using right now means

but man i gotta say this chapter was really well done. the mood is appropriately dark, and the art's doing a good job conveying the seriousness of the situation. wanna see what happens so bad, i ahven't been this excited for this story in agessss

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is actually getting pretty interesting. First time in ages I've actually been curious about the plot of Ippo.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

1154 spoilers

sooo they chickened out, at least a bit. coach has him draw the line, and apparently its more or less straight. but the circumstantial evidence is no joke - ippos seriously hosed up from accumulated damage, if not punch drunk. so he's ordered to take at least a month off of training, after which he'll be assessed.

at least, story wise, this period will allow him to get his head together and finally confront the "monster" hurdle. he'll have to accept crossing the line and risking brain damage, which is a super real possibility for him at this point.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

To me he could be physically fine and the "broken" thing Takamura is talking about is 100% mental.

Ippo might be hesitating or evading in certain ways in the ring because of a specific fear from his last loss or from some hard shots he took before that's making him subconsciously gently caress up.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

That Works posted:

To me he could be physically fine and the "broken" thing Takamura is talking about is 100% mental.

Ippo might be hesitating or evading in certain ways in the ring because of a specific fear from his last loss or from some hard shots he took before that's making him subconsciously gently caress up.

i think that will be part of it, but 1153 really hints at the beginning of brain damage for him. that'll be the fear in the back of his mind he needs to get past, and will be what he is risking going forward, absolutely

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't believe how old this thing is and how little progress has been made. Coming from the anime, I thought Ippo would be in the US working his way up the ladder by now.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

I can't believe how old this thing is and how little progress has been made. Coming from the anime, I thought Ippo would be in the US working his way up the ladder by now.

Takamura doesn't even leave Japan for his fights and somehow his opponents are just okay that, Ippos never leaving that place if narrative wise Takamura somehow never has to.

Miyata and and Vorg did and both of them ended up being way more successful than Ippo ever was

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ippo not leaving japan makes a degree of sense, none of his opponents bar alf would have really been enough to draw him out.

only probably volg, date, sawamura and sendo were higher than national rank fihgters and all were japanese aside volg who was fighting in japan.. the asian champs were on ippos level but he was certainly more widely respected than them. alf tho, yeah ippo probs shouldve went to mexico or usa to fight him

takamura its just silly that he somehow has had all of his fights in japan.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

btw reminder that the literal final form of the dempsey (using the gazelle to close the distance on opponents who step back) was mentioned nearly 800 chapters ago

http://www.mangapanda.com/hajime-no-ippo/266/3

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

1152's ending was pretty cool. Interested to see where this goes and if this Mori will actually ever progress or end this thing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sorry Ippo, but if you want to make sure you'll be around to take care of the fishing business, you may want to quit now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think the coach dying could be what sends ippo over the edge. Which is dumb, but progress is progress I guess.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
just switch camps ippo, how dumb can you be

the coach has takamura right. Just leave those losers

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

man im dying waiting for the next chapter. i wanna see just how hosed up ippos brainis

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

tbp posted:

man im dying waiting for the next chapter. i wanna see just how hosed up ippos brainis

its actually just a huge horse dick fyi

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hajime no Ippo: looks like I've got brain problems!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you should all read baki, instead of this insanely bad manga imo

the strong is the beautiful

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I watched one of the seasons of the anime again because it as good and it just kinda reminded me how bad Kamogawa is

remember when Ippo fought Nao, and Nao literally cheated by prying Ippo's guard open and Kamogawa was like, "well it's against the rules but he's good enough to not get caught- I wouldn't stop him if I was his second!"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....you realize that getting away with the rules makes some peoples' professional sports careers, right? I mean, I will go ahead and come out and say it, there are players out there who aren't dirty, but they hide their cheating of the rules day in and day out, on every play, and have careers that way.

Justin Smith, former DT for the 49ers, would hold offensive linemen on almost every play. It didn't hurt that he was a hulking specimen of a cornfed farmboy, which completely sold the fact that you always had to put two guys on him, but you could always see him holding just a little bit.

Andrew Bogut, former Center for the Golden State Warriors, and now the Dallas Mavericks. 7 foot tall, and would hold the poo poo out of other players, but hey, he's loving 7 feet tall, obviously any contact is going to be the smaller player having to work their rear end off to defend him.

Floyd Mayweather, for a good chunk of his career, has always adopted this very extreme version of the Philly Shell, turning his lead shoulder inwards towards his chest, ducking his chin under the shoulder, and almost exposing his entire back and the back of his head to shots, then using his trailing hand to guard his face. As hits to the back are against the rules, It's a stance that legally denies an orthodox opponent anywhere to hit him with their right hand unless they want to eat penalties and disqualifications, and strongly defends against any lefts. It has gotten a little less extreme over the years, and his stance very plainly opens up to a more orthodox stance when he goes up against southpaws, but given that his seventh through 31st fights were all against orthodox boxers, without a doubt his early success with it led him to where he is now.

Are they paragons of sportsmanship? No.

Are they *dirty*? No.

Have they carved out successful careers for themselves? Yes.

Should Kamogawa have been yelling at the ref more? Probably.

The whole Nao thing is right up there, in my opinion.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 22, 2016

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Kamogawa sucks

Thethe only episode I couldn't get through was the Japanese vs the Comically Evil American Unjustified Invaders Who are Handing Out Chocolate Like Assholes

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Ytlaya posted:

This will be treated as a test of motivation for Ippo. If he really has the drive necessary to be champion, he would be fine with suffering health problems.*

* Kamogawa will say this

You kid, but let's remember what happened to Date in his re-match against Ricardo: Shattered jaw, broken ribs, broken hands, and KOed on top of that. And Date was actually good at technical boxing, with his pinpoint punch.

In all of Ippo's fights until Gonzalez, Ippo was always the one with more strength, and always capable of turning the fight around with one punch that broke his opponents ribs/shook their brains/took their legs away/made them afraid of closing in.

But that doesn't mean poo poo in the world stage, where the "monsters" are. Like Gonzalez showed, he was not only more technical, but could also go for a level of violence equal to Ippo's punches.

I hope this is the last motivational hurdle Ippo has to pass: facing the fact that, to become the champion, he'll have to be in fights that hold a much greater risk of damaging his body permanently. Like, I don't want to give Morikawa too much credit, but this might be the reason why Kumi went from baker shop attendant to nurse: there's no way she won't recognize Ippo's "broken-ness" and confront him about it, either before or after his next fight.

tbp posted:

I'm no doctor, but I'd guess at a combination of both build-up damage and, like That Works said, plain old fear. Just because Ippo is too stupid to realize the damage he's taking doesn't mean his brain is not registering it at some level.

Going over again those three panels where he gets knocked down, he eats a jab like always, but this time he flinches, lifting his head and being at the worst position for the second jab, with his guard down. Which then leads to getting hit on the head with full force and dazing him.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

you should all read baki, instead of this insanely bad manga imo

the strong is the beautiful

its good again!!!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I watched one of the seasons of the anime again because it as good and it just kinda reminded me how bad Kamogawa is

remember when Ippo fought Nao, and Nao literally cheated by prying Ippo's guard open and Kamogawa was like, "well it's against the rules but he's good enough to not get caught- I wouldn't stop him if I was his second!"

thats a legitimate thing in real boxing and in a ton of real sports, the real villain of HnI is the wildly incompetant referee who almost never calls penalties unless they're literal elbows and will never DQ a fighter despite them being near comatose

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Kal-L posted:

I hope this is the last motivational hurdle Ippo has to pass: facing the fact that, to become the champion, he'll have to be in fights that hold a much greater risk of damaging his body permanently. Like, I don't want to give Morikawa too much credit, but this might be the reason why Kumi went from baker shop attendant to nurse: there's no way she won't recognize Ippo's "broken-ness" and confront him about it, either before or after his next fight.

i don't think giving mori credit is a bad idea, to be fair. he wrote some silly fights for a good stretch of chapters but he has almost always been really on point with esstablishing themes and having long term payoff. the current storyline was established AGES ago when ippos mom got hospitalized, the final dempsey had the groundwork laid all the way back to the sendo fight, takamuras eye became a problem almost immediately following hawk and will probably come up again, etc. basically i think that despite losing his way with some boring rear end fights that dragged on for way too long, the themes of the story have always been super solid and the payoff is typically good which is why im pretty excited for where the story goes now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

its good again!!!

for now. baki is extremely good and all times and you'd enjoy it. who doesn't want to read a manga where a man has his fist chopped off with wire and thanks the guy and punches him with the stump

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

1153 and 1154 are out, these are two of the best chapters in ages. im glad they're not shying away from this storyline

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kal-L posted:

Like, I don't want to give Morikawa too much credit, but this might be the reason why Kumi went from baker shop attendant to nurse: there's no way she won't recognize Ippo's "broken-ness" and confront him about it, either before or after his next fight

Kumi: sorry ippo but i don't date broke dudes

I bet that if Ippo quits boxing Miyata will coincidentally pass by his house every single morning and give him a look of deep disappointment. This will continue for years until Ippo finally hangs himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tbp posted:

1153 and 1154 are out, these are two of the best chapters in ages. im glad they're not shying away from this storyline
It's almost like there's dramatic tension!