Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

quote:

Once upon a time, I used to play Air Combat Games IRL and on PC.

There was no such thing as "bloom".

There is only muzzle velocity, stability... range and impact.

Bloom is bullshit and can be avoided by balanced simple physics.

"Bloom" is the way of the lazy dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The alternative to bloom is reticle sway which is even worse because the game is rubbing your face in the RNG.

Or they can make every gun a perfect laser beam giving XIM users even more of an advantage. :jerkbag:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
when people got mad at bloom in halo reach it made me laugh because it's been in every halo game (and you know, a lot of/most other shooters) although I'm not quite sure how it interacts with recoil and stability in Destiny.

it's just that that was when they added an actual visual indicator and suddenly people were all pissy.

like it's just a mechanic that makes you pace your shots. Burst fire instead of spray. Although hand cannon right now in Destiny are hosed, especially how it interacts with the range stat.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Bloom is fine. What isn't fine is attaching it to range even after the weapon has settled.

wtf Bungie?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Introducing Trent Bloom - now with a larger cone

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

hitchensgoespop posted:

Fired up the game for a few games last nigt, went into PvP solo

Found your problem.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Bloom is fine. What isn't fine is attaching it to range even after the weapon has settled.

wtf Bungie?

They have to do something, they're trying to balance way more weapons than any FPS ever has and avoid situations where one gun is BIS for all situations.

They could certainly handle it better though, like if you hit a target outside the effective range you get the little "invulnerable" text like shotguns sometimes get.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

xzzy posted:

Or they can make every gun a perfect laser beam giving XIM users even more of an advantage. :jerkbag:

Yes please.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bloom as in 'repeated shots are less accurate even if you are perfectly on target each time' is lame but whatever

Bloom as in 'My perfectly lined up shot on his head while I and my target are stationary misses' is loving awful and stupid and bad, and that exists in Destiny right now, on HCs and Scouts both (really any gun, but its most miserable on HCs, you aren't going to notice or care on an AR or pulse quite as much)

Damage falloff accomplishes the same goal of preventing a weapon from being too dangerous outside whatever range, and is far less infuriating than aiming your weapon spot-on while ADS at a target, pulling the trigger and missing

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Damage drop off seems like a better answer than bloom to me

But if you read the comments on reddit about "effective range" I don't think that would be acceptable to them in any way that mattered.

Really Bungie just needs to ignore Reddit and their forums and just ask me what to do

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I may be a casual, but I don't find anything wrong or strange with the weapons on the game.

Other than automatic rifles having 1/4 of the dead potential in other games, and 1/4 of the magazine. .. but maybe this is necesary so other weapon types can shine.

I am not saying the weapons are good and everything is correct. If you guys say that theres a problem, I believe it. I say that must not be a huge problem, because casuals like me don't notice it.

Anyway, I have never found "weapons talk" all that interesting, except when talking about exotics.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

victrix posted:

Bloom as in 'My perfectly lined up shot on his head while I and my target are stationary misses' is loving awful and stupid and bad, and that exists in Destiny right now, on Scouts

Either I'm the world's greatest shot with a Scout rifle or this doesn't happen

I mostly use high impact scouts too so I'd notice a perfect shot not hitting

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I started noticing Bungie's "bloom" most when I rolled an alt and had nothing but that blue scout rifle they give you for popping a Spark of Light. It's just a no frills med/high impact scout with good stability but jesus Christ was it hilariously unreliable at easy scout rifle range. Something that MIDA doesn't suffer from AT ALL. That shouldn't happen.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I started noticing Bungie's "bloom" most when I rolled an alt and had nothing but that blue scout rifle they give you for popping a Spark of Light. It's just a no frills med/high impact scout with good stability but jesus Christ was it hilariously unreliable at easy scout rifle range. Something that MIDA doesn't suffer from AT ALL. That shouldn't happen.

The scouts that I use regularly are around 80 range (Colovance's, Badger CCL) so that'd explain why I'd never see it

But I never see it on MIDA either and that has like 55 range, right?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

deadwing posted:

Either I'm the world's greatest shot with a Scout rifle or this doesn't happen

I mostly use high impact scouts too so I'd notice a perfect shot not hitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ24eDTg_s4&t=141s

It does, you definitely won't notice it as much on scouts as you will on HCs, both due to the better range and the rate of fire

It just feels loving awful on HCs. I miss the Y1 super range HCs you could snipe across entire PvE maps with :v:

I don't care if I aim at a dude across the map in PvP and hit him for 10 with a HC, as long as it loving hits when I'm on target.

When you aim perfectly at a guy in the same room with you and miss, was it lovely lag, or did your bullet deviate? Who knows!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Man, are HCs even good in the game meta? I stopped maining with HCs a while back.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

That's an auto rifle

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.twitch.tv/mlg

the mlg stream is on, maybe we'll get private lobbies after or during or whenever

also it's funny because I think everyone has been introduced as "real good with the shotguns"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

deadwing posted:

That's an auto rifle

I know, I mean it applies to every gun - it's just way more noticeable on HCs due to their range/accuracy settings and how much of your damage is tied up in every shot.

It's also not nearly as big of a deal to miss a scout shot at mid-long range unless the dude has a sniper. Miss one shot with your HC against the rear end in a top hat blink sliding at you with a shotgun? :rip:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PassTheRemote posted:

Man, are HCs even good in the game meta? I stopped maining with HCs a while back.

Other than TLW and possible Thorn in a week, no.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Thorn will be garbage in Y3.

TLW is literally the only HC worth using and I struggle to even call it a HC because of how different it is.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

haveblue posted:

Other than TLW and possible Thorn in a week, no.

Are you insane? The high end meta is literally 81impact HCs with rifled and max impact shotguns with Max range.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah. The try hards have all moved on from the PDX/Hawksaw to the Esyluna (with LitC if possible!)

I mean you still see the other guns but it seems to have shifted.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

victrix posted:

I know, I mean it applies to every gun - it's just way more noticeable on HCs due to their range/accuracy settings and how much of your damage is tied up in every shot.

It's also not nearly as big of a deal to miss a scout shot at mid-long range unless the dude has a sniper. Miss one shot with your HC against the rear end in a top hat blink sliding at you with a shotgun? :rip:

He slapped Injection Mold on there to make it seem way worse than it is, why would you ever use a high impact auto rifle with only 25 range

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I stand corrected, then. I thought it was still high ROF pulses and doctrine/claw ARs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't got no LiTC eyasluna but I have a rangefinder + braced frame one and it feels super nice to use in crucible. Third eye is pretty nice too because I can hardscope corners and pop heads.

LiTC is a cheese perk that shouldn't have ever been put into the game.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It's banned in sweats

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I also roll with a Handcannon as my PvP primary weapon and have done so for a long time. It's definitely viable since the Time To Kill is low with most of them. I can't stand to use them unless they have SureShot scopes, however. Braced Frame is also highly sought after.

To contribute to the conversation about 'ghost' bullets: I always understood that if I'm shooting at too extreme a distance with a Hand Cannon, then the bullets are going to fly off in random directions sometimes. It just means you have to make sure you're engaging at distances your cannon is reliable at or else expect bullets to whiff. It became a lot more noticeable after the April update when they lowered HC ranges across the board (if I remember correctly). I agree that I'd prefer damage dropoff to just be made more severe instead, but I doubt Bungie will implement any change that drastic as it's a fundamental reworking of their 'accuracy' stat and would necessitate a complete review of all weapons in the game to make sure they're all in line with each other.

All we can hope is that they use a better system for Destiny 2, or at least a more flexible system that allows for more drastic changes to gun properties without causing huge headaches in regards to balance. Probably won't happen.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

victrix posted:

Bloom as in 'repeated shots are less accurate even if you are perfectly on target each time' is lame but whatever

Bloom as in 'My perfectly lined up shot on his head while I and my target are stationary misses' is loving awful and stupid and bad, and that exists in Destiny right now, on HCs and Scouts both (really any gun, but its most miserable on HCs, you aren't going to notice or care on an AR or pulse quite as much)

Damage falloff accomplishes the same goal of preventing a weapon from being too dangerous outside whatever range, and is far less infuriating than aiming your weapon spot-on while ADS at a target, pulling the trigger and missing

But in the video, the shooter is outside the range. Below are two screen caps from the video. I made the cross hairs stand out more in each photo. In the top one, any shot will land within the white circle. ADSing it wills till fall between the 2 green lines on the thorn sights. I added the white to show the circle.

The range they want you to play at is very close, but every bungie game since Halo CE used the circle sights to represent accuracy before bloom makes it get even larger. The dot covers most of the opponents head, and leave a lot of room to miss.

Edit - I suck at posting pictures.

Last_Taste fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 13, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I get that, I'm saying that missing your first shot is loving dumb in all situations, in or out of range.

I don't like bloom (as in, repeated shots causing bullet deviation), but it's manageable.

You can't do anything about your bullet deciding to miss on the first shot. It'd bug me way less if the bullet still hit but did less damage.

'I hit but did low/bad damage' is a clear indicator you're outside your guns effective range, 'I missed' could be bloom, could be lag, could be bad aim, who knows? It can favor you the other way too, a shot to their chest instead turns into a crit. Adding that extra die roll to combat feels bad.

I enjoyed tuning into that mlg stream and hearing 'sweaties' within three seconds.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
Go go private matches (now).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

Go go private matches (now).

Oh shi, time to find every location you can mortar the enemy team with grenades and nova bombs on every map

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

victrix posted:

Oh shi, time to find every location you can mortar the enemy team with grenades and nova bombs on every map

I'll wait until someone with way more time than me makes a YouTube video.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

victrix posted:

I get that, I'm saying that missing your first shot is loving dumb in all situations, in or out of range.

I don't like bloom (as in, repeated shots causing bullet deviation), but it's manageable.

You can't do anything about your bullet deciding to miss on the first shot. It'd bug me way less if the bullet still hit but did less damage.

'I hit but did low/bad damage' is a clear indicator you're outside your guns effective range, 'I missed' could be bloom, could be lag, could be bad aim, who knows? It can favor you the other way too, a shot to their chest instead turns into a crit. Adding that extra die roll to combat feels bad.

I enjoyed tuning into that mlg stream and hearing 'sweaties' within three seconds.

TF2 dealt with that fairly I think.. with pistols, your first bullet always goes straight down the crosshairs, and every subsequent bullet gets additional bloom applied to it. If you stop firing for one second it resets and you get another perfect bullet.

Discourages spam fire rather well while also rewarding precision.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I love the Thorn.

I will take a nerf to it has a indication that Year 3 will have a similar weapon. Maybe a scout rifle with the same effect.

We can't have a whole year without people screen turning green. I don't allow it, It can't be, It will not be.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tei posted:

I love the Thorn.

I will take a nerf to it has a indication that Year 3 will have a similar weapon. Maybe a scout rifle with the same effect.

We can't have a whole year without people screen turning green. I don't allow it, It can't be, It will not be.

Tei I've been gone a year and did not miss Destiny, but I definitely missed your posts :v:

Also you're in luck, there is a pretty similar weapon (Thorn is year 3 confirmed)

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

New (?) dead ghosts available on crucible maps.

Also you can play Rift with sparrows in private games

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Roman posted:

New (?) dead ghosts available on crucible maps.

Also you can play Rift with sparrows in private games

What the what

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

1v1me sparrows only or u scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
RIP