Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Reminder for everyone: it literally does not matter what the Trump foundation did at all.

I think it's too early to say that this won't matter. Regular people get pretty pissed at false claims of charity. Going around saying you give all sorts of money, and then it turns out it's yet another Trump scam is something that everyone not already super committed for Trump will care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Obamas approval rating is on the edge of breeching 60%. 2 years ago literally no one expected that. If Obama can keep pushing the fact that Hillary will largely be a continuation of his administration that would be awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Obamas approval rating is on the edge of breeching 60%. 2 years ago literally no one expected that. If Obama can keep pushing the fact that Hillary will largely be a continuation of his administration that would be awesome.

The GOP is dead set on that message too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

computer parts posted:

You probably can't name the second president of the 20th Century, or you think that it's actually Taft.

I did get the right answer, although upon double-checking I see that my reasoning was wrong.

Either way, that was more than 100 years ago, not 50, and I wouldn't call myself politically active, just aware enough to shitpost here and vote for the right people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lightning Knight posted:

I honestly read as a gay joke. The implication being "line up to debase yourself (read: bend over) for the Trump train."

what happened to you

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Obama just owned everybody.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

what happened to you

The Trump train doesn't stop for anyone. :smith:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/lynnsweet/status/775755138912825344

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Meanwhile, to a crowd of about 1500 white people, David Duke Donald Trump: “I say this to the African-American community: It can’t get any worse... You can't walk down the street without getting shot."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit: or to put it another way, ask current young Democrats why LBJ or JFK were good presidents worth defending the legacy of.
The Civil Rights Act and, uh... vague feelings of Camelot.

Seriously, what did JFK actually do while he was alive I am bad at this politics thing :(

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Deified Data posted:

Am I being oversensitive or does "line up for Trump" come with concentration camp connotations?

It...it does, right?
Nah, more like Nuremberg Rally.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah. This election makes a strong case for parliament style elections and government.

The UKPol thread makes a strong case for never doing this, ever

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seriously, what did JFK actually do while he was alive I am bad at this politics thing :(
Vietnam

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol National Review Online re-uploaded the Trump article to make it clear it was an opinion column from a single person and not the opinion of the NRO

https://twitter.com/NRO/status/775753578489217025

Oh they all support it and they're now comfortable with being an openly fascist publication, I wish they'd have the guts to take ownership of it

but then we wouldn't be having a laugh if they'd had the guts to stick with their first position, or actually believed in anything other than "take everything and kill anyone who you perceive as even approaching your treasure hoard"

Deified Data posted:

Am I being oversensitive or does "line up for Trump" come with concentration camp connotations?

It...it does, right?

Nah, as said, it's more like Triumph of the Will

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
While scanning that NRO article I found this

http://www.nrcruise.com/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Not go to war over Cuba.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

vorebane posted:

For way back, but I would like this too, there's probably a megathread already, I dunno. Mother Jones is cool.

Kevin Drum is annoying though. Even when he's right he writes the stupidest low content click bait bullshit.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Deified Data posted:

It...it does, right?

"Just do what you are told" lines up well with those who love authoritarians.

To those who do not love authoritarians, it's creepy.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Keeping Curtis LeMay on a short leash so that we didn't blow up the world over Cuba.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm phone posting so I don't really want to do details, but to be brief, I kind of don't like JFK as President and I think he's overrated because of the martyr effect. Either of his brothers probably would've been better Presidents, but both of them died tragically, so JFK had to grow up and take the family mantle instead of being a playboy partier forever. JFK probably did more good dead, as a bloody shirt for LBJ to wave, than as an actual President. At least, in my opinion.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lastgirl posted:

good but also bad

time for cleaner energy sources imo
I agree.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Augus posted:

Obama just owned everybody.

That voice from the crowd yelling 'And gas is 2$ a gallon!' and he just works it in right away.

He's so good.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

JFK laid the rhetorical groundwork for a lot of the social, scientific and economic programs that Johnson was ultimately able to accomplish. Whether Kennedy himself would have been willing or able to achieve Johnson's success in terms of putting together the War on Poverty, Great Society, Civil Rights and Voting Acts, etc. isn't totally clear. Kennedy and his brother also cracked down hard on organized crime, which was a much bigger deal back then than it is now.

There's also the Cuban Missile Crisis, which could have easily spun out of control if someone more hotheaded and bellicose than Kennedy (Johnson, for example, was a hardliner during these meetings) had been the one ultimately calling the shots. Then again, there were plenty of foreign policy blunders during Kennedy's administration, too, so you gotta take the good with the bad.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
#TrumpTwitterarti with a blistering Response:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zoux posted:

The GOP is dead set on that message too.

They wrote their playbook in 2014 and can't deviate from it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Another one is crack down on the mob.

(Which depending on your grassy knoll status is a good or a bad thing.)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

press is gonna be so maaaaaad

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hey, anyone still in a good mood today? If so please let this article repeatedly kick you in the balls until you're doubled over and coughing up blood:

West Virginia cop fired for not killing a man with an unloaded gun

That's not a typo and it's actually much worse than the headline leads you to believe!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They wrote their playbook in 2014 and can't deviate from it.

Except the part where an open white nationalist hijacked things instead of the usual covert one.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Deified Data posted:

It...it does, right?

I was thinking line up to be first against the wall, but yeah same idea.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

"Just do what you are told" lines up well with those who love authoritarians.

To those who do not love authoritarians, it's creepy.

My first mental image was lining up to get shot backwards into the mass grave you just dug. That shouldn't be my first mental image for anything.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

While scanning that NRO article I found this

http://www.nrcruise.com/

If I've learned anything from Chapo Trap House, it's that there are certain... implications to any sort of boat trip with people from the National Review.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Cythereal posted:

How the gently caress is "We don't agree with the KKK" such a hard thing for the GOP to say? Yeah I know some if not many of them agree with the KKK, but it's like the GOP doesn't want minorities voting for them.

Alienating your base is a large hurdle.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Night10194 posted:

That voice from the crowd yelling 'And gas is 2$ a gallon!' and he just works it in right away.

He's so good.

He works it really well, but I'm really tired of the POTUS getting credit for the price of gas, because that's mostly controlled by things outside the President's control.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

vorebane posted:

For way back, but I would like this too, there's probably a megathread already, I dunno. Mother Jones is cool.

Periodicals Thread.

It's been pretty dormant but if someone kickstarts it I'll start posting regularly in there again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

even for Trump thats weak

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nope this isn't a dog whistle at all why are my ears bleeding

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Hey, anyone still in a good mood today? If so please let this article repeatedly kick you in the balls until you're doubled over and coughing up blood:

That's not a typo and it's actually much worse than the headline leads you to believe!

Note what made the difference - his "marine training". Soldiers don't shoot as quickly as cops. Think about that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is loving hilarious, made my day better thank you.
Now WV cops will be shooting everything in case they get canned lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Also the space programme, it may have started as a way to funnel money into rocket research, but he's a huge part of the reason we went to the moon in 1969.

canepazzo posted:

Meanwhile, to a crowd of about 1500 white people, David Duke Donald Trump: “I say this to the African-American community: It can’t get any worse... You can't walk down the street without getting shot."

I thought he was against police reform?

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 13, 2016

• Locked thread