Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
can someone make the bingo sheet for this set and make "this would (not) go into affinity" the free space thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Whirler virtuoso owns. You could play it with 0 other energy cards and it'd own. But it provides an energy outlet and generates energy efficiently. Really the theme of Kaladesh seems to be borne out in the cards. You have many options to explore, and all of them are enticing. That is, there is no single right answer.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

This card has the word "artifact" in it could it maybe be good enough for affinity?????

c'mon man, it costs more than 2.

clearly it's a tron card

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

whydirt posted:

The flavor text is a deck-building analogy.

It's the first pull quote in the next CML article

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I think that W enchantment might be a good card for a Junk sideboard in modern to give you enough time to drop Rhinos. Hatebears might even run it as more Thalias.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

This card has the word "artifact" in it could it maybe be good enough for affinity?????

You know what's a really good Affinity card?
Shatterstorm.

That red 1 drop looks legit thougj, and they've shown plenty of cheap expendible artifacts already.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think that W enchantment might be a good card for a Junk sideboard in modern to give you enough time to drop Rhinos. Hatebears might even run it as more Thalias.

New thalia isn't really seeing much play, and this definitely isn't better than anything already in hatebears sideboards. I don't think junk cares either, it runs enough removal and chump blockers to generally not care about hasty aggro decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

sarmhan posted:

Whirler virtuoso owns. You could play it with 0 other energy cards and it'd own. But it provides an energy outlet and generates energy efficiently. Really the theme of Kaladesh seems to be borne out in the cards. You have many options to explore, and all of them are enticing. That is, there is no single right answer.
I'm kindof surprised it has no anti-abuse clause (eg "activate this once per turn"). Right now it would be a 4 card combo (with either Aetherstorm Rock or Decoction Module) but you can get redundancy from Saheeli (who's on-color) and Panharmonicon.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

sarmhan posted:

Have a planeswalker.

This planeswalker is so boring that the thread talked about it for five posts and then just forgot about it. This is also nearly completely flavorless. I don't see how this is the best they could come up with, because this seems like an intro pack planeswalker.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

You know what's a really good Affinity card?
Shatterstorm.

Shatterstorm says "artifacts." Clearly not good in affinity.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i mean +1 self protect -1 value -7 win the game

seems good enough?

not much else to say since the modes are pretty unconditional in value.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

That card is going to be a pain in the rear end to deal with if it has a place in a deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

This planeswalker is so boring that the thread talked about it for five posts and then just forgot about it. This is also nearly completely flavorless. I don't see how this is the best they could come up with, because this seems like an intro pack planeswalker.

I think the card is fine, just boring. +1 protect -(n) CA -a lot ult. It's the exact same template as Kiora 1 or Jace AoT. It's probably going to see some Standard play and none in larger formats, what else is there to say.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zoness posted:

seems good enough?

It's fine, but it's the most boring planeswalker, and doesn't actually have anything special about it that makes it specific to the character. This could easily have been a UW Jace.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

seems good enough?

It's a significantly worse, color-locked version of Jace, Architect of Thought in a format in which blue appears to be arguably worse than it was last season and dramatically worse than the seasons in which Jace was legal. If you're playing in W/B, I can't really envision splashing blue to play this card given that WB Control wasn't splashing blue for Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

The power level in a vacuum seems reasonable, but not particularly high compared to the other 4-drop Planeswalkers that will be legal.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

if a uw control deck shows up in standard it will be played in it but god forbid if that happens again.

please feel free to quote me in a few months when they reprint sphinxs rev

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a significantly worse, color-locked version of Jace, Architect of Thought in a format in which blue appears to be arguably worse than it was last season and dramatically worse than the seasons in which Jace was legal. If you're playing in W/B, I can't really envision splashing blue to play this card given that WB Control wasn't splashing blue for Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

The power level in a vacuum seems reasonable, but not particularly high compared to the other 4-drop Planeswalkers that will be legal.

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is much, much worse in a format without fetches.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i mean its worse than jace beleren. of course jace beleren ended up being wildly underrated.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is much, much worse in a format without fetches.

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is not, much, much worse than Dovin Baan in any format.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
there's not much to disagree about here, is why there's not much to discuss

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bant: a bad colour combination in standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

i mean its worse than jace beleren. of course jace beleren ended up being wildly underrated.

Is it actually? Beleren couldn't protect itself and the -1 here gives a pretty reasonable shot of life too.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hellsau posted:

Feels like one they designed for a commander pre-con that they instead decided to shove in here instead. The utter lack of flavor is just weird.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Shortest Path posted:

That is one hell of a Modern sideboard card.

It's perfect against Splinter Twin. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

It's perfect against Splinter Twin. :v:

Uh oh.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I see no reason why the stock control deck will continue to be WB with Languish, Read the Bones, and Coco rotating.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it actually? Beleren couldn't protect itself and the -1 here gives a pretty reasonable shot of life too.

Beleren only cost 3 and his + being a +2 protected him in a weird way because sometimes your opponent would look at it and go "no gently caress attacking that". If not, it would buy you a lot of time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

i think the cmc difference makes it a lot better, yeah. this thing is pretty weak for being a multicolored 4 drop.

Elyv posted:

Beleren only cost 3 and his + being a +2 protected him in a weird way because sometimes your opponent would look at it and go "no gently caress attacking that". If not, it would buy you a lot of time.

using the both players draw a card mode felt bad but 5 loyalty on turn 3 is a lot to punch through, yeah.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I see no reason why the stock control deck will continue to be WB with Languish, Read the Bones, and Coco rotating.

What are you getting by adding blue? Counterspells aren't good when you don't have any good card draw, which blue does not.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Angry Grimace posted:

What are you getting by adding blue? Counterspells aren't good when you don't have any good card draw, which blue does not.

Are you kidding? They hosed up the color pie horribly by giving blue an instant speed Naturalize.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So can we say that with the spoilers shown, this is the new type of whitewashed MTG planes? They replaced whatever not-Indian creatures with elves and dwarves and added the steampunk. We used to laugh about how a revisited Kamigawa would be nothing but samurai, ninjas, and catgirls. I don't think I've seen a single Rakshasa when there were some in Tarkir. :psyduck:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Edit: Reading comprehension.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

if a uw control deck shows up in standard it will be played in it but god forbid if that happens again.

please feel free to quote me in a few months when they reprint sphinxs rev

We could only hope to be so lucky as to see Sphinx's Rev Reprinted.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chill la Chill posted:

So can we say that with the spoilers shown, this is the new type of whitewashed MTG planes? They replaced whatever not-Indian creatures with elves and dwarves and added the steampunk. We used to laugh about how a revisited Kamigawa would be nothing but samurai, ninjas, and catgirls. I don't think I've seen a single Rakshasa when there were some in Tarkir. :psyduck:

http://talinthas.tumblr.com/post/150111624732/kaladesh-you-break-my-heart#_=_

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
this guy knows that the japanese folklore set "failed" because it was a better simulacrum of japanese folklore than people wanted right

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

nope, nobody knows anything, mock away

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thank you, this is a good read.

Zoness posted:

this guy knows that the japanese folklore set "failed" because it was a better simulacrum of japanese folklore than people wanted right
We can still laugh at WOTC making it white nerd friendly with the steampunks and the goggles and what I assume is cultural appropriation to add just the necessary amount of flavor.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Zoness posted:

I call bullshit there wasn't even one catgirl or schoolgirl or mecha.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's OK to have a mechanics based set with non-white people in it IMO.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

SoftNum posted:

I call bullshit there wasn't even one catgirl or schoolgirl or mecha.

is kentaro the smiling cat not kawaii enough for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

"As a white guy I..." *shits pants*

• Locked thread