Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Elephanthead posted:

Ponyta is now my buddy until I have enough candy to stuffs down its throat.

Literally just hatched one that gave me enough candy to evolve my FLAMING. loving. UNICORN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.
There's a stop near my work that get's lured occasionally during the lunch hour.

I'm already numb to the spawn rates but I can't imagine how disheartening this is for new players:

Lure Module posted:

- 7x Ratata
- 2x Spearow
- 1x Pidgey

Niantic: If you want players to spend money on incense and lure modules (and not just pocket-purchase them), tune your RNG!

A pack of MTG cards comes with something like 7 commons, 3 uncommons, and 1 rare/legendary. People are happy to buy these. Learn from this.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Update just dropped here. I love the new feature where you can poke the Pokemon and it does a little action pose :3:

Edit: jesus christ Blanche scared the poo poo out of me, they made the appraisal graphics and text box huge

Hazo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 13, 2016

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Eveything loads super slow and whenever I try to catch a pokemon it just hangs at a white screen, what the gently caress

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.

Hazo posted:

Edit: jesus christ Blanche scared the poo poo out of me, they made the appraisal graphics and text box huge

And the gradient colour effect is really a noobie graphic designer thing. Should be much more subtle if included at all.

The zoomed in Trainer and huge text should have probably been included as a "Larger Fonts / Ease of Access" settings option.

I'm getting noticeably more lagging / longer loading from this update as well. Buddy system and action poses are cool though.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
Nearby system! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiGGhpKpvE&t=66s

Oh man this looks really dumb, manually tracking each nearby pokemon. But it's not like it's worse than the current system. At least we know where they (some?) are.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Hazo posted:

Update just dropped here. I love the new feature where you can poke the Pokemon and it does a little action pose :3:

Same on both counts, weird how used to the zoomed out view I was. So far no problems with the update, caught a pidgey same as always. I hope Pikachu isn't the only one who changes stance after 10k; I wanna ride a dragon or fire unicorn :horse:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Wow, super cool that some people get to find where Pokemon actually are while others are just hosed with a non working tracking system. Good job niantic.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nowa posted:

There's a stop near my work that get's lured occasionally during the lunch hour.

I'm already numb to the spawn rates but I can't imagine how disheartening this is for new players:

Niantic: If you want players to spend money on incense and lure modules (and not just pocket-purchase them), tune your RNG!

A pack of MTG cards comes with something like 7 commons, 3 uncommons, and 1 rare/legendary. People are happy to buy these. Learn from this.

One of the lures I used spawned ten magikarp.

I really don't see the reason anyone spends money on them right now.

Oh and for those who use your own maps (or any maps) the new version has changed the Unknown6 encrypted checksum in some unknown way. As soon as Niantic starts enforcing use of the update all maps and scanners will cease working.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 13, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They'd be worth money to business owners, but you can get them for free by making new accounts :ssh:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

Wow, super cool that some people get to find where Pokemon actually are while others are just hosed with a non working tracking system. Good job niantic.

Yes testing something prior to rolling it out to all users is a terrible idea that no tech company has ever used.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

zeldadude posted:

DRATINI DRATINI DRATINI

Or was that a joke that went over my head I don't even know anymore.

I never thought that this game out of all games would turn guys into macho manly bros but welp, it happened. Had a guy challenge me to a fight on good old Facebook last night because.. he's 100% certain I'll be banned for using the APK and I'm 99.9% certain I won't? Thanks for the concern though, guy.

Jesus Christ I thought playing Pokemon would rid me of these idiots :sigh:

No, it was just me having an incompetent moment of typing. :(

I had a similar experience. I shared instructions with some Facebook groups I'm part of. Someone tried to tell me that I was trying to give everyone a virus and get their accounts banned.

Honestly, what's going on is that a decent amount of people are scared of technology, not very bright, and lack initiative. These people make excuses ("you'll get banned!") for their jealously/self-loathing and lash out.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Welp, rooting certainly is banned. See you guys next outdoor mobage.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Wait, you actually believe this?

holy loving :lol::lol:

Shifty Pony posted:

Nobody is cheating. You just don't understand how App Store rollouts work.

Google allows you to have the new version of app be released in a matter of minutes once it passes a few automated checks. You can have everyone get the update simultaneously but most developers (Niantic included) use a staged rollout where only a certain percentage of people get the update each day. This way if there is a major bug missed during testing you'll catch it when the crash reports or bad reviews start coming in and you can halt and revert the rollout without pissing off everyone.

Apple on the other hand actually manually reviews the updated app to check that it works and that you aren't trying to circumvent an App Store rule through an update. Because of that the approval takes a day or two. Apple also doesn't allow staged rollouts so when it goes live it goes live for everyone.

So right now Google Play is in a staged rollout and Apple is reviewing the app. That's why you see a bunch of people (all on android) with the new app but you don't have it. Nobody is cheating, everything is working as intended. If Niantic cared about everyone getting it at the same moment they would have submitted it to Apple then full-released it on Google the instant it passed Apple's review, or release it like they are but with the buddy system disabled server-side for a few days.

It's still going around the normal way of installing an update and getting it earlier than you should be. Like I said, it's minor since eventually everyone got it, but it takes some weird mental gymnastics to justify how it's not cheating. Dunno what else there is to say :shrug: My android friends just got their updates a little while ago.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Update now available for all three phones in my house too.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Julio Cruz posted:

Yes testing something prior to rolling it out to all users is a terrible idea that no tech company has ever used.

thank you for saying this so I didn't have to.

--

Excited for my bulba-buddy.. we're going to make an army of Vaposlayers.

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm speaking for Fenarisk but I think he meant that this new tracking system only helps those that are surrounded by pokestops (ie. those that probably didn't need any help anyways).

If you have no pokestops near you, you won't see any benefit what-so-ever.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Got the update. Now I can finally eventually live the dream of evolving a pokemon that doesn't end in "doran" or "weedle"

edit: every time i close it now, it gives me a notification that I closed the app, and i can open it again if i want. Thanks, Niantic :thumbsup:

Hrist fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 13, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

post your buddy

this is my buddy

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

motoh posted:

There's an easy workaround someone posted last page or the page before hth

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Nowa posted:

I'm speaking for Fenarisk but I think he meant that this new tracking system only helps those that are surrounded by pokestops (ie. those that probably didn't need any help anyways).

If you have no pokestops near you, you won't see any benefit what-so-ever.

Valid, though that's not how I read it at all. Sounded more like standard 'wah, not fair that some people get things first!!11'

For anyone whinging that SF gets tracking first, of course they're going to test things rigorously in a small sample size before releasing it to the entire world, no poo poo. SF makes sense because that's where headquarters are, and enough people are playing to give valid feedback about how alternative tracking works in the real world.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

motoh posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/11/guide-play-pokemon-go-0-37-rooted-android-magisk/

android police already has a workaround

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh and for those who use your own maps (or any maps) the new version has changed the Unknown6 encrypted checksum in some unknown way. As soon as Niantic starts enforcing use of the update all maps and scanners will cease working.

for about 42 hours until pokemongodev cracks it and initiates another celebratory circlejerk

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Frown Town posted:

Valid, though that's not how I read it at all. Sounded more like standard 'wah, not fair that some people get things first!!11'

For anyone whinging that SF gets tracking first, of course they're going to test things rigorously in a small sample size before releasing it to the entire world, no poo poo. SF makes sense because that's where headquarters are, and enough people are playing to give valid feedback about how alternative tracking works in the real world.

I don't think they enabled it in SF just for player feedback, what kind of feedback could people even give? I think they either they did it for backend stress testing or there is some issue that's preventing them from deploying it worldwide.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Kelp Plankton posted:

post your buddy

Watch out! :ohdear:

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Broseph Brostar posted:

I don't think they enabled it in SF just for player feedback, what kind of feedback could people even give? I think they either they did it for backend stress testing or there is some issue that's preventing them from deploying it worldwide.

Probably all of the above is my guess. We know that the old footprint tracking system was causing stability issues, so they probably want to avoid a repeat of super tracking fails.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I hope you guys know the shoulder thing is for Pikachu only. Kind of like how it's the only Pokemon that has custom sounds from the anime instead of playing its original Game Boy grunts and beeps.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Willsun posted:

I hope you guys know the shoulder thing is for Pikachu only. Kind of like how it's the only Pokemon that has custom sounds from the anime instead of playing its original Game Boy grunts and beeps.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 358 days!

Kelp Plankton posted:

post your buddy

once it becomes a flareon i'll rename to "hot fuzz"

Willsun posted:

cough

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope my Jigglypuff isn't too fat for my shoulders.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

is pikachu supposed to be on your shoulder? mine just stands on the ground.

is it dependent on size?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 358 days!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope my Jigglypuff isn't too fat for my shoulders.

sorry bud

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Kelp Plankton posted:

is pikachu supposed to be on your shoulder? mine just stands on the ground.

is it dependent on size?

After you gain 10 candies with it then it will sit on your shoulder.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

It's still going around the normal way of installing an update and getting it earlier than you should be. Like I said, it's minor since eventually everyone got it, but it takes some weird mental gymnastics to justify how it's not cheating. Dunno what else there is to say :shrug: My android friends just got their updates a little while ago.

I think it takes mental gymnastics to think it's cheating. It's a system in place to protect less technologistic people. It's not like it's an alpha version of the game or something that someone ripped off their server. It was officially released, and the nature of the roll-out process is to limit the numbers in case something goes wrong.

Nothing is wrong with the patch. You're free to update your game. There are even bug fixes, like the switching network/crashing thing.

Like really, where does cheating come into it? People are getting a few candies a little sooner? I haven't even finished my first km on my jiggly. Is there something else?

edit: actually. I could argue that people who got the patch from Niantic early are "cheating". they have an unfair advantage over people who don't have the patch yet.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 13, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Kelp Plankton posted:

post your buddy

My dragon pal and me.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

TRON JEREMY posted:

once it becomes a flareon i'll rename to "hot fuzz"

:golfclap:

I'm going to run through a bunch of the rare crap that doesn't spawn here so I can check off the evolutions I'm missing. Ground/Rock types here I come! Sandshrew first. :3:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I don't know if I'll be able to fit him on my shoulder :ohdear:

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

too bad I can't do jigglypuff from above. also super disappointed that I can only scroll down from the bottom of the screen now. why in the hell..

edit: vv Teach your Lapras surf with HM03 and you can ride it in water.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 13, 2016

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Welp, I guess that's what I get for reading trending news headlines only.

I just want Lapras on my shoulders. :(

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The game thinks my phone is rooted despite me updating it years ago, and the only fix requires it to be rooted :v:

Guess I'm done with this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

The game thinks my phone is rooted despite me updating it years ago, and the only fix requires it to be rooted :v:

Guess I'm done with this game

But you could always just root your phone right? That sounds like a really stupid work around though, shame on Niantic. What's next, DRM protection? Authenticator and Captcha on login? Secondary login servers?

• Locked thread