Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

It's hilarious that people think this guy is being sincere. You dimwits are being 'trolled' and by mocking the OP, you're falling into his trap. Every time you insult him or give him words of encouragement, you make him stronger. He's probably laughing his tits off right now.

Trolling is a fake idea, Goofus.

It doesn't make much difference if he's 'laughing on the inside' when, in both his public and private interactions, he's a consummate sulky sadbrain.

The true accomplishment would be to simply make good art & posts. On the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Actually, the phrase was "laughing his tits off."

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Good job OP, love this stuff. Obviously it's not going to be to everyone's liking but this is a forum where comic book movies regularly have hundreds of pages of discussion, so I wouldn't fret over it. I thought it was incredibly thought-provoking, and if everyone posting the same white noise poo poo actually took the time to try and create a piece of art half as good as yours the world would be a much better place. Bravo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Actually, the phrase was "laughing his tits off."

Same diff.

It's like Yaws' assertion that he's laughing really hard while simultaneously vomiting with disgust. There's nothing in the actual form of the writing that conveys these things, so he's reduced to blankly explaining what a troll is. A troll is a magical creature. I'm vomiting.

Yaws is preoccupied with the idea of being overcome with laughter in the same way OP is preoccupied with the idea of being supremely talented. The truth is that OP is deploying a variation on the ol' Sovereign Citizen logic, where if he uses certain codes, he can unlock a hidden status.

In the words of Dr. Gene Ray, OP has been "educated stupid" - effectively taught that artistry comes from having a disease, and thorough citations . Not from, y'know, actually using his chosen media to communicate.

All he's currently communicating is that he's completely given up, but still feels entitled to some reward.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

You're doing good.

If I understand correctly, the intent of the thread is to insult the OP hard enough that he crawls under his bed and dies, completing Gregor's arc from Die Verwandlung, and freeing his family from burden and embarrassment.

Edit: Gregor in the book can't communicate either.

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 13, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Even if that were the case, he's skipped over the actual metamorphosis part. And OP himself isn't actually identified with the 'glitch' in the film.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Basebf555 posted:

Right, but maybe if you recorded a hundred people saying "bless you", edited them together into a big montage, and played it at an art exhibit while you stand there sneezing, it would be awesome? I dunno, I'm no artist.

I think it would be more impactful to record a hundred people taking a dump and groaning and farting, edit all that together into a continuous chorus of misery, and at the end wipe your rear end and throw the used toilet paper into the audience like a brown and white bouquet

e: alternatively have a hundred guys jerk off into the tank of a super soaker and at showtime squirt it over the audience

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 13, 2016

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This discussion kinda reminds me of This House Has People in It, one of Adult Swim's "Infomercial" shorts. It's about a girl falling through the floor (in a bit of a computer-glitch-like manner) while her family initially reacts with disgust at her behavior.

But it's kind of interesting so maybe it doesn't belong in this thread.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
I dig this. It's like surreal folk art or anti-art.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even if that were the case, he's skipped over the actual metamorphosis part. And OP himself isn't actually identified with the 'glitch' in the film.

I think the metamorphosis happened his senior year in college, right before he got put on academic probation (Gregor got fired). The glitch is Gregor's disability that keeps him shut in his room and the reason everyone's happy when he dies. In other words, the OP's personality.

The only problem I see is Gregor was the breadwinner before he became a burden on his family. So the metamorphosis story is really about your parents getting ill, and not a college kid who may have been a burden even before his transformation.

But anyway, if this thread plays out like the book, someone will have to point out that his sister's looking pretty hot in the final post.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
This movie is better than BvS, Star Wars Prequels, Transformers, and AvP.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Right, but maybe if you recorded a hundred people saying "bless you", edited them together into a big montage, and played it at an art exhibit while you stand there sneezing, it would be awesome? I dunno, I'm no artist.

the difference between a lame idea and a great one is willingness to take it an extra step further, and the OP felt that putting any sincere effort into the execution of his nine-year thesis would show an unacceptable level of Care.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I think the metamorphosis happened his year in college, right before he got put on academic probation (Gregor got fired). The glitch is Gregor's disability that keeps him shut in his room and the reason everyone's happy when he dies. In other words, the OP's personality.

But that's on the level of plot content.

In formal terms, OP's perspective is the detached god's-eye perspective. He's putting himself in the shoes of a god - or 'society' - characterized by indifference.

OP's message is that he doesn't care about Gregor, or about himself. Moreover, that nobody should care. OP 'used to be like that', but now he's on the winning team. He's an Artist. He's Picasso. And the people crowded around the door, who must care about Gregor to some extent, are presented with disdain. Can't those compassionate idiots see that everything is meaningless and nothing matters?

But note that Gregor doesn't even open the door. He just assumes that people despise him. And the lengthy 'takes' succeed only at deterring the audience from identifying with those concerned townsfolk.

That was the goal behind the "abrasion", after all, wasn't it? to crush our spirits. To prevent us from ever caring. To spread indifference like a sickness and punish goodwill.

So that's the narrative, Gregor simply wallows in self-pity until he dies - at which point he 'boards the streetcar' and returns as an 'enlightened' nihilist-god who confirms that he deserved it.

But the real question is why Gregor, having become a god, continually returns to this bedroom, to stare blankly at himself. The narrative is circular. It keeps happening. So it's as though he's trying to convince himself of something. He's making a concerted effort to not-care. Putting all the powers of a god into not-caring. He could have animated a beautiful woman, or Sonic's dick, but instead he chose this.

In the end, the "abrasion" failed. Nobody sat through the whole thing. Everyone turned it off, fast-forwarded, skipped to the end... We all sided with the townsfolk against this reactionary garbage.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 13, 2016

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

In the end, the "abrasion" failed. Nobody sat through the whole thing. Everyone turned it off, fast-forwarded, skipped to the end... We all sided with the townsfolk against this reactionary garbage.

Wrong

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Someone now needs to spend 9 years of their life watching this animation on loop constantly. That would make this all even more artistic.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I don't believe that for even a second.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the difference between a lame idea and a great one is willingness to take it an extra step further, and the OP felt that putting any sincere effort into the execution of his nine-year thesis would show an unacceptable level of Care.

This is close to the truth. I didn't think my audience was worthy of getting what they want.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

your audience had the sense to skip the video when they saw it contained nothing of value and is having a bit of fun calling you a jagoff for your personal demeanor before moving on to more worthwhile pursuits, but you can never get your life back, not even the span of it you spent posting here. You were too afraid to try for anything worthwhile, because that carried the possibility you might fail, and so wasted your time on garbage and told yourself that made you smarter than everyone else.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 13, 2016

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Doredrin posted:

This is close to the truth. I didn't think my audience was worthy of getting what they want.

You don't get to decide that, I don't think you "get" art.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The title of this thread is misleading because most of this time OP only thought about doing a project.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doredrin posted:

No, the truth is that you wanted your audience to stare at a picture of a squirrel for half an hour. Then you sabotaged yourself. You made a picture unworthy of being watched by anyone, for any amount of time.

You are now rationalizing that failure, telling yourself that you planned it all along.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's amusing to me that the OP's professor directed Delgo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Doredrin posted:

So you're plan as an artist is to figure out what your potential audience would want, and then purposely avoid giving it to them? Enjoy never moving out of your parents house.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

So you're plan as an artist is to figure out what your potential audience would want, and then purposely avoid giving it to them? Enjoy never moving out of your parents house.

I'm sure his parents will get sick of carrying him eventually.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm sure his parents will get sick of carrying him eventually.

Or die, and have nothing to leave him because he spent his entire life on their dime.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Or die, and have nothing to leave him because he spent his entire life on their dime.

The standard plan in that scenario is to sell the house, use part of the proceeds for a trailer, then put away the rest and try drink yourself to death before it runs out.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

So that's the narrative, Gregor simply wallows in self-pity until he dies - at which point he 'boards the streetcar' and returns as an 'enlightened' nihilist-god who confirms that he deserved it.

Gregor doesn't "board the streetcar". He dies at the end of the story and his family takes a streetcar ride without him and thinks about how much better their life is going to be without him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doredrin posted:

Gregor doesn't "board the streetcar". He dies at the end of the story and his family takes a streetcar ride without him and thinks about how much better their life is going to be without him.

Nope, there's nothing in the form of your clip-show to indicate that.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Gregor represents Kafka and Gregor's family represents Kafka's works

e: OP, do you think your project would be appreciated more had someone stumbled upon it after you had passed away rather than if you had put it out there yourself?

Macnult fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 13, 2016

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I don't really "get" art. But I can't believe the OP compared himself to Van Gogh.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Nope, there's nothing in the form of your clip-show to indicate that.

If you read the novella you would know that happened. It follows the original story extremely closely.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Doredrin posted:

If you read the novella you would know that happened. It follows the original story extremely closely.

U made a short film not a novella ya dork

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doredrin posted:

So you haven't made a standalone art piece, you've made some poor quality images to add into the book.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doredrin posted:

I am not talking about the novella. I am talking about the form of your adaptation.

For example: you refer to the characters, in your posts, as 'a family' because that was the case in the novella. However, you did absolutely nothing to establish any sort of familial relationship between the characters in your adaptation. As a result - specifically because of the lack of familial traits - the characters read as random townsfolk. Perhaps the bearded man is the police commissioner or mayor, called in to investigate this situation.

Remember that you changed the insect into a computer glitch, and changed the setting to Toronto in the latter half of the 20th century (long after Kafka's death, in other words). And you removed the part where the character metamorphoses into a bug - which is why the metamorphosis of the title is now implicitly the death and ascension. Your clip-show is not the same as the book at all.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This is some next-level primo black belt post-ironic trolling. Truly the finest I've ever tasted.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Who trolls the trollmen :shrug:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Voted 5. This thread's on a roll.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

I am not talking about the novella. I am talking about the form of your adaptation.

It would be quite clear to any reader who was familiar with the events of the novella that my film was a faithful adaptation in the same vein as the Lord of the Rings live action movies.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Doredrin posted:

It would be quite clear to any reader who was familiar with the events of the novella that my film was a faithful adaptation in the same vein as the Lord of the Rings live action movies.
Man, gently caress loss.jpg, please do a 9 hour version of LotR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Doredrin posted:

It would be quite clear to any reader who was familiar with the events of the novella that my film was a faithful adaptation in the same vein as The Hobbit live action movies.

FTFY.

• Locked thread